• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dig it! Muddy Mole for Smash Switch!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
is that a spirit battle? he might have some kind of immunity to it
Yep. Muddy Mole ended up being one of Galeem's many victims, and you can encounter him relatively early in WoL (depending on where you're going) or come across him at random via the Spirit Board.

This being said, it looks like his soul was forced to possess a Puppet Fighter clone of Donkey Kong. During his Spirit battle, Pitfalls occasionally show up, and it looks like while DK-Muddy is immune to them, you won't be.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
You know something that could make the "literally whos" of Smash more palatable for a base game? Bringing back the Dojo. When you've got a big one, a Geno, a Waluigi, an Isaac, you bring out the trailers - but when you're dealing with the quote-unquote quote-unquote quote-unquote quote-unquote x76 "bottom of the barrel", surprise drop 'em with a simple Dojo page.

Trailers are really a huge problem for fans of obscurer characters, since there's no possible way of making people wait for a trailer for a character they've never heard of appealing, no matter how memeable the trailer is or cool the moveset is - the closest I could think of is sharing a trailer with a more popular character like Kencineroar.

now I'm wondering, who could Muddy possibly share a trailer with? Prince of Sable would make sense given their games share engines, but he's only slightly more popular than Muddy so that probably wouldn't draw up hype. Another possible one would be Papyrus given his love for puzzles. Sharing a trailer with Solaire would be funny, given Muddy fights the sun.

If Muddy were to share a trailer, I could see him having an Isabelle moment where the character barely anyone wanted is the crowdpleaser, I mean he's a tiny mole who suplexes giant steel balls, he fits the "smol yet powerful" mould people have taken a liking to lately pretty well.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You know something that could make the "literally whos" of Smash more palatable for a base game? Bringing back the Dojo. When you've got a big one, a Geno, a Waluigi, an Isaac, you bring out the trailers - but when you're dealing with the quote-unquote quote-unquote quote-unquote quote-unquote x76 "bottom of the barrel", surprise drop 'em with a simple Dojo page.

Trailers are really a huge problem for fans of obscurer characters, since there's no possible way of making people wait for a trailer for a character they've never heard of appealing, no matter how memeable the trailer is or cool the moveset is - the closest I could think of is sharing a trailer with a more popular character like Kencineroar.

now I'm wondering, who could Muddy possibly share a trailer with? Prince of Sable would make sense given their games share engines, but he's only slightly more popular than Muddy so that probably wouldn't draw up hype. Another possible one would be Papyrus given his love for puzzles. Sharing a trailer with Solaire would be funny, given Muddy fights the sun.

If Muddy were to share a trailer, I could see him having an Isabelle moment where the character barely anyone wanted is the crowdpleaser, I mean he's a tiny mole who suplexes giant steel balls, he fits the "smol yet powerful" mould people have taken a liking to lately pretty well.
You give me a dual Muddy Mole-Prince Sable trailer, that right there is the best Smash reveal ever for me, hands down.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I've been interested in entering game dev for a while now, and I've always had this idea that if Sakurai asked me if he could use one of my characters, I'd just be like "Nah, put in Muddy Mole instead." I know I'd be hated within both the fandoms of SSB and whatever game I end up making, but it's be 100 percent worth it just to make a long time dream of mine true.

EDIT: Min Min's place on the mural got me thinking about where Muddy's could be, and since he's a tough guy, how about he step in to protect Wario and Dedede from Incineroar, Min Min and the Pokemon Trainer?

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Might be a pope dream, but Famicom Detective Club and Advance Wars both getting brought back from the death with new remakes gives me an ounce of hope for our favorite mole.
I've always said the Link's Awakening remake should've came with Frog for Whom the Bell Tolls and Mole Mania remakes as (IIRC) they shared an engine with Link's Awakening - that would've justified the $60 price I feel.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
The trailer begins with a variant of the "Rivals" animation, this time showing the obscure 1st parties from across Smash's history: Ness, Captain Falcon, the ICs, Marth and Roy, Mr. G&W, Pit, ROB, Lucas, and finally Shulk - before the TV turns off

As usual, it cuts to DK snoring - the DK trio are lounging about with Banjo and Kazooie in the mix, Banjo is sleeping with his titular instrument hanging off his arm, whereas Kazooie is the only one fully concious, playing an original Game Boy with a poppy tune coming out.

Suddenly, a steel ball rolls through the treehouse and explodes! The trio rush not to the window, but rather a small mousehole created by the explosion, making it bigger with each character to join.

It then cuts to a strange silhouette standing small among the savannah grasses, the camera zooms down instead of up. It's not a particularly recognisable character, bearing a scarf and glasses at the very least.

Skeptical already, a drowsy DK reaches out to pull at the seeming imposter's head - nothing comes out, but instead DK pulls a near-sighted rodent out of the shadows, who just shrugs with an awkward face

MUDDY MOLE makes himself known!

the boys just squint their eyes in confusion while Kazooie goes wild, stomping and screaming to the point of ecstatic tears

A remix of the peppy tune from earlier plays as it cuts to gameplay.

The CGI portion of the trailer shows plumber-suit Wario getting knocked through multiple walls of Hyrule Castle, creating Wario-shaped holes that send it crashing down - Muddy watches on in the distance before a giant cabbage falls next to him which he pushes to release a dazed Pichu with Groucho Marx glasses. Muddy does a little pose which gets its own celebratory splash screen like Banjo's, albeit with only Kazooie there, and it cuts to an end screen

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Mole Mania

As a post-credits gameplay scene, three Muddies are performing a team combo on Ness, referencing the third strongest moles in EarthBound.
I've made a lot of Muddy trailers, but this is my favourite so far.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
So, I've been thinking about Muddy's potential playstyle and - instead of making a moveset, I decided to make a list of traits and tools. In short, he's a grappler (grab user) who's slow but tricky to hit - by or with - and has a few traps/projectiles unconventional of but working with the archetype.

• Muddy is a very small fighter. If Pikachu's ears were part of his hurtbox instead of his tail, you'd get a rough frame for Muddy.
  • Muddy dashes on all fours, reducing his hurtbox size. However, he walks faster than he dashes, his walk being about the speed of Sonic's walk but his dash is more like Duck Hunt's walk. Overall, he's actually quite slow.
  • Muddy is very heavy for his size - his knockback weight could be considered close to Ridley's. Muddy is quite the fast faller, close to Greninja's speed but with a middling gravity. His air movement speed however, is quite slow.
  • Muddy is a grappler - his throws are unique in that they can be charged for a longer distance like a Smash attack, all throws being kill moves, however this should be used very cautiously as his foes can preemtpively choose their DI at any point while Muddy is charging a throw.
  • One of Muddy's special moves is his down B trap: the hole. Digging a hole functions a lot like the pitfall item - however, much like Isabelle's down B there is a visual indiactor. The hole buries foes - even on soft platforms they'll be burried as if there were a hard platform there. Muddy can grab foes out of a hole he's made.
  • Muddy's projecile is neutral B: Black Ball. A big, chargeable projectile as big as Muddy himself. It deals a lot of damage but can rarely kill, instead the foe is knocked towards Muddy allowing him to get them even closer. The black ball passes through opponents but is quite slow even when fully charged. If used in the air, it'll be fully charged automatically and fall diagonally before rolling horizontally when reaching the ground.
  • Muddy cannot crawl, but he digs underground while peeking up for his crouch. This is the smallest crouch hurtbox for a character in general so it's important for Muddy to use - however, he doesn't have any kind of down tilt and, upon using Down B, is forced into standing - so it's quite risky.
  • For his normals and remaining specials Muddy is very strong but with very bad range. He isn't as elastic as the electric mice, so combined with his stubby rodent claws it's a recipe for disaster. His main saving grace range-wise is that his Smash attacks turn him buff, but it's really more cosmetic if anything and barely adds any range.
  • His Up B, which is similar to Wario's corkscrew, can add a lot of damage due to being a multi-hit but is Dr. Mario-tier pitiful for recovering - however, it doesn't leave Muddy helpless and is over quickly so offensively it's quite good.
Couldn't think of anything for side B

Last edited:
Top Bottom