• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Difficulty doing BAir Intentionally

KuroKitt10

Smash Journeyman
I think it's safe to say that BAir is pretty important for Inklings' game, but I've been having difficulty doing it on command; sadly, it seems more often than not I BAir unintentionally, and FAir or NAir when I try to intentionally BAir. I see other players pull it out all the time in videos - especially as an approach - so I was wondering if there's some trick(s) to doing it consistently I should be practicing. If It matters: I currently use the Pro Controller, with left trigger for jump, and right stick for tilts.

Any and all advice appreciated!

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I think it's safe to say that BAir is pretty important for Inklings' game, but I've been having difficulty doing it on command; sadly, it seems more often than not I BAir unintentionally, and FAir or NAir when I try to intentionally BAir. I see other players pull it out all the time in videos - especially as an approach - so I was wondering if there's some trick(s) to doing it consistently I should be practicing. If It matters: I currently use the Pro Controller, with left trigger for jump, and right stick for tilts.

Any and all advice appreciated!
We may need a little more context. Are you trying to RAR/IRAR it? Or are you talking about just a normal bair? Short hopped, Fast Fall, etc?

KuroKitt10

Smash Journeyman
We may need a little more context. Are you trying to RAR/IRAR it? Or are you talking about just a normal bair? Short hopped, Fast Fall, etc?
Mostly RAR/IRAR, yeah - basically as an approach tool; however, I also just find it difficult to control the direction my character is facing in general. I wasn't sure exactly what techniques other Inkling's are using when I see them tossing BAirs all the time, and thought I'd ask in case there's some easy tricks or methods or habits that would help.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Mostly RAR/IRAR, yeah - basically as an approach tool; however, I also just find it difficult to control the direction my character is facing in general. I wasn't sure exactly what techniques other Inkling's are using when I see them tossing BAirs all the time, and thought I'd ask in case there's some easy tricks or methods or habits that would help.
So this answer will be a little long winded.
I want to preface it with this:
http://shoryuken.com/2015/04/28/eye...od-of-conditioning-for-fighting-game-players/

In this article, the point I want to bring up is that high level players in games like Street Fighter, tend to focus their eyes in the middle of the screen. Their peripheral vision allows them to watch the opponent.

It's a little different in Smash, since Smash is more of a platformer fighting crossover. You can read suggestions here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.re...ompetitive_smashers_when_youre_playing_smash/

Basically, you want your eyes on your opponent, like 90% of the time. This means you have to have very good situational awareness of your character and knowing when you are facing which direction.

That being said, there are some tricks to throwing out bairs, regardless of the direction you are facing.

When your back is facing the opponent input these controls:

Retreating bair:
Left stick away from opponent > cstick towards opponent > jump

Approaching bair:
Left stick toward opponent > cstick toward opponent > jump

Remember, that all of this has to be done within about 2 frames, so you are almost pressing everything at the same time. Once the bair comes out, you can adjust your horizontal spacing with left stick. Keep it towards the opponent to follow up with combos. Move it away from your opponent to allow a safe bair on their shield, etc.

When you are facing your opponent:

Retreating bair:
Left stick away from opponent > cstick away from opponent > jump

Left stick away from opponent > cstick towards opponent > jump

Approaching bair:
Left stick toward opponent > left stick away from opponent > left stick towards the opponent > cstick towards opponent > jump

Left stick toward opponent > left stick away from opponent > cstick towards opponent > jump > left stick towards opponent

I'm not really good at the retreating bairs, so those inputs may not be 100% correct. You'll need to spend some time in training mode practicing each one. Try to get 20 in a row of each type.

I'll confirm these inputs when I get home today and update if they are different.

Last edited:

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
The incorrect inputs are in red. The correct ones are in green.

I'll say that there needs to be a slight delay between your last left stick input and before your cstick/jump input for when you are facing your opponent. You'll gain more aerial momentum this way. If you do the inputs too close together, you'll get a fair instead.

The 2 frame is only between the cstick and jump.

Last edited:
Top Bottom