• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Difficult (?) main recommendation needed

Decarb

Smash Rookie
Hello, I am a newcomer to competitive smash. Right now, my mains I am thinking of are: Zelda :ultzelda:, Link :ultlink:, Robin :ultrobin:, and Ike :ultike:.

However, I noticed that these characters are mostly one-two hit characters (?). They don't go deep into combos, they zone, and they have attacks that are rather slower and stronger. I think they are difficult to play in their own way. However, I feel like my hands are going to get somewhat rusty and won't be able to play faster characters like ZSS. So, I want a recommendation of characters that are faster and require me to use my hands quickly.

Perhaps I am wrong, maybe I am going to need very fast hands with the mains that I currently have. Any opinion or ideas will be greatly appreciated :)

KingOfKazoos

Smash Cadet
If you want a character that you need to have fast inputs for then probably :ultzss:, :ultsheik: and :ultdiddy:. Perhaps maybe even :ultlucina: too??

If you want technical difficulty then look no further than :ultpacman: and :ultmegaman:.

I'm not exactly that good at the game rn so I guess take this with a grain of salt and wait for someone better to answer

Decarb

Smash Rookie
Any opinion is valid for me right now. Thank you for the reply c:
From your recommendations, ZSS:ultzss:, Sheik:ultsheik:, and Lucina:ultlucina: do seem very favorable for my needs. I'll definitely consider them.
Again, thanks.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
I’d choose Marth over Lucina, even though learning both is good for certain matchups. The benefit of Marth is that he has a tipper, making his spacing stronger than Lucina’s and thus he can kill much earlier. As his sword has both a sweetspot and a sourspot, Marth can string together more moves on an opponent than Lucina normally would at higher percents, as her sword’s hitbox causes the same knockback throughout it.

It’s your call, but Marth in my opinion is much easier to learn than Sheik, Diddy, and ZSS.

Last edited:

Decarb

Smash Rookie
Ah okay, when the game comes out, I will try them both and see my preferences. Thank you for the reply :)

HeavenWolfHD

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavenWolfHD
3DS FC
5155-4164-9910
Just try everyone at least once to see who you like and then play more of these characters.
You can also watch some gameplay of the characters (Smash Ultimate or Smash 4) to get an idea what they can do

Decarb

Smash Rookie
I actually played smash 4 quite a lot actually (as a casual [also, I can't play anymore since my 3DS got stolen]). So, I do understand how every character works on a basic level. Though, I will start watching more professional gameplay and character guides to understand how the characters work competitively as you have mentioned. Thank you!

Crystanium

Smash Hero
As it has been said, try out Diddy Kong, Lucina, Sheik, or Zero Suit Samus. I would say that Sheik and Zero Suit Samus are pretty technical. You can't just pick them up and think things will go smoothly compared to a character like Mario, who is also good and decent in speed.

Decarb

Smash Rookie
Thank you! I will definitely try out Lucina :ultlucina:, Sheik :ultsheik:, and ZSS:ultzss: then :) They seem great for my needs (a difficult, technical, and fast character) from what you all are telling me. I think I might skip on Diddy King (I don't like him that much). I do adore Lucina, Sheik, and Samus quite a lot though.
Again, thank you :) I am starting to notice that the smash community is much nicer than the other gaming communities that I am used to already

I just found out that there is a reply be utton :/

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. λ

Banned via Warnings
R.O.B. has nice Gyro combo's and his difficult Gyro Cancel (as opposed to the easy one) combined with Wavebouncing and such techniques require pretty fast inputs.

Decarb

Smash Rookie
R.O.B. has nice Gyro combo's and his difficult Gyro Cancel (as opposed to the easy one) combined with Wavebouncing and such techniques require pretty fast inputs.
I see. That's quite interesting, never really researched into R.O.B. Although, I do feel that he isn't perfect for what I am asking. I am not as much of an expert as you on ROB, but I think a lot of his gameplay comes from his projectile games and he lacks in speed compared to ZSS. He's not much of a rushdown character. So, I might not main R.O.B. However, your description of him sounds very interesting, I will definitely look into him (although I may not main him).

I made a mistake though, I guess I worded my request in a confusing manner. I wasn't really looking for characters that have some fast inputs, but fast in general, a rushdown character. So my bad :(

But who knows? Researching into R.O.B. may interest me (he has fascinated me before many times) and I might start playing R.O.B.

Anyways, thank you for replying :)

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
ZSS and sheik are good options, but for easier (but still fast characters) give the star fox reps a try. I found falco quick, but decently powerful and VERY easy to use. Orrrrrrrr play 5-10 vs CP matches with everyone, narrow down the list from 74 to 20 that you liked/felt good with and play more matches. Then take that 20 down to 10 on who you feel comfortable with and think "yeah, I can rock this character" and play MORE vs matches. THEN take that 10 and make it down to 5 that make you say "I can eat people for lunch with this character". That is what I usually do with these games ^_^ Voila...you have your mains/strike team.

Dr. λ

Banned via Warnings
I see. That's quite interesting, never really researched into R.O.B. Although, I do feel that he isn't perfect for what I am asking. I am not as much of an expert as you on ROB, but I think a lot of his gameplay comes from his projectile games and he lacks in speed compared to ZSS. He's not much of a rushdown character. So, I might not main R.O.B. However, your description of him sounds very interesting, I will definitely look into him (although I may not main him).

I made a mistake though, I guess I worded my request in a confusing manner. I wasn't really looking for characters that have some fast inputs, but fast in general, a rushdown character. So my bad :(

But who knows? Researching into R.O.B. may interest me (he has fascinated me before many times) and I might start playing R.O.B.

Anyways, thank you for replying :)
Sounds indeed like R.O.B. is not for you. Most other suggestions in this thread seem to be good though but to add to that:
- Captain Falcon is good at rushdown and has the fastest running speed after Sonic.
- Fox has fast attacks, fast running speed, and is a fastfaller thus making him seem fast in general. He also plays like a rushdown character.

Decarb

Smash Rookie
ZSS and sheik are good options, but for easier (but still fast characters) give the star fox reps a try. I found falco quick, but decently powerful and VERY easy to use. Orrrrrrrr play 5-10 vs CP matches with everyone, narrow down the list from 74 to 20 that you liked/felt good with and play more matches. Then take that 20 down to 10 on who you feel comfortable with and think "yeah, I can rock this character" and play MORE vs matches. THEN take that 10 and make it down to 5 that make you say "I can eat people for lunch with this character". That is what I usually do with these games ^_^ Voila...you have your mains/strike team.
Ah okay, seems like a long process but worth it in the end. I definitely will try doing that as I unlock different characters on Smash Ultimate. Thank you :)

Sounds indeed like R.O.B. is not for you. Most other suggestions in this thread seem to be good though but to add to that:
- Captain Falcon is good at rushdown and has the fastest running speed after Sonic.
- Fox has fast attacks, fast running speed, and is a fastfaller thus making him seem fast in general. He also plays like a rushdown character.
Ah thank you. I didn't consider Captain Falcon (for some reason), I will see which one I want to play then. Thank you for opening up more options to choose from :)

Xphooni

Smash Apprentice
Hello, I am a newcomer to competitive smash. Right now, my mains I am thinking of are: Zelda :ultzelda:, Link :ultlink:, Robin :ultrobin:, and Ike :ultike:.

However, I noticed that these characters are mostly one-two hit characters (?). They don't go deep into combos, they zone, and they have attacks that are rather slower and stronger. I think they are difficult to play in their own way. However, I feel like my hands are going to get somewhat rusty and won't be able to play faster characters like ZSS. So, I want a recommendation of characters that are faster and require me to use my hands quickly.

Perhaps I am wrong, maybe I am going to need very fast hands with the mains that I currently have. Any opinion or ideas will be greatly appreciated :)
Just play every character as you unlock them figure out who works best for you in this game. I have a tendency to switch mains in every game based on who works for me. Try to keep an open mind.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I wouldn't bother learning fast characters to practice having fast hands. I feel it will just be a waste of time when you could be having fun in the way you want, learning how each character works across the board, or practicing your mains. Every character requires certain skills and I don't think fast hands really has any priority over other skills that need to be practiced.

Decarb

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't bother learning fast characters to practice having fast hands. I feel it will just be a waste of time when you could be having fun in the way you want, learning how each character works across the board, or practicing your mains. Every character requires certain skills and I don't think fast hands really has any priority over other skills that need to be practiced.
Thank you so much for this reply. Holy crap. I guess I never thought of it that way. Now that you mention it, I never really saw the value in the characters I like to play and always thought fast, difficult meant better. I think I will focus on trying to improve in what I already like and used to and value it more.

My head isn't working well I can't express myself clearly but I am really thankful for your comment haha. Again, thank you so much :D

Xphooni

Smash Apprentice
Thank you so much for this reply. Holy crap. I guess I never thought of it that way. Now that you mention it, I never really saw the value in the characters I like to play and always thought fast, difficult meant better. I think I will focus on trying to improve in what I already like and used to and value it more.

My head isn't working well I can't express myself clearly but I am really thankful for your comment haha. Again, thank you so much :D
Also take in to consideration that almost all of you mains have been buffed in some major way.

Veggi

Smash Champion

No problem. Like for example, with Shiek, you may learn to play quickly but won't learn spacing as well as some other characters. With Donkey Kong, he doesn't have rapid-fire moves but he arguably teaches more about the "disadvantage state" than any other character because he has such a hard time getting out of bad situations so you have to pay more attention to what you're doing. Peach, Diddy, and Link teach item control. Also fast doesn't necessarily mean difficult as well. Mario in Smash 4 is played very quickly and has some of the best frame data in the game but is less technical than a slower character like Peach or Ryu. Similar, even characters without much going on are difficult to play because they need someone who can play to their strengths or minimize the effects of their disadvantages.

Last edited:

Dr. λ

Banned via Warnings
Peach, Diddy, and Link teach item control.
R.O.B. also does this very well. In addition R.O.B. teaches stage control due to his Gyro traps. And he teaches the Poke & Punish playstyle which is a low risk/low reward playstyle for people who like consistent play that is resistant to spikes of luck.

Another thing you could try is just picking a really bad character so that you will always be at an disadvantage which will make the game harder in general.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
If you want to go down in the gutter and main a low tier, Luigi and Bowser got nerfed pretty hard this game (especially Luigi) and aren't looking too good. If you want fast inputs, try Zero Suit, Shiek, or Marth/one of his 3 clones. If you want a superheavy, King K. Rool, King Dedede, and Donkey Kong you can try out.

Top Bottom