• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Disappointed with Link

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Maybe, would of been nice if the Zelda cast got the Ike and Pokémon trainer treatment though.
Or even better...each alt is a different version of their character (well except for the two extra Links, they would just have different costumes)

Inactivepawn

Smash Rookie
I'm in Dallas just moved here and I played link, at 0% I didn't notice any blade beams and also I feel there's a lack of hitstun in ulimate overall making combos less possible.
I completely agree he needs his tether. Also his bombs I feel should explode on impact and if they don't allow for remote access.

Even though its already been said feels like a nerf and his down throw grab is interestingly... uh not good feeling if I'm being honest.

I'll be going back to play tomorrow, feel free to throw in a request to two, I'll be sure to report back.

Does Link have increased air speed? That's another thing I have no idea on. It would be really good for Link if he had increased air speed (probably one of the best things about Link in Melee).

As of right now, Link's recovery is Snake like. However, I don't think it will be as consistent because we currently don't know how the bombs send you. If Link z-drops a bomb and detonates it, where does it send Link flying?
I'll look into this tomorrow

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm in Dallas just moved here and I played link, at 0% I didn't notice any blade beams and also I feel there's a lack of hitstun in ulimate overall making combos less possible.
I completely agree he needs his tether. Also his bombs I feel should explode on impact and if they don't allow for remote access.

Even though its already been said feels like a nerf and his down throw grab is interestingly... uh not good feeling if I'm being honest.

I'll be going back to play tomorrow, feel free to throw in a request to two, I'll be sure to report back.

Blade Beam is only on Fsmash apparently.

Rizen

Smash Legend

See if Fair 1>land>upB/jab/grab is a combo, pls.

Riophilip

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1135-2901-6367
Switch FC
SW-6101-4928-8023
Am I the only one underwhelmed with what they decided to do with link? They could've made him a whole new awesome character but they decided to make small changes that basically end up nerfing him. I like how you get blade beams from his sword at 0%, but in reality how long does anyone stay at 0? Also, his tether grab is gone so he loses some of his range, along with his zair. His bombs now have to be detonated manually and that might be a buff or a nerf but it seems like there's a lot of lag on the trigger. They could've easily done the same thing they did to the inklings where his different smash attacks use different weapons or such. He could've had the champions abilities. Even his intro animation should've been the sheikah slate warp animation from BOTW. All of these changes probably would've been cooler to see. Hopefully the fact that none of the champions are present in the slightest means that they'll be DLC? What do you guys think?

I main Link. I actually play him properly. I know it sounds arrogant, but I actually know my stuff. I'm not your typical FG Link. And If there is one thing I can say about Link, It is that he is straight trash. In my eyes, he should be at the very bottom of the tier list. He has horrible frame data, horrible moves, enormous end lag. You can't change my mind. He sucks. Maybe they'll buff him in Ult.

Last edited:

Riophilip

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1135-2901-6367
Switch FC
SW-6101-4928-8023

This match makes me more optimistic. I love that he throws the bomb straight up and then manually detonates it. Given its blast radius, this is probably better than having the bomb require impact.

Chill, folks. Link will have a new meta.
I don't know, he's getting rekt in that video

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I main Link. I am the best Link I have ever fought. And If there is one thing I can say about Link, It is that he is straight trash. Absolute trash. In my eyes, he should be at the very bottom of the tier list. He has horrible frame data, horrible moves, enormous end lag. Link is trash. You can't change my mind. He sucks and will always suck. Even in ultimate.
Well, too bad for you, he isn't. And if you're the best Link you've ever fought, why do others rate him higher then?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Honestly, I think they changed Link too much. I want him to be a lefty and with no BotW mechanics and tools. Ultimate's Link deeply disappoints me that way.

D

Deleted member

He'll get his gear back in his left hand again one day.

For now was right to change up the look for Breath of the Wild.

Wouldn't worry about it.

Quillion

Smash Hero
He'll get his gear back in his left hand again one day.

For now was right to change up the look for Breath of the Wild.

Wouldn't worry about it.
But he also has no hookshot and those stupid light bombs.

How was this a good idea?

D

Deleted member

Hopefully it returns.

In the future but because he didn't have it in Breath of the wild makes sense. He would not have here.

It'll make do for now personally I like it.

Hopefully you can get some enjoyment out of playing as him all the best.

Riophilip

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1135-2901-6367
Switch FC
SW-6101-4928-8023
Well, too bad for you, he isn't. And if you're the best Link you've ever fought, why do others rate him higher then?
Sorry, I was a bit salty when writing this, but I still think Link isn't that good. The reason people rate him highly is because on a typical tier list the characters are ranked based on their moves themselves, not what you can DO with those moves. Sure Link has a fsmash that can sometimes kill lightweights at the edge at 80%, but how do you land something so slow? By "trash" I mean that Link isn't bad, just everyone else is way better. Link is also one of the few characters that doesn't do the work for you. I mean, take IzAw for example. He is the best Link IN THE WORLD. You watch his combo videos and you go: "HOLLY BAGEEZ!!" But when he actually fights a REAL opponent (who is not a random guy on FG) he can't put a dent in that diddy kong. I'm not saying IzAw's bad, I'm saying Link is.

And in Ultimate, they actually nerfed 3/4 of his specials. Uspecial - Removed vertical movement for horizontal movement... Even though he already had a terrible recovery... FSpecial - The windbox is gone. And so is the big hitbox. Dspecial - Sure, they reworked his bombs, but Link's bombs were his only good trait! I can kill at 60% with one of those bad boys! Now it's all gone.

I'm thinking to main Young Link...

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Sorry, I was a bit salty when writing this, but I still think Link isn't that good. The reason people rate him highly is because on a typical tier list the characters are ranked based on their moves themselves, not what you can DO with those moves. Sure Link has a fsmash that can sometimes kill lightweights at the edge at 80%, but how do you land something so slow? By "trash" I mean that Link isn't bad, just everyone else is way better. Link is also one of the few characters that doesn't do the work for you. I mean, take IzAw for example. He is the best Link IN THE WORLD. You watch his combo videos and you go: "HOLLY BAGEEZ!!" But when he actually fights a REAL opponent (who is not a random guy on FG) he can't put a dent in that diddy kong. I'm not saying IzAw's bad, I'm saying Link is.

And in Ultimate, they actually nerfed 3/4 of his specials. Uspecial - Removed vertical movement for horizontal movement... Even though he already had a terrible recovery... FSpecial - The windbox is gone. And so is the big hitbox. Dspecial - Sure, they reworked his bombs, but Link's bombs were his only good trait! I can kill at 60% with one of those bad boys! Now it's all gone.

I'm thinking to main Young Link...

BTW meleebrawler, whats your NAME on 3ds? You sound like you know your stuff. It'd be fun to fight someone who's NOT a Mario! Maybe I can show you what I mean.
No.

Fighting you in the few friendlies I might consider giving you won't prove a dang thing. Either I win (regardless of whether the character I use is top or bottom tier) and you take it as further proof for your "opinion", or I lose and you simply attribute it to your greater skill or me sandbagging and your opinion on Link remains unchanged. I don't trust you not to twist the narrative of our matches to suit it. To say nothing of potential skill gaps and lag.

I see no point in friending each when by the time I get Ultimate, I'll probably never touch 4's online again, let alone on the 3DS. I only recently came back to Smashboards for this game in particular, and as such have no interest in labbing anything further for 4.

Riophilip

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1135-2901-6367
Switch FC
SW-6101-4928-8023
No.

Fighting you in the few friendlies I might consider giving you won't prove a dang thing. Either I win (regardless of whether the character I use is top or bottom tier) and you take it as further proof for your "opinion", or I lose and you simply attribute it to your greater skill or me sandbagging and your opinion on Link remains unchanged. I don't trust you not to twist the narrative of our matches to suit it. To say nothing of potential skill gaps and lag.

I see no point in friending each when by the time I get Ultimate, I'll probably never touch 4's online again, let alone on the 3DS. I only recently came back to Smashboards for this game in particular, and as such have no interest in labbing anything further

Alright, to anyone who is triggered at me for my opinions and vicious slandering of Link...

Sorry.

I was really, really salty when writing that because I had just lost 16 matches in a row to Marios who did the same thing over and over and over and... well you get the picture. I played again the next day and I struck lucky and fought the four most skilled people I know on FG in a row; Xifl, Daniel, Anthony, and Kaede. I won most of our matches, and I realized: "Hey! Maybe Link isn't as trash as I said he was!" While I still think Link deserves to be low tier, he is better in Ult. You were right, MeleeBrawler.

I shouldn't have lost my temper. Once more I say sorry.

Even a hard, experienced soldier like Link would cry at those insults I rattled off...

Yeah...

I was pretty stupid.

Last edited:

Mister.Kim1

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2558-6837-3970
Anyone here infuriated about Link being right handed in Smash Ultimate? A minor physical attribute but it bothers me,

Riophilip

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1135-2901-6367
Switch FC
SW-6101-4928-8023
I'm infuriated that Link was bad in sm4sh, but that they nerfed him so hard that he is straight up worthless now. You'll see my post above. I was salty when making those. I'm not now. (You should see salty me) The thing that screwed him up was the loss of his three (and only three) trump cards.
1.) Hookshot. Some people saw this was trash because it was laggy. Yeah, that was a pain, but with that beast spacing meant nothing. Perfectly spaced fair? Well Link can still get you. It also helped with his recovery. It was fast and unpredicable - you could mix it up.
2.) Jab cancels. If you look carefully at smash 4's Link jab, it lifts the victim of the ground. In Ultimate, this is not the case. Back in sm4sh, jab-jab-dsmash was practically a true combo. It was a quick and nasty kill confirm. And since there is no lag on anything in SSBU, fast attacks are more important than ever.
3.) Bombs. If you've seen sm4sh me play at tournaments, you'll notice that I take stock after stock after stock with these. They were Link's VICTORY. Combos,Kills,Hype,Mixups,Preassure,Neutral,Freegrabs,Recovery they were everything. And now they are gone in the place of some blue sphere-y boi that kills at 162%.

No me gusta

Oh, any yes being right handed does screw up his utilt.

Last edited:
Well, to be fair, Link wasn't nerfed so much as he wasn't buffed. At least not in the ways every other character was buffed. I don't know that it entirely worked, but the dev team seemed to want to go a different route and just gave more range and power to his sword instead of speed. His moves now have more reach on them than Ike and Cloud: he's only beat out by Shulk, who's less safe on shield, and Corrin to a degree. Link's become Mr. Spacing instead of Mr. Mixup. His new fundamentals feel a lot more like Ike's to me, and that works for some people, but not others. It probably will hurt him competitively somewhat, but I still don't think he's garbage.

I'm not going to argue about his bombs. They are tricky to use and feel inconsistent. However, Link really doesn't need them to kill when he now has tilts that will. Most of his big hitboxes have the power to end stocks, and that feels more reliable to me than his confirms did in Smash 4. Honestly, the one thing I think he needs is a get-off-me option that's faster than frame 6 (or is it 7?). At that point I think he would be fine.

EnigmaticNerd

Smash Rookie
1.) Hookshot. Some people saw this was trash because it was laggy. Yeah, that was a pain, but with that beast spacing meant nothing. Perfectly spaced fair? Well Link can still get you. It also helped with his recovery. It was fast and unpredicable - you could mix it up.
very much this...

I loved the versatility of the Zair, and all the options it opened up for you. It was a fun and amazing spacing tool, especially when mixed with his zoning. It also made him more unique, no other character played like him. But now Link is just so....bland. if you watch any play of him in
Ultimate, even high level play, its all mostly just Nair, Nair, Nair, Nair, Nair.......just Nair for days.

Last edited:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I'm infuriated that Link was bad in sm4sh, but that they nerfed him so hard that he is straight up worthless now. You'll see my post above. I was salty when making those. I'm not now. (You should see salty me) The thing that screwed him up was the loss of his three (and only three) trump cards.
2.) Jab cancels. If you look carefully at smash 4's Link jab, it lifts the victim of the ground. In Ultimate, this is not the case. Back in sm4sh, jab-jab-dsmash was practically a true combo. It was a quick and nasty kill confirm. And since there is no lag on anything in SSBU, fast attacks are more important than ever.
3.) Bombs. If you've seen sm4sh me play at tournaments, you'll notice that I take stock after stock after stock with these. They were Link's VICTORY. Combos,Kills,Hype,Mixups,Preassure,Neutral,Freegrabs,Recovery they were everything. And now they are gone in the place of some blue sphere-y boi that kills at 162%.

No me gusta

Oh, any yes being right handed does screw up his utilt.
I hope someday people will stop memeing up Link's changes as being objectively better than his Smash 4 kit. Having a tether grab never stopped Zero Suit Samus from being good and having what used to be one of his most useful tools turned into a baby blue bowling ball that you can invalidate just by holding it is lame as hell.

Last edited:

Riophilip

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1135-2901-6367
Switch FC
SW-6101-4928-8023
Who do you think the most balanced (or underpowerd) characters in SSBU are?

I'll say Link (underpowered) Cloud (balanced) and Roy (balanced) while some people say he's broken, his stuff actually takes some skill to pull of, unlike Zelda, Pichu or Ness.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
I love how this forum was kinda just ****ting on Link when now he almost universally agreed to be much better than his other counter parts.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I love that too. It really shows that people play Link because he is cool, not because he is good. They consider him being turned into a boring but good character as a negative because the extra power is not worth it to lose the coolness for.

I love that too. It really shows that people play Link because he is cool, not because he is good. They consider him being turned into a boring but good character as a negative because the extra power is not worth it to lose the coolness for.
Keep in mind this entire discussion was within a couple of months after the game released. People didn't know how good Link was yet. People were actually talking about the character being nerfed from the previous game, and not just that he isn't as fun as the old version.

I agree with your point about power not being everything, though. Link's really struggled over the years to be engaging while also being balanced. It's almost like a reverse Bayonetta, where if his kit functions as designed, it's not going to work well, so to make it work the devs broke it. Now he's good, but it's because his tools are individually very good and not because they have much cohesion.

Top Bottom