• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy's Throw Combo Compendium

ThaQAtaQ

Smash Rookie
Diddy's grab game is essential for racking up damage, establishing stage control and straight up killing your opponent. As pure result of the Banana, Diddy can setup grabs easier (and safer) than any other character in the game. And anyone who plays, or has played against, Diddy is aware that many of his throws setup for true combos.

Here is a list of Diddy's throw combo variations:
  • Up-Throw -> UAIR (HOO-HA!)
  • Up-Throw -> FAIR
  • Up-Throw -> DAIR
  • Up-Throw -> BAIR
  • Up-Throw -> BAIR -> BAIR -> ...
  • Down-Throw -> FAIR
  • Down-Throw -> BAIR
  • Down-Throw -> BAIR -> BAIR -> ... (my favorite)
However, it is not that simple. Many of these combos only work at certain levels of rage and % of opponent. For instance, in many cases, when Diddy's rage reaches over 100%, his Hoo-Ha string fails to connect (the throw is too strong giving your opponent time to dodge).

In addition, it is important to mix up your grab combos to maximize damage output by minimizing move staleness (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wis_25jQeew)

So I am looking for several things:

A) Confirmed kill combos - This needs to be character specific, including Rage/Opponent %

B) Confirmed grab combos (also, when do they STOP combo'ing?)

C) Your general rule of thumb for Rage/Opponent % (because we can't memorize every permutation out there)

I will update the OP as more data is collected.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
this is good. Some more true combos from throws:

fthrow > fair
not sure how useful this is. I once accidentally did fthrow > fair > ftilt on mewtwo at 0% in tournament but the tilt wasnt a true combo. I figure since I managed to get that, it could be a good setup into dtilt on floaties only.

dthrow > dair
good at 0%, better than uthrow > dair

dthrow > side b kick
this is being labbed i think, by some people? not sure, but the damage output from this combo is insane, especially because if u get the side b kick which can true combo at specific percents, it can lead into an aerial (fair/uair)

also worth noting that bthrow does 12%, thats 1% more than uthrow > uair which does 11%. if you're at the ledge at bthrow would throw opponents off stage, then using it can be the better option if u cant get uthrow > fair/bair.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
True Combos
(Note: all of these were done in training mode against a Mario)

Combo, Percentages, Optimal DI

FF Nair:
FF Nair-Uair, 0-94% Away
FF Nair-Fair, 0-88% In
FF Nair-Bair, 0-94% Up
FF Nair-Utilt, 0-20% Up+Away
FF Nair-Ftilt, 0-9% Up
FF Nair-Upsmash, 0-9% Away+Up
FF Nair-Dsmash, 0% Up
FF Nair-Fsmash, 0-5% Up
FF Nair-Rockets, 0-57% Unknown

Uthrow:
Uthrow-U Air, 10-28% None
Uthrow-Uair-Bair, ??????? Away
Uthrow-Bair-Uair, ?????? Up+Away
U throw-Nair, 0-25% None
Uthrow-Fair, 0-80% In
Uthrow-Bair, 0-103% Away
Uthrow-Bair-Bair, 23-38% Away
Uthrow-DJ Uair, 0-123% None
Uthrow-DJ Nair, 0-111% None

Dthrow:
Dthrow-Uair, 0-38% Away
Dthrow-Bair, 0-62% In+Up
Dthrow-Fair, 0-46% In+Up
Dthrow-DJ Uair, 14-117% None
Dthrow-DJ Bair, 0-120% Unknown
Dthrow-DJ Fair, 25-100% Uknown
Dthrow-Monkey Flip Kick-Uair, 0-28% Damage- 27% In
Dthrow-Monkey Flip Kick-Fair, 0-44% Damage- 31%(And it can KO off the side! tho, it's a suicide, WORTH) In
Dthrow-Monkey Flip Kick, 0-64% Damage- 19% In
Dthrow-Dair- 0-20% In/away

Fthrow:
Fthrow-Dash-SH Fair, 0-22% weak hit 17% strong hit 19% Away+down

Dtilt:
Dtilt-Dtilt, 43-88% None
Dtilt-Fair, 124-200% Away
Dtilt-RAR Bair, Unknown
Dtilt-Jab, 36-88% None
Dtilt-Grab, 10-50% None
Dtilt-Dsmash, 80-105% Up+Away
Dtilt-Fsmash, 90-106% Away+Down
Dtilt-Usmash, 107-136% Away+Up
(Note: Dtilt links into Dsmash at most percents.
3 Dtilts, 0-15% None
2 Dtilts, 0-40% None
1 Dtilt, 0-105% None

FF Uair:
FF Uair-Uair, Away
FF Uair-Fair, In
FF Uair-Bair In

Dair:
Dair-Utilt, 40-50% (Strong hit)
Dair-Utilt, 50-90% (Weak hit)
Dair-Uair, 43-81% (Strong hit)
Dair-DJ Uair, 82-94% (Strong hit)
Dair-Uair, 70-128% (Weak hit)
Dair-DJ Uair, 120-160% (Weak hit)
Dair-Usmash, 29-45%
Dair-Fair, 39-80%
Dair-Bair, 38-82%
Dair- Nair, 44-74%
Dair-Uair-Fair, 37-50%
Dair-Uair-Uair, 38-49%

(Note: DI not possible or consequential)
Rockets:
Rockets-Rocket explosion, 24-57%

Banana:
Banana-Jab, any
Banana- Ftilt, any
Banana-Dtilt, any
Banana-Utilt, any
Banana- Usmash, any
Banana-Fsmash, any
Banana-Dsmash, any
Banana-Rocket-Rocket explosion, 24-57%
Banana-Monkey Flip, any
Banana-Monkey Flip Kick, any
Banana-FF Nair-Combo, any
Banana-FF Nair-Rockets, 0-57%

Aerial Banana:
Banana up toss-Uair, any
Banana up toss-Utilt, any
Banana forward toss-Fair, any
Banana toss down-FF Fair, any
Banana toss down-FF Nair, any
Banana toss down-FF Dair, any

I compiled this awhile ago, so it isn't updated for any combos from 2016.

MarshieMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MarshieMan
Uthrow > MFK > Uair/Fair is actually a true combo as well (except on floaties). The inputs are really tight though. However it is a better option than Dthrow > MFK because your opponent can not avoid it with proper DI.

Sonicninja115

Uthrow > MFK > Uair/Fair is actually a true combo as well (except on floaties). The inputs are really tight though. However it is a better option than Dthrow > MFK because your opponent can not avoid it with proper DI.
I got this on my brother the other day. Didn't know it was a true combo though, just misinputed.

MarshieMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MarshieMan
I got this on my brother the other day. Didn't know it was a true combo though, just misinputed.
The timing is extremely tight, but ive gotten the combo counter in training to register it from 0% to around 25% on Mario. Even if you dont get the timing perfect, its still very likely to connect.

If anyone is interested in labbing it further, ive found the best method is to buffer a jump away after the dthrow (no dash before the jump) and immediately flick the analog back towards your opponent and tap B twice. Delay the second B input a tad so that the Kick will actually come out. Unfortunately, nothing but the first jump can be buffered as far as i know, and typically you'll accidentally B-reverse popgun instead of doing MFK.

imo its possibly the most optimal throw combo diddy has. High damage output without the possibility of opponents escaping with proper DI.

Also, here are a few more obscure (and stylish) throw combos:
Interestingly, Dthrow > MFK > Foostool > Dair reset is also possible. It deals more damage, and is slightly more forgiving with the timing than Dthrow > Footstool. It works on less characters though.

Ah, another favorite setup of mine:
JCIT banana Down > Grab > Dthrow > Dair > Nair > Bair x2
If you glide toss the banana down and grab your opponent, it positions you so that the Dair spike will cause your opponent to land on the banana, which will trip them if their percent is low enough for them to not bounce off the ground. This effectively makes Dthrow > Dair > Nair a true combo from around 0%-20%. Most opponents will put up their shield in preparation for the banana toss, catching them off guard when you throw it down instead of at them. This set up works significantly better on larger characters.
Note: These combos arent necessarily optimal. I do go for the banana set up in tournament occasionally, but generally its better to opt for simpler options to prevent wasting a grab.

Note: if you pivot grab with diddy, he can slide a short distance while throwing, which can extend the ranges on Dthrow combos; similarly to how captain falcon and MK can extend their Fthrow combos by dash grabbing. Banana > pivot Grab is possible.

Last edited:

Ethan7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BulbapediaEditor
I am able to get u-throw to footstool at very low percentages, if I time it right.
For example, against Fox, I can just mash jump after an u-throw to get the footstool. I can set the CPU to control and mash A and I can still get the footstool. Against Sheik, I must double jump a bit after the first jump to get the footstool, otherwise Sheik will be able to nair out of it.

I can then fast-fall and do an untechable dair (this is the hard part), and continue the combo. I can then grab again and get more damage. I think it's cool Diddy Kong has a "chain grab".

What do you guys think about this? It looks like MarshieMan MarshieMan already posted something about d-throw to footstool. Did anyone else know about footstool out of throws for Diddy?

Sonicninja115

I am able to get u-throw to footstool at very low percentages, if I time it right.
For example, against Fox, I can just mash jump after an u-throw to get the footstool. I can set the CPU to control and mash A and I can still get the footstool. Against Sheik, I must double jump a bit after the first jump to get the footstool, otherwise Sheik will be able to nair out of it.

I can then fast-fall and do an untechable dair (this is the hard part), and continue the combo. I can then grab again and get more damage. I think it's cool Diddy Kong has a "chain grab".

What do you guys think about this? It looks like MarshieMan MarshieMan already posted something about d-throw to footstool. Did anyone else know about footstool out of throws for Diddy?
It is called the Geo combo. After the guy who found it.

Ethan7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BulbapediaEditor
It is called the Geo combo. After the guy who found it.
Interesting. But how come after I footstool and dair the opponent, they can still use all their getup options? I thought they would be locked or something.

MarshieMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MarshieMan
Interesting. But how come after I footstool and dair the opponent, they can still use all their getup options? I thought they would be locked or something.
Youre probably doing the dair too late.
Try using Dthrow instead of Uthrow for footstool combos.

Dthrow > Footstool > Dair lock is the geo combo. Not a lot of people use it though from what ive seen. Make sure you only tap the jump button for the footstool, so that you dont jump as high.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Make sure to hit with the sourspot. Not the sweetspot.

Ethan7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BulbapediaEditor
Make sure to hit with the sourspot. Not the sweetspot.
Really? Well, I guess I'll try that, but I was sure they could still use all their getup options.

MarshieMan MarshieMan I've been using d-throw too. I'll try the sour-spot.

Last edited:

Ethan7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BulbapediaEditor
Test with d-throw to footstool and the sourspot of dair (it read as 10% damage), but they could still get up. The CPU was set to control.

Why isn't the combo working?

MarshieMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MarshieMan
Test with d-throw to footstool and the sourspot of dair (it read as 10% damage), but they could still get up. The CPU was set to control.

Why isn't the combo working?
Most likely youre too late on the Dair. Make sure you fast fall immediately once you reach the peak of the footstool jump.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
The ge0 combo is dthrow > footstool not uthrow

Ethan7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BulbapediaEditor
Most likely youre too late on the Dair. Make sure you fast fall immediately once you reach the peak of the footstool jump.
I am hitting them with the sour spot, but they can still use any getup option. According to SmashWiki, you must hit them with 25 after hitting the ground, so maybe that is what is going wrong.

ArikadoSD ArikadoSD I've been using d-throw, but u-throw can lead to a footstool as well.

MarshieMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MarshieMan
I am hitting them with the sour spot, but they can still use any getup option. According to SmashWiki, you must hit them with 25 after hitting the ground, so maybe that is what is going wrong.

ArikadoSD ArikadoSD I've been using d-throw, but u-throw can lead to a footstool as well.
You must not have understood me. Im saying you arent hitting them fast enough. This doesnt have to do with the sourspot, you just need to be faster with the inputs so that you get them within the 25 frame window.

smashPony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ponyfloyd

Video example of the timing required.
you should add fthrow upsmash to the list. works on any non-fastfaller between roughly 0-10% on DI away and no DI [never tested DI in]. fthrow upsmash does 21% iirc.

EDIT: IDK HOW TO DELETE THIS MEANT TO REPLY TO THE THREAD.

Last edited:

Ethan7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BulbapediaEditor
I've been testing with d-throw to footstool and could get the lock when trying on Ness like in the video. Must be because he falls slower and thus gives me more time to land dair.

I also did a d-throw (7%) to monkey flip kick (14% hit) to fair (10% hit) on Ness and it registered as a combo and did 31%.

Sonicninja115

I've been testing with d-throw to footstool and could get the lock when trying on Ness like in the video. Must be because he falls slower and thus gives me more time to land dair.

I also did a d-throw (7%) to monkey flip kick (14% hit) to fair (10% hit) on Ness and it registered as a combo and did 31%.
Yep, that's a thing. I have percents somewhere.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I'm co-maining MK+Diddy and I was kind of bored with the Diddy options, so I'm glad I found this topic.
Exactly why DThrow->footstool is better than UThrow->footstool ?
Why Geo combo is not very used in the metagame (only works in Ness ?)
Banana -> FFNair -> Double Bair is really a thing ?
What you guys want me to lab from Diddy's throws? I'd be glad to help.

Zeke78

Smash Rookie
idk how to quote stuff so I'll just post

1. because uthrow footstool isn't a combo
2. because diddy has safe combos he can go for and then reset back to neutral rather than risking messing up and getting punished. furthermore, it can be di'd in multiple parts of the combo that makes it fall apart. some people (pretty much just zinoto) go for it though. you can see him use it in a few sets at CEO i believe.
3. yes
4. idk i don't feel that there's much left to extract. i recently found out that you can fthrow dash attack fair fastfallers who di the fthrow down (or on no di for some), which does 24 or 26 depending if you get 2 or 3 hits of the dash attack. like i said though, i don't think there's much left to figure out beyond what we already know
hope this helps!

Top Bottom