• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dis our Lair : Newbie Guide to the Ganon Boards (New Poster? Click here!)

:034:

Smash Hero

Click the image to go the artist's deviantart!

Contents
  • Introduction
  • Useful Threads
  • Inhabitants

Introduction
Ye who hath entered our lair... Ah, no... You! With the dumb head!... Ah, no. That's not how I'm supposed to welcome you guys. Ahem, these are the boards made for the character Ganondorf in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. You're obviously here because you wanna learn more about Ganondorf and how to play him, right? Well, you made a good choice! Ganondorf is one of the worst characters in Brawl, for sure, but he's one of the more unique and fun to play in the game. In this thread, I'll give you some quick links to useful threads to read and introduce some of the board members to you. We really do want you to post, so don't be afraid. The only ones we kill report to the mod are the really stupid ones. And after you read this thread, you're (hopefully) not one of those people! So let's get goin'!

Useful Threads
Literally the part where I post links to useful threads and some quick explanation.

.:How to Murder Stuff:., the Ganondorf guide by Swoops
Here's probably the most fundamental thread to new players. This guide will tell you how to play Ganondorf, where and when to use his moves, etc etc. It's a very good read, but currently not being updated. Still, any new player should start here.

Ganon Friend Finder, run by DADhttp://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=201514
Well, if you read the thread you'll probably want to practice. Fear not, the Ganon Friend Finder is here for you. In this thread, you post your information. When you want to play, you make a post and hope somebody comes by and is willing to play you. This is not always the case, buuuut with a lil' bit of luck you'll get somebody. Also, you can use the first post to see if there any other Ganondorf players in your direct area.

Ganondorf Question & Answer Thread, run by Ray Kalm
Exactly what it says on the label: ask a question - get an answer! Great if you have a quick question. You should go here if you have a certain question about Ganondorf, one of his techs or just the boards in general. We appreciate it a lot more than you making new threads.

The Ganondorf Match-up Thread, run by Ray Kalm
So now you're probably wondering, "how do I win against certain characters?", which is a tough cookie. Look through this thread for helpful strategies on whatever character has been discussed. The information isn't complete on every character yet - so if you've got the experience against a certain character, just say it!

Ganondorf's Video & Video Critique Thread, run by Ray Kalm (what a swell guy)
So now that you've got the basics down - you want to get better! Right?! No? Well... If there's a point in time that you think "sheesh, I don't know where to improve!", grab a camera (or steal one), record one of your matches and post them here. People might be too busy to look at your vids, so have patience. If you want really good critiques, post offline matches and also post ones in which you lose. It's tough, I know. But you'll make it.

Now, a veteran to the boards might've noticed that "all of these links are stickies" (if you haven't... Pay attention!). You're right. But these are all of the basics. So, here are some extra threads for you with info, testing going on and all kinds of stuff. No descriptions (yet?), though.

Sliq's Amazing Trickster Guide (by Sliq)
List of Tricks and Techs (by Gleam)
MYTHBUSTA - Overcoming Ganondorf's Problems (by DAD)
Grab Release Stuff (by Face)
Chainchoking (by Twilight Prince)
Full Flame Choke follow-up chart (by F3niix)
Flight of Ganon thread (by a lot of people, really)
Reverse Pivot Grabbing (by Gleam)
The Official Retreating Thunderstorm into Stutterstep Fsmash Thread (by All of the boards) (MANDATORY READ)

Inhabitants
Just a little section about who we are.

Koskinator
The living legend himself, Koskinator is the best Ganondorf there is. He contributes every now and then, but he excels by ****** in tournaments. He plays a big, mean Old Manondorf that has a playstyle that combines everything we Ganondorfs can do. If you wanna look up to somebody, this is the man. Koskinator isn't just somebody who only *****, he's also not one to look down on the fun side of the boards (check out the Stutterstep Fsmash thread). He also has the highest placing of any Ganondorf main so far - getting 2nd.

Flying Dutchman
That's me! I made this guide. One of the European Ganons (one of the nonexistant European Trio), I might not have as much time to shine in the spotlight, but I'm still one of the first players that stuck with Ganondorf to the end. I use Steeldorf, playing a Ganondorf that uses spacing to stay in the race and is extremely bad at ditto's. I contribute every now and then, but my laziness usually takes over when managing big threads.

Ray_Kalm
Ray_Kalm is probably the biggest contributor to the boards, managing 3 of the stickies and having the most useful threads around. He might seem a little strict, but don't worry, he's a pretty nice guy. Anyway, Kalm is one of the Ghettodorf players, his playstyle always being up to date with the newest and latest tricks. Oh, one more thing, Kalm has a pretty negative demeanor about Ganondorf. Don't let it fool you, he's doing it so people underestimate Ganondorf. Deep inside, he loves him just as much as we do.

DAD
Who's your DADdy? Well, he isn't. That would be weird. Still, DAD is one of the contributors to the boards. Although, he doesn't post as much as he used to. Don't be fooled - he can probably still woop you. By the way, his username is actually 'hyperstation'. Don't get confused. Oh, DAD plays a more technical Ghettodorf, using the Flight of Ganon every now and then (no, Ganondorf isn't that much of a technical character...).

Swoops
Swoops is a pretty cool guy eh makes guides adn doesnt afraid of anythign... Anyway, Swoops is the guy who made the guide. Unfortunately, he seems to have left the Ganon boards for... a girlfriend? Pizza? Fivehundred stones? Who knows. Too bad, since he was one of the first Ganons that stuck with the boards. Swoops plays a mighty fine Ghettodorf, uses a lot of wild aerials and buffering.

PhantomX
PhantomX is our mod. He plays Wario and Ganondorf.......................Yeah. Hang out with us more, Phanty ;__; Oh, by the way, he plays the +1Yorf, the most powerful of all. I haven't seen Phanty play, but I assume he locks his opponent, then gives them several bone infractions. And yes, I love punda's.

stRIP
One of the European Trio (not to be confused with the Triple Entente) that doesn't actually exist at all, stRIP hails from Germany. He's our resident picture provider, showing only the best of the best. Unfortunately, as a European Ganondorf, he doesn't get much time in the spotlight, but his Bloodorf is really good, providing a very combo-like, almost flashy playstyle. One more thing, his name is just from 'strip'. It has nothing to do with RIP or saints.

Z1GMA
Not the Mega Man X villain, Z1GMA is from Sweden, and one of the European Trio (that doesn't exist). He contributed a lot to the boards in the form of little techniques to learn. Unfortunately, as a European, he doesn't get a lot of screentime. Although, I do know now that he uses SteelGanjadorf.

Twilight Prince
Not to be confused with the Zelda game, Twilight is our usual heavyweight joker. He knows how to crack 'em, jokes that is. However, he doesn't joke around on the battlefield. Recently, he managed to get 4th in a tournament, wielding Old Manondorf. I guess it runs in the family.

Do you wanna be on the list? Just tell my why. I might've forgotten a couple of you guys anyway.

Any questions you have left? Don't be afraid to ask them here. Don't worry, we'll answer truthfully.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Nice guide, FD.
Sigma in Megaman is a beast. I actually came up with my gamertag thx to him.

+ FIRST POST !! :hipsmile:

Smash Hero
Nice guide, FD.
Sigma in Megaman is a beast. I actually came up with my gamertag thx to him.

+ FIRST POST !! :hipsmile:
Coincidentally, you can use textures to be Sigma in Brawl. And they made that texture for Ganondorf.

@HomE

Smash Ace
I kinda want to be on the inhabitant list, but I'll leave it up to you if you feel I post enough or contribute enough. I will say that I've been repin' G-dorf from the start, and I've probably read 95% of all the posts on the Ganon Forums :)

TP

Smash Master
I wanna be on the list of people. I spam at least as much as anyone else here. Just don't mention chainchoking in the description. >__>

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I'm a serial ledge rapist if that means anything to you folks.

Anyway, great thread. This should help some of the newer members navigate through the chaotic masterpiece that is OUR LAIR.

I brought the light.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I hang out. I'm just one of those Dark Lords that prefers to manipulate and massacre from the shadows, as I'd rather not be sullied by the gaze of inferior mortals. ALL ARE LIKE PUPPETS BEFORE ME!

I play the Ganondorf color that is one "Y" press away from the regular, don't know what we call that one, lol.

Smash Hero
I'm a serial ledge rapist if that means anything to you folks.

Anyway, great thread. This should help some of the newer members navigate through the chaotic masterpiece that is OUR LAIR.

I brought the light.

Prinsu said:
I wanna be on the list of people. I spam at least as much as anyone else here. Just don't mention chainchoking in the description. >__>
Ah, right, how could I forget you? Butbut, what color do you play?

Phanty said:
I hang out. I'm just one of those Dark Lords that prefers to manipulate and massacre from the shadows, as I'd rather not be sullied by the gaze of inferior mortals. ALL ARE LIKE PUPPETS BEFORE ME!

I play the Ganondorf color that is one "Y" press away from the regular, don't know what we call that one, lol.
BUT WHAT COLOR IS IT

TP

Smash Master
I approve of my section, except for grammatical errors...

Maybe you should include a "Common misconceptions about Ganon" section. Such misconceptions include choke followups being escapable, Utilt being worthless, and the Quake being new.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Epic thread is epic.

And of course I meant the retreating thunderstorm into F-smash thread.

Oh yeah, and pay no attention to me. You have no reason to believe that I'm some wannabe Ganon user. =P

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I like the name my Ganondorf color has, that's what it will be called from now on.

I'd say my Ganon style is pretty lazy actually. I only bother to cancel my dairs half the time (generally if I'm losing or baiting), and then I'll do a lot of offstage/ledge ****.

I have videos on my Wii, just no one to upload them for me (though we can change that if anyone is willing to help tomorrow).

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I have a number of nitpicks with the wording. But I think I'll copy-paste and just send my concerns to Dutchman by PM. (They are somewhat more serious than nitpicks.)

Maybe you should include a "Common misconceptions about Ganon" section. Such misconceptions include choke followups being escapable, Utilt being worthless, and the Quake being new.
Perhaps a flow chart should be constructed.

You have something to say. <--- (Start)
. |
. v
Is it lulzy? -> Create a totally serious thread.
|
v
Is it a new discovery -> Is it an instant Wizard Kick? -> ...
|
v
. . .

Something like that.

Also, everyone should be *especially* directed to Sliq's guide, or at least made aware that the actual name of our side-B is Murder Choke.
. . .

'cuz it is.

Gleam

Smash Ace
I'd ask to be on the list but I feel so uneasy with my whole absense during the board and lack of posting.

The Intellecutal Ganon or something?

If anything (as of now) I play a very calm, slow Ganondorf. Keeping my timing, sapcing, patience and dishing out "Wizard Foot landchasing combo shi*t."

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
FD..
It'd be fitting if you listed our different colour code names for Ganon's different colours.

Smash Hero
I like the name my Ganondorf color has, that's what it will be called from now on.

I'd say my Ganon style is pretty lazy actually. I only bother to cancel my dairs half the time (generally if I'm losing or baiting), and then I'll do a lot of offstage/ledge ****.

I have videos on my Wii, just no one to upload them for me (though we can change that if anyone is willing to help tomorrow).
But I like the puns. Oh well, I'll change it. And well, maybe you could ask someone to record some replays for you. That'd be great.

2lite said:

Yeah, I went over it and noticed them. Shiiiit, that hurt my self esteem a little. Should be fixed now. The misconceptions idea is pretty good, I'll update that later.

PK-ow! said:
Perhaps a flow chart should be constructed.

You have something to say. <--- (Start)
. |
. v
Is it lulzy? -> Create a totally serious thread.
|
v
Is it a new discovery -> Is it an instant Wizard Kick? -> ...
|
v
. . .
I love that idea!

But it's Flame Choke. Murder Choke is just SO 2008.

Gleam said:
I'd ask to be on the list but I feel so uneasy with my whole absense during the board and lack of posting.

The Intellecutal Ganon or something?

If anything (as of now) I play a very calm, slow Ganondorf. Keeping my timing, sapcing, patience and dishing out "Wizard Foot landchasing combo shi*t."
I dunno, maybe, we'll see.

Ziggertrigger said:
FD..
It'd be fitting if you listed our different colour code names for Ganon's different colours.
Like, different names for everyone's Dorf? That's a pretty swell idea.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Like, different names for everyone's Dorf? That's a pretty swell idea.
You know... Bloodorf, Oldorf, Getthodorf, and such.

That'd keep Ganon-newbies from asking "WTF is a Bloodorf?"

Since not much is happening at the Ganun boards...
- What names do U guys use for his colours?

Why would anyone DOWNGRADE Murder Choke to Flame Choke?
I'll probably be hated for this, but I sometimes call it "Choke slam"; especially the aerial version.

Smash Hero
You know... Bloodorf, Oldorf, Getthodorf, and such.

That'd keep Ganon-newbies from asking "WTF is a Bloodorf?"

Since not much is happening at the Ganun boards...
- What names do U guys use for his colours?

I'll probably be hated for this, but I sometimes call it "Choke slam"; especially the aerial version.
Oh! Now I got you. But, that's what the colors are for...

In my language,

Normal = Ganondorf
Red = Bloodorf (Or Dorfire)
Blue = Steeldorf (Otherwise, Poseidorf)
Green = Marihuanadorf or just Ganjadorf
White = Old Manondorf
Brown = Ghettodorf or Really Overusedorf

I wish there was a purple Ganondorf ;__;

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
"Marihuanadorf" is only a legal name in Netherlands.
_______

Mine are:

Normal = Normadorf / Defaultdorf
Red = Cherrydorf / Tabascodorf / Chilidorf
Blue = (Nothing)
Green = LepreGaunon
White = Oldorf / Jetidorf
Brown = ***
ganon

Omg FD, you were right. Sigmadorf is AWESOME!

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Cool. that looks like a "MegatronDorf".
Still, SigmaDorf beast him to a pulp, imo

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Great thread, FD. Worth using my 1000th post. I'd been saving it, but I suppose I can give it up, just for you. You'll never hurt me, right, FD? I mean...we'll be together forever, right? RIGHT?

****, son...I'm pregnant.

ONE THOUSAND ****ING POSTS. DIS DAD IZ STRONGER THAN YR DAD.

Add DAD's Smash Lab to the list of threads. I know I'm not updating it much, but if I do say so myself, there's some good sh*t in there. BTW, I can Z1gman combo in game now sometimes. Awesome.

Smash Hero
Great thread, FD. Worth using my 1000th post. I'd been saving it, but I suppose I can give it up, just for you. You'll never hurt me, right, FD? I mean...we'll be together forever, right? RIGHT?

****, son...I'm pregnant.
As long as you give up all your freedom and hopes and dreams so that our family can eternally follow our religion and give our lives to God.

And to God only.

GanonkingAbyss

Smash Apprentice
Normal: Ganondorf
Red: Plasmadorf
Blue: Shadow-dorf/aqua dorf
White: Fancy-King dorf/goldendorf
Brown: smoresdorf(just thought of it)
Green: flying dorf/ Vine dorf

fav names i see others use:
pyro dorf
old manondorf
melee dorf

i really like Dark Dorf :D

LordofDarkness

Smash Cadet
I don't deserve to be on that list, but I will set my goal to make it there. In my short time here I've opened more than a few eyes to the ways of Ganonrape and have received many compliments on my play. But as far as relative skill goes I feel I might still be too inexperienced to say.

I'd say I play a Bloodorf style, but I run only regular Dorf color scheme because the man in Darkness stays in Darkness... and Greenondorf when I'm in the right mood. :laugh:

If you want, you can look at me as the up-and-comer; or if you do not want, don't. I look forward to being a part of this community. And if any experienced Dorfs are seeking an apprentice, I'm seeking a mentor!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Normal = Standardorf
Red = Robert Redfordorf
Blue = Oh...crap...whut? Uh...I'll go with Hefty Smurf. >.<
Green = Green Giant <_<
White = Old Manondorf / Koskinator
Brown = Meleedorf