• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Differences between Simon and Richter

aleckermit

Smash Cadet
NNID
aleckermit
A video documenting the holy water difference: https://youtu.be/WhkH1SHLXEM
I also tested their holy water against explosive moves of other characters like Samus, Snake, and fire moves like Mario's but saw no difference in how the two holy waters handled them.

EDIT: As someone mentioned on reddit, the two holy waters affect the red pikmin differently. Simon's flame will allow red pikmin to pass through, Richter's flame will wall them out completely.

Last edited:

Shieldlesscap

Smash Apprentice
Hoping so but it seems unlikely. Doesn't take that long to lab these sorts of things.
Maybe, but considering we have such noticeable changes as “FTilt does less knockback”, and “FSmash does more base knockback”, I wouldn’t be surprised if some stuff is subtle enough not to notice for a while.

Or hell, has anyone considered the possibility of some Echoes going in different directions with their balance patches?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Or hell, has anyone considered the possibility of some Echoes going in different directions with their balance patches?
I would like it, but they didn't add more differences to Dark Pit and Lucina when they got rebalanced in 4.

Shieldlesscap

Smash Apprentice
I would like it, but they didn't add more differences to Dark Pit and Lucina when they got rebalanced in 4.
Sure, but I think that it’s more likely due to the fact that Echoes are now their own thing and there’s more attention drawn to them.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sure, but I think that it’s more likely due to the fact that Echoes are now their own thing and there’s more attention drawn to them.
Only attention drawn to them was not giving them their own numbers and (potentially) slots. I doubt this correlates to more changes in the future. Plus, this is the opposite of balancing.

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
I found out that there's an actual gameplay difference between Simon and Richter and it's apparently their properties with their Holy Water. And I'm not talking about the color of their Holy Water flames

Game2018

Banned via Warnings
Apparently, there is one difference between them. Simon's Holy Water cannot hurt Olimar's Red Pikmin, while Richter's can. Similarly, Simon's set off Link's bombs but not Richter's.

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Apparently, there is one difference between them. Simon's Holy Water cannot hurt Olimar's Red Pikmin, while Richter's can. Similarly, Simon's set off Link's bombs but not Richter's.
That's mainly because Simon's Holy Water flames has fire elemental effects whereas Richter's doesn't with his Holy Water flames.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
So pretty much Simon and Richter have the same matchup chart except Simon has a better matchup against all explosives users and Richter has a better matchup against Olimar? Because if so it seems Simon > Richter
Sometimes it could be better to have Richter's holy water against explosives, if you don't want them to explode instantly.

aleckermit

Smash Cadet
NNID
aleckermit
Simon should be chosen against Link, Richter chosen against Olimar. Toon and Young Link are debatable; there are pros to both walling and destroying thrown bombs. Simon does have the small advantage of occasionally making Young/Toon blow themselves up when when hit with holy water and dropping their held bomb.

Last edited:

soyperson

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6207-2383-9806
re: holy water
richter's holy water is technically an aura attack (like lucario's attacks) and not a fire attack, hence why it damages red pikmin

Top Bottom