• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dillon's -Ultimate- Western: Dead Heat Smash!

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
If there's one thing I learned from being a Ridley fan, is to keep expectations low and eventually you might get the surprise you've been waiting for! Anywho, updating the OP with any new supporters and adding a tab for pictures!

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
Honesty, I would just be happy for any series to get playable represention but if Dillon gets his time to shine in Ultimate, well, I would just be absolutely ecstatic about it:joyful:! So, please, add me to that supporter list!

Last edited:

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
I haven't played a single Dillon game but his design alone makes me appreciate the idea of him in Smash. So, I'd be all for him joining.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Count me in as a supporter. Dillon has a great design and he can differentiate from Sonic. He is also another Assist Trophy that I am vouching for a roster spot.

Staarih

Smash Master

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Dillon's Dead Heat Breakers producer wishes for more people to play the game and also mentions he wants to do an RPG game with Dillon as well. An interesting route to take, but I'll take any new Dillon game any day haha! And it's also really reassuring to see plans for Dillon in the future... though it all seems to depend on how well the games sell and how well the knowledge of Dillon spreads into bigger audiences. Hopefully Dillon and his games achieve the success they deserve!
OMG YES! If they make a Rolling Western RPG that would be great!

---

Source Gaming did an RTC on DIllon

Spoiler, 20%. But that's a 1/5 chance when in the world of statistics isn't that bad

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You guys read that interview? It really sounds like the game bombed. Which is unfortunate, I'd love to see the series continue, and Dillon's chances for Smash increase, but it really isn't that surprising given the ecosystem of the 3ds, especially the eShop (where Dead-Heat Breakers apparently didn't even chart).

Honestly I don't know why Nintendo should be surprised given the dearth of attention they gave this title, plus the state of the platform they relegated it to, but not often will you hear anyone at Nintendo say "please give this game a try".

Good luck...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm not surprised about that, I haven't actually bought the game either yet. I would just want to see that RPG made. An RPG would probably be more appealing to a broader audience. Even for the Genre Dillon is in, it's a little different than the norm. It probably only attracts a very niche audience

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm not surprised about that, I haven't actually bought the game either yet. I would just want to see that RPG made. An RPG would probably be more appealing to a broader audience. Even for the Genre Dillon is in, it's a little different than the norm. It probably only attracts a very niche audience
Yes perhaps, but had the released it on Switch instead I guarantee it'd see peak series sales. Releasing a game like Dillon on the 3DS at this point is basically a death sentence for the title's success. Even bigger IPs struggle on the platform now... it no longer has a viable install base for anything except the top IPs and niche yet well-catered-to markets, like the JRPG crowd.

I mean I would've snatched this game up had it come to the Switch, but I'm not big on the 3DS anymore.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
In all fairness, I think this was a matter of the game starting development before the Switch was a thing, according to Tanabe at least. So I guess by the time they were aware of the Switch, the development may have been too far gone, or the game itself just couldn't be easily ported over. I don't think that it was Nintendo forcing them to make it for 3DS at least.

It kind of bums me out how it seems that the game didn't seem to do well, unsurprising as it is. I can tell that the team really loves Dillon, and want to see the series continue. And I can see why, because I really think they made something unique with the series. And I do really hope that they end up making that Dillon RPG, that would work really well with what they've established. I just hope that they can give Dillon at least one chance on the Switch.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Do you think pulling a Smash promotion stunt would help the series? They did it before, particularly with Roy and Corrin for their respective games, with Roy's case even managing to bring the series over to other parts of the world entirely (this along with Marth's help of course). Smash is big, if Dillon gets a playable role here, more people will become aware of the series and maybe become more willing to give the series an actual try. It'll certainly be bigger advertisement than the series has ever gotten at this point I think. I know I'd certainly love to have Dillon in Smash Bros, and I do think putting him in Smash will get the series to sell better (at least somewhat).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Bit of a divergence from the topic, but I want to talk about my "first impression" philosophy with Dillon as an example.

Before I talk about Dillon, let me explain what I mean by "first impression". Basically it's the situation where you have no context behind something, so you rely on examining details at face value. While that may sound shallow the way I worded it, in reality it can help people accept and even approve of something despite having no prior exposure. Of course the "first impression" rule is a double edge sword that relies heavily on execution.

Like in the context of the fighters, we already have plenty of examples of this through out the franchise's history. A prime example I personally like to use is Captain Falcon. People did not know who Captain Falcon was many years ago. For a lot of people he was just this random hammy superhero-like guy paired up with iconic characters like Mario and Link. Yet despite the "random" nature of the inclusion, he's still a fan favorite because of that first impression. A fast and aggressive character with a hot blooded personality and flashy moves like the Falcon Punch and knee won people over, all because that was what stuck out with them at first glace. They didn't care about his actual backstory in the F-Zero games, because that wasn't needed.

Now for the sake of Dillon, I can see a similar situation happen based on first impressions. The character has an assortment of flashy attacks. He's got a stoic no non-sense personality. An overall aggressive fighting style (even mentioned in Dillon's Dead-Heat Breakers as being "infamous"). So despite not drawing in raw numbers in polls and such, I can still see him having a positive reception. Because ultimately people like to play as the "cool" characters.

Staarih

Smash Master
I know I'd certainly love to have Dillon in Smash Bros, and I do think putting him in Smash will get the series to sell better (at least somewhat).
Yeah, it definitely would. We've seen this happen with several video game series which have gotten into Smash, it's essentially a major marketing tool whether we realize it or not. I'm fairly certain the sales of Dillon's games and his recognizability would skyrocket if he was included in Smash - honestly, even adding him as an AT last time probably got him a bigger crowd/following than he ever had - so imagine going all the way to playable. I'd love that to happen, but it's quite a big hurdle to get him there, as his games have (sadly) not really made a huge impact or set any sale records on fire... but hopefully there's still a chance.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Saw a fan compiling results of "Smash character likeliness" or whatever and not only did they misrepresent Dillon but they also labeled him as an indie. I don't even?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hpkplNvuf668PP15VLqE9L8Yj1OnjN3saIfV_NJz1_w/htmlview

Essentially they docked him 200 points for "absurdity check" alike other indies on the list but... Dillon is a first-party franchise, and not even limited to the eshop anymore. Like honestly this probably has zero to no basis and it's just pedantic "factual research" but it's kinda ridiculous how they demonstrated the extent to which they probably did almost no research whatsoever beforehand by giving Dillon a negative score, putting him in the same tier as Shrek. This feels to me like something just made to further the author's own agendas, and the criteria is just kinda bull to begin with.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Haven't dropped into this support thread before, but I still really support Dillon!

also that "likeliness" chart is total bunk, lol

Just a thought, but if Dillon does get in, who would you want to be an assist trophy? Personally i'd want Nomad from the last ranger, because his design is just way too cool with that poncho

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Haven't dropped into this support thread before, but I still really support Dillon!

also that "likeliness" chart is total bunk, lol

Just a thought, but if Dillon does get in, who would you want to be an assist trophy? Personally i'd want Nomad from the last ranger, because his design is just way too cool with that poncho
Can't argue with that. I like Boone and Gallo just fine, but Nomad is just way too cool. For some reason I have this feeling that Sakurai would choose Gallo if Dillon got in though, seeing as Gallo is the first ranger that you meet in the game.

Speaking of which, I find it disappointing how the rangers don't show up at all in Dead Heat Breakers. They don't even get a mention. They were all pretty cool, so I hope that they show up again if we get another Dillon game.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think Gallo would make the most sense.

If that RPG ever comes into fruition somehow, I'd bet Gallo and them would return.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Saw a fan compiling results of "Smash character likeliness" or whatever and not only did they misrepresent Dillon but they also labeled him as an indie. I don't even?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hpkplNvuf668PP15VLqE9L8Yj1OnjN3saIfV_NJz1_w/htmlview

Essentially they docked him 200 points for "absurdity check" alike other indies on the list but... Dillon is a first-party franchise, and not even limited to the eshop anymore. Like honestly this probably has zero to no basis and it's just pedantic "factual research" but it's kinda ridiculous how they demonstrated the extent to which they probably did almost no research whatsoever beforehand by giving Dillon a negative score, putting him in the same tier as Shrek. This feels to me like something just made to further the author's own agendas, and the criteria is just kinda bull to begin with.
So basically Dillon is compared to the likes of Goku and Shrek? That makes absolutely zero sense. He should be at the very minimum C or D.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

You can tell this was made by a /v/ degenerate because somehow Viridi and Ashley are so high up.

I've lurked there for years, and a common occurrence is people obsessing over "lolis".

T!t!

Smash Cadet
So tomorrow would be a new chance to see Dillon in Smash Ultimate. I still believe that he will be in some sort in the game, probably as an assist trophy but maybe he could be like this more niche-pick of a newcomer. Are u guys getting your hopes up? I have to say that I keep my expectations low since I don't really expect a newcomer I'm interested in. Still there remains the chance of Dillon getting shown which could get me excited.

When the direct got announced, I wasn't getting hyped at all because of any possible newcomers. The more I think about it, I would actually like to see the faces if Dillon were playable. I already enjoy to be honest that there seems to be a bit more support (like putting Dillon stuff in signatures and so on here on Smashboards) than at pre-Sm4sh times. So apparently his inclusion as an assist trophy at least somewhat gave him a small boost.

btw this chart is busted. Dillon and Shadow were both at least already present as an assist trophy in the game, so they should easily be on the same level as Isaac. (and I'm not even a Shadow supporter, but they were basically already in the game so they are way more likely than Chorus Kids)

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
I'm hoping for the best and prepared for the worst. My years of investing in Ridley has absolutely honed my expectation-fu when it comes to supporting a character. Even if Dillon ends up getting confirmed as an AT, that won't dissuade me from continuing to support him. Things are tough in the ol' west, so we just keep rollin'!

And I'm not even gonna give that chart the time of day since it's basically just someone's wishlist in disguise.

slambros

Smash Ace
I'm still holding out hope that Dillon can manage playable status, but I think it might be less likely. We've been given two new unique-moveset characters per direct, starting at E3... if Smash gets shown once a month until the game comes out in December, that's six unique-moveset characters yet to be added, which makes sense given how the roster is already huge. But this isn't to say I don't think Dillon has a chance at all, because after that wave of deconfirmation eluding him, he's definitely got a leg up.

:131:

Last edited:

T!t!

Smash Cadet
Well since Dillon is still on the less-known side of possible characters, I feel like a later reveal could benefit him. He brings some unique charm with his western themed series and I feel like that alone could get people excited despite them not knowing the series that well if at all. Showing him in this Smash direct could have created this "oh nice he is in the game. who else?" feeling and when we're near the end of reveals, I feel like people would care more about his inclusion one way or another because he more and more becomes the possible kind of newcomer that flies under the radar. So his potential for being the surprise inclusion in this Smash title grows.

So far inclusions have basically been strong fan-choices: Ridley and K.Rool on the front, Inkling easily being requested a lot as well. Daisy, Chrom and Dark Samus (looking at what Sakurai said) were also highly requested. So the easier to predict ones are more or less out of the way soon.

To say the least Dillon not getting straight up deconfirmed as a fighter by being an assist trophy does keep the hopes alive.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
It's nice to know that Dillon is still in the running, though I do feel less confident about his chances. It seems the ballot has had quite the influence, and as such, his role as an Assist Trophy last game might be working as a detriment against him. I watched that direct with a feeling of dread, and was terrified for a second when I saw the burrowing (thank gosh it turned out to just be Knuckles).

Still, I feel he still retains a decent chance, particularly with the Switch being a hybrid system and this SSB lacking a more handheld oriented character amongst it's additions. It also seems we're getting more heavy weight characters this time, to which I feel Dillon would certainly fit more on that line of the weight chart. Furthermore, in the event that he is not included as either playable or an Assist Trophy by the release of the game, that still leaves him open for DLC so his continued absence is a blessing.

Drakonix

Smash Cadet
Can I please be put on Dillon's support thread. Always thought his character design was cool and played a bit of his games. Think he would make a great addition to Smash Ultimate!

D

Deleted member

I haven't played his games yet, but I am interested. His assist trophy hasn't been shown for Ultimate yet. Which probably means nothing but it could get you thinking.

I'd like to be added to the list of supporters please.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I haven't played a single Dillon game but his design alone makes me appreciate the idea of him in Smash. So, I'd be all for him joining.
I agree. If they had made a Dillon game for the switch, Id already own it.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm sick and tired of people saying that Dillon should be an echo of Sonic. He can't.

Drakonix

Smash Cadet
I'm sick and tired of people saying that Dillon should be an echo of Sonic. He can't.
Yes, cause rolling around = Sonic clone right!? Absolutely not and I wholeheartedly agree with you. Dillon is one of my dream picks. Love his design and feel like he would fit perfectly in this game. Wish that his games made it to a console instead of being stuck on the 3DS.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Yeah! They put the effort in to update him instead of just scrapping him. I'm glad he's still around.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Sorry to hear that he is an Assist. He had an interesting design and a great potential moveset.

Top Bottom