• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Differences Between Dr. Mario and Mario. (Which Italian is better than the other!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm actually debating if I should use Mario or the good Doctor... so would someone mind compiling a list of differences so I don't have to go through this entire thread? Thanks in advance.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I don't even think Vanilla Tornado is gonna be that bad once WiiU drops and we have button remaps + better mashing. I'm serious about this, for the record. I think we'll be able to achieve optimal heights with it.

Folt

Smash Ace
I'm actually debating if I should use Mario or the good Doctor... so would someone mind compiling a list of differences so I don't have to go through this entire thread? Thanks in advance.
F-Smash is more powerful if Dr. Mario gets close. (It's also electric.)
Nair becomes stronger the longer it's out.
Fair is not a spike.
Different Dair.
Neutral Special is pills with their stronger bounce and hitstun.
Side Special doesn't allow the Doc to stall in the air.
Up Special is a single-hit move with power (expecially at the beginning).
Down Special is tornado.
Final Smash is visually different from Mario's.
Overall slower in all movement aspects except falling speed.
Doesn't jump as high as Mario.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, but the Doc's moves also tend to be stronger overall (in terms of damage and knockback) but that's pretty obvious, right?

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Be sure to study and play Dr. Mario more defensively as well.

Don't let his poor recovery deceive you, it's more than likely a side-effect of suboptimal button mashing on 3DS and lack of button remaps to alternate between B and Y. I'm sure he'll be a lot better with better controls.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I still prefer him over Mario. I find it easier to kill with him, if you use the tornado along with a wall jump you can really make up for his horrible recovery.

What I'm curious about though, is his cape. Which has a damage multiplier, Mario's or the Doctor's? If they both do, is one better?

Gah777

Smash Lord
Isn't there any frame data, damage/knock back info, and kill % to go off off? We need more hard facts rather than just "I feel" and "Imo".

BSP

Smash Legend

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I don't even think Vanilla Tornado is gonna be that bad once WiiU drops and we have button remaps + better mashing. I'm serious about this, for the record. I think we'll be able to achieve optimal heights with it.
I feel the same about Luigi.

As for F.L.U.D.D. vs Tornado debate... it's a hard call. F.L.U.D.D. is definitely more unique. The problem in comparison is that people can Tornado all day & night long, but Mario's down special is the most difficult one to master and the move that is less used. Someone utilizing F.L.U.D.D. to its highest capability will really give their opponent a rather difficult time not being gimped, or approach Mario on the stage in another way as bait, or set them up for an upcoming move.

I think Mario is the staple mascot of Nintendo and he's an overall balanced and accessible character to play. It couldn't be any other way, but Doc certainly feels stronger and his hits connect better. It's just a matter of taste, really.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Mario is better, he has more options then doc. I wish some of you guys stop being so close-minded
about Mario's FLUDD. The FLUDD is good for many things like spacing, hit-lag, edge guarding and defense.

Now, pound for pound, Doc is stronger then Mario, without question. But Mario has more options.

:pow:

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Mario and Dr.Mario are pretty much the same, but I personally prefer Dr.Mario for is better options to K.O .

Mario has great options to have KOs of course, with good combos, a nice airial game and an awesome way to spike. The Fludd is definitely useful for edge-guarding, his recovery is good, he can reflect projectiles while still having an option to recover even better : Mario has overall all the options to be a great character, except one thing : his power.
Normally, I don't complain about it, but sometimes, Mario has a hard time to K.O. His smash attacks, while still good, can't K.O that fast compare to other characters, and your only real way to K.O someone is by edge guarding. If Mario had an other option to K.O other than grinding damages a lot and edge guarding, he would have been better than Doc.

However, compare to Mario, Doc got great KO abilities. His Fsmash is powerful, his Dsmash is stronger for dealing with rolls thanks to his weird abilities (the hit is stronger behind him), an UpB that can K.O and edge guard near the ledge, Doc has a lot of options to K.O. His tornado, while still being somewhat good to recover and hit, isn't his best move, and is easily outclassed by the tornado of Luigi. And even though his speed and recovery isn't that great, Doc can definitely dominate Mario in a lot of matches.

I prefer Doc, yes. But that doesn't mean Mario is awful, not at all. Mario is a great character, like Dr.Mario. It's just a matter of taste.
You want a balanced character, take :4mario:. You want a strong character, take :4drmario:. It's simple as that.

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
Has anybody figured out how to change Doc's stats with the use of equipment to be closer to Mario's? I know he'd need to be faster and a bit less strong, but how much exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom