• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Din's Fire combo potential???

Jimster

Smash Cadet
There was a little criticism on Din's Fire on reddit a few days ago. I by no means am trying to say Din's is a good move, but it DOES combo (Yes, in Smash 4). Unfortunately I don't have a wii u with capture card with me nor do I have a significant amount of experience on comboing with Din's Fire, but I do want to raise the awareness that Din's Fire might actually have a bit of use in terms of comboing. This makes use of the sour spot of Din's fire (3% damage). Due to its minimal knockback, this works across the cast till 130% and above depending on the weight and falling speed with exception of fastfallers, who cannot be comboed by this at low percents.

In order to do this you need to short hop and Din's fire towards your opponent, and release immediately while placing yourself right by the opponent when you land. Make sure the 3% sourspot hitbox is landed (which is edit: easier to land now due to a patch that edit: decreased its sweetspot size), this will send the opponent slightly in front, behind or above zelda's chest area at low percents depending on your position, which allows you to utilt, usmash, grab etc at low percents, note your options can be quite different depending on the size, weight and falling speed of your opponent. Pretty much everything works on larger characters but for characters like mario it could be difficult to sweetspot jab. Above around 100% you can use a usmash or Farore's for a kill. For feather weight characters you can even combo into short hop lightening kick at higher percents. It is worthnoting that you can still control the direction of Din's fire after you release B button, this is essential for short characters and characters with a larger hitbox at lower body (e.x.: princess....), they may require you to angle Din's Fire lower in order to land properly.

In terms of the use of this set up, I have to say it is not easy to land. Personally this only worked at punishing landing, opponent's failed up B and shield break punish. Again it can be hard to pull off due to the small sourspot hitbox, long starting time and percise positioning.

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
I never thought I'd see the day where someone suggests approaching with Din's Fire...

Jimster

Smash Cadet
I never thought I'd see the day where someone suggests approaching with Din's Fire...
I am not suggesting approaching with it. I am simply saying that there are combos from it. I am not suggesting this is a good approaching option.

I have to apologize that I forgot to make it clear. Approaching with Din's fire or simply using Din's fire at such distance in neutral is obvious not a good option. The purpose of this thread is simply to state that this is a combo, that is it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Make sure the 3% sourspot hitbox is landed (which is harder to land now due to a buff patch that increased sweetspot size)
Din's Fire's sweetspot size was nerfed in a patch, not buffed. The sweetspot size was reduced 2.7 -> 2.1.

It's easier to hit this than it was before, not harder (though definitely still not recommended, jumping at someone with Din's is asking to be murdered).

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Decided to check it from a statistical standpoint (because a lot of people claim something can combo when it can't really.)

At 0%, the sourspot...has a hit advantage of +1 (my mind: an actual hit advantage...)

I'm legitimately surprised to realize this.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
People quick to fully dismiss this move's possible uses are being close-minded. It is very possible to catch landings with DinsFire and get a utilt or upsmash easily as long as the sourspot hits. In tournament I managed a read on a airdodge jump-in from a Falcon returning to the stage with b-verse DinsFire(to where he was landing)>Utilt > nair. Damage is damage. (and un-staling points) And I've done this on more than one occasion, and DinsFire>FaroresWind>ko is very much real. So is DinsFire> footstool> your mom. Yeah the risk is ******** for just frekn 3% but i say its payoff is pretty decent.

When im not catching obvious landings, i always tend to suddenly bverse it towards my Opponent when i get them to chase (walk) after me, 'crossing them up' and they usually just sit in sheild, inadvertently let the sweet spot hit their Sheild, Usually screwing up any sense of their timing and do the wrong sided grab,Allowing me to run usually/pp jab .Since the move is pretty unknown in terms of its sheildstun (?) I'd imagine? Maybe they sucked but a few times i was grabbed out of the air, but DinsFire actually broke me free as they shifted their Hurtbox trying to throw/pummel me, seriously.. Its important to note that it's necessary to angle DinsFire down to tighten the gap between Zeldork and Din's hitbox.

Though of course not everyone HAS to use this, OP is simply pointing out that it does indeed have combo/kill potential. so spare the arrogant "LULS DinsFailure" and just hear out how others at various levels of play happen to try utilizing it in their fights. No one will pick Zelda at Evo and do this, but as a player it is always in the back of my mind.

tl;dr: OP is cute.
sorry for grammer.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Yeah it can combo into a few neat things. I like to set it up directly after a teleport cancel for style points ever since I discovered it accidentally but it's so situational lmao.

Edit: I wish you could explode it sooner like in Brawl. :/

Last edited:
Top Bottom