• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Different Colors for Each Outfit

Do you want more outfits or colors?

• 8 is Good

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • More Outfits

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • More Colors

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Custom Colored Outfits

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
I'd like Sakurai flesh out the outfits and colors for each character in Smash Ultimate. We know that what we've seen so far isn't final as Ridley wasn't playable with his Meta Ridley skin, so at this point anything is possible.

I'd like to see a lot more characters have different outfits. There's so much potential. Examples include:
  • Mario - Just look at Super Mario Odyssey. Plenty to choose from there.
  • Link - Breath of the Wild also has plenty of outfits to choose from.
  • Inklings - A plethora of choices for this character as well.
  • Samus - Power Suit, Varia Suit, Gravity Suit, Phazon Suit, Light Suit, Dark Suit, Fusion Suit, etc.
  • Zero Suit Samus - A lot less to work with here, but at least get the Zero Suit and "Justin Bailey."
  • Fox - For characters like Fox you could just make different outfits based off each of their iterations. Starfox 64, Starfox Adventures, Starfox Assault, etc.
  • Ness - Normal, PJs, Robo Ness
  • Peach - Dress, Mario Kart Outfit, Tennis Outfit, etc.
  • Young Link - Link wearing the non-transformation masks from Majora's Mask / Ocarina of Time.
  • Toon Link - I never played Tri-Force heroes, but I believe this game has a lot of different outifts.
  • Snake - Another character with plenty of source material.
  • Mega Man - I think I'd be fine with just lots of different colors, but maybe like an X-styled suit.

What I'd also like to see, though, is to be able to choose different colors for each outfit, like for Wario's two outfits. So, basically, have the outfit and the color be two separate options. This way, two people can play as the same character in the same outfit but a different color. For example, Link has his classic Tunic as one of his skins, but it appears to only come in green. So you should have the option to pick either the Champion's Tunic or the Tunic of the Wild and then select the color. A way I would suggest would be to use "X" and "Y" to cycle through the colors and "L" and "R" to cycle through the outfits. (That's few enough buttons that it would still work with a single joy-con.)

Now to go a bit further. What I'd really like to see is for them to replace the custom characters with custom looks instead of custom moves. For example, if you were to make a custom Mario you could choose the color for each element of his outfit (Hat, Shirt, Overalls, Shoes). For DK you could choose his fur color, skin color and tie color.

How about you guys? Are you fine with the 8 different colors / skins for each character? Or would you like to see it expanded in some way?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I hope we get loads more outfits for each character. Particularly the Zelda gang has loads of different looks that they could pull from.

I’m also a bit annoyed that some of the recolors got lost. Mario has the builder (awesome) and wedding outfits, but he didn't have his Fire Mario staple in the demo. He also lost his Jumpman in 4 and his Wario recolor (but kept Waluigi...?)

I also am wondering about how Ridley has 8 recolors, but we know the meta is coming. So does he have a ninth? Or will it replace one (please no, the black recolor is awesome)

I’d totally buy DLC costume packs for things like Link’s TP default or Magic Armor or Sumo Pants and Zelda’s TP gown, BotW gown, BotW prayer dress, etc...

It’d be funny if they just came out and announced 10-player smash and filled out the rest of the outfits there. Two octolings as inkling alts, bring back Mario’s fire and jumpman outfits, and we’re good.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I think at the very least having a full set of 8 per "costume" wouldn't be asking for too much. (bar :ultbowserjr: given the thematic palette swaps)

Was really sad that in 4, :4olimar::4wario: lost half of their palette "slots" in order to maintain an even split for :4alph::4wario2: (4 for each) while :4wiremac: got its own set of 8.

Hoping :4myfriends:/:ultike: will not be in the same boat, and that :ultridley: doesn't have Meta Ridley replace any of his already confirmed alts.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I would like to see the different styles of adult Link, for well adult like with unique alts them selfs

For example, Main alt BoTw Champions tunic, Wild tunic, two other things. TP, Hero tunic, Zora armour, magic armor sumo, Ranch clothes, Green red and blue tunics, Dark link, Oni Link, Casual SS link and green tunic

Last edited:

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
My dream reality would be to at least see 16 alts for every character: 2 completely different costumes, with 8 palette swaps for each costume. So basically what Link has going on currently with the Champion's Tunic and the Tunic of the Wild (for example), except with 4 more colors for both variants. Of course I would love to see more than that, but you know.

What I hope at least though is for Yoshi to get all the available Yoshi colors at long last. We've already had green, red, blue, yellow, cyan, pink, and Smash 4 purple and black as well, but I would love to have orange, white, and even the long-forgotten brown Yoshi colors. Bonus points if we get a Yarn Yoshi alternate costume with each of these colors available as well to tie in with my above point, except with all the Yoshi colors, this would give Yoshi a grand total of 22 costumes. Or 20 if they still ditch the brown color. Even if they just have all Yoshi colors available without the yarn alternates though, I'd still be super happy to just have the complete set of regular Yoshi colors.

Even outside of Yoshi though, I'd like to see a lot more than just the necessary 8 per character. This stuff has always been a huge missed oppertunity for Smash Bros, and with this game being called Ultimate, there's really no reason not to go the ultimate route on costumes as well. I'm kind of hoping that the'll use the little amount of actual newcomers as an excuse to make proper alternates for all the characters. Or at least, most of them.

Sadly I'm still expecting just 8 colors per character though, with only a select few having more, such as Mario (come on, Fire Mario missing is absolutely bonkers, I'm very positive that it's coming back) and Ridley (since the Meta variant wasn't in the demo, though I guess Ridley could also just be this game's special treatment on having more than everyone else, akin to Wario in Brawl and Little Mac in Smash 4).

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
I really hope the 8 color limit in the demo isn't final, that would be really disappointing. It'd be twice in a row that my favorite Ike color would be removed! If that's the case we're stuck with mostly the same colors from 4, and some of those are just trash tbh (DK is the one of the only characters I actually use the default for). I'd be happy if we got more colors, they don't even have to be alternate outfits.

I figure how you can see all the outfits in an array now that they plan on characters having more than 8 colors. It doesn't seem like a much faster method of choosing a color unless there were 12 or 16 or more.

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Nintendo recently got big into the outfit thematic. Triforce heroes, Odyssey and stuff. I wouldn't be surprised to see more costumes to choose from, and I'd love it.

Mario's wedding outfit was a great start, I'd like to see Bowser in it too, and more stuff for other characters...

Jamison

Banned via Warnings
Alternate costumes for characters unlikely to make the roster is a really good thing. Most of us have realistic expectations and don't expect newcomers. But outfits representing other characters from their respective franchises would be great. Marth without blue hair, Ken/Akuma costumes for Ryu, all the outfits characters like Link or Snake have had recently. They could also bring back some old costumes they've removed such as green headband Jigglypuff. If Little Mac can have so many outifts in sm4sh it seems reasonable other characters could have more outfits. Outfits that have been tweaked like Green Jacket Red Boots Fox that existed in 64, Melee and Brawl and were changed to green jacket with green boots for sm4sh could return. There could be two outfits for each color. With extra outfits often focusing on making a yellow costume for each character in sm4sh, there could be two outfits for each color. Especially since characters like Bayo and Ike have two different designs. Every character (except Sonic) has a blue, red, yellow, and green outfit. Each character could maybe have a purple and orange outfit, maybe a light and a dark outfit as well.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Making 7 palette swaps/costumes for more then sixty characters is already a lot of work. Unless we are talking about a simple model swap like Little Mac, I doubt development team has time to add more.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
I’d love a create a color mode. Image the possibilities! I love customizing colors and characters when I can and it’d be a dream come true!

Khao

Smash Lord
Making 7 palette swaps/costumes for more then sixty characters is already a lot of work. Unless we are talking about a simple model swap like Little Mac, I doubt development team has time to add more.
Depends. If they actually make it one of their goals from day 1, it's doable. Most MOBAs for example have a character roster comparable to Ultimate (and some of them go way beyond, like League of Legends which more than doubles Ultimate's roster), yet those characters still have several unique skins with both recolors and separate models.

Now, to be fair, most MOBAs also reached such a ridiculous amount of characters and skins through several updates over a long period of time. But then again, they're not starting from absolute scratch in this game. By using the same development team as the previous game, and most of the same assets, a pretty substantial amount of the work is already done. So if they think something like extra character skins is important enough, they're probably gonna have the time to do it.

Buuuuuuuuuuuut that said, I don't think they're gonna do it. If they had time to create a bunch of brand new skins for every characters, they also would've had time to create brand-new default skins, and most characters are still using the same models as on the Wii U.

...Unless that's exactly why they decided to re-use models, to have more time with alternate skins! Only time will tell, haha.

Zyphyris

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bri-ex
3DS FC
0001-4098-4797
Switch FC
SW-8496-2727-8390
The best way to implement 'proper' costumes like Wedding Mario and Pikachu Libre would probably be through free costume updates. There's a ton of costume potential depending on the characters and I'm honestly surprised they didn't do this in Smash For. I don't think we'll be getting 16 alts per character in the base game, but I think it's very likely some, if not most, characters will have more than 8 swaps. We haven't seen Meta Ridley and that other Inkling Boy alt in the E3 build and I doubt Fire Mario's going down the drain.

On another note, if the whole tagline is "Everyone is here!" it would be a bit weird if the previous incarnations of Link, Zelda, Dorf, and Sheik weren't here as alts. (Even though it would be odd seeing OoT and TP Link using BotW technology.)

Crystanium

Smash Hero
This is the one on the bottom right. I don't believe there will be more palettes for Ridley. I could be wrong, just as anyone else, and if Ridley ends up with his meta form, then I suspect that will just have the same colors as the ones he has now. Eight colors is fine, but as the series goes on, I'm hoping for more. I have a feeling that it doesn't require much memory to make sixteen colors. Alternatively, give players the option to make their own colors like in F-Zero GX.

Top Bottom