• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Din Peregrine, a SSBB Falco Guide [Updated: 10/16/09]

Status
Not open for further replies.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
I'll be totally honest.

I think this whole thing needs to be rewritten. Enoch, no doubt you're a great guy that means well. Let's face it, though, your typing style is naturally drawn out. Your posts are usually in paragraphs/walls and the style of this guide is the same. Believe it or not, appearance is almost as important as the content itself. Nobody wants to read walls, so I think we need a totally new guide. I know it sounds kind of impulsive, but the results would be well worth the effort. Nobody, especially immature black teenagers want to read walls of text. As a community, I believe we can break up the guide into sections and discuss them - then summarize them into simple yet effective points. It would be a community effort, with more people participating and debating.

And I say we start it ASAP - as in today.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
This is the Peach guide. I think it's the best you're gonna see for a Brawl character guide, by far. It has:
  • Organized skeleton.
  • Near perfect format.
  • Informative, detailed, and precise content.
  • Match-Ups and their summaries.
  • Stage Tips (but not complete)
  • A variety of colored text, for distinguishable information.
  • Has people that actually contribute.
  • Has a real Character Back Room account with a cool avatar :bee:

I love the entire thing, to be honest. Just seeing it influences me to start working on one for us. But, we don't have one of those cool accounts (lol) or even the motivation/focus to complete this. I wish you guys would prove me wrong, though. There's so much about this character that needs to be available for everyone and it's our job to make it happen.

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
This is the Peach guide. I think it's the best you're gonna see for a Brawl character guide, by far.[
That guide is amazing. The most complicated thing I know how to do with the forum editor is create a link.

You all can do what you want. Until I see a better guide than mine, I'll likely keep updating Din Peregrine with my own insights and others I see from people posting here.

Let's face it, though, your typing style is naturally drawn out.
I don't disagree. I appreciate how nicely you put all that, lol.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I have to agree with Enochuout. Looking over Peach's guide, I don't have the ability to do that. His guide is very well put together. Minor improvements could be done, but with out the ability to simulate Peach's guide, I don't see the necessity of completely redoing the guide. I'll try to do some more research, but it may be that w/o a BR account, we may not have the privileges to do what the Peach's guide has done.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Yeah, I don't think we have the privileges to do what has been done to the Peach guide. I played around with the hide/show feature, and I can do it using html, however, trying to post the same code in here, just types all the html out. Not sure if I'm missing something here or not. Any ideas?

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Yeah, I don't think we have the privileges to do what has been done to the Peach guide. I played around with the hide/show feature, and I can do it using html, however, trying to post the same code in here, just types all the html out. Not sure if I'm missing something here or not. Any ideas?
We have the privileges, see?

[Collapse=Weight List]1. Bowser (120)
2. Donkey Kong (116)
3. Snake (113)
4. King Dedede (112)
5. Charizard (110)
6. Ganondorf (109)
7. Samus (108)
8. Wario (107)
8. Yoshi (107)
10. R.O.B. (106)
11. Ike (105)
12. Captain Falcon (104)
12. Link (104)
14. Wolf (102)
15. Ivysaur (100)
15. Lucario (100)
17. Mario (98)
18. Luigi (97)
19. Sonic (95)
20. Lucas (94)
20. Ness (94)
20. Pit (94)
23. Diddy Kong (93)
24. Ice Climbers (92)
24. Toon Link (92)
26. Peach (90)
27. Marth (87)
28. Sheik (85)
28. Zelda (85)
30. Falco (82)
30. Olimar (82)
32. Zero Suit Samus (81)
33. Fox (80)
34. Meta Knight (79)
34. Pikachu (79)
36. Kirby (78)
37. Mr. Game & Watch (75)
37. Squirtle (75)
39. Jigglypuff (68)[/Collapse]

>>>> [ collapse=] TEXT [/ collapse] <<<<

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
And there you have it. I will get started very soon!

EDIT: I have started on the guide. I think it is going to look good. Enochuout, I am using the information you've provided and conditioning it with the looks of my guide. I will definitely give you credit for all of the work. I will still give credit to the guys that you have given credit for. It will take some time, but I "should" be finished with it in about a week. Just depends on how much time I get to work on it. Ultimately, I could be finished within a couple of days. Once I finish, I'll post it, and get you guys to critique the hell out of it, so that we can make it perfect.

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
I can make new videos to display advanced techniques and whatnot. Just let me know what you need and when you need it etc.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
That would be awesome! It will mainly be of the advance techniques. I'll use a lot of what you used, and if I see a need for anything else, I'll let you know. Thanks!

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Zonderion you should send me what you have so far. It was my idea, after all.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Well, if you don't want me to do it, then just say so. I was just trying to contribute. You decide: Either you do it, or let me or someone else. It's going to get to be too confusing trying to copy each other's code and work on it together. You make improvements at the same time I, or someone else make's improvements... who do you go with? We should decide on one person, and leave it at that. It doesn't matter to me. I would be more than willing (and happy) to do it. But you are correct, this was your idea, and I applaud you for it. I've already given you credit in the guide.

pulse131

Smash Ace
it was my idea to take out the trash yesterday but my roomate did.
but it was my idea so i get credit.
ya i guess that kinda makes sense

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I personally don't care about the credit. I enjoy programming the user interface on projects. But to a certain degree, I also don't want to just give up the hour(s) that I've put into it when its nowhere close to being finished. I have vision of where I want the guide to go, and giving that up midstream is difficult. But if its for the Falco boards, then I guess I could.

pulse131

Smash Ace
the way i see it just stick to what your doing. dont let anybody else take what you have and alter it. if anything you guys can figure out changes later.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Well, if you don't want me to do it, then just say so. I was just trying to contribute. You decide: Either you do it, or let me or someone else. It's going to get to be too confusing trying to copy each other's code and work on it together. You make improvements at the same time I, or someone else make's improvements... who do you go with? We should decide on one person, and leave it at that. It doesn't matter to me. I would be more than willing (and happy) to do it. But you are correct, this was your idea, and I applaud you for it. I've already given you credit in the guide.
What? I support and appreciate your efforts, man. I don't have the time (or attention span) to do it on my own. I see what you mean with the code and all that - that is understandable. I'm looking forward to the finished product, then. If you need any help just ask.

pulse131

Smash Ace
sorry kaiba, but it wont be ME who is going to lose THIS duel.
giant hairy balls everywhere (kuribohs)

pulse131

Smash Ace
thats exactly what kaiba would say.
then he'd cheat fate and not believe his comings.
when will you learn, kaiba.

pulse131

Smash Ace
anyways...
when your part comes zond. ill be sure to look it over and point out things that may have been missed.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
That will be great. I'm not a guru when it comes to this game, nor do I know a lot of information. I'm trying to get what I can from reliable sources and put it in this guide, so bet on things that need to be fixed.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Sorry, I've been busy at work and haven't been able to accomplish a lot. I've come up with a guideline on my own... It may be one of those that you either like, or dislike. I won't take any offense if it's not what the Falco Community is looking for. I'm about 1/3 of the way finished. When I get finished, I'll submit the 1st draft, we can make revisions and then proceed from there.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Zonderion, do you plan to make a new thread with the final product?

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
It would make a lot of sense for Zonderion to start a new thread for the guide (and possibly a group for discussions concerning the guide). As he has said himself, his skills are more in line with structuring the guide and making it easier to understand and be accessible to the community. It also sounds like he is open to input from notable and reliable sources as to the information he may include in the guide. In other words, he more or less fills the role of a project manager.

With a couple advisors relaying their personal expertise onto Zonderion, it seems that we could truly start venturing down a community driven guide. I'd be happy to offer more in depth explanations on Advanced Techniques that Zonderion can incorporate into the guide. I'm sure there is some community member out there that is known for testing and explaining comprehensive frame data, and it shouldn't be too hard to get him to relay pertinent information on to Zonderion as well.

There are several other areas that could use a community trusted representative to advise Zonderion in specific areas of the guide: Matchups, stage picks, counterpicks, dubs strategy, etc. Who knows, if something like this really gets going, why not get all the representives from time to time to discuss the overlap and explore Falco in his entirety.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
It would make a lot of sense for Zonderion to start a new thread for the guide (and possibly a group for discussions concerning the guide). As he has said himself, his skills are more in line with structuring the guide and making it easier to understand and accessible to the community. It also sounds like he is open to input from notable and reliable sources as to the information he may include in the guide. In other words, he more or less fills the role of a project manager.

With a couple advisors relaying their personal expertise onto Zonderion, it seems that we could truly start venturing down a community driven guide. I'd be happy to offer more in depth explanations on Advanced Techniques that Zonderion can incorporate into the guide. I'm sure there is some community member out there that is known for testing and explaining comprehensive frame data, and it shouldn't be too hard to get him to relay pertinent information on to Zonderion as well.

There are several other areas that could use a community trusted representative to advise Zonderion in specific areas of the guide: Matchups, stage picks, counterpicks, dubs strategy, etc. Who knows, if something like this really gets going, why not get all the representives from time to time to discuss the overlap and explore Falco in his entirety.
I think this is a great idea. I'm actually getting to the part of the guide that deals with opponents, stages and the such. Ultimately I would love to include the Match Ups in this guide, but for the lack of information, I was going to provide a link to the MU thread already available.

I think you nailed it on the head with me being just a project manager, as I will need information from the best sources for the guide. If we could get the expertise on each area to contribute, with out a doubt we would have the best guide.

And yes, I will start a new thread and I'll see about a new group. There is already a group called All Falco. We may be able to use that group. I'll have talk to MARLX and find out.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
  • Camping
  • Cancel
  • Chain Grab*
  • Dash Attack Cancelled Up Smash*
  • Directional Influence
  • Frames
  • Input Buffering*
  • Mind Games
  • Momentum Canceling
  • Pivoting
  • Reverse Aerial Rush
  • Short Hop
  • Short Hop Laser
  • Short Hop Double Laser
  • Smash Directional Influence
  • Spacing
  • Stutter Stepping
  • HitBox
  • Gatlin Combo

So far this is the list of terms that I've come up with. Those marked with an * will be covered in more detail. As it is right now, I have a brief definition of each of these terms. Are there terms on here you don't want? or are there some I don't have that you think should be on there?

If anyone can give me information regarding stages, that would be incredible!! Best and Worst stages for Falco, and counter picks for opponents. I've got the list that Enochuout has in his guide that I can use. What do you guys think about the MUs? DEHF said he would help out where needed. Also, any of the ATs we can get videos for, I'll start taking those now too.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
  • Camping
  • Cancel
  • Chain Grab*
  • Dash Attack Cancelled Up Smash*
  • Directional Influence
  • Frames
  • Input Buffering*
  • Mind Games
  • Momentum Canceling
  • Pivoting
  • Reverse Aerial Rush
  • Short Hop
  • Short Hop Laser
  • Short Hop Double Laser
  • Smash Directional Influence
  • Spacing
  • Stutter Stepping
  • HitBox
  • Gatlin Combo

So far this is the list of terms that I've come up with. Those marked with an * will be covered in more detail. As it is right now, I have a brief definition of each of these terms. Are there terms on here you don't want? or are there some I don't have that you think should be on there?

If anyone can give me information regarding stages, that would be incredible!! Best and Worst stages for Falco, and counter picks for opponents. I've got the list that Enochuout has in his guide that I can use. What do you guys think about the MUs? DEHF said he would help out where needed. Also, any of the ATs we can get videos for, I'll start taking those now too.
There's none on that list that I want removed, except maybe mind games. I don't believe you can really make a guide on how to mess with someone's mind. Whatever. However I think you should separate them between General and Falco-specific terms.

Also, this may help with your stage request.

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
Also, any of the ATs we can get videos for, I'll start taking those now too.
I don't have a brawl disc right now, but if I can get my hands on a disc this week, I should be able to go down the list of ATs I know of and make videos of them by next week. Just to be on the safe side, it might be a good idea for people here to go ahead and list off all the ATs Falco can utilize so we can be as comprehensive and concise as possible.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that the stage list and matchup chart above are pretty dated and in a lot of cases inaccurate. Stage selection, especially for Falco, is very dependent on your opponent's character (or character options, i.e., characters the opponent can play). I think that until we have reliable sources for specific matchups etc, we should just leave that topic alone... doing what Zonderion did, and simply linking to the MU thread should suffice until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom