• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dillon's -Ultimate- Western: Dead Heat Smash!

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I'm not sure how well it's going to do. It's a full price game and Nintendo has made the baffling decision to make it eShop only in America, which, I feel like is a death sentence. I hope for the best but, time will tell.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
I want Dillon. One of my top 5s, actually.
Hope they port the three eventually to switch w new features to escalate the tier of the series

slambros

Smash Ace
I'm not sure how well it's going to do. It's a full price game and Nintendo has made the baffling decision to make it eShop only in America, which, I feel like is a death sentence. I hope for the best but, time will tell.
I'd bet dollars to doughnuts they made that decision for the purpose of gauging interest in the series.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Never played one of his games, but I like his design and the whole western aesthetic, and being in Smash might help his series level up into the big leagues.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
1 is a proof of concept. It’s unpolished compared to 2 and the framerate is dreadful. Playing 1 at its release was fine but after playing 2 there’s no reason to go back. 2 is basically just a more polished 1 but with some expanded mechanics, better performance, and an actually pretty involved and fun story. 3 looks to be incredibly different, already plays very different from the first two, and that’s fun and dandy.

Last edited:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
1 is a proof of concept. It’s unpolished compared to 2 and the framerate is dreadful. Playing 1 at its release was fine but after playing 2 there’s no reason to go back. 2 is basically just a more polished 1 but with some expanded mechanics, better performance, and an actually pretty involved and fun story. 3 looks to be incredibly different, already plays very different from the first two, and that’s fun and dandy.
well now I really can't wait

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Disappointing NoA is not making a physical release. First Rhythm Heaven Mega Mix and now this.

I'm assuming NoA is a lot more skittish about bringing games over and want to cut costs.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Dead Heat Breakers is out in NA today! Downloading it atm. I'm curious about what sorts of new things they've added to Dillon's arsenal this time.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Dead Heat Breakers is out in NA today! Downloading it atm. I'm curious about what sorts of new things they've added to Dillon's arsenal this time.
B-B-B-B-BOOOSTO I feel like a badass just breaking through Grocks

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Glad to see Dillon's Dead Heat Breakers getting at least better reviews than the first two games, so the direction is definitely on the right track! Hopefully it'll translate to good sales, I feel like they're pushing the game more than ever though with all the Youtube video ads etc. I'm going to have to invest into the game at a later point, now is just not the best time, but luckily we Europeans get a physical copy so that's what I'll be aiming for.

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
This character is pretty much my second most wanted. He's just so cool. He's basically become my new Chibi-Robo, that lesser known character that would fit into Smash perfectly. I really hope Sakurai can come up with a moveset for him that doesn't clash with Sonic super hard.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Well, it seems that Dillon isn't an Assist Trophy at the moment.

Not a confirmation by any means (he could get Isaac'd), but it could be a good sign.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I don't think they'd pull an Isaac with Dillon; his franchise has a future and had one during Ultimate's development. Honestly? I think Dillon's a bit of an underrated sleeper-pick contender and despite the fact I have yet to play his game, I kind of want him. If nothing else, to have a cowboy in the roster. Plus, it'd about as close as we could get to a playable Goron, so.... yeah.

slambros

Smash Ace
I think his chance is a lot stronger so I'm really holding out hope on this one.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
It doesn't seem like there'll be a lot of recent franchises/debuts with the focus on fan-favorites and bringing everyone back. But if they do still end up having those kinds of newcomers, the slim pickings from last gen definitely give Dillon a leg up.

Staarih

Smash Master
This is going to be a major stretch, but with the introduction of Echo Fighters, how would you feel if Dillon became one based on Sonic?

The two were already compared before, and while Dillon does have differences in guns, ground slams etc, and he doesn't really do homing attacks, he could still share a similar "skeleton" as Sonic (body proportion-wise... though Sonic is kinda lanky tbh), and Sonic does use punches and kicks as well as basic rolling attacks, which could also translate to Dillon. I guess only the up + B and Final Smash wouldn't really fit and would need to be changed + some other minor tweaks here and there.

The best outcome for Dillon would be a unique moveset of course, and I think Echo's might have to be under the same series/franchise anyway, but just food for thought.

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I wouldn't like the Echo. I'd rather he have an original moveset or continue being an Assist Trophy. I want to prove everyone who's said "he's too similar to Sonic, no point" wrong.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
I've been a big fan of the Dillon's Rolling Western series since I played the original, and while I do find his inclusion in Ultimate unlikely given the limited number of newcomers we're gonna get, I'm still gonna support Dillon!

This is going to be a major stretch, but with the introduction of Echo Fighters, how would you feel if Dillon became one based on Sonic?

The two were already compared before, and while Dillon does have differences in guns, ground slams etc, and he doesn't really do homing attacks, he could still share a similar "skeleton" as Sonic (body proportion-wise... though Sonic is kinda lanky tbh), and Sonic does use punches and kicks as well as basic rolling attacks, which could also translate to Dillon. I guess only the up + B and Final Smash wouldn't really fit and would need to be changed + some other minor tweaks here and there.

The best outcome for Dillon would be a unique moveset of course, and I think Echo's might have to be under the same series/franchise anyway, but just food for thought.
Naw. Dillon being an Echo of Sonic just wouldn't work. I wouldn't mind it too much if it were actually feasible, but looking at Sonic's moveset, it really isn't. Dillon's legs aren't nearly as long proportional to his body the way Sonic's are, and Sonic uses his legs extensively in Smash, like in his Up Air, Down Air, Down Smash, etc. These moves couldn't work on Dillon unless they made his legs longer, which would be incredibly jarring. The only moves I can see translating decently from Sonic to Dillon are Sonic's Up Smash, Neutral Air, Down Throw.... and that's kind of it. Not even Sonic's Spin Dash would work well as Dillon's Charge Roll, as Dillon uses his roll as a ramming attack, so having it go through enemies the way the Spin Dash does wouldn't feel right. In any case, Dillon's proportions just wouldn't work for Sonic. Just look at their models:
vhv.png

cc.png

Not only are Dillon's arms much longer compared to his legs, but his entire torso is much longer and wider than Sonic's. Sonic's legs are around the same length as his arms, if not a bit longer, and their noodle-like quality actually does come into play with his moveset, like in his Up Air where he uses them like a pincer, or his Down Smash where he does the splits.

Keep in mind that Echo characters aren't semiclones on the level of Falco, Lucas, or Toon Link. If Dillon were to be an Echo character of Sonic, his skeleton couldn't be "similar," it would have to be identical. Just look at Dark Pit and Lucina. They're almost one-to-one with Pit and Marth, with their animations and attacks. You couldn't do the same with Dillon and Sonic, as doing so would require stretching his limbs in an unnatural way. Not to mention the fact that Sonic has very agile animations to reflect his great speed. Dillon can roll fast sure, but anyone who's played his games know that he's not a very fast runner, and his shell would also keep him from twisting his body the way Sonic does for his movements.

While Sakurai does take liberties with characters occasionally, he still aims to have them be a proper representation of their character in their home series. That's why he was so hesitant on Ridley for the longest time, and when he implemented him in the game he made sure to capture his cruel and brutal nature to make for a good representation of his character. Making Dillon an Echo character would be a huge disservice to his character, as not being able to do any of his basic moves such as a ramming roll and especially not being able to do claw attacks means that you just wouldn't be playing as Dillon. Not to mention how none of Sonic's specials work well for Dillon, other than Sonic's Side Special being charged up in a fashion that could work for Dillon.

I apologize for this incredibly long winded and rambly post, but the "Dillon would/could be a Sonic clone" argument is one that I very much resent, especially since it comes up almost every time Dillon being put in Smash is brought up. I guess I just wanted to dump all my thoughts on it in one go. Sorry 'bout that. If I made an error anywhere in this rant, do let me know, cuz I feel a little lightheaded right now, and I wouldn't be surprised if I overlooked or screwed up on something, haha.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Hey Dillon fans I have some questions about Dead Heat Breakers. I'd like to know what all these glass beads are for. I keep finding them and they haven't come into use at all yet.
Also when an Amiimal Gunner gets knocked down, are they gone forever? It seems like I can never use them again.
It's absolutely frustrating that I cannot find a guide or FAQ on the internet for Dillon's Dead Heat Breakers. Not that I need one to complete this game, but I'd like to know those two things.

Thanks.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Hey Dillon fans I have some questions about Dead Heat Breakers. I'd like to know what all these glass beads are for. I keep finding them and they haven't come into use at all yet.
Also when an Amiimal Gunner gets knocked down, are they gone forever? It seems like I can never use them again.
It's absolutely frustrating that I cannot find a guide or FAQ on the internet for Dillon's Dead Heat Breakers. Not that I need one to complete this game, but I'd like to know those two things.

Thanks.
For the first question, have you met a pelican named Anton yet? I forgot when he's actually available so maybe you have already met him, but just in case, Anton lets you play a little minigame called Anton Ball that you can play three times an in-game day to win clay figures that you can sell for some pocket money. Collecting 10 Glass Beads gives you a free play when you usually have to pay 100G to play.

Unfortunately for your second question, I'm not sure. I've only lost one Amiimal gunner so far, but it certainly does seem like they're gone permanently. That would be pretty weird though, since there are only so many Miis available in any given 3DS. What I've noticed is that the game first takes Miis from your Mii Plaza to turn into Amiimals, and once all of those Miis have been used on your file, they take Miis from your Friend List to turn into Gunners. My best guess is that maybe once the game has gone through all of the Miis on your friend list, it refreshes and then you can use your lost Amiimals again? Definitely not sure about that, just throwing it out there.

On that note though, do you have any provisionally registered friends on your 3DS (Friend Codes that you added but the other person didn't add you back)? Because the game has an issue where if you have any provisionally registered friends, once the game reaches them on your friend list, it will try to add them into the saloon as a gunner, but since there's no Mii attached to the friend card, the game ends up crashing. So if you have any, you should delete them. The game crashing doesn't harm your save file or the system (I experienced that glitch myself so I would know), but it's best to nip the problem in the bud before you encounter it.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Oh thanks fpr the heads up! I haven't had that problem yet.

I haven't met the pelican yet. I'm guessing I'm not far enough in the game? It seems like I'm pretty far. The super weapon is almost complete and I've picked up so many glass beads.

And I've lost three gunners. One of them is a Mii of my best friend so I wanted to know if I could get him back haha!

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Oh thanks fpr the heads up! I haven't had that problem yet.

I haven't met the pelican yet. I'm guessing I'm not far enough in the game? It seems like I'm pretty far. The super weapon is almost complete and I've picked up so many glass beads.

And I've lost three gunners. One of them is a Mii of my best friend so I wanted to know if I could get him back haha!
No prob! Though if you're pretty far then I think you must have just not seen him all this time, cause I recall meeting him pretty early on. Anton is right in front of the gates of the city. So, exit the hotel, take a right and go all the way to the end of the road, and Anton should be there.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Oh! I never bothered to check there. All the stores and arcade and stuff are located away from all of that.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just remembered I was the owner of one of the previous Dillon for Smash threads and I haven't come by to show my support

And give an icon

Dillon.gif

I come bearing gifts

Edit:

DillonRedo.gif

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
The moment I first saw a trailer of the original game back in 2011, I thought man, that guy looks like he's designed to be in Smash! I still believe that to today of course. Definitely supporting!

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
So I was just trying to sort out my top 10 most wanted characters list for one of the threads on here, and as I was going through it and taking off previously announced characters such as Little Mac in SSB4 and recently Ridley in SSBU, I realised something... Dillon's rolled his way up as my 2nd most wanted character. I remember he was only around the 6th marker the time leading up to SSB4, so I guess I've grown to appreciate him even more.

So I figured I'd come to this group and just shout, "I'm a Dillon supporter as well! Here's hoping!" I really do think he has a strong chance of getting in this game, even with a limited newcomer count. He hails from a new IP, one still going strong with new entries, and one could even say can represent the newcomer from the handheld side of things (parallel to Splatoon's Inkling being the new series from the consoles). So yeah... I think Dillon's chances are stronger that ever, particularly as far as new series additions to SSB go.

The moment I first saw a trailer of the original game back in 2011, I thought man, that guy looks like he's designed to be in Smash! I still believe that to today of course. Definitely supporting!
Likewise; I started scribbling down a rough move-set based on that first trailer alone. It just felt like Dillon was designed as a character with a future in Smash. Here's hoping that future is now.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Always good to see new support come in! It feels a bit strange to still be in the running over more popular characters but stranger things have happened! Also updated the OP with the new supporters and PsychoIncarnate's cool support icon.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Dillon is getting rerated in the RTC, come show your support.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Dillon has one of the coolest designs of a Nintendo protagonist in recent memory and he can bring some cool things to Smash. I made these for you guys =)

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Dillon is getting rerated in the RTC, come show your support.
Thanks for informing us; it's appreciated!

I have so far been quite surprised at how low folks are rating his chances. Perhaps I am a little biased, being a supporter of his inclusion after all, but I do believe that when it comes to new series representing newcomers that he is currently the most likely (what with Splatoon now represented, as everyone expected). He's a more natural fit compared to other new Nintendo IPs introduced on the 3DS, has multiple games spanning a broader range of time than other IPs on the 3DS, and is continuing to be relevant with new releases including quite recently.

It'd be kind of interesting to know what new series representing IPs people are considering more likely than Dillon at the moment, or even how many new-to-smash representing IPs they expect in a playable role.

Dillon has one of the coolest designs of a Nintendo protagonist in recent memory and he can bring some cool things to Smash. I made these for you guys =)

Wow; that is really neat. Whilst I doubt we'll get up to 86 original move-set characters (that would be a pleasant surprise though), it's terrific to see this all the same. Thank you!

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I have to imagine that Sakurai likes Dillon and his design and moveset a lot. I wasn't expecting him to have an Assist Trophy in Wii U/3DS, but it happened despite Dillon being a fairly new Nintendo character (he also beat out the Pushmo guy and Sakura Samurai for inclusion, who were also original Nintendo IPs on the 3DS eShop).

I think he has a fair chance--maybe not as much as I once thought, given the limited number of new characters, but that we haven't seen his AT yet helps his chances.

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Wow; that is really neat. Whilst I doubt we'll get up to 86 original move-set characters (that would be a pleasant surprise though), it's terrific to see this all the same. Thank you!
Thank you. The 86 number is there just for the looks. I'm going in order following different characters starting from 66 onwards

T!t!

Smash Cadet
have to say: not seeing Dillon at E3 2018 as an assist trophy got me hyped again. I think he'll either return as an assist trophy or even get the little mac treatment and become a playable character. Eitherway would be fine. Don't think Nintendo will this time ignore Dillon completely since he just got kinda "upgraded" from being an eShop hero to having his first retail/fullprice title released (with even easier controls which could help his games please a wider crowd), so I definitely could imagine Nintendo wanting to push his series even more through Smash Ultimate. The thing that probably makes it kinda rough to join the roster is the fact Sakurai told us about having less newcomers due to bringing everyone back. Also classifying "clones" as echo fighters in my opinion almost certainly leads into the situation we get a few more of those in Smash Ultimate as well. Still I stay optimistic.

#DillonforSmashUltimate

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
have to say: not seeing Dillon at E3 2018 as an assist trophy got me hyped again. I think he'll either return as an assist trophy or even get the little mac treatment and become a playable character. Eitherway would be fine. Don't think Nintendo will this time ignore Dillon completely since he just got kinda "upgraded" from being an eShop hero to having his first retail/fullprice title released (with even easier controls which could help his games please a wider crowd), so I definitely could imagine Nintendo wanting to push his series even more through Smash Ultimate. The thing that probably makes it kinda rough to join the roster is the fact Sakurai told us about having less newcomers due to bringing everyone back. Also classifying "clones" as echo fighters in my opinion almost certainly leads into the situation we get a few more of those in Smash Ultimate as well. Still I stay optimistic.

#DillonforSmashUltimate
I'm keeping my expectations low for him being playable myself, since Dillon really doesn't have the popularity that many other candidates have... I feel like if he got in, he would get a lot of backlash from a lot of fans who would consider him a "wasted slot," and I feel like Sakurai would know this... It would be fantastic if he got in though. So I really am hoping that if he doesn't make the cut for playable, that his Assist Trophy will return, featuring him in his Dead Heat Breakers getup (With hopefully some new moves to go with it). Cause lemme tell ya, I was pumped when is Assist Trophy was revealed in Smash 4 because I loved his game, and I didn't think that he would get any representation in Smash at all, so I'm really hoping that he stays in, one way or the other. Worst case scenario for me is for Dillon to get the Isaac treatment in Smash 4 and have his Assist Trophy cut...

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I'm here to give my support. Dillon's cross between a cowboy and an armadillo is a sick design that has stuck with me, and the Switch would be such a great platform to have a good tower defense game on. The series will likely go on even without Dillon being promoted to playable, but it would get more people to become fans of it!

Top Bottom