• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Disciplining Inactivity?

How should we penalize inactivity?

• Total voters

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I was re-reading scumchat from TF Mafia, and I just remembered that I wanted to bring this up post-game after Dastrn commented on my post on inactivity. Inactivity has reached embarrassing new heights in DGamesia, and if we continue to let inactivity go unpunished for much longer, our Mafia community may fall apart. Town has been completely obliterating itself over the fact that half of participants refuse to participate, and lot of the players who would be active under normal circumstances are either screwed over by real-life garbage or disheartened by others' inactivity.

Inactivity went controlled fairly well in the past because a majority of the game's players would put a good amount of time and effort in and the few inactives would get replaced by active replacements, but in TF Mafia, we had 5 people (almost half the game) post under 100 times in-game. Of those 5 people, 2 posted under 50 times in game. Additionally, we had someone who replaced out after a phase of posting very little, and to top it off there were prod dodges 'til kingdom come.

I propose that we either make a short-term blacklist, actually enforce modkills (unless there are announced V/LAs, but those who will be away for an entire phase should probably just replace out), or have a required number of replacements (2 is probably a good number) before a game may begin. The blacklist could be made for players who didn't achieve a certain number of posts in a game (counter per phase so that people killed D1 won't be treated harsher than those killed last phase), as that would encourage activity.The blacklist post number should be lower for scum, however, because coasting is a legit strat. It's a garbage strat, but I wouldn't ban it because it's an actual tactic that could be crippling to one side or another if removed.

In addition, we probably shouldn't blacklist anyone for super long periods of time (and probably shouldn't blackmail players in minis at all since they're supposed to be oriented towards new players.) We should give them enough time to think about the their lack of action, have them make sure they can afford to spend time playing Mafia before signing up again, and help them to get their lives back together before allowing them to give Mafia another shot. I was thinking a month after a game ends for severe inactivity, half a month after the game ends for moderate inactivity, and until the game ends for replacing out. These time periods are all up for debate, though.

The replacement requirement would be good because if people in-game don't think they can handle a game of Mafia at any point in time or have been very inactive and the mod deems it appropriate for their slot to be passed on to someone else, they could just pass the torch and the replacement would already be there, waiting. If there are no replacements available, we should actually bother implementing modkills. I've only seen a couple of modkills before, once in Kingmaker (bad example) and once in Gheb's JR (good example). Most games I've played in have mods that don't comply to their own modkill rules and while it's true that flexibility is good for a mod, that flexibility should only go so far. There is a point at which a certain number of prods should require replacement or modkilling in order to discourage inactivity, and if you never act upon your own rules for disciplining inactivity, your rules will never be taken seriously.

So proceeding from this point on, we have a few options. We could:
1) Create a short-term blacklist
2) Enforcing Modkills
3) Required Number of Replacements, Forced Replacements
4) A mixture of the above
5) None of the above

Speak, debate, and hopefully you guys think long and hard about this. There is no right answer to solve inactivity and while it's completely based in human non-commitment and suckiness or real-life garbage that happens and we have no control over, there are steps we can take to minimize the damage. I'm pretty sick right now so I hope this post makes sense, I hope I clearly conveyed my points, and I hope this gets people thinking about ways to improve this community we have all come to know and love.

Last edited:

Xatres

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Xatres17
I've very much in favor of having an "Inactivity Watchlist."

Each time a player has to be prodded, GMs can add the players name to a watchlist. Multiple prods in a single game, or the need to replace a player, and the time they are on the watchlist will be extended. Mods of individual games will be able to decide how they want to deal with watchlist players. They may open sign-ups initially to only players who aren't on the watchlist, or they may ban them from entering entirely.

Repeated inactivity may result in a player being added to an Inactivity Blacklist, which essentially means that mods agree the player is banned from entering ALL games for a set period of time. This is reserved for the worst offenders.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I'm going to be keeping an eye on this thread.

Xatres said:
Repeated inactivity may result in a player being added to an Inactivity Blacklist, which essentially means that mods agree the player is banned from entering ALL games for a set period of time. This is reserved for the worst offenders.
This will not happen nor be allowed to occur. We are not "permabanning" people from games that all mods have to agree to. Mods are allowed to run games however they want with whoever they want.

Maven89

Smash Master
I don't really think we need a list, and vary rarely do we have a player that's inactive enough to constantly cause problems. In the year I've been here I can think of one player, and he was basically kicked out by the community anyways.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I'm going to be keeping an eye on this thread.

This will not happen nor be allowed to occur. We are not "permabanning" people from games that all mods have to agree to. Mods are allowed to run games however they want with whoever they want.
I believe that is implying that all the mods agree and therefore they are banned. Not that they are banned beforehand. That means that the mods ARE running games however they want.

It's still ****ing stupid.

The way you police inactivity is by lynching it repeatedly until it stops or leaves.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I'm guilt as well, but we allow games to be decided that way. Look how people show up when pressure is applied in TF mafia. Look at me for example. I ****ing showed up when people poked me because I didn't want to die. We do not need to wait for people to give us more information on their flip, and yes it sucks in that game, but if we don't address it as players, we can't fix it. I don't think we have the player counts to depend upon replacements or to ban people from entry. Any trying to force modkills through prod dodges will be subjective and absolutely unfair.

tl;dr

Lynch inactives or don't complain.

Maven89

Smash Master
Lynching innactives can ruin a game, though, and from my experience, when there's multiple inactives, no one really wants to go through the line and waste several game days lynching them. Plus, and I am definitely guilty of this, there's a real habit of inactives coming back for the votes, but haven't read anything, and never get around to actually reading in depth. So even though they're no longer inactive, they're not useful active.

At the same point, I don't think we should blacklist, though it definitely can be a useful deterrent. If someone is inactive, then starts being inactive in another game, the Mod throwing down a "please become inactive or repalce out, or I won't allow you in the next game I host" could easily serve as a better motivator then someone throwing down a vote for the person.

I think this is a useful conversation we need to have, but I'm also against any sort of site policy on the topic, we're a small group of players, we don't need to set up rules to cover ourselves, I firmly believe we're capable of policing ourselves

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
We already know who has trouble keeping mafia commitments. They already know who they are as well.

Reprimanding them won't likely change their behavior. People don't change, they rarely do. The issue with game consistency over an extended amount of game is likely not due to the individual player failing to accept that they have a problem. It's just that they honestly couldn't care less. To put this into a more actual example, I could tell you that there an issue of children suffering from malnutrition in Africa and I could tell you that most people couldn't care less. I'm not saying that they don't have any emotion, rather they don't care enough to take action in changing their behavior.

Another caveat is that how one approaches mafia is largely a matter of perspective. People largely view mafia as a game they use to relax and get away from real life responsibilities. They are part of a voting commune in something they think matters and they think all the minute nit picking of interactions is stupid and banal. However, because they don't take it seriously they don't bring it up and allow people to bicker while they abstract the more important reads that they will call gut reads. Like a renaissance painter they have found their own shortcut among the mess created by everyone else who put sweat and blood into interactions and forming circles upon which they have found out the underlying code. Why do they need to participate all the time if their playstyle either isn't to get into skirmishes, read into minute interactions, or if they just want to have some casual enjoyment?

Finally real life matters more than mafia. However, no one wants real life to hold back a mafia game from being launched. What this means is that real life matters more than any mafia game or games combined, however having people too committed to real life responsibilities could kill the site if people are too pragmatic and only queue in games where they can have 101% engagement. If a game on this site takes weeks to start and older people who subbed in drop out because now they are in a cram session at work, that in the minds of most people is the worst possible condition. There have been subforums closed on this site for a lack of participation and frequency. Therefore having half commitment or a quarter commitment is the lesser of the evils than having no one commit to any game in any form.

These are some of the macro issues concerning afk behavior on mafia sites in general.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I honestly already know I'm not the most active individual in the games I played in the past. So I haven't joined a game since I believe June due to my life being more busy than ever. Heck, I haven't even frequented the boards until much recently. To get to the point, Mafia requires dedication to participate and be an active help towards your team. Otherwise, you end up with players who like the idea of playing, but can't commit. I honestly think softbans (not permanent) would allow inactive players to think out whether they have the time and motivation as well to play. As the lack of consequences let players hit a wall of inactivity.
Now my question is how does a player improve their lack of activity even when they have the motivation to play mafia? As there are players that fall under this archetype.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
I don't even need to read the proposal; I've seen this argument plenty before in my history with this game. I think the conclusion is near the same every time: it's a noble idea, inactivity sucks, but what can you do about it? All of your proposed solutions to the problem of "inactivity ruins games" boils down to "prevent these players from playing." Right now, in the current state of DGames, that's not possible. Off the top of my head, you could remove J, Ryker, Maven, Orbo, Rake, and arguably myself depending on my interest in the game. Throw Soup in there. Some of those are simply for bad reasons, but J, Orbo, and Rake all have legitimate excuses as far as I know, simply due to IRL shenanigans. That's 7 players, almost enough for a mafia game, that simply cannot afford to. Throw in school, IRL, piling responsibilities, and other various distractions (such as the giant flashing LEAGUE OF LEGENDS sign) and you'd be severely hampering games' capabilities to start by restricting players from joining. It's a good idea at heart, but it's simply not a practical one.

:186:

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
How long are days here again? I know ya'll aren't as draconian as TeamLiquid, but I think making days a week long and having a minimum post requirement of 3 or something would be nice.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Invite really active posters to the game. People complain about spam posting and then post too little. I think a middle ground between the two is good. If I hosted again I'd probably go back to week deadlines. Activity used to be better back in the day. I think blacklisting will be too harsh for this community, we shouldn't make activity the law, we should *want* to post actively. Yet at the same time, you should refrain from influencing the game too much as a host.

Last edited:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I mean we are playing that cross over game this summer yes?

Top Bottom