• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ding Dong Execution Guide

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Decided to make this because a lot of people are asking how to do it. Made a separate thread because it's more likely to be seen here than as a random post in another thread.

Basically there's three aspects to donging someone:

Throwing them as soon as you jump
Buffering the double jump out of the throw
Waiting until the apex of the double jump to uair them

The first is the trickiest to get the timing down for. The easiest way is to roll your finger from Y to A. However, if you do it too quickly you'll perform a jump cancel and DK will uthrow without jumping. If you're doing this, do it slower until you don't jump and do it properly. It's hard to explain the timing for this, but it's a 'smooth' transition from Y to A. It's not something you rush and press quickly

The second part is buffering the double jump out of the throw. This is pretty easy to do once you consciously try to. Just press jump when the throw animation is ending and DK will double jump on the first frame possible.

The last part is waiting until the apex of the double jump to uair. This isn't important at low percents (you shouldn't be uairing at low percents anyway) but becomes more important the higher the percent.

To practice, set Mario to 85% in training mode. If you can consistently dong him and have it register at a true combo, you're fulfilling all these conditions at a basic level. You can actually dong him up to 90% but the execution becomes a lot tighter and will probably require a lot more practice.

Last edited:

RPK

Smash Lord
Is it recommended to learn how to get the 90% Ding Dong or is the 85% one enough? Ive been able to get the 85% one over and over but the 90% continues to elude me as its something I can only get once out of 5 tries

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Is it recommended to learn how to get the 90% Ding Dong or is the 85% one enough? Ive been able to get the 85% one over and over but the 90% continues to elude me as its something I can only get once out of 5 tries
Well it's a good idea to learn the 90 one because it means you can kill people at higher percents.

You'll often kill them in the easier range, but learning the tighter ones gives you more leeway.

RPK

Smash Lord
Well it's a good idea to learn the 90 one because it means you can kill people at higher percents.

You'll often kill them in the easier range, but learning the tighter ones gives you more leeway.
I gotta admit...that 90% one is a pain in the ass to get 100% of the time

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
you can buffer an up-cargo throw out of a jump if you simply use an u-tilt input.
You dont jump cancel when you do u-tilt input.

if you want super easy ding-dongs use A-stick.

Top Bottom