• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Different ways on fighting D3 with ROB?

Raffi815

Smash Cadet
Does your overall play style with R.O.B. change when you are up against against a D3? What do you do in this match up exactly? Do you camp and play patiently or do you go all out? I've been dealing with this match up a lot and I haven't been too successful overall. It would be great to hear from someone who at least knows the match up quite a bit.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Yeah play super campy, going all out on him will get you grabbed.

Play the ledge when you have to, plank him if hes close, he can easily punish you when you try to get up.

edit: oh and pumping jab while hes CGing you is a good option, interrupts it if he messes up a bit, and knocks him away, if you sidedoge he can dash attack to kill you.

TheMike

Smash Lord
Do not approach. Camp. Do not go off stage(DDD > ROB off stage on this MU). And avoid being above platforms at high %. You'll have a hard time to get a kill, so try to use less Bair, Nair and Fsmash.

If you think you're really good at camping, Final Destination is sounds good. On the other hand, DDD's CG will be longer. For the latter, Smashville's nifty as a neutral.

Sudai

Stuff here
I'm really good at camping. I picked FD. I also ledge camped. ROB is at an advantage in that position -if- he doesn't need to get back on the stage. So stay away from that in tourneys with a ledge count limit. CG isn't bad, just get to the side of a stage -every- chance you get and keep camping. I <3 FD and Siege against DDD. Seige sounds weird (I know I stole it from someone on smashboards though) but it really works in this MU.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I stay offstage almost all the time and if I'm not I'm spacing Fairs and Bairs.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Halberd is good because you can shark Uairs and lasers.

Not delfino tho, because of the walk offs and wall infinites.

also if Distant Planet is legal ban it, its an easy walk off for him.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Does your overall play style with R.O.B. change when you are up against against a D3? What do you do in this match up exactly? Do you camp and play patiently or do you go all out? I've been dealing with this match up a lot and I haven't been too successful overall. It would be great to hear from someone who at least knows the match up quite a bit.
Yes, my play style changes pretty drastically vs King Dedede if for one reason. He's very difficult to KO.
Because of this I focus on just building a wall of offense on him with Gyros, Lasers, and Tilts. When he gets close I Jab to try to get the hit in before his Grab (which he is always looking to do).
When he has enough damage a F-Tilt or similar attack maybe a Forward or backwards Throw will get him off the stage and I focus on Gimping more than KO'ing.

Camping is so contrasting to my usual gameplay but I can keep a distance on Dedede well enough and I don't feel the need to go offensive like usual, so it's all good. Usually the opponent will CP Final Destination so they can get more Grabs in the chain on you and can live longer, but if you focus on keeping a distance and Gimping you can turn the Stage to your advantage.

Hope this helped, and good luck.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
To answer your question, yes, I change up my fighting scheme. What I do is bair a LOT more. Camping is your best option (if you want to win that is), but you can run and shoot as well. But rather than stay grounded, I try to stay in SH range but on stage, if it makes sense. Bair spaces well if he tried to chase, and you can always reverse gyro/laser/fsmash/nair to mix it up. Bair doesn't get me kills in this MU, so I rely on Nair and Fsmash.

Depending on the DDD (The best one I played was coney and he said I knew the MU pretty well), when they CG you (you can't run forever, so yes I said when), notice what they do when you get to the ledge. Do they finish with a dtilt? Or a fthrow? Depending on how they go about their rove, depends on you action as well. If they dtilt, you may wanna recover high. If they fthrow you, expect a WoP DDD Bair style and counter by recovering below the stage. This is what I do when I fight DDD. But a hit and run approach is your best bet if you plan to use ROB.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I change My fighting style using ROB vs like almost every character. I fight Olimar, MK, DDD, Wario, Falco, ROB (LOL dittos fail), Pit, Snake, Marth, etc all differently

I never feel like ROB can play the same vs a lot of characters.

vs DDD.

Camp him. mix up u'r Gyro charges and laser angles. Short hopping the Gyro can help (shield poking)

Use Ftilt and Bair cautiously. U dont wanna get grabbed out of them

U can also use Bair to intercept his UpB

The best way to get damage on him is to get him offstage, intercept his jumps with fairs, and then intercept his upB with Bairs.

Camp under a platform so that u'r projectiles can block his.

Play between him and ur gyro when ur gyro is on the ground so that u wont get chaingrabbed all the way.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Yes, I camp more. I usually pick BF or JJ in this matchup. And I always have a fully charged gyro in the stage, so the gyro scarifies King Dedede and interups his chaingrab. King Dedede is a nightmare to fight, he lives forever, and stale killing moves are fail. I'm trying to kill him at 200%, and there he just kills me at 100%! LoL.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Japes is normally banned

Having a fully charged gyro on the stage is ridiculously hard, and even if so, who cares. He can still get some dthrows to bthrow.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
DDD and MK are ROBs only real counters...if you're gonna stick with it then just play gay as possible and hope for the best

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
It isn't unwinnable, not a 100-0 matchup at all. However, it's very difficult.

I pick Falco against King Dedede sometimes.

And Diddy against Meta Knight.
70:30 at the highest levels of play is pretty much considered unwinnable.

Glad you pick Falco vs DDD though, cause ROB ain't doing it :]

TheMike

Smash Lord
70:30 at the highest levels of play is pretty much considered unwinnable.
You must call 70-30 100-0. 70-30 means the following from Praxis' guide to matchup ratios:

70-30
Something about the character in the advantage completely shuts down
the other character. Counterpicking is heavily recommended -
or rely on them not knowing the matchup and you knowing it incredibly well.

And it's winnable.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
You must call 70-30 100-0. 70-30 means the following from Praxis' guide to matchup ratios:

70-30
Something about the character in the advantage completely shuts down
the other character. Counterpicking is heavily recommended -
or rely on them not knowing the matchup and you knowing it incredibly well.

And it's winnable.
Lol, keep telling yourself that :]

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Japes is normally banned

Having a fully charged gyro on the stage is ridiculously hard, and even if so, who cares. He can still get some dthrows to bthrow.
No, it's not. The first thing I do when I start the fight is to charge the gyro, it's that simple, regardless matchup. I think that King Dedede's matchup is 65-35 in his favour. I mean, 30-70 is impossible, then MK has 65-35, and it's R.O.B.'s hardest matchup... LoL. Top 4 list on R.O.B.'s worst matchups IMO:

Meta Knight (duh).
Mr. Game and Watch.
Zero Suit Samus.
King Dedede.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
No, it's not. The first thing I do when I start the fight is to charge the gyro, it's that simple, regardless matchup. I think that King Dedede's matchup is 65-35 in his favour. I mean, 30-70 is impossible, then MK has 65-35, and it's R.O.B.'s hardest matchup... LoL. Top 4 list on R.O.B.'s worst matchups IMO:

Meta Knight (duh).
Mr. Game and Watch.
Zero Suit Samus.
King Dedede.
GnW was hard for ROB in 08. Not nearly as bad anymore.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Who said DDD was an awful MU for ROB two years ago?

*raises hand*

Who got told "Lol camp!'

*raises other hand*

Apparently, i was far ahead of my time.

Also... DDD is smelly.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I don't believe it's hopeless, but I do believe it can be difficult.

What I particularly do in this MU is first of all, choose a wide stage like, as mentioned before, FD.
D3 is usually content with wide stages so I don't think you'll have a problem choosing one as a CP or striking to a comfortable Neutral.

Throughout the match, D3 will of course be baiting for grabs and as well be expecting you to think the same. He knows you are going to be skiddish about the grab, it's a given. A buttload of easy damage sucks beeps, but I don't believe it should hinder our playstyle entirely. What I prefer to do is always have my "back turned" to the shorter end of the stage when possible. That way, if I am grabbed, not much profit will be given for our error. But I don't believe we should be as pansy-fied as it is led that we should. What I enjoy doing is playing an in-and-out game with D3.

One inside approach I use is a SH > airdodge inside of D3 where I end up behind him, immediately upon landing, I dish out a d-smash.
A second approach I like to use is when the D3 has a tendency of playing his air game and switching in between back airs and neutral B's. In this situation, I'm really trying to bait his neutral b by looking vulnerable to it, but then running underneath D3 and catch him with a pivot grab. Also, if you choose not to go under, but stay a decent distance away to where you know you will be sucked, but can react, then prepare a f-smash to punish or even spot dodge through him and deliver a d-smash.
Like told over and over again, if you get inside without much of an option, jabbing is a pretty hopeful way out. It doesn't always work, but it's definitely worth a shot if escaping doesn't seem like an option.
Like D3 and his tendency to throw out moves in the air in order to get us to approach (because he seems vulnerable) I really like throwing out safe, but seemingly punishable nairs that might just cause the D3 to approach, and as we all should know, if performed right, we can auto cancel the nair into w/e we please. I like jabs in that situation.
Also, if the shield of D3 is low just enough to see some of his fat body poking out, if you are bold enough to enter the lair where D3's gloves dwell, then I say try out a falling up air on him. And if it connects, you have a good chance of following up with an up-tilt, maybe 2.

Last thing, like someone else also said, D3 offstage > R.O.B. offstage. But it still doesn't mean we can't try things out in that realm. D3's like going for that bair stage spike a lot if you look vulnerable enough. So what I try to do is bait a whiffed bair from D3 so I can jump up and give him a bair of my own. Nothing wrong with experimenting.

It is a tough MU, but I feel the only way out is to try new things. Even if the numbers are against us.

I hope this helps in any way.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
One inside approach I use is a SH > airdodge inside of D3 where I end up behind him, immediately upon landing, I dish out a d-smash.
DDD will grab you on reaction to that, or if in kill %, Downsmash or Uptilt.

If DDD likes to hide in his shield alot, try grabbing him, thats what Chibo does to me, I still **** him though :]

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
He's really not trolling one bit lol

If anyone knows anything about the ROB DDD matchup, it's Vex and I.

Top Bottom