• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy's Dreadful Banana

Aeons_Ahead

Smash Rookie
Hey, it's Æon again! This time, I'm labbing Diddy Kong's banana because boy is it annoying.

Basic Banana Properties:
For those of you who don't know, here's what the banana does on its own
  • The banana can only be thrown twice
  • On the second throw, the banana will disappear when it hits the ground
  • (This is true whether Diddy catches the banana or it lands on the ground)
  • If the banana causes you to trip (you run over it or get hit by it) it will disappear
Lab Results:
From labbing with the banana, I found things that aren't as obvious.
  • You can roll past the banana, but any non-invincible frames that you touch the banana will make you trip
  • If a banana is dropped/thrown on your shield from above, it will bounce once then always make you trip. It straight up goes through shields. (Note that I shifted my shield down as to avoid getting shield poked.) Even if you perfect shield the banana, it will bounce up then ignore any shields on the way down.
  • While you can counter a dropped/thrown banana, you cannot counter a banana on the ground. This does not apply to Witch Time.
  • Getup attacks do not destroy the banana, and you will trip on the banana after getup attack
  • You can avoid tripping on the banana from ledge by jumping, rolling, or dropping from ledge then approaching with a jumping aerial which will grab the banana
  • Diddy can get an early jab-lock setup
  • If you are standing next to a banana, many attacks (jab, some tilts) will instead pick up the banana

What this means for Mac:
  • Mac has a large roll which covers a lot of space but isn't invulnerable for 15 frames (roll takes 27 frames, only invincible frames 4-12). This means that there are 15 frames where Mac can trip on the banana.
  • Dropping from the ledge and approaching with jump->fair can pick up the banana if its at the ledge
  • If you try to destroy the banana with dtilt you may end up picking it up. Ftilt is a better option as it does not pick up the banana. (If you are super close to the banana, utilt may shift your hurtbox into the banana and end up tripping you.)

If you have anything to add, let me know!

Last edited:
Top Bottom