• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Disadvantage/ landing options

Skyred006

Smash Rookie
Hello,
I’m Red6. Ive been playing smash since 64, I have a lot of experience with the Mewtwo and have done some hard labbing( feel free to WiFi me , just send a message or reply).

Anyway, the reason I created this thread is to discuss mewtwo’s disadvantage state.

Currently there is not much Mewtwo content. Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas on what we can do to land or escape from combos?
Here’s mine :
1. Whenever possible go to ledge :
Avoid trying to land on stage , we’re a big target with crappy weight. Sometimes there’s a tendency to want to land standing up and reset neutral, but honestly most of the time it’s unsafe. Let’s be honest.

2. Nair: when the opponent isn’t expecting this , I find that fasfalling with Nair Landing On the opponent can work. If timed correctly it will either hit and pop the opponent up leaving them open for a follow up, poke the opponent, or trade(worst case scenario). Not good to spam.

3. Dair: if done with good timing can often catch the opponent off guard, not to mention mewtwo’s dair in this game has very little endlag and increased horizontal range. When I do this I tend to dair relatively early because the hit box will often outrange enemies attacking with an upair or upash. But this timing is very difficult. Use sparingly.

4. Teleport out of range and unpredictably. Again, sparingly.

Help! We need to find reliable ways to land and to limit getting juggled!
Ideas?

(Edit: what was I drinking lol)

Last edited:

smoulder

Smash Rookie
Looks like you've said a lot on it already. As with any character make sure you are spacing your attacks, however I think that spacing may be even more essential for mewtwo than the average character.

Browny

Smash Hater
I generally teleport on stage and mix it up. Behind them, in front of them, on the ledge or just fall below the ledge. like 50% or so on stage, 50% to the ledge.

Its absolutely worth chucking teleports on stage so the opponent knows its an option. If you never do it, they can safely try to 2-frame you and at best you've put yourself in a ledgetrap position which is pretty bad. Given that the only way they can punish a teleport on stage is by a prediction, this means they can't react to you and there will be times when they dash in to the stage and give up the ledge completely for free.

Skyred006

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the responses. :’( I was hoping people wouldn’t say ‘you listed it all already’ haha. I don’t know. I feel like if this is all we have we’re in trouble. Certain characters can easily punish our landing or juggle the crap out of us(greninja).
One more thing that I’m still labbing is landing with confusion. Since the first time we do it in the air it makes us rise making it hard to hit. But after that ‘jump’ is used I’ve sometimes been successful fast-falling and using confusion on landing, especially when they’re sitting in sheild expecting an arial.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I mix up both Confusion-stalling, directional airdodges and Teleports. Haven't tried nair or dair much since I almost always lose those exchanges while in disadvantage and it always seems to be what my opponent expects me to do.
I do attempt fair sometimes however, if I'm falling to the outside trying to cover my approach to the ledge. They don't usually expect an attack as fast as fair while racing to the ledge.

Top Bottom