• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Disambiguating the term "JC shine"

JiggsIsMyHero

Smash Cadet
Alright... I've seen quite a bit of talk lately on a technique wherein you shine multiple times on the ground by quickly jump-canceling your shine and then immediately shinecanceling your jump. What I mean is, you shine, jump out of it, but before your jump animation begins and you leave the ground you shine again, effectively leaving you on the ground still, and repeating this over and over. People have been calling this the JC shine, but in reality the JC shine is something totally different. JC shining is exactly what it says, it's jump-canceling out of a shine, and not doing what I described above. So, I say we start calling this new tech the "multi-shine" (which I've posted on a number of threads already) so that we don't get confused about which JC shine we're talking about when we use the term. So, if I want to say that one needs to use 10 shines via the multi-shine in order to break a shield, I would say "you need to multishine 10 times to break a shield" (which, btw, would be really f'in hard to do). Simple and precise, no?

LOL! What a silly thread... Sorry, but I'm a freak about precision, and one of the best aspects of SSBM chat is that every move has a unique name, so why make this case any different!?

Zander805

Smash Ace
Yes, let's... seeing as it would cut down on the misuse of one of the most widely misunderstood terms.
Well I don't wanna call it that so I'm going to start a new thread and call Shine > JC > Shine a Zander Shine because I feel like it and it would, "cut down on the misuse of one of the most widely misunderstood terms."

If you guys want you can call it a ZS short for Zander Shine. Thanks.

JiggsIsMyHero

Smash Cadet
Well, I don't really care what people start calling it... it could just as well be called the Fuzzy Pickle (God do I love Earthbound!), so long as it's given a unique name. I think multi-shine both captures the nature of the move and spares it having a name that is either inconsistent with or too similar to the existing body of smash terms, but whatev. Personally I think "Infinite Ground Shine" is a little too much like "Infinite Shine Combo" (chained waveshines ad infinitum with fox).

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
Nice being precise and all but theres already a name for multiple shines on the ground and it's stated as such on fox threads it is terms as a "Double Shine" since you are doing two shines and just repeating the process. If you want proof that this is the term used for that technique go to youtube.com and search double shine and its the first vid.

Nike

Smash Apprentice
double shine doesn't really make sense when the number of shine on the ground is odd. what are u gonna say when u shine>jc>shine>jc>shine? "I just 1.5 double shined!" No. Multishine would fit better, but i really don't care what is used as long as it is consistent and makes sense.

fugito348

Smash Journeyman
dats true but why would sumoen say he used JC shine to break his sheild or i JC shined 32 times!!! i think u can infer which way they are usin the term. if they really are using it wrong just correct them :)

FalseFalco

Smash Master
I wrote a whole spiel about jump cancelling and how the term doesn't signify what is being cancelled and other stuff like that back in august:

FalseFalco said:
Hm, I see your confusion.

Jump cancelling a shine is different than a jump cancelled usmash or attack.

First let's just look at the wording. In the sentence "jump cancelling a shine" the shine is the thing being cancelled. This should be obvious since the shine is no longer present after you preform this "jump cancel".

In the sentence "Jump cancelled up smash" the jump is the thing being cancelled (BY the up smash).

Now that you know the difference, and how jump cancelled means something different when it is worded differently, I will continue to explain each and will leave you to fish out the differences.

Jump cancelled shine (AKA shine cancel)
Pressing jump after you shine, resulting in the cancelling of the lag the is usually present at the end of the attack.

Jump cancelled up smash
Out of a run, there are only 3 options of attack. Jump, dash attack, and dash grab. Jumps can be cancelled by grabs and by up smashes. Since it is laggier and more difficult to stop or crouch cancel the dash to stop and then upsmash, the preferred way of upsmashing out of a run is by jump cancelling. Also since you cannot cancel your dash in the INITIAL dash animation (the one you use to fox trot where fox jumps a large distance) by crouching, it is only possible to upsmash out of your INITIAL dash animation by jump cancelling an upsmash. By doing a JC up smash you can up smash out of any part of the running animation including the initial dash animation

The above is most simply accomplished by dashing, and during any part of the dash pressing Up+A smash on the control stick. I'm positive you've done this without knowing the term (just like teching!).

By JCing your up smash, you get that strange looking slide before you begin your upsmash, this is because the dash pushes you forward and the momentum has no where to go BUT forward, so while JC upsmashing, you slide.

Sift through that and read it a couple times.

Questions? ask away.

PS the compendium of knowledge is incorrect in their wording or jump cancel. They claim it is the shortening of a jump through shining, when really it is the aforementioned techniques. You can jump cancel an upsmash out of your shield as well, just press up on the control stick and in 3 frames up on the c stick.

Abulize

Smash Journeyman
I'm totally confused so could someone please clarify what a jc shine is and a 'multi-shine' is and give an example? I think there is a term for the 'multi-shine' with Fox up against a rock and you get them in an infinite just like purekorea said but I've heard of it as a shine infinite.

xelad1

Smash Ace
Ummmmm.... I think I actually am going to call it a fuzzy pickle thanks

Nike

Smash Apprentice
I'm totally confused so could someone please clarify what a jc shine is and a 'multi-shine' is and give an example? I think there is a term for the 'multi-shine' with Fox up against a rock and you get them in an infinite just like purekorea said but I've heard of it as a shine infinite.
jump canceled shine (JC shine)
shine>jump: cancels lag after shine
Ex. falco shines fox on the ground, then jump cancels the shine and performs a bair.

"multishine" (Mshine)
shine>jump>shine>jump>shine...: key difference between JC shine and Mshine is that in Mshine the player shines before falco begins his jump animation, thus allowing the player to repeatedly shine on the ground.
Ex. falco shining repeatedly next to a shielding fox in an effort to break his shield.

Gonzales

Smash Journeyman
Here is an example of multi-shining/JC shining/whatever you want to call it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ovxWM9ou-VU

Zander805

Smash Ace
"multishine" (Mshine)
shine>jump>shine>jump>shine...: key difference between JC shine and Mshine is that in Mshine the player shines before falco begins his jump animation, thus allowing the player to repeatedly shine on the ground.
Ex. falco shining repeatedly next to a shielding fox in an effort to break his shield.
I think you mean "ZanderShine" (ZShine)

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
I honestly don't think this matters compared to other things.

There are bigger fish to fry.
well, sure, but there are other threads for other issues. I really don't think it hurts to kill the ambiguity in the stand alone term JC shine, so sure, mutlishine is fine with me, but as has already been said, the name doesn't really matter as long as it's unique.

DDRKirby(ISQ)

Smash Ace
its just really bad because when doing multiple shines on the ground w/out wavedashing you are cancelling shines with jumps -and- cancelling jumps with shines...

technically you might say that you're jump-cancelling jump-cancelled shines. :psycho:

Abulize

Smash Journeyman
What's faster, waveshining in place to break someone's shield or infinite shining or multi-shining or abu-shining :p ?

Edit: Technically isn't infinite shine/multi-shine/abu-shine just a rapid jc shine?

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
i dont like zandershine either.

but since i already have the BF level of Suiciding, I can't name something else as well now can I?
but maybe you should try MultiZanderShine. ^^

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
double shine doesn't really make sense when the number of shine on the ground is odd. what are u gonna say when u shine>jc>shine>jc>shine? "I just 1.5 double shined!" No. Multishine would fit better, but i really don't care what is used as long as it is consistent and makes sense.
It doesnt matter if its odd. a double shine is the process of jc the first shine and then followed by another shine. so the first ones is double shined into the second which is now double shined into the third shine. Double shine doesn't mean its even or odd as long as it's more than one shine using the jc method.

JiggsIsMyHero

Smash Cadet
Yeah, but the important point to make here is that you got this info off of the fox pages... and as we all know Falco players > Fox Players. We're smarter, wittier and more handsome, too. So it only makes sense that a Falco player get to pick out the name for this tech (and by that I mean a Falco player who is not Zander ^^).

Zander805

Smash Ace
Yeah, but the important point to make here is that you got this info off of the fox pages... and as we all know Falco players > Fox Players. We're smarter, wittier and more handsome, too. So it only makes sense that a Falco player get to pick out the name for this tech (and by that I mean a Falco player who is not Zander ^^).
That's so messed up man. I thought we were friends...

Nike

Smash Apprentice
It doesnt matter if its odd. a double shine is the process of jc the first shine and then followed by another shine. so the first ones is double shined into the second which is now double shined into the third shine. Double shine doesn't mean its even or odd as long as it's more than one shine using the jc method.
i kinda understand how ur using double shine, but one thing we have to remember is that this term must be universal. A noob hearing the term "double shine" is gunna think "hmmm that must be 2 shines." imo "multishine" is much easier for some1 hearing the term 4 the first time to understand it. Multishine (Mshine) it just makes sense.

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
When I heard it as a noob is made perfect sense, but if you guys really want multishine or what not who am I to try and change it.

p.s jiggsismyhero fox > falco =P

Top Bottom