• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dining Philosophers Mafia! Game Over - Who Won???

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Correct, I sent that message, sending anonymous messages is my power. This game is over now as long as town every player picks up their fork at night.

Vote: TBG

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Fun game. I legit was worried about you for a moment Dabuz, but I did have TBG as one of my picks. I really doubt Known Mafia is Mafia.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Yeah very fun.

soup I don't think we can play without us not liking each other in the game at some point haha

#HBC | ѕoup

Don't worry, I gotta do what I gotta do sometimes. None of it is personal.

#HBC | ѕoup

You know, even if TBG isn't scum I'm not sure how scum could win.

X1-12

Smash Champion
End of Day 3!

Votecount 3.x;

dabuz [0]
Known Mafia [0]
Potassium [0]
Masquerain [0]
TBG [4] - Soup, Potassium, dabuz, Masquerain
soup [0]

Not voting [2] TBG, Known Mafia

TBG Has been Lynched!
Friedrich Nietzsche, Mafia Goon Won't be Dreaming anymore!

TOWN WIN

#HBC | ѕoup

GJ everyone. I carried you all.

Kidding, though activity at times was just ugh

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Kinda disappointed in this game's activity...there's definitely a problem when i'm one of the more active posters in a mafiascum game. xD

Thoughts on the game later.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
2. Known Mafia (Orboknown/Handorin) - I had you as null town this entire game because you made attempts to scumhunt and didn't do anything that caught my eye as scummy, I liked the content from this slot and just would have liked there to be more.

3. Potassium - Day 1 you were working on pushing your on reads and contributing to town so I was comfortable in your slot, then Day 2 I felt like we were sharing the same train of thought to a large extent, with similar reads and plans. Your activity and pro town initiative made me feel extremely comfortable with your slot.

4. -Masquerain- - You got cleared as town through inactivity lmfao. Nothing else I can say. :/

5. Acrostic - Sucks you got NKed, but i'm not surprised when considering how obv. town you were from Day 1. Also, I sent a message to you night one basically stating if you got it, you were cleared townie AND that if you have a power, feel free to use it the next night.

6. TBG - Duuuuuuude, you didn't even try this game :l I was going to push you on Day 3 because you made no effort to post unless you were being pressured and didn't develop your reads. Super lurker scum.

7. Red Ryu - Mid terms hurt your activity and play this game for sure, in the future it might be better just to replace out.

8. ~Tac~ - Sorry for pushing so hard on Day 1 now that I know you are a newbie, but you made a huge mistake and even if you weren't going to flip scum, I thought your lynch was the best one.

9. soup - Stop with the gambits and setup speculation lol. Besides your massive amount of activity I felt like your play was poor because you focused so much on this setup.

For the mod, I think this setup is too strongly in favor of town. Once one mafia member dies, having no NKs + being able to clear up to two players as town due to seating arrangements means it's basically good game. I think this setup would work in an 11 man game with 3 mafia just because it makes mafia less fragile. Also, having some scum PRs aside from the NK would help balance the presence of all these town PRs for the setup. It's a cool concept and would love to play a tweaked version of this setup.

#HBC | ѕoup

Gambits leaded to discussion. Gambits got me the reactions I wanted. Gambits are fruitful if you know what you're doing. Trying to call off a gambit or the alike simply because of it's nature is stupid. Your comment about the setup too makes me salty, because it's obvious that X1 made this game to have the setup in mind. Ignoring it completely and trying to conventional scumhunt would eventually get us to a wall where we would have to talk about it. In fact, that same thing happened. I was active because that's what I needed to do. I literally was talking to myself at times, trying desperately for you all to do something. This isn't about bragging rights or anything, but this really was a sub-par if not below average game. A game ending in #505 posts isn't something I would call "Good." You all had me frustrated at my wit's end to figure out what to do.

I'm not going to say I was amazing because frankly this game was pretty damn straight-forward. Scum did not play that well and Red Ryu simply giving up and self-voting clearly showed this. TBG didn't have a leg to stand on afterwards.

#HBC | ѕoup

Sure, I'll do shout-outs.

1. Dabuz - You got better. Much better. That had me suspicious because I felt you stepped up only because you were scum and you had to. I don't think you're exactly fine-tuned yet, and I think you gotta work on some things, some I'm sure you're aware of. Don't worry about that though, because I'm still working out some kinks. Stick around and play some more games, I'd love to see you climb up the mountain of DGames.

2. Known Mafia - You were pretty town this game but I feel like you didn't have a sense of direction. You posted in the thread at times but never were you really a direct influence on anything. I think you should try and assert yourself, and don't be afraid of whatever was holding you back. Orbo, you definitely don't come off as that player so I'm not sure what was bothering you.

3. Potassium - You're a good player and you doubt yourself too often. This doubt leads to your own folly. You need to be less conscious about yourself and your image, and focus on what matters to you. Sometimes I feel like it really takes me to push you to get your true intentions out, because you feel like your opinion doesn't mean worth or you need to calculate something before you do anything. You shouldn't feel like you need to held back, and your late-game is always better than your early game play because you're no longer doing that.

4. -Masquerain- - I wish you coulda been more active. I couldn't discern whether you were busy or just bull****ting. I guess that answer came to me eventually. When you're actually here and you have time, you're a solid player who is easy to understand. I really like that about you and it's one of your strong points.

5. Acrostic - Your play-style is interesting. Analytic is a good way to put it. I like it. I don't feel you did bad at all this game, and certainly scum didn't feel that way either. I feel that you're pretty easy to pin too, and I can read you quite easily. I guess that comes with your style, and I don't feel there's need for critique here.

6. TBG - Lame play. You guys could have done so much more. Your problem resided with your inconsistency with your read on me. That could have been something you could have pushed but instead you just..let it die. Don't do that. A good scum emulates a good town. Town wouldn't drop their read like that suddenly without a reason. I think you have potential though, and I was stumped by you at times by some of the genuineness of your posting. Work on being more convincing and consistent, and you'll be golden.

7. Red Ryu - I don't think I've ever misread you as scum ruy. Read my post on how I pinned you if you want to improve. I don't think you're a bad scum and you're learning how to emulate your town-play. That question list was quite townie and I think you knew this, but you just let yourself slide and eventually it all caught up to you.

8. ~Tac~ - I like you. I don't have any criticism other than play some more games and get a feel of how you want to play. Learn what's comfortable for you and learn how you approach mafia. How I play isn't how you play, or how you should. You have most of the fundamentals down already, you were fairly active, you explained your thought process and you voted accordingly. Perhaps work on getting your point across better, and being less confusing? That early stuff was pretty confusing dude.

9. soup - Hi. Stop getting so mad about mafia all the time.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Yeah, I can agree the lack of activity was atrocious, I've played games where D1 is already at 506 posts. I also agree that scum wasn't playing well.

I understand not to call out the gambit for it being a gambit since they can be good for forcing discussion (see, start of Day 1, near end of Day 1). I think this game would have been over much quicker on Day 2 without the last gambit tho. RR would have been the obvious lynch, and TBG had enough dirt on himself to be the next lynch, especially when considering you found that connection between the two.

#HBC | ѕoup

From mypov, I had it as You/RR/TBG. The census taker gives me a direct question and allows me to garner a reaction from you accordingly. I also wanted to know if Known Mafia was going to call me out or just run with it, but instead he came in and called me out. That's what I wanted. It might have looked dirty and not polished, but you don't need to be picture-perfect and you shouldn't worry about your image. If you're town, it will see through that you're town.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
soup was pro-town and the weird moments were unnecessary for him to commit to if he was scum. What was obvious was that he was dedicated to producing content and if town has half a common sense they would let the man be and do his thing for at least one or two days before trying to figure out his intent. As for him town telling, I would say that him taking a bunch of weird risks would be considered townie. However, that's only given the context of the game. Imo if I were scum I would have nk'd soup, because I would have tunneled on Known Mafia for sub-par play and having seen Hando-scum play in literally the same dispassionate and condescending manner. And I would not have felt bad at all on the town flip. Also I never picked up my tableware. I think that everyone agrees that role blocker is more of an end game role and considering the dynamic, I didn't want to block a possible investigation from either of my table mates. Just to reiterate, I am very happy that I died because my main town read was lynched. The scum hardly played at all and town literally out-played scum to their death. Seriously.

I won't criticize scum because I hate the alignment and also treat it with dispassion. But, I have issues with the self-hammer. Mostly because self-hammering should only be really used when you're trying to keep reads from the town due to setting up connection cases. In the long-run, TBG didn't have any suction with anyone and solo-play wise he would be lynched eventually out of a 3-way. This is compounded by the fact that the setup is outright punishing for solo-mafia in that they must out town tell what arguably becomes the two towniest people in a game given they have their night kill stripped from them. Considering this, I would not have self hammered if I were thinking logically and would have tried to desperately save my own skin. But then again, I hate playing scum.

I like all the other townies, I just didn't bother to harass Masq. because I didn't figure it would do any good.

PS. I also like the scummies too.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I feel like I should really read again, but MVP Soup for this game. My rationale in not lynching him D1 is that he was out playing everyone and if town lost to him as scum, then it would be a whole lot better than losing to anyone else. Given the shallow content of the game.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
NOOOOO!!!!

Wish I was more active Day 2, but I wanted to hardbody my midterms, which I did =D.

Dang it, Soup is getting at that Nabe status with reading me.

Dabuz is improving.

Acro is scary and needed to die N1 ASAP.

Tac lynch was meh, he read new town even if this was an openish set-up.

Kantrip funny.

Joey, hydra with me.

TBG, I let you down!

Known mafia played super good.

Ruy needs to duy.

Me like what happened, well done town.

X1-12

Smash Champion
@Dabuz: Its a design choice of the setup that both scum should try hard to both stay alive, similar to the mafia in TWEWY. There is also a crap ton of PRs but in a typical game none of them would get used successfully

If anyone ever does want to run a similar-ish set-up, an interesting variant I thought of was where each play can decide if they want to grab the left or right fork first.

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
Role PMs?

Was the inspiration of this flavor based on the AIM conversation we had years ago X1? Seeing John Locke as the sample role PM was cool.

X1-12

Smash Champion
We had a conversation about this??? I remember talking to Sword who introduced me to John Locke, but unfortunately that's not really where this idea came from. The Dining Philosophers Problem is actually a problem discussed in Computer Science to highlight the issue of deadlocks in concurrent systems. Then since Kary is a bro and I know he knows a bit about Philosophy he helped me out with the characters and Role PMs

And I'm afraid to say I won't be playing agian, this is probably about the last DGames will see of me

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Well I just lost my 'thx for your play' post. Great.

Thanks for playing. It's not perfect but I hope you enjoyed it.

I'd rather take questions than try type stuff out again.

Also was Nietzsche mafia because of the nature of his philosophy or because of his silly mustache?
I searched for something like 'phiolsophy evil quotations' and went from there. I was trying to stick with relatively well known philosophers and get some cool quotes in there, though it was tough to fit some of the roles.

I'm sure X1 won't mind me sharing the role PMs:

Hello dabuz! Welcome to Dining Philosophers Mafia. You are Plato, Town Agent

"Death is not the worst that can happen to men."
-Laws

Abilities
At any time during any Night Phase you may send the command Message: [Player Name] [Message], and the message will be sent via me to the chosen player (I will send it to them, not you). You are welcome to reveal your identity if you wish, however be noted that fundamentals: rule 7 applies here and you may not quote mod communication etc etc. Your message is limited to 100 Characters and anything longer than that will simply be cut off. Remember that to complete this action successfully you need to acquire two forks (see Set-up Info in the OP)

Win Condition

You win when the two Mafia members have been eliminated​

===========================
Hello Killistic Welcome to Dining Philosophers Mafia. You are Immanuel Kant, Town Roleblocker

"Act as if the maxim of thy action were to become by thy will a universal law of nature."
Groundwork of the Metaphysics of Morals

Abilities
At any time during any Night Phase you may send the command Roleblock: [Player Name] and the targeted player will be unable to make any Night Actions on this Night Phase. Remember that to complete this action successfully you need to acquire two forks (see Set-up Info in the OP)

Win Condition

=======================================

Hello Kreative Whiz Kidz Welcome to Dining Philosophers Mafia. You are Thomas Hobbes, Town Bodyguard

"The obligation of subjects to the sovereign is understood to last as long, and no longer, than the power lasteth by which he is able to protect them."
Leviathan, part 2

Abilities
At any time during any Night Phase you may send the command Guard: [Player Name] and if the targeted player would be killed that Night, you instead will die and the player you targeted would survive. Remember that to complete this action successfully you need to acquire two forks (see Set-up Info in the OP)

Win Condition

==================================================

Hello TBG Welcome to Dining Philosophers Mafia. You are Friedrich Nietzsche, Mafia Goon

"Unpleasant, even dangerous, qualities can be found in every nation and every individual."
Human, All too Human

Abilities
At any time during any Night Phase you may send me either the command Pass Fork or Kill: [Player Name] If you send me the first command then you will pass a fork to your Mafia Partner (If they are dead, using this ability will have no effect). If you send me the second command then you will kill the chosen player. Remember that to complete the second of these actions (the kill) successfully you need to acquire two forks (see Set-up Info in the OP)

Furthermore you are able to communicate privately with Red Ryu (Bertrand Russell, Mafia Goon) at any time, and a QuickTopic is provided for this purpose for you here: http://www.quicktopic.com/50/H/KeYXi4Fgreb

Win Condition
You win when it becomes impossible for the Town to eliminate you via their own means.​

========================================================

Hello Soup Welcome to Dining Philosophers Mafia. You are Ludwig Wittgenstein, Town Reporter

"About what one can not speak, one must remain silent."
Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus

Abilities
At any time during any Night Phase you may send the command Report: [Player Name] and you will be informed if the targeted player successfully made action or not. Remember that to complete this action successfully you need to acquire two forks (see Set-up Info in the OP)

Win Condition

Hello Known Mafia Welcome to Dining Philosophers Mafia. You are David Hume, Town Cop

"A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence"
An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding

Abilities
At any time during any Night Phase you may send the command Investigate: [Player Name] and you will be informed if the targeted player is a part of the Mafia, or a part of the Town. Remember that to complete this action successfully you need to acquire two forks (see Set-up Info in the OP)

Win Condition

Hello Tac Welcome to Dining Philosophers Mafia. You are Rene Descartes, Vanilla Townie

"I think, therefore I am"
Meditations on First philosophy

Abilities
You are a Vanilla Townie so you have no Special Abilities, and must rely on your voice and your vote!

Win Condition

Hello Red Ryu Welcome to Dining Philosophers Mafia. You are Bertrand Russell, Mafia Goon

"All human activity is prompted by desire."

Abilities
At any time during any Night Phase you may send me either the command Pass Fork or Kill: [Player Name] If you send me the first command then you will pass a fork to your Mafia Partner (If they are dead, using this ability will have no effect). If you send me the second command then you will kill the chosen player. Remember that to complete the second of these actions (the kill) successfully you need to acquire two forks (see Set-up Info in the OP)

Furthermore you are able to communicate privately with TBG (Freidrich Neitzsche, Mafia Goon) at any time, and a QuickTopic is provided for this purpose for you here: http://www.quicktopic.com/50/H/KeYXi4Fgreb

Win Condition
You win when it becomes impossible for the Town to eliminate you via their own means.​

Hello Masquerain Welcome to Dining Philosophers Mafia. You are G.W.F. Hegel, Town Voyeur

"Just as little is seen in pure light as in pure darkness."
The Science of Logic

Abilities
At any time during any Night Phase you may send the command Voyeur: [Player Name] and you will be informed what actions we successfully taken on your targeted player. Remember that to complete this action successfully you need to acquire two forks (see Set-up Info in the OP)

Win Condition

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
We had a conversation about this??? I remember talking to Sword who introduced me to John Locke, but unfortunately that's not really where this idea came from. The Dining Philosophers Problem is actually a problem discussed in Computer Science to highlight the issue of deadlocks in concurrent systems. Then since Kary is a bro and I know he knows a bit about Philosophy he helped me out with the characters and Role PMs

And I'm afraid to say I won't be playing agian, this is probably about the last DGames will see of me
You brought it up a few times during AIM mafia in the Days of Olde.
Makin' me tear up btdubs.

Top Bottom