• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Din Peregrine, a SSBB Falco Guide [Updated: 10/16/09]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
I've got some extra time this upcoming month before Christmas, so I'll see about updating the guide. I've got ideas about what I feel should be added or changed, but if y'all have any suggestions, feel free to let me know.

Vlade

Social Outcast

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
We were already working on a guide a while ago now which is different to this. It was a write-in-progress and while we got some good work done we didn't quite end up finishing it.

Here is the thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=238599&highlight=Guide

Looking at it now I actually think it's nearly done, just 4 more sub-sections needed to be written according to the Table of Contents
Yay for big, long, drawn out, poorly-colored & formatted Falco guide. :facepalm:

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
We were already working on a guide a while ago now which is different to this. It was a write-in-progress and while we got some good work done we didn't quite end up finishing it.

Here is the thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=238599&highlight=Guide

Looking at it now I actually think it's nearly done, just 4 more sub-sections needed to be written according to the Table of Contents
I only wish you people actually cared about helping the community, then maybe I could relax. As it is, I feel it'd be irresponsible of me to just assume you guys will get your crap together and do something pertinent. In terms of content, that guide is a joke. It doesn't take much to regurgitate the same information my guide provides, reworded and with some pictures. Now, the concept (having many people contribute to an all encompassing guide) is sound, that is, if the collaborators are actually contributing new content. However, from what I can see, you guys haven't even touched on the things my guide overlooked: character match-ups and stage selection, among other things.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
I only wish you people actually cared about helping the community, then maybe I could relax. As it is, I feel it'd be irresponsible of me to just assume you guys will get your crap together and do something pertinent. In terms of content, that guide is a joke. It doesn't take much to regurgitate the same information my guide provides, reworded and with some pictures. Now, the concept (having many people contribute to an all encompassing guide) is sound, that is, if the collaborators are actually contributing new content. However, from what I can see, you guys haven't even touched on the things my guide overlooked: character match-ups and stage selection, among other things.
AGREED. Let's make it interesting and updated (:

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
On that note, in case it wasn't already obvious, contributions to this guide are always more than welcome... and you don't need to be part of some back room either. I'm currently focusing my attention on writing a decent match-up section, which I have particular difficulty with because I never feel as though I'm being comprehensive enough. So yeah, help me out or point me in the direction of some wise words.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
On that note, in case it wasn't already obvious, contributions to this guide are always more than welcome... and you don't need to be part of some back room either. I'm currently focusing my attention on writing a decent match-up section, which I have particular difficulty with because I never feel as though I'm being comprehensive enough. So yeah, help me out or point me in the direction of some wise words.
And this is where the matchup thread becomes useful. We had the idea of posting summaries of the matchups. Some tips, warnings, etc. But we're discussing the matchups now. So I guess hold off on that part? :urg:

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check back with the MU thread from time to time to see where they're at. I know the "advanced techniques" section needs some sprucing up, so I'll focus my attention there for now.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check back with the MU thread from time to time to see where they're at. I know the "advanced techniques" section needs some sprucing up, so I'll focus my attention there for now.
Well if I were you I'd start at the beginning and work my way down. But, hey, your guide, your call.

But if you're gonna do ATs, here.

FALCO-SPECIFIC TECHNIQUES
BDACUS
Chaingrab - add link to DEHF's thread
Gattling 'combo'
Immediate Aerial Phantasm
Laser Lock
Rapelol
Short Hop Laser
Short Hop Double Laser
Phantasm Cancel
Pivot Boost Grab
Short Hop Double Laser
Short Hop Single Laser

GENERAL HELPFUL TECHNIQUES
Buffering
DACUS
Platform Cancel
Reverse Aerial Rush
Stutter Step

Vlade

Social Outcast
What makes you think we don't care about helping the community? A lot of people contribute their knowledge in the matchup, Q&A, and critique threads in particular so I don't think there's any reason for you to say that people don't care about helping the community.

One thing the community guide did have over this guide was information on 'how to play falco' which was covered by the Gameplay section. I'm not sure if we were going to add anything else but if you're looking to expand your guide I suggest adding sections on approaching, camping, mixups, killing, recovery, 'mindgames' etc.

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
What makes you think we don't care about helping the community? A lot of people contribute their knowledge in the matchup, Q&A, and critique threads in particular so I don't think there's any reason for you to say that people don't care about helping the community.

One thing the community guide did have over this guide was information on 'how to play falco' which was covered by the Gameplay section. I'm not sure if we were going to add anything else but if you're looking to expand your guide I suggest adding sections on approaching, camping, mixups, killing, recovery, 'mindgames' etc.
My comments on 'concern for the community' were aimed only at the staggering lack of original content in the "community guide." I think many of the match-up threads and other things you mentioned are useful resources.

I did see the 'how to play falco' sections there at the end, but honestly, most of it appeared very generic. For example: when talking about Falco's approach, the guide just briefly touches on a few options, all of which are conveyed in cookie cutter terms. While much of the content offered in the guide is good and true, it is very remedial in terms of competitive gameplay. I do agree that a section covering general and specific strategies would be a great addition.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Well if I were you I'd start at the beginning and work my way down. But, hey, your guide, your call.

But if you're gonna do ATs, here.

BDACUS
Gattling 'combo'
Laser Lock
Rapelol
Short Hop Laser
Short Hop Double Laser
Phantasm Cancel
Pivot Boost Grab
Short Hop Double Laser
Short Hop Single Laser

Buffering
DACUS
Platform Cancel
Reverse Aerial Rush
Stutter Step
Add Ledge Canceled Phantasm to that list too if its not in the guide. It has its uses.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Ideas to make it a little more exciting.

Center stage name.
Add picture of stage, just for fun.
Use little StarFox logo icons to rate each out of 5.
Keep descriptions objective.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Laser Lock
Rapelol
Short Hop (silent) Laser
Short Hop Double Laser
Phantasm Cancel
Ledge cancel phantasm

Buffering
DACUS
BDACUS
Boost Grab and Boost Pivot Grab
Gatling 'combo'
Platform Cancel
Reverse Aerial Rush
Glide toss
Instant item throw
Stutter Step
Wavebounce/B reversing
DI & Momentum cancel

STAGE SPECIFIC TECHS
stuff
Looks better like this.

ZTD | TECHnology

I sent you a message regarding the "stuff" ;)

Also Enoch, if there anything I can do to help out with the redeveloping of the guide let me know.

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
I got a little sidetracked throwing together a Falco combo video, so the updates to the guide will take a bit longer to get out than previously stated.

Also, thank you Technical Chase. As I start coming up with an outline of what all needs to be done, I'll post up here anything specific that I think you or others can help me with. To start, if anyone can link me to reliable sources covering topics Falco players's need to know about. I asked DEHF if I could use the data he wrote up in his 'Falco CG thread,' and he gave the a-ok. Other information we could use reliable sources on would be: intricacies of other character's chain-grabs on Falco, momentum canceling specifics for Falco, and perhaps an updated thread for Falco frame data etc.

ZTD | TECHnology

No problem, sir. I'll keep watching out for this thread then and then pick a project and go from there.

Also the **** on that DK in that video was HOT.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Enoch:

To start off, I felt like I was watching a how-to-chaingrab tutorial with occasional other clips. Every Falco player here can do that, so it might as well been a "show off how to do 2008 tactics video." The instances that weren't chaingrabs were 3/4 bad, Enoch. I'm pretty sure you can spice it up. Most of them were not significant. But, I really liked the one on DK towards the beginning. To top it all off, the music made me feel like I was in an intermission of a Muse concert.

Sorry bro I really didn't enjoy the video. It was annoying and repetitive and boring. A lot of this was 2008-like material.

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
Actually most of it was 2008 material. I've never had a consistent way of recording, nor have I ever had the software to edit and create a video. Now that I do, I'm having fun playing with my new toys.

As for the content, if you don't like watching it, cool. Wait a couple months and I should have a video out with material from recent days.

Although I conceded to some electronic music for this video, I figure choosing music that everyone will like is an uphill battle. In future endeavorers I think I'll opt to just go with metal of some sort, at least then I'll enjoy it.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Actually most of it was 2008 material. I've never had a consistent way of recording, nor have I ever had the software to edit and create a video. Now that I do, I'm having fun playing with my new toys.

As for the content, if you don't like watching it, cool. Wait a couple months and I should have a video out with material from recent days.

Although I conceded to some electronic music for this video, I figure choosing music that everyone will like is an uphill battle. In future endeavorers I think I'll opt to just go with metal of some sort, at least then I'll enjoy it.
Looking forward to it.

And music that everyone likes? Apparently that's Bruno Mars or Rihanna these days... :urg:

pulse131

Smash Ace
enoch has spoken.
ill contribute some later. prolly just copy pasta what i posted in the mk mu export

Cloud Cleaver

Smash Journeyman
I'm just starting to pick Falco back up after several months of Marth/not playing, and the main thing I miss about guides and such is the availability to those who don't know much by way of ATs. Many of us are lost with lingo and ATs that build on other ATs, so a coherent guide with minimal Smash-pidgin and explanations or links of all derivative techniques would be VERY nice. Putting all explanations in one place might also help keep "use the search you noob" scenarios from popping up so frequently in the QA thread. Just two cents from an aspiring Falco who stumbled upon the rewrite movement today. cheers.

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
Does the "List of Terms" section here not cover what you're talking about? Or are you just hoping for a more comprehensive list?

Cloud Cleaver

Smash Journeyman
A complete, comprehensive list of all terms and techs, which is kept up to date with the current Brawl scene. While people tend to expect a "base" knowledge of Brawl, most new players start with a character and learn from there. What I mainly meant, though, is a guide that's not so full of the alphabet soup. To a new player, all the CGs and DACUSes and SHDLs get a bit overwhelming. Since guide writers have the leisure of time, actually spelling out most of the terms is helpful, especially when readers aren't reading it all from beginning to end. We're already very term heavy, and many of the terms contradict with the "official" terms used by Sakurai, so basically make it accessible to the easily confused Smash neophyte.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom