• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Discussion about the new jab

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
Hello, it's me again with another guide for a move you'd think isn't important, but actually is. The tl;dr version is that, while Villager's jab is no longer a lethal combo enabler, it can act as a fail-safe and rack up tons of damage when you use it against a tree or platform's edge.

First off (shameless plug) I recommend watching this video I made about new jab mechanics, with a focus on Villager:

• As a universal change, all jab infinites are very easy to SDI out of, EXCEPT when one of the fighters is on the edge of a platform, with the greatest effect being when it's the target who's on the edge. Catch them in this position and you can hold the infinite long enough to deal 25+ damage.
    • If you want to use your jab to defeat get-up options, you need to stand back. Don't use it on the edge or your opponent will move through you when they get up.
  • Instead of a ledge, you can also use the jab infinite against a tree. Or catch them between a ledge AND a tree and your jab combo deals 45-60%!
Villager's jab comes out on frame 3, making it the only confirm to follow up a landing n-air against fresh opponents (0-20%). This combo deals about 23 damage. The jab's speed also makes it a reliable fail-safe if your opponent shields against any landing aerial, beating many out-of-shield options. You can even outspeed opponents who've just parried your bowling ball!

So there. Villager's new jab is actually secretly not that bad. It has a few very specific uses which can give it more payoff than just the opportunity to spawn a gyroid. Let me know if these techniques make a difference in your matchups, or if you've found other uses!

D

Deleted member

Arguably no one has said it's a bad jab, it still has a good frame data and hitboxes, it just doesn't combo anymore and it makes it a complete nerf compared to 4's jab, which could lead into KO's.

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
Arguably no one has said it's a bad jab, it still has a good frame data and hitboxes, it just doesn't combo anymore and it makes it a complete nerf compared to 4's jab, which could lead into KO's.
I've certainly said it's a bad jab, and I've only seen people agreeing. The hitbox is trash and the damage, under most conditions, is rock bottom.

Then one day I realized that, in traditional Villager fashion, this move was mostly bad because I was looking at it through the lens of a "standard" fighter. Jab infinites work very differently in Ultimate, and on top of that Villager's is even weirder.

Top Bottom