• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dillon's -Ultimate- Western: Dead Heat Smash!

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
When you're rolling around the badlands and the wild west, you tend to fly under people's radars. So much under that radar that you may not have even realized that a third game in this small Western-based series is coming! But the makings of a potential Smasher are here nonetheless!

Dillon Rolls In!

Dillon, the Red Flash, is the titular character of the Dillon's Rolling Western series. A silent protagonist to a T, Dillon is well-versed in combating the craggy menace called the Grocks. His ability to tear through almost anything by rolling and spinning into things is second to none. But not only that, the armadillo is also just as handy in a brawl with powerful claw swipes and other means of combat!

But Why Dillon?
While other Smash Bros. characters can roll around and ram into foes, nobody can do it as diversely as the Red Flash. Armed with various types of rolling attacks while also not being limited to them, Dillon could bring a new brand of roll-out archetype to Smash. The games themselves are an interesting twisting mix of tower defense and action, usually the central task of the game is defending a town or train from enemies attacking them. These elements could even lend some extra potential as well.

Let's not forget the Dillon's Dead-Heat Breakers just came out!

Pros:

• He's already jumped into the Smash Bros. limelight thanks to his Assist Trophy in Smash 4, Sakurai knows he exists and was cool enough to earn a role.
  • The 3rd entry in the series just came out!
  • Multiple games in the series means more things to draw on for move-set potential.
Cons:
  • Rolling Western isn't exactly a well-known series, not to mention it's an eShop exclusive series at that until Dead Heat Breakers.
  • Some casual gamers may just see him as a Sonic knock-off.
  • With Ultimate having less focus on newcomers and the Smash Ballot being used, Sakurai could simply pick other characters that did better on the ballot.
Move-set Arsenal Potential
Dillon can employ several different types of rolling attacks including:
Roll Attack: His standard attack method, rolling into enemies.
Charge Attack: A charged-up, stronger roll attack that packs a punch and also sends out a shock wave upon impact.
Grind Attack: A multi-hitting attack that uses Dillon's spike on his back to tear into foes. (He also uses this to mine ores in-game)
Drift Attack: A half circle drifting strike that can plow through multiple enemies
Tunnel Attack: A sneak attack performed by burrowing underground and spring up beneath enemies to launch them.
Super Roll and Charge: Super-powered versions of his roll and charge attack. The Super Charge can go through multiple enemies at once.

Besides rolling, Dillon can also employ other types of attacks such as:
Claw swipes: Aerial swipes often combined with his rolling attacks as follow-ups. He can use multiple swings to bounce off enemies and to the next.
Arma-Mode/Arma-Charge: Collecting enough energy or crystals lets Dillon activate this mode where he briefly becomes invincible and his attacks before much stronger. This enable him to use the Super Roll and Charge.

In addition to all of that, Dillon can also wield items:
Dynamite: While not an actual combat item, this sticks of explosives can be used to bring down rocks to create barricades.
Bomb Crystals/Wonder Bombs: Used as your standard fare explosive attack. Wonder Bombs are a stronger version.
Freeze Crystals: Can immobilize foes for a time.
Speed Crystals: These speed up Dillon, naturally.
Home Crystals: Allow Dillon to return to home-base.
Shield Crystals: Gives a protective shield, although Dillon can only use these on trains in his games.
+ New to Dead-Heat Breakers, Dillon's equipped with some kind of boosters! From what we've seen thus far, they power-up of his rolling capabilities even further! On top of that he can even wear them as gauntlets to unleash powerful earth-shaking punches!
+ New to Dead-Heat Breakers, in addition to his boosters, Dillon also can use things called 'Ultra Chips' that plug into his belt buckle to power himself up. One example of such power-up being ultra-charging his boost-powered rolls to annihilate boss Grocks!

Support Icon (By PsychoIncarnate)

Ultimate Mock-ups by Isaac: Venus Adept

Stock Icon Mock-Ups (By PsychoIncarnate)

So are you down for a Western style showdown? Show your support!
Angelglory
CrusherMania1592
NuzTheMonkey
Aussie the Shinobi
Freduardo
Crap-Zapper
Sabrewulf238
zack4812
NATGamer
Inawordyes
SunnyDust
totokekedile
ThatShadowLink
MrReyes96
Wonks
HenryZusa
PrinceGal3n
Yomi's Biggest Fan
pupNapoleon
smashkirby
SEGAGameboy
PsychoIncarnate
Dragoncharystary
Souldin
ZTurtle
ThoughtfulWanderer
HypnoMaster372
Cetus
BravadoMan_13
King Sonn DeDeDoo
Drakonix
psb123

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Dillon is one of those that has a chance with an unique play style. Western type of moveset would further separate him as an unique gimmick

Supporting!

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Was hoping for someone to make a Dillon topic. Took way too long.

Anyways, I support. Now if only his new game get a Western release.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Love the first game. Support.

Is the third game going to be on switch or 3ds?

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
With the new game up on the horizon, and some really cool moves that could translate, plus his active role as an AT in SSB4. I think this will be the first time I want to lend my support!

slambros

Smash Ace
They could've easily forgotten the character and his series, and yet they persisted to make a third game. If that doesn't bode well, I don't know what does. Dillon would perfectly represent the eShop as a whole.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Thankfully the 3rd game is getting released everywhere, I'll need to update the opening post when I get the chance.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I wouldn't mind Dillon being playable. He's got a look to him that really pops, it says "I should be playable in Smash!". :p

I can't say I'm that interested in the games he comes from though, I'm really not a fan of tower defence style games.

zack4812

Smash Apprentice
He would be a great addition. Always a huge fan of his games and since the newest one is releasing to the west, that should help his chances even more.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
There we go, updated the main post with relevant info. Pondering putting together an actual moveset, can probably do that during the week. Always nice to see more support come in for the Red Flash

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Sign me up for support. I really enjoyed the first game and the new one coming out looks really fun. Also, his HD model in Smash 4 is amazing, made me wish he was playable

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Dillon's in my Top 3 most-wanted characters, and now that he has a new game coming, he has more relevance than ever in tandem with the development period for a Smash game.

SunnyDust

Smash Journeyman
Man, I remember when Dillon was revealed as an assist trophy for Smash 4. He was the only character I actually wanted to join, and seeing him in HD with so much details, I admit my first thought was that he had been announced as a playable character. I wasn't mad when I learned that wasn't the case, though, because while it was a shame to not have him be playable, it was nice to see him at least get some sort of representation...

I still support him! He just has such an appealing design and all sort of abilities that could make for a great moveset. Plus, as many as noted before, he could act as a representative of Nintendo downloadable titles…

But realistically speaking, I'd be damn surprised if Dillon did make it in the end. He is still relevant, of course, with a new game coming out later this year, but that seems to be all he has going for him right now… It doesn't look like he has much support and his games are neither popular nor particularly well received… (His next game will be retail though, so maybe I’m completely wrong and his games have been selling like crazy all this time!)

So, um… yeah. Just add me to that support list fam.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I've always loved the first game ever since I got it free from Club Nintendo back in the day, and I really would like to see him in smash.

As I don't think he'll get in this game specifically, I'd be pleasantly surprised.

totokekedile

Smash Rookie
Definitely add me for support. I made Dillon themed stages in Sm4sh and potential movesets for him. I was rooting for him in Sm4sh and I'll root for him now.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I can’t think of a better rep for the eshop than dillon

Hopefully he makes the jump from assist trophy to playable

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Dillon has an amazing design and between rolling, slashing, and setting up tower defenses, his moveset would be incredible. Not that he's a slouch, but I'd love to see his strength compare with Sonic's speed. Easily in my top 10 most wanted.

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
I've been supporting Dillon since Smash 4 development.
He got in as an assist trophy, if I recall correctly, because he may not have been popular enough to be playable. (I'm not entirely sure about this last part, correct me if I'm wrong).

So I hope this time he makes it.
He is definitely a character I can see happening, and that I would really love to see.
I just hope he gets a more original moveset than Sonic.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai decided on having an eShop rep alongside the obligatory Retro rep and Hardware reps, and Dillon seems like a good choice for that.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
The new game's retail in Japan though isn't it? I'd say that increases Dillon's odds.

EDIT: Looks like the US is the ONLY region not getting a physical release. Ouch.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I support. I would be all about having this cool dillo crushing the competition. Too cool of a potential fighter to pass.

And by the way, I have a Smash server all about supporting underrated characters like Dillon. You can join if you want.

https://discord.gg/TchgMQt

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I am all for Dillon making it up from AT status to playable.

I wonder why though, I've never actually played his games.

His design is just very appealing to me, and that's coming from someone who despises the setting (though not stories) of a western.

StormC

Smash Hero
I’ve never played his games, but his striking character design + potential for a cool tower-based moveset puts him pretty high on my list. Consider me a supporter.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Dillon is being rated today in RTC, come on by.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The situation regarding to Dillon's games disappoints me because I can easily see the appeal of the games and the titular character. I have played both Dillon's Rolling Western and Dillon's Rolling Westen: The Last Ranger. The thing I love about the games is that it's very satisfying to perfect each stage, as the game actively encourages you to memorize where everything is and act accordingly. I also like the setting putting an emphasis on a western setting. But Nintendo themselves don't treat the games as a priority, possibly due to the critical reception.

I would not be surprised if the gap between games and the drastic changes done to Dillon's Dead Heat Breakers was done as a response to the criticisms.

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm hoping Dead Heat Breakers will sell well. The timing is right for Japan at least, it being released just before Golden Week. And the latest video/ad for it (this one) keeps gaining views (over 700k already) which to me was somewhat surprising as the first Dead Heat Breakers videos didn't really gather views. While the sales of the new game won't affect Smash Switch, I think good sales would bode well for Dillon's future.

I'll be contributing in May when Dead Heat Breakers releases in the west!

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
helllllllllllllll yeah

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Never played the first one, but I have played Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger. Also, add me to the supporters.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Welcoming the new support!

On top of that, there's a new trailer and a demo out! I haven't had the chance to play it yet, but from GameXplain's video, it looks awesome! The OP's been updated to detail some of the new stuff.

Staarih

Smash Master
The demo looks great, I’m super excited for this game, even if I still think it should have been on the Switch... oh well.

Sadly its release in Japan was pretty lackluster, it barely broke into the top 50 of its weeks best selling games. Hopefully western sales will help at least a bit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom