• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Disable Guide type thing (btw, any help on this is appreciated)

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
I felt that this really weird move needed a guide, I mean really it's not Shine or Zelda's Transform, but it's a really cool down B IMO.

Flash flash.

**************DISABLE MYTH************
Some people believe that Disable can "spike" Fox and Falco when they are recovering. Some people are wrong. If anything, it is like the "Cape Spike" but MUCH MUCH weaker. It puts the foe into a falling state, and with the fast falling properties that they have, will "spike" the fast faller. This does not work unless you are playing a comp or a person who doesn't know what to do.

~~Disable~~

Mewtwo’s down B, possibly his most complicated move, is barely spammable at all, and is considered only good for mindgames. Probably the main thing people know about this move is that it stuns enemies, but it can do more. This guide is for info on this move.​

Stuff about Disable, Terms and Whatnot

General
-Your opponent must be FACING YOU. GAH. If not it misses.
-Comes out quite quickly, has okay range, still punishable.
-Disable cancels your jump, whenever you use it when you are jumping. It can cancel your first jump, not just your second (and it can cancel your second jump too).
-The stun effect looks like Shield break status but shield break is shorter the more your percentage, and Disable is longer the more your percentage I believe.
-Disable does 1 damage every time I think.
-Disable is a (really short ranged) projectile move, so it can be reflected by the reflectors and power shield (I hate computers) but on real life opponents, this simple fact can be a huge mindgame if you spam Disable, then they might try to Cape or use Reflector a lot and then you can take advantage of that. ;)

Don't poke a shield, with it, too slow and punishable, doesn't push your opponent at all since it's really weak.

Uses?​
Using disable on an opponent using an aerial will knock them into a tumbling animation. This is where I think Mewtwo can shine. I REALLY want to see this tested to see if it can add to Mewtwo's defenses. Possibly even open them up to an attack.

Now, as long as Disable touches the opponent's frame(save for disjointed hitboxes, like Marth's sword :mad: ) it'll go off, correct? Now it's not exactly easy to chase your opponent down and hit them with Disable. That's why I believe that hitting an opponent trying to attack you with an aerial probably has more practical use than the others. This is what I want you guys to discuss. I have had success with it against those who prefer to bum rush me with NAirs and FAirs. I gave Ganon a hard time playing keep away with baby Shadow Balls and disabling his FAir. Please, look into it and tell me what you think. I know pretty much everybody here is no stranger to Disable, so anybody's input would be appreciated.

here are mookies frame data.

Disable (Down B)

* 1% damage
* Causes the enemy to enter a state of weariness (similar to that of a character breaking his shield)
* Frame Data:

* Total time: 39 frames
* Disabling eye spark comes out frame 15
* Eye spark lasts 7 frames

Jumps

Frame Data:

* Airborne on frame 6
* Air time: 60 frames
* Earliest possible time to fastfall: 31 frames
* Air time (including fastfall): 44 frames

so as you see. it takes 6 frames to start shorthopping and 15 more frames before disable's disjointed hitbox is executed. you need 21 frames.

21 frames out of Shield... that's like 4 jc shines +1 more shine... when you think about it, kinda slow T.T

Shorthop Disable (shDis)
Probably the only real use of the Disable as of now. Stuns your opponent, shorthopping it gives it a “sliding” effect (because it cancels your jump), much like JC grab, giving it a bit more range. Can be used to tech read. Can be used out of shield (recommended, still slow >.>).

Taj says it doesn't counter Falco’s SHL, since it's so slow. >.>

Knockback Disable (kbDis)
Most known probably as “double down B” or whatever, this is when Dis does knockback, which is quite large even at low percentages. I’m pretty sure the knockback is NOT set, so you hit people a little longer if they have more damage.
Disable does knockback when your opponent is in the stun of Disable already, or if they are “tumbling” in the air. I’ve actually done a shorthop kbDis off the stage to a double jump kbDis combo thingy and then I suicided -_- well yeah.
Easiest lead to kbDis is Dtilt probably. Stun with Disable then Dtilt to kbDis if that’s what you want to do since you deal extra damage with the Dtilt.
shkbDis is just short hopping Disable to produce the knockback, use when opponent is on/near ground.

Nothing Disable (airDis?)
It deals one damage and no knockback when your opponent is in the air and you hit with this. Strangely enough, I hit Falco’s Up B with this and he just stopped being in Fire Bird but he flew in neutral air position (doing nothing in the air). I’m not entirely sure about the requirements however.

Mindgames
Techreading/Chasing with this. It leads to grabs so it may be useful. Also has pretty good range compared to your grabs.

Combos… if I could call them that (these are just for... nothing really)
okay.
Not Combos:

kbDis > secondJump > kbDis > stop there and teleport back to stage > edgeguard/taunt/rawr/too hypothetical/

Down Tilt > kbDis (most reliable for kbDis IMO)

Right… so I need more information >.<

drago980

Smash Apprentice
Wow, another cool guide on a characters fascinating down-b move. This sure helped me. Thanks for posting.

quak

Smash Champion
erm.......uh......oh..........umm..........

quick, someone that doesn't hate disable say something!

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Shorthop Disable (shDis)
Probably the only real use of the Disable as of now. Stuns your opponent, shorthopping it gives it a “sliding” effect (because it cancels your jump), much like JC grab, giving it a bit more range. Can be used to tech read. Can be used out of shield (recommended) and Taj says it counters Falco’s SHL.
I did?!?!?! :confused: I hope I didn't, but if I did, then I retract that statement, cuz that's certainly not true. The only thing I'll say is that it might possibly help a little bit...

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
falcos lasers are really fast =/....
in between lasers, you dont even have enough time to short hop higher than a few inch without the lasers hitting you back down, let alone SHdisable.

btw. dealing with those lasers. as long as you are upclose to him, he wont be using lasers. he needs good room and space to barrage you with lasers. so just carefully roll or teleport to approach him. there is no real need to counter his lasers with anything.

your guide is 40% accurate so far.

the combos you suggeste; they are too hypothetical
lot of situations have unneccessary disables. i understand that you are trying to include as much 'disable' as you can. but sometimes they just arnt that neccesary.
why dthrow > tech chase > disable > grab
when you can dthrow > tech chase > grab/anything

why intercept recoveries with a knockback disable when mewtwo has all these aerials that are excelent for edgeguarding.

some of the combos just dont work.

the best critic i can support you with as of now is:
the term 'mindgame', doesnt mean doing... weird during weird situations.

if you want

i think meta COULD provide some frame data.
im sure mookirah already has it in smashwiki.
meanwhile, meta can probably use frame datas to show you how 'SH disable out of shield' is too slow to use when you are barraged with lasers.

edit:

here are mookies frame data.

Disable (Down B)

* 1% damage
* Causes the enemy to enter a state of weariness (similar to that of a character breaking his shield)
* Frame Data:

* Total time: 39 frames
* Disabling eye spark comes out frame 15
* Eye spark lasts 7 frames

Jumps

Frame Data:

* Airborne on frame 6
* Air time: 60 frames
* Earliest possible time to fastfall: 31 frames
* Air time (including fastfall): 44 frames

so as you see. it takes 6 frames to start shorthopping and 15 more frames before disable's disjointed hitbox is executed. you need 21 frames.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Haha ok, :( I thought I read something about countering SHL >.> thanks for the help.

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
I tend to use Disable (if I ever do) if people start catching on to a djc back shadowball.

Other than that I don't really use it. It's way too slow as a poke and and risk is too high. I try to experiment with it but anything I do ends up being countered because it's so slow = 8

ShackDaddy

Smash Ace
not to be mean but this is kinda useless. The only way to "combo" the disable is to tech chase with it. It comes out to slow to stun someone in the middle of an attack and doesnt stun in the air.

Besides tech chasing u can dash and short hop into it, jump off the stage and try to hit a recovering oppnent with it or just wait for them to dash in and use it b4 they hit u (messes up some shffling).

And yes if u hit someone in the air it send the spiraling, BUT they can still recover, the computer just usually dies tho

KrF2

Smash Cadet
Well I am going to put my $0.02 in...

1)you cannot random this is move (can't throw it out at random)
2)you cannot stand still while doing this(move SH backward and SH forward)
3)You have to predict what they are doing in advance disable if its a attack(highest priority for you)
4)spikes Fox and Falco (while in firefox)
5)cancels(but doesn't stun) SHFFL aerials so you can escape and run away
6)complicates edgeguard(stuns them out of aerials and give you a chance to recover)
7)Stops grab whores (when they get predictable)

Its actually a very good move buy its very "predictability Dependant" like most slower characters are.

quak

Smash Champion
Well I am going to put my $0.02 in...

1)you cannot random this is move (can't throw it out at random)
2)you cannot stand still while doing this(move SH backward and SH forward)
3)You have to predict what they are doing in advance disable if its a attack(highest priority for you)
4)spikes Fox and Falco (while in firefox)
5)cancels(but doesn't stun) SHFFL aerials so you can escape and run away
6)complicates edgeguard(stuns them out of aerials and give you a chance to recover)
7)Stops grab whores (when they get predictable)

Its actually a very good move buy its very "predictability Dependant" like most slower characters are.
1) well that's the most common way i pull off the move, as not to be predicted
2) Canceling your jump with it helps, but not much at all.
3) Agreed, mindgames is the only way to be able to pull this move off effectively
4) They can immediatly up B, i've played around with it recently, and my opponents weren't fazed by it all, just hit up B again.
5) Bad idea, as it has a small hitbox, too much risk for no prize
6) if you're close enough to hit them with the disable, you shouldn't use it still, just grab the ledge, or airdodge, or teleport, or throw out your own aerial
8) Yes, same principle as dash attack spammers

Bah, i've already said most of this stuff in my guide. I'll stop Airo :p

Top Bottom