• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Directional Influence - A Summary

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I recently heard a story about someone who would just "get his *** beat" by CPUs all day to practice DI.

I've also heard that red shells in training mode can be useful.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I practice whenever I'm already playing.

Doesn't help *that* much, but CPUs do weird **** and don't teach you when to DI and how.

eh.

drummerjoe93

Smash Rookie
I'm working on my DI, and I'm getting better, but I'm having trouble with certain drills, notably Jiggly's drill. Which way should I DI?

ballin4life

Smash Hero
at super low or super high percents DI to the back of Jiggs. at mid percents DI to the front of Jiggs.

basically you're picking whether you want to get utilted or grabbed

The Star King

Smash Hero
^If you're someone like Luigi or Samus you might want to always avoid the utilt. But yeah, the last sentence is a good way to put it. Escaping punishment completely is hard because thanks to her nice horizontal air speed and floatiness, Puff can chase your DI better than, say, Fox.

CobraWolf

Smash Rookie
I recently heard a story about someone who would just "get his *** beat" by CPUs all day to practice DI.

I've also heard that red shells in training mode can be useful.
What could be a good way to practice di with red shells?

What kinds of di are the most useful to begin practicing if I don't know any?

Also, when performing smash DI, is it just a single motion or is it repeated?

example: smash di to the left: do I move the joystick once to the left or repeatedly move it to the left?

prisonchild

Smash Ace
anyone got tips for using di against kirby? my di isn't good enough to get out of kirby's utilt spam left or right and going up hasn't worked as well as i hoped. also, i find it a lot harder to di kirby's dair than other drills.

any suggestions?

also, this is lesss important but can you di out of kirby's fair so you don't get that final knockback hit? if so what is the best way

Battlecow

Play to Win
utilt: Up will save you from like one hit if you do it strong

away from kirby can get you out after one hit if you're like falcon or link or maybe fox.

The Star King

Smash Hero
anyone got tips for using di against kirby? my di isn't good enough to get out of kirby's utilt spam left or right and going up hasn't worked as well as i hoped. also, i find it a lot harder to di kirby's dair than other drills.

any suggestions?
As Battlecow basically said, you probably won't get out of the utilt chain completely vs someone who knows what he's doing, but you can potentially reduce the number of hits.

In what situation are you trying to DI Kirby's dair? Well I guess it doesn't really matter - you'll want to DI to the side. Down or up probably won't help.

also, this is lesss important but can you di out of kirby's fair so you don't get that final knockback hit? if so what is the best way
Depends on the situation but I would suggest down most of the time, because it naturally hits you down so it aids your DI.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I DI left/right against kirby's fair, very similarly to how I di vs pika's fair. You can either get far away from him OR you can try to get behind him, which is what I almost always do. Even if you don't get completely behind him, the knockback hit now sends you the other way which they aren't ready for. Never tried di-ing down though, maybe I'll check it out.

Battlecow

Play to Win
yeah watch Isai's guide to intermediate rat dittos

up is sometimes cool

or right

or left

or right then left

hit them with one hit of the fair to stop 'em from escaping

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yeah I use one hit fair in a certain situation, in Pika dittos on Hyrule on the left side when the enemy Pika up-b's right + up -> right and barely lands on the main platform, I short hop from the green left side to barely land on the main platform and one hit fair bthrow/usmash

God why am I so bad at Pika dittos these days I used to like those. Actually my Pikachu has been utter **** in general recently.

meowmeowrainbowkitty

Smash Apprentice
What could be a good way to practice di with red shells?

What kinds of di are the most useful to begin practicing if I don't know any?

Also, when performing smash DI, is it just a single motion or is it repeated?

example: smash di to the left: do I move the joystick once to the left or repeatedly move it to the left?
imo, the best way, if you have a friend, is to have the friend use the fireflower; holding the A button down, hitting you...maybe against a wall. If you DI, you should be able to see a big difference. **** DI ftw though.

ant-d

Smash Lord
I want to watch some of his sample videos but anytime I try to look at them it just says "Sorry these videos are private"
Thanks for this. It seems that my old 'Google Video' videos have been automatically set to private once Google transferred them to my YouTube account.

It should be fixed now.

Sean of the World

Smash Rookie
The videos work now. Thanks! My only question clarifying what you're saying about DI out of foxes UAIR. When you say Slide DI Down-Away to Up-Away does that simply mean (and let's pretend we're DIing to the left) that your stick is starting in the down position, then sliding all the way around the left side of the octagon the stick sits in to the top position then back down to the left position in the same motion?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I believe he's saying start at the bottom left diagonal of the octagon, slide up to the upper left diagonal, then back down and repeat. This would DI you to the left. To DI up you would slide from the upper left to the upper right repeatedly. To DI down slide from the bottom left to the bottom right repeatedly. Wherever you want to go should be directly between the 2 endpoints of you slide, and your slide should cover no more than 90 degrees of the octagon.

Sean of the World

Smash Rookie
I believe he's saying start at the bottom left diagonal of the octagon, slide up to the upper left diagonal, then back down and repeat. This would DI you to the left. To DI up you would slide from the upper left to the upper right repeatedly. To DI down slide from the bottom left to the bottom right repeatedly. Wherever you want to go should be directly between the 2 endpoints of you slide, and your slide should cover no more than 90 degrees of the octagon.
That's what I was thinking too and everything makes sense once more. Thanks guys.

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
Wow this is really something. Can't believe I never noticed this thread. Very helpful since I've been playing 64 like crazy recently. :yeahboi:

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
I apologize for bumping such an old thread but I was wondering if anybody has the pictures/videos saved to reupload? Nearly all of them are down for this thread.

Indefa

Smash Apprentice
^I would also like to third this. Seems like good info for people still learning like myself.

Top Bottom