• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Discussion of "Free For All" Meta

Gleam

Smash Ace
I wanted to discuss the potential of a Free For All Meta and what a competitive "Free For All" setting would be like in Ultimate. When you get down to it, the competitive scene in Smash in both linear and limited and while certain rules are certainly necessary in such things as 1v1, it is clearly not the only way to play the game. Not just in the idea that, we have items, so why don't we use them? I mean in the sense that we could create an entire meta based upon item use if necessary. Though that would be an entirely different topic to discuss.

I wanted to discuss the potential of, again, a "Free For All" meta, specifically 4 characters. It's often said that some characters, such as :ultganondorf: improve greatly upon Free For Alls. Likewise there are other characters who are noted to be rustier when it comes to Free For Alls. Free For All might seem very chaotic, unordered and random compared to singular play, but the more I try it, the more I begin to see a broader picture of capabilities. It might be easier to land some KOs with Ganondorf than in Single Play but just running around trying to F-Smash at random isn't going to help you much more than if you did it in single play.

Some things I'd thought would be unique in discussion.

1.) Stage Discussion. Single play is very limited, for obvious reasons, in stage usage. How would Free For All effect the usage of stages? Would we allow non-hazard banned stages? What about when a match comes down to the last two people and the issues that would plague those stages in a normal match, now become apparent here? What about a "Time" match (which I"ll get to later) in which things like victory are made through sheer KO and there's no permanent deaths in a match?

2.) What would be the implications of having "Stock" matches and "Time" matches? By stock, I mean everyone starts with say, 3 stocks and last person standing wins. It makes sense but it also leads to some interesting ideas. For example, the number of KOs you get means very little, as just simply surviving. You could be a monster and get 7 KOs, taking out 2 players and leaving one with one stock...but if that one player beats you, its their victory. How would such a thing effect characters? Ganondorf is said to be very good in Free For All, and for argument sake, let's say he is. But in "Stock Match" you will basically get down to a 1v1 and once that happens, you increase the likelihood of character's strengths or weaknesses increasing or decreasing. But what if we had "Time" in which contestants had a certain amount of time to just, get KOs. How would that affect the meta? In the small example I gave above, that character who got 7 KOs would be the winner in this match regardless of if he got 3 KOed by some other person without touching them.

3.) What are the implications of Steal Killing? Mario can combo someone to 100% all day, but if Ganondorf comes in and gets one U-Smash, he will technically get that victory? Especially if this was a time match? In this regard, victory comes not really to the most complex, but really to the simplified.

4.) Another good question is, how do you approach matches? Should you risk jumping off stage to secure a KO, knowing you might put yourself at risk of potentially two other players on stage? When do you back off and let others handle each other? When is it wise to get into the fray and try to secure KOs? In a "Stock" match, since # of KOs is not important, would your character rather stay back and pick off the weak? How would certain aspects such as camping work?

And the questions will only increase more from here. But I did want to bring up the possibility of what such a new Meta could bring not only to players but to characters. Personally, I don't think Ganondorf or Mac will ever be good in Ultimate in terms of 1v1. I think there is just too much going against them in terms of design for it to work, as much as I hope I'm wrong. If a potential new meta would change perception of some characters, it might finally give them worth being praised for something.

This topic really influenced by a quick comment in the "Competitive Character" discussion, in which Thinkman noted his support in the idea that Little Mac was far better than what people believed because he, as a character, was firmly registered in singular aspect of the game. It made me think for the first time, the idea that, so many characters who could be good in something, are forced to reside in their worst state when it comes to competitive play.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Free for all rewards avoiding conflict, securing good items to snowball the stage control, stealing kills, and forming secret alliances if more than 1 people can advance to the next round. So a mix of defensive play, luck, opportunism and bracket manipulation.

None of this is interesting to play, play against, or watch.

I've already organized and attended multiple events with different rulesets. Free for all has no competitive value. If you want to make a game competitive with more than 2 players on screen then you should involve teams and reflect really hard on which items you want to allow to spawn.

Here's something that's worked fine for example :
-4v4
-1 stock 5 minutes
-big battlefield only
-special flags on low
-share stock allowed
-last team alive or the team with more stocks at the end of the timer wins

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
FFAs are certainly interesting. I've done quite a few stock FFA matches with friends. We played on PS2, Town, Battlefield, and FD, all of which seemed to work fine for FFAs. I'd imagine small stages like Small Battlefield, Smashville, Lylat, and Yoshi's Story would feel pretty cramped for FFAs with more than three players, so sticking to the big legal stages for FFAs would probably be the way to go.

My favorite character to play for FFAs is K Rool. Projectiles are great in FFAs, especially items off which is my preference, and he's got two. Strong kill power, with the weight and recovery to live for ages, which is very important in stock FFAs

Gleam

Smash Ace
I didn't even realize this topic had been accepted.

Either way, I completely disagree with the notion that there's no meta in this kind of game and I'm sorry to say it just seems like an inability to actually look into, try and evolve a a meta that is so limited now a days. If your going to limit your exposure and possibilities of this game, that's your own fault. I'm still interested in seeing what can be brought to the table with such an idea.

With that said, I do think it's wise to limit discussion to specific topics because the more you add to the variety of the game, the more you have to tweak the rules and regulations. For argument sake I say we should stick with...

1.) The legal stages
2.) No items
3.) 4 Characters
So at the very least there is an equality of both stage and preparation of characters. We also limit the mass number of characters. I wouldn't even be against discussion of say a 3-For All. No sudden items or unfair stage control. Just Battlefield or FD or whatever, plain and simple. So it brings up to one of my major points in the opening post. The difference between a "Stock" and a "Time"

1.) How many stocks?
2.) How long a time?
3.) How would characters fair within each section of such a meta?

My favorite character to play for FFAs is K Rool. Projectiles are great in FFAs, especially items off which is my preference, and he's got two. Strong kill power, with the weight and recovery to live for ages, which is very important in stock FFAs
It's definitely in consideration that :ultkrool: is a free for all character, as can be said for most of the Heavy Weights. But it does merit asking how you think K-Rool would fair in each environment mentioned above? Rool has gotten some major buffs, to the point that he might even be Mid Tier now. Assuming that's true, I wonder if you'd have more confidence in using K Rool in a stock match knowing that, to win you'll probably have to get into a 1V1 match with the final opponent.

For me, using Ganondorf, I'm not that confident. Ganon is still one, if not the worst solo character in the game and I'm certainly not confident enough that I can hold a 2-3 stock lead over my final opponent. When stocks aren't a problem and it just comes down to sheer KO numbers, I feel more confident.

It's also worth asking how this would effect normally great 1v1 characters. Let's assume Joker isn't that good in Free For All. I don't know and that's why we discuss things. But what we do know is that he's currently very good in 1v1. How would you feel in using Joker? Would you be confident enough in using Joker knowing that the things Joker is good at it might not be as probable in the chaoticness of the Free For All beginnings? Is it worth using a character who is limited to the beginning of a match but if they can last long enough, their greatest strengths will show up.

And, not to make the post too long but to finish it up with the second question. Would someone like Joker be any better in Time matches. Base Joker, I assume, isn't going to do too well, but Persona Joker seems like a whole different game.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I didn't even realize this topic had been accepted.

Either way, I completely disagree with the notion that there's no meta in this kind of game and I'm sorry to say it just seems like an inability to actually look into, try and evolve a a meta that is so limited now a days. If your going to limit your exposure and possibilities of this game, that's your own fault. I'm still interested in seeing what can be brought to the table with such an idea.

With that said, I do think it's wise to limit discussion to specific topics because the more you add to the variety of the game, the more you have to tweak the rules and regulations. For argument sake I say we should stick with...

1.) The legal stages
2.) No items
3.) 4 Characters
So at the very least there is an equality of both stage and preparation of characters. We also limit the mass number of characters. I wouldn't even be against discussion of say a 3-For All. No sudden items or unfair stage control. Just Battlefield or FD or whatever, plain and simple. So it brings up to one of my major points in the opening post. The difference between a "Stock" and a "Time"

1.) How many stocks?
2.) How long a time?
3.) How would characters fair within each section of such a meta?

It's definitely in consideration that :ultkrool: is a free for all character, as can be said for most of the Heavy Weights. But it does merit asking how you think K-Rool would fair in each environment mentioned above? Rool has gotten some major buffs, to the point that he might even be Mid Tier now. Assuming that's true, I wonder if you'd have more confidence in using K Rool in a stock match knowing that, to win you'll probably have to get into a 1V1 match with the final opponent.

For me, using Ganondorf, I'm not that confident. Ganon is still one, if not the worst solo character in the game and I'm certainly not confident enough that I can hold a 2-3 stock lead over my final opponent. When stocks aren't a problem and it just comes down to sheer KO numbers, I feel more confident.

It's also worth asking how this would effect normally great 1v1 characters. Let's assume Joker isn't that good in Free For All. I don't know and that's why we discuss things. But what we do know is that he's currently very good in 1v1. How would you feel in using Joker? Would you be confident enough in using Joker knowing that the things Joker is good at it might not be as probable in the chaoticness of the Free For All beginnings? Is it worth using a character who is limited to the beginning of a match but if they can last long enough, their greatest strengths will show up.

And, not to make the post too long but to finish it up with the second question. Would someone like Joker be any better in Time matches. Base Joker, I assume, isn't going to do too well, but Persona Joker seems like a whole different game.
For stock matches, I would prefer K Rool. Heavies are better here because survival is the key. You're less likely to get comboed a lot when others can disrupt. Projectiles allow Rool to run away and camp sometimes, which is good. Bowser's Fire Breath is the only other projectile (or at least, sorta-projectile) a super heavy has, which imo is inferior to Kanonball and Krown which can travel much further. You may be thinking about Dedede Gordos, but those can be deflected with any attack, so not a great idea, imo. K Rool's recovery also loses a lot of its weaknesses when people are going to be busy in the fray and a lot less likely to keep throwing projectiles and bairs at it. And yes, K Rool will eventually have to 1v1, but the idea is that your survivability is so strong, you'll still only be on stock 2 by the time your last foe is on stock 1.

Joker might be a good FFA character, though he does rely a lot on combo strings that have a good chance of getting disrupted, and is obviously a lot lighter than K Rool. You'll get Arsene a lot, though, and can probably do well with Gun shenaningans. I'd go K Rool, but I'd imagine Joker wouldn't be too bad.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
The problem with FFA is that teaming up with another player is far too strong, you can see this even when playing casually, inevitably two people decide to work together and it ruins the experience for everyone. As such, pretty much everything FFA does well team battles simply do better. Even if you have an uneven number of players it's usually better to add an AI to one of the teams rather than to play FFA.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I think you need to involve time (not stocks) if you're going to do FFAs. With timed matches, you somewhat encourage going in for kills rather than just staying alive as long as possible. With stocks, you encourage everything brought up by teluoborg above already, which is extremely boring to play and watch.

When it comes to competitive settings, I don't think FFAs have any value whatsoever though. Even with time involved, you still encourage stealing kills which still somewhat rewards camping and avoiding conflict.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I think you need to involve time (not stocks) if you're going to do FFAs. With timed matches, you somewhat encourage going in for kills rather than just staying alive as long as possible. With stocks, you encourage everything brought up by teluoborg above already, which is extremely boring to play and watch.

When it comes to competitive settings, I don't think FFAs have any value whatsoever though. Even with time involved, you still encourage stealing kills which still somewhat rewards camping and avoiding conflict.
I think FFAs are actually 'close' to some semblance of competitive viability, but there's nothing on the user end we can really do it make it work.

IMO set item spawn points, and Mario Kart 'rubberband' style item selection would be how. (Assuming they could even 'tier' the items properly)

And at that point, just making online good enough for doubles would likely be the overall better effort.

Last edited:
Top Bottom