• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Differences between Melee and PM/+ Marth

CaptainAnime

Smash Apprentice
If anyone could tell me the differences between Marth in Melee and PM/+, I would greatly appreciate it.

I would like it to be detailed as possible, if possible (frame data, launch angles, hitstun, etc)

Links are appreciated too

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Marth himself is not very different between the games. PM Marth's Down-Aerial has less landing lag (SSBM: 32/16 and PM: 24/12), and his UpSmash tipper hitboxes were improved (they were inconsistently poor compared to the rest of his moveset). P+ Marth can hold Up at the end of Dolphin Slash to float for a little longer before beginning his descent, which helps him avoid edgehogs. Nothing else really comes to mind but maybe I missed something.

Regarding engine things that impact Marth:
There are probably very slight differences in throw followups because each game engine calculates throw release points differently (SSBM infamously has differences based on port priority). PM Marth can DACUS and B-reverse his specials. PM's engine also allows air dodging out of IASA frames whereas SSBM's does not. This allows Marth to do things like waveland out of shorthop aerials more easily. It's been a very long time but maybe this enables short hop bair waveland where SSBM didn't allow it. PM doesn't have light-shielding so the classic "marth killer" edgehog strategy is much harder.

Top Bottom