• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Disappointed by Hazards Toggle

VillainFan42

Smash Cadet
NNID
VillainFan42
3DS FC
4511-1345-7864
When I heard that there would be a stage hazard toggle, I was ecstatic. However, when I started looking up what exactly I would change, I got more and more disappointed by everything I read.

-Wily Castle loses its platforms as well as a Yellow Devil, thus turning it into an FD clone and ensuring this stage will always be garbage

-Castle Seige seems to still transform, with the only change being the lack of tilting on the third form, and possibly the indestructible platforms in the second

-Moving platforms no longer seem to move, like Saffron City or Town and City, for example. That seems like going a bit too far

-Instead of the ceiling in Great Plateau being gone, it’s permanent instead

In essence, it gets rid of hazards, but it also gets rid of stuff that makes the stage interesting in the first place. Am I the only one super disappointed by how this feature was implemented?

Kero the Invincible

Smash Apprentice
You want them to be interesting? Then leave hazards on.

You want them to be tournament viable? Then turn them off.

Presumably, slight differences in blast zones and stage size could still make them different to the usual Battlefield/Final Destination versions, but it's still more options than we had before, and at least the option is THERE.

Could it have been better? Perfect even? Maybe, but that would be subjective. So, no. I'm not disappointed.

VillainFan42

Smash Cadet
NNID
VillainFan42
3DS FC
4511-1345-7864
My only sore spot is Wily Castle. It seems like it would be a fun stage if it weren’t for the Yellow Piece of Trash, but...

...I’m sorry. I’m so blown away by the rest of the game so far that things like this (and Final Fantasy still only having 2 songs) irritate me way more than they should. I’ve been like this ever since the direct.

Kero the Invincible

Smash Apprentice
It's fair. They offer so much in these games that I just can't bring myself to complain about anything.

And.....maybe get slightly more confrontational when others do.

Discussion is discussion, and it's nice to bring up points like this for the sake of it.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
When it comes to your latter grievance, I doubt SE is going to give us more FF songs, especially with FF having its own fighting game series with its own set of musical remixes.

VillainFan42

Smash Cadet
NNID
VillainFan42
3DS FC
4511-1345-7864
I remember I once told my friend that I’d be completely satisfied with anything this game did as long as Simon Belmont made it in. And now that he is I’m complaining about a completely optional mechanic because it ruins one stage.

Kozzer

Smash Rookie
I hope they add a few more options to hazard toggle, like "Entities Only" where only bosses/enemies would be disabled

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
I remember I once told my friend that I’d be completely satisfied with anything this game did as long as Simon Belmont made it in. And now that he is I’m complaining about a completely optional mechanic because it ruins one stage.
yeah... you certainly prove that this fanbase can never be satisfied, even when they get exactly what they want.

i mean, i dunno what i can say that hasn't already been clearly demonstrated and pointed out in this topic.

except that i am honestly surprised sakurai hasn't just had a meltdown and canceled smash bros because of how ungrateful people are.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
yeah... you certainly prove that this fanbase can never be satisfied, even when they get exactly what they want.
This is true for anyone, not just fans of Super Smash Bros. It probably just seems more common with these fans because you're around them.

except that i am honestly surprised sakurai hasn't just had a meltdown and canceled smash bros because of how ungrateful people are.
I know. Sakurai and his team have even provided us with more than we asked for from the Nintendo Direct 8.8.18. After Daisy and Ridley were revealed, people suddenly started begging for Waluigi. No one asked for him to this extent prior to this. There's nothing relevant about Waluigi (and the same could be said of Daisy, too). Some people need to stop being entitled ingrates.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
This is true for anyone, not just fans of Super Smash Bros. It probably just seems more common with these fans because you're around them.

I know. Sakurai and his team have even provided us with more than we asked for from the Nintendo Direct 8.8.18. After Daisy and Ridley were revealed, people suddenly started begging for Waluigi. No one asked for him to this extent prior to this. There's nothing relevant about Waluigi (and the same could be said of Daisy, too). Some people need to stop being entitled ingrates.
i suppose, just seems especially egregious here...

i was extremely surprised that daisy was added, i always liked her more than peach, but i certainly didn't expect her to make it in.

i haven't complained about a single thing, cause i am just so happy that ridley was brought into the mix, with daisy being a very nice bonus.

i've only been surprised again and again with every feature talked about since then... i hope sakurai knows that there ARE some people who are truly appreciative of everything he does, cause i plan on playing with all the characters, and i'm gonna play on all the stages, with all items on, and i'm gonna do my best to use as many features as i can.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
i suppose, just seems especially egregious here...

i was extremely surprised that daisy was added, i always liked her more than peach, but i certainly didn't expect her to make it in.

i haven't complained about a single thing, cause i am just so happy that ridley was brought into the mix, with daisy being a very nice bonus.

i've only been surprised again and again with every feature talked about since then... i hope sakurai knows that there ARE some people who are truly appreciative of everything he does, cause i plan on playing with all the characters, and i'm gonna play on all the stages, with all items on, and i'm gonna do my best to use as many features as i can.
Daisy seems to have been more popular than Peach among gamers. Or, that's the impression I've always gotten. That's how I feel, and my brother likes Daisy more than Peach as well.

I was very happy that Ridley was added to the roster. I'm glad that SSBU has most antagonists from different video games now, rather than just having Bowser, Ganondorf, Meta Knight, King Dedede, and Wolf. It just seemed sensible to have at least a protagonist and antagonist per series. And then Dark Samus was added as an echo character, so now I'm going to use all of the Metroid characters. (I've mained Samus since SSB64 and picked up Zero Suit Samus in SSB4. She didn't feel right to me, which is why I didn't bother with her in SSBB.)

wiiztec

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wiiztec
When I heard that there would be a stage hazard toggle, I was ecstatic. However, when I started looking up what exactly I would change, I got more and more disappointed by everything I read.

-Wily Castle loses its platforms as well as a Yellow Devil, thus turning it into an FD clone and ensuring this stage will always be garbage

-Castle Seige seems to still transform, with the only change being the lack of tilting on the third form, and possibly the indestructible platforms in the second

-Moving platforms no longer seem to move, like Saffron City or Town and City, for example. That seems like going a bit too far

-Instead of the ceiling in Great Plateau being gone, it’s permanent instead

In essence, it gets rid of hazards, but it also gets rid of stuff that makes the stage interesting in the first place. Am I the only one super disappointed by how this feature was implemented?
Where are you reading this?

VillainFan42

Smash Cadet
NNID
VillainFan42
3DS FC
4511-1345-7864
Where are you reading this?
Here. It’s a discussion about what is and isn’t disabled and someone brought up they played the E3 build of Wily Castle with hazards off.

Again, I sincerely apologize for the way I was acting earlier. I really appreciate all the work Sakurai did, and the game is shaping up to be amazing in spite of some design choices I’m not crazy about. I just felt the need to vent before my issues started coloring my opinion of the game as a whole.

Last edited:

Louisacommie

Smash Apprentice
They need to make the hazard toggle be on a stage by stage basis, and have multiple options, so you can turn yellow devil off, but not the platforms

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Damn seriously? Thats awful. I was so excited about the hazard toggle. How the hell could the F*** that up so bad?

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I think what actually happens with Hazard toggle should be a competitive community driven decision. What if the Smash Back Room could decide these types of things with in reason of course. There could be so many better stages to pick from.

Great Plateau Tower could be viable if the top part was gone completely.
Castle Siege could be amazing if the stage transformations were turned off by this.
Willy Castle would be such a cool stage if hazard toggle only got rid of the Yellow Devil.

Last edited:

Louisacommie

Smash Apprentice
I think what actually happens with Hazard toggle should be a competitive community driven decision. What if the Smash Back Room could decide these types of things with in reason of course. There could be so many better stages to pick from.

Great Plateau Tower could be viable if the top part was gone completely.
Castle Siege could be amazing if the stage transformations were turned off by this.
Willy Castle would be such a cool stage if hazard toggle only got rid of the Yellow Devil.
Since the toggle is universal we'd have to turn it on for say Pokemon stadium and wario land
But turn it off for smashville to get the moving platform back

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Hazards Off shoud not include the moving plataforms... If a person wants the stage to be not movable, just pick an Omega version... I think people are annoyed by bosses in the middle of the stages, not by moving plataforms or any interactivity a stage can provide, just the bosses.

Last edited:
Top Bottom