• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Video Thread

BasedGamerAce

Smash Cadet
NNID
BasedGamerAce
Here's a match I had with my friend's ZSS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gTCOvOrYPo

I feel like I did decent this game(this was my first day picking up Diddy as a secondary. My main is Falco). If I knew more about how to kill with Diddy, I felt I would've done better(I just found about dtilt to RAR bair, lol). I also felt that I air-dodged a lot(only because of ZSS being so deadly, I normally don't air-dodge a ton). But any other advice would be helpful! Thanks in advance.

One more thing, at about 3:55 I used a banana trap I've been working on. I don't know if anybody else does this but it seems to cover the get-up options well(if you position yourself and the banana correctly, as well as react to their option). Here I became impatient, but you should get the idea.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Your banana usage could use some work. You're always pulling them out whenever you don't have it and you don't want your opponents to be able to see you have patterns. I see you insta throwing them as well which is solid at times, but i see it missing a lot and you're put in an awkward position where you get punished.

Your grab combos are on point and you're setting up the grabs really well.

Overall, just work on your spacing. I saw a few attacks that were pretty wild (monkey flip kick just praying it would hit) and you got punished for it.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Is constantly pulling bananas a problem if I'm not getting punished for it? Assuming I can make the space to pull one out safely, is it really an issue that it's predictable?

Throwing out side b's is a bad habit I definitely need to get rid of. I do it less than I used to but I still throw it out to approach at a distance where it's just really punishable for sure.

Thanks for the feedback.

Lylo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chompypy
3DS FC
0490-8557-3079
I think your problem is not that you constantly trying to pull out nana (safely). Its that you insta throw it. :)

And I have your same habit of approaching with Side B which is catastrophic. Now I try to use it onstage to catch a roll or spotdodge beside recovery/B reverse cancel

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
It's not about being punished by pulling bananas. IT's about the cost of pulling out the banana. Instead of pulling out the banana you could be pressuring your opponent with aerials and have him respect that part of your game to open him up when they try to air dodge or something. Pulling out bananas is not a bad thing but when you do it the majority of the time your opponent could reset their spacing to be able to combat you a bit better. Sure bananas make your neutral game a lot better but you have make your opponent respect you.

btb

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone! I just made a part 3 of my Diddy Kong highlight reel series.

I really think you guys should check it out, it might have a few tricks to improve your diddy game(I hope!) Feel free to ask questions.

A Diddy Like No Other

W.A.C.

Smash Ace

I really think you guys should check it out, it might have a few tricks to improve your diddy game(I hope!) Feel free to ask questions.

A Diddy Like No Other
While there were some instances where your opponents made some very questionable decisions, a lot of that was pretty hype.

btb

Smash Cadet
While there were some instances where your opponents made some very questionable decisions, a lot of that was pretty hype.
I appreciate it! I actually left a lot of footage out, as it felt like they did nothing to defend for themselves when i rewatched the replays. Some of the players in there are actually really good though, and tried my best to make it look like they tried to fight back etc. None of it was for glory footage, whatever that means to you :p

Lylo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chompypy
3DS FC
0490-8557-3079
You make me wanna train my barrel skills

Good vids!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

A Diddy Like No Other
This was AMAZING to watch!!

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

I am not sure if I am playing this match up right. Any Diddy's wanna give me some guidance?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
what are some good Diddy vs. Fox videos? Been struggling with the MU
Try shooting a peanut before he can Side B back to the stage. D Tilt > U Smash can kill quite early in this MU and vs Pikachu, making them both easier. U Throw + Bair builds the most damage, try and get those combos working against Fox. And don't get jabbed if you can avoid it. I think it's not that bad of a MU.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Analyze please, it seems ZeRo has leveled up again...

MVD

dyr

Smash Rookie
figured i should post my grand finals with ryo here. this was at GatorLAN 2 weeks ago, a Florida regional tournament. i feel like this grand finals has a lot of insight into how much you can really abuse Ike's bad out of shield options.

Last edited:

Lylo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chompypy
3DS FC
0490-8557-3079
I still don't get it why ZeRo kept using Uthrow-Uair at 0%

And dyr dyr : I have watched every of your matches at GatorLAN, was really impressed by your Diddy and your nana control

dyr

Smash Rookie

And dyr dyr : I have watched every of your matches at GatorLAN, was really impressed by your Diddy and your nana control
thanks homie. :) banana control is my biggest strength for sure.

Lylo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chompypy
3DS FC
0490-8557-3079
Oh and I especially loved your match vs Olimar dyr dyr

Very useful video to learn the MU imo

Sonicninja115

I believe it is because it sets up Uthrow-Dair, and it is actually the most guaranteed combo at that percent.

Sonicninja115

he uses uthrow uair at 0% because even the pros make bad decisions sometimes :)
He has used it 10 times now in streamed competitive matches against people like Void. MVD used it at Frame Perfect, I don't see how that is a mistake. He uses it and gets major damage off by following up with another combo that works at that percent.

It is a rather good option after testing it. At 0%, Diddy doesn't have many throw combos that true. Dthrow has Bair and Fair while Uthrow has Bair. After using Uthrow-Uair, he can get a guaranteed Bair-Bair or Dair off of Uthrow, or the perfect percent for New-Haa as well as Dthrow-Bair-Bair. It is also a mix-up. It keeps the opponent guessing as to what he is going to do, and if they get conditioned, he goes in for the major punish.

If this is a mistake, then why did it pop up after a major labbing session? why is MVD using it? Why hasn't he used it since April and is now picking it up again? He must be quite horrid as one of Sm4sh's most optimal players if he picks such a bad combo. There is a very good reason he does this combo, and the more I lab it, the more sense this combo makes.

Edit: Jtails has a lot of videos here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU0gcxKefgK9P4RJHxcKNxg

More ZeRo vids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeR135eb4ts ZeRo vs. Shiek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdeh6bxYMgs ZeRo vs. Yoshi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJsEiH0hZiI ZeRo vs. Shiek

The sets vs Anti are also on that youtube.

The Dtilt-DA-Uair is a true combo, and the banana toss after monkey flip grab allows you to use a second MF.

Last edited:

Orocket

Smash Cadet

Hey guys here's a set from my last tourney. What do you think I can improve on? In the first game I ran into upsmash and the second game I feel like I made some poor monkey flip decisions. Game three I feel was solid, though. Do I not use banana enough?

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Hey guys here's a set from my last tourney. What do you think I can improve on? In the first game I ran into upsmash and the second game I feel like I made some poor monkey flip decisions. Game three I feel was solid, though. Do I not use banana enough?
I will just say what I think while watching the vid.

It looks like it took you a bit to get warmed up in the beginning, but isn't it the same for everyone?

It looked like your banana usage was a bit off. That is something I am trying to get better at too. I am trying to learn the best times to use Banana, as it isn't that obvious when it will work.

You might want to try and learn some movement options. top level players have insane movement capabilities, and Roguepenguin was just out moving you. Your movement was pretty standard, while he was mixing up his movement, allowing him to get into advantageous positions. My movement usually revolves around wave bananas and B-reverse MF. But then there is jumping around, fake extended DD and such. Look at Ryo. He is super scary because of his movement among other things.

Good job on the win! What place did you end up getting?

Swanky_

Smash Cadet

i noticed you like to use u smash to cover neutral standup (which only has une punishable frame i they buffer shield)

does this usually connect into the last hit even if i catch them somewhere in the middle of the animation?

Orocket

Smash Cadet
I will just say what I think while watching the vid.

It looks like it took you a bit to get warmed up in the beginning, but isn't it the same for everyone?

It looked like your banana usage was a bit off. That is something I am trying to get better at too. I am trying to learn the best times to use Banana, as it isn't that obvious when it will work.

You might want to try and learn some movement options. top level players have insane movement capabilities, and Roguepenguin was just out moving you. Your movement was pretty standard, while he was mixing up his movement, allowing him to get into advantageous positions. My movement usually revolves around wave bananas and B-reverse MF. But then there is jumping around, fake extended DD and such. Look at Ryo. He is super scary because of his movement among other things.

Good job on the win! What place did you end up getting?
Thanks I will for sure work on my movement! I feel like I have good spacing, but I get stuck in place quite a bit. And yeah, banana tricks are something I have to work on as well. I got 5th at this tourney.

Orocket

Smash Cadet
i noticed you like to use u smash to cover neutral standup (which only has une punishable frame i they buffer shield)

does this usually connect into the last hit even if i catch them somewhere in the middle of the animation?
It should. I'd have to test that more. I was using upsmash more to cover the jump option as well. I feel like upsmash covers jump and normal get-up well if you place a banana to cover the roll option.

Orocket

Smash Cadet
Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115
Here's some other matches. The one against Sol I feel like I got stuck a lot. But against Ross I feel like my movement was ok. These are kind of old though. I used to have a tiny roll habit lol. I can really see what you are saying after watching these. I have to work on my movement so much. :p

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115
Here's some other matches. The one against Sol I feel like I got stuck a lot. But against Ross I feel like my movement was ok. These are kind of old though. I used to have a tiny roll habit lol. I can really see what you are saying after watching these. I have to work on my movement so much. :p

Great job on beating Sol, plus you got 5th!

Orocket

Smash Cadet
Great job on beating Sol, plus you got 5th!
Thanks! The set with sol and Ross are from a tourney a while ago haha. I got 4th at that one. The tourney where I played against the Mario player was from last week.

Last edited:
Top Bottom