• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dimensions VS - PC Platform Fighter - See us at PAX Aus!

SM Sola

Smash Cadet

At its core, Dimensions VS is a Smash Clone for the PC - our core difference is that we plan on having many different modes you wouldn't traditionally see in the Platformer Fighter Genre.

The idea for Dimensions was first conceived back around mid 2015, and we've now been working on it full time for over a year. This is the first major title we worked on as Salty Monster Studio - however we have industry experienced team members and mentors guiding us through this whole process.

So why did we choose to make this game? All of us are passionate Smash Bros fans - but unfortunately not all of us have a Wii U. So we thought the next easiest thing to do would be to make this game for PC.

So what is it that sets our game apart from every other Smash-like?
For starters we're building Dimensions in the Unreal Engine, which we are all experienced in at this point. It's visually powerful and it works well for us, so as a result we'll have a aesthetically pleasing 3D game, which is something you don't see often in platform-fighters.

We're setting out to experiment with atypical game modes for Smashlikes - aside from the core fighter framework, Capture the Flag and Basketbrawl (Inspired by the Smashketball custom mode) are going to be our main priorities. We have many other ideas for game modes in the future, even considering things such as a MOBA mode and Team vs Tank.

Gameplaywise, creating a game that can be picked up and enjoyed by anyone is one of our biggest design philosophies.
We love Smash - we love the tense super competitive 1v1s, and the chaotic 8 man battles. So if we can even capture a little bit of that feeling in our game, we'll be satisfied.

As of this post, we have 7 fully modeled, textured and rigged characters (some including full alt skins), several unannounced guest personalities confirmed (more on the way ;)) and 2 of our own characters completed with their full movesets in-engine.

So without further adieu, allow me to introduce...

Our initial character lineup (minus guest characters) on our first stage, The Last Location.

Originally, our pitch involved having Parody based characters with obviously parodied names (Ala Drawn Together) to poke fun at our "smash clone" idea, but over time the characters have evolved and grown into their own, with many influences still evident in their gameplay and visuals.

Sketchfab Model
Mr. Televisor is the host of this magnificent charade - using his powers over mixed media, Televisor has ripped characters out of their respective universes for his own amusement. But what dark secrets does this funky boogyman harbor...?
Trivia - His design was inspired by Slenderman, Daft Punk, and STAMPER
Check out all of his Special Moves on IndieDB!

Sketchfab Model
Hiroki Watanabe is the best dude ever. Seriously. Hes an international idol, crime fighting, F1 racing, lady charming force of goodness, baby. His innate ability to take down enemies in a single blow has earnt him the moniker 'One Hit Hiro', which also refers to his short lived music career. Ripped from his TV series by Televisor, he strives to put an end to this cruel game.
Trivia - Hiro takes design cues from Space Dandy, Speed Racer, and a certain Captain of the avian variety.

Major Renegade, Earth's greatest hope, and greatest badass. Love them, hate them, it's all the same - they make the decisions around here.
Trivia - Based on the standard generic Space Marine Hero character trope - you may see some Mass Effect, Halo, and Destiny inspirations in their kit!

More character introductions to come - Don't touch that dial!

Salty Monster Studio is a 5 man indie team based in Melbourne, Australia. We are all avid Smash fans and want to make the best game we possibly can.
The team currently consists of 2 artists, 2 programmers, and 1 very appreciated producer!

OUR FACEBOOK

OUR SKETCHFAB (CHARACTER MODELS!)

So let us know what you guys think (keeping in mind that this is super early stuff)
Feel free to comment below!

Last edited:

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
This looks really promising.

Good luck on your future endeavors.

Last edited:

SM Sola

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the warm reception guys! :>

Heres a small collection of alternate colour palettes for the characters we've introduced, and a better look at their in game models!
Some of these may have to be changed eventually due to copyright issues, as parody law can only get us so far :')

Mr.Televisors Alternate Colours

Hiros Alternate Colours

Major Renegades Alternate Colours​

infectedfury

Smash Rookie
Hey Guys, Lead designer here.
Here are a bunch of screenshots from a selection of Maps we have so far.

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Very nice modeling and character design! Hope to see the animation and physics up to the same standard

RagnorokX

Smash Cadet
This looks veeeery clean. Good job, and i wish you a fruitful endeavor.

Catotoro

Smash Rookie
What's up fellow Smashboards lurkers.
Lead Artist and Producer Catotoro here. But more famously I'm the voice-actor of the handsome devil known as Hiro ;)
Here. In the flesh*. To give you beautiful people a quick little update.
So far these are some of the animations I've done for Televisor.
They're still all WIPs so sound and particles need to be touched-up.
They'll also look better on the character in-motion, but for now enjoy :)

*in the flesh is non-specific to the contextual usage of the term, and hence is still applicable in a digital set of circumstances

Onmishift

Smash Rookie
What's up fellow Smashboards lurkers.
Lead Artist and Producer Catotoro here. But more famously I'm the voice-actor of the handsome devil known as Hiro ;)
Here. In the flesh*. To give you beautiful people a quick little update.
So far these are some of the animations I've done for Televisor.
They're still all WIPs so sound and particles need to be touched-up.
They'll also look better on the character in-motion, but for now enjoy :)

*in the flesh is non-specific to the contextual usage of the term, and hence is still applicable in a digital set of circumstances
NICE ANIMS!, im quite the animator myself but quite inexperienced due to the lack of computer, so im stuck using my schools

id love see how you guys animated this

RagnorokX

Smash Cadet
Hmmmm. If i had to lodge a complaint, its that the realism of his face doesn't fit with the rest of his body.

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
This game looks pretty cool! I love the way it looks. :)

Hopefully the game turns out well.

SM Sola

Smash Cadet
Hmmmm. If i had to lodge a complaint, its that the realism of his face doesn't fit with the rest of his body.
Thanks for the feedback - I can see what you mean. The shader we have on him in engine hides that pretty well, but theres always room for tweaks!

This game looks pretty cool! I love the way it looks. :)

Hopefully the game turns out well.
Thank you! :)

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
A 3D inspired Indie Smash game huh? Nice! I love the characters you have so far, especially Mr. Televisor and the stage The Last Location. I hope to see more come from this! Sense this game is making characters inspired by mixed media, I'd love to see a Horror like fighter. Maybe a slasher based on Freddy or Jason, or maybe something more psychological like Pyramid Head.

Good luck on the project guys! You have my support.

Also as a quick question, would you mind if I made a video about this project on my YouTube channel? I feel like this game deserves to be out there!

SM Sola

Smash Cadet
A 3D inspired Indie Smash game huh? Nice! I love the characters you have so far, especially Mr. Televisor and the stage The Last Location. I hope to see more come from this! Sense this game is making characters inspired by mixed media, I'd love to see a Horror like fighter. Maybe a slasher based on Freddy or Jason, or maybe something more psychological like Pyramid Head.

Good luck on the project guys! You have my support.

Also as a quick question, would you mind if I made a video about this project on my YouTube channel? I feel like this game deserves to be out there!
Lets just say that we have many more characters and skins in the works ;)
There's not that much we've posted for you to go on, but if you really want to feel free! Just know that we'll have a lot more content posted over the coming weeks/months, so it may be worth holding off.

This is looking pretty sweet, Cant wait to see more :)
Thanks! :D

SM Sola

Smash Cadet
I´m kinda confused, Is it a mix between blastzone system and life system?
Currently we're experimenting with a hard limit HP system - once you are on 0% HP, you are effectively put on 300%/sudden death. However for the most part all of your kills will be from blastzones.
This is all early on though, and subject to change.

Last edited:

RagnorokX

Smash Cadet
Interesting... I spy what looks like an f-tilt and a f-smash.... but I colud be wrong.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
I can't praise this project enough, dudes. The artwork is incredible, the character designs are extremely colourful and eye catching, and the textures on the stages look fantastic. You guys must have a massive budget already, I mean, holy crap. Spiffing work, chaps.

On a side note, the voice of Mr. Televisor reminds me of Hatty Hattington from BattleBlock Theater. Can't wait for more news on this.

SM Sola

Smash Cadet
Just a quick update for today; we've gone through and polished a few of our stages. Heres the updated Televisor's Stage, subject to change - more updates to come!

I can't praise this project enough, dudes. The artwork is incredible, the character designs are extremely colourful and eye catching, and the textures on the stages look fantastic. You guys must have a massive budget already, I mean, holy crap. Spiffing work, chaps.

On a side note, the voice of Mr. Televisor reminds me of Hatty Hattington from BattleBlock Theater. Can't wait for more news on this.
Thanks a lot for the encouragement! Knowing people appreciate our work is super motivating for us.
On a side note, I'd like to say we have a massive budget but I've been eating Mi Goreng for a week straight :') It's absolutely worth working on this project though!

Last edited:

RagnorokX

Smash Cadet
Looks very promising, can't wait! Also, the character with the wrench hammers face kinda looks oddly derpy.

Last edited:

SM Sola

Smash Cadet
What? Actual activity on this thread? Preposterous!
Yep, we're back! We've been developing non-stop, and have made a whole bunch of progress that we're not quite ready to show off/announce yet! As for Mays face, well, she's definitely a work in progress ;)

For an update that we can show off; here's an update to our Character Select screen!

RagnorokX

Smash Cadet
I really like mr. televisor, cello and astra, and empurr. Metorias's model looks really polished.

Top Bottom