• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Diddy Kong Social Thread

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
This is not the thread to discuss strategic, competitive, or important information about Diddy Kong. If you would like to do any of that or ask any questions about Diddy Kong please use THIS thread instead.

Use this thread to socialize with one another. This thread exists to prevent superfluous/unnecessary threads from being created when you only want to talk about something quick, silly, fun, or simple. Use your own judgement as to what you believe is worth creating a thread over.

Normal discussion thread rules apply here, but there is a bit more leniency on what is considered spam.

Overall, try to keep the discussion somewhat relevant to Smash 4 and, most of all, be nice and have fun!

:diddy:

Last edited:

Get Low

Smash Ace
I've always thought that with a Melee engine, Diddy's Brawl moveset would be beast.
Doubt the new game will be anything like Melee though.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if the Bananas would be nerfed as they're a cornerstone of his gameplay and those things always get nerfed in sequels

Bazooka Joe

Smash Apprentice
With them hopefully taking out the tripping mechanic, they might take away the bananas in the next one. I could see it being replaced with orange grenades from DK64 for an explosive projectile. I like most of his move set for the most part, but I would want to see the cartwheel's hit boxes toned down a little.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
They're likely going to take out random tripping. Making someone trip by using bananas or attacks (from anyone in general) isn't a bad idea.

Bazooka Joe

Smash Apprentice
They're likely going to take out random tripping. Making someone trip by using bananas or attacks (from anyone in general) isn't a bad idea.
I didn't say it was a bad idea, I just think it will be taken out and Diddy will get something new.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Yo, reading the abilities on that site made me want something else for Smash 4: They should make it so that certain preset teams have unique team abilities, like the Kong Roll (DKC Returns) for Diddy and DK and Splash Bros (M&L: Superstar Saga) for the Mario Bros.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Yo, reading the abilities on that site made me want something else for Smash 4: They should make it so that certain preset teams have unique team abilities, like the Kong Roll (DKC Returns) for Diddy and DK and Splash Bros (M&L: Superstar Saga) for the Mario Bros.
OMG i love that idea. and like Bowser and Bowser Jr could hop in the clown copter and do **** or idk theres a lot of possibilities

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So, it's been quiet around here. Does nobody care about Diddy these days now? There's a lot of possibilities still to do with his moveset, and quite a few abilities he has which are not yet seen in his Brawl moveset.

I felt like Diddy would use his tail a lot more in his moveset when I was discussing Diddy's potential moveset pre-Brawl. But I was surpsied to see his only tail move was his extended jab attack, and a rather lame one at that.

Sure it's cool to taunt with, but he could use his tail more such as Mewtwo does in Melee with his U Air for example, or a mix between Mewtwo's and Fox's U Air to with his old animation still from Brawl. Like a two hit combo with both the tail, and the backflip kick. The tail would be weaker than the kick, but it'd add range. Think a 2~3% damage buff to what it already does as an attack.

Down Smash could also have a tail whip-like effect on it, adding range to cover his back and front, but the kick would remain just as powerful. The tail whip would have a similar effect to Yoshi's Down Smash in Melee, but weaker knockback. This way he'd have another tripping like effect to his moves.

Speaking of tripping, his bananas might be removed perhaps due to complaints about how annoying it was. Sure I do love Diddy's possibilities in Brawl with the bananas, but I wouldn't mind losing them for something new.

Not sure if I want Dixie coupled with him or not, but if they do, make it more like a Zelda / Sheik combo than a Ice Climber combo. Keep the other character tagged along, but only 1 should be fighting outside of a couple of moves. The following Kong wouldn't attack, but would still be hurt when attacked. Still, am not still fond of the idea as Dixie could easily be her own character.

Other things I might change is his Neutral Air attack. It could do a little more damage, or it could be a whole new move altogheter. I picture a move kinda similar to Marth's N air in effect, but with his tail. A double sweep around, much like his aerial attack in DK64. I'm also for an attack kinda similar to Pikachu's N Air in usage and animation.

Also, I would like him to actually have both Peanut Popguns out for attacking, but with DKCR it doesn't seem likely. Unless it's for a new Down B, which is also an option. The peanuts could have a more tripping effect, or dizziness much like in DKCR. And sliiight effect of DK's Down B on the ground surrounding him but weaker.

Anyways, Diddy 4 Smash! :diddy:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I don't think that people don't post here because they don't care about Diddy. I think most people think he's returning and don't have huge problems with his moveset, so they don't have much to say.

Also, nobody really posts in the veterans section.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I also don't feel like MUCH is needed to change around Diddy's moveset, as I feel it's fine the way it is. But with the possible addition of Dixie around, I'd like Diddy to be different to her enough so that people won't call her a clone. Much like Wolf, who I feel isn't a clone. Dixie could be the Lucas to Diddy's Ness I feel, so I hope Diddy gets to use his tail more, while Dixie would focus on hair based attacks. I feel Dixie would probably have much different B attacks than Diddy anyways, but to be sure of the A moves not being similar, Diddy should have at least a couple of tail-based moves. It'd gave him more range and spacing options perhaps and he could need that if he lost the bananas.

Also yeah, the veteran board is quiet. Except for the Roy thread. :smirk: And occasionally Mewtwo.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
If there are going to be any clones it'll be Dixie and Diddy. They're basically perfect for it. They look similar, play similarly, use a tag-team system in their main game, and will possibly use the same system in the next Smash.

No one likes clones but Dixie is more justified than most. She would at least get a ponytail upb (although DK's upb basically does the same thing) and possibly a some other ponytail moves like dash attack and jab. I can't see how her other specials will be unique though.

:phone:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nah they're not perfect for being clones, as Diddy and Dixie especially played nothing a like in DKC2. Even DK and Diddy played more similar in DKC1, and are they clones in Brawl? (Not that ignorant people didn't say that pre-Brawl though :rolleyes: )

Lemme dig out that Dixie moveset I made earlier. It's all B moves though, but that shouldn't mather as you said the B moves would be totally the same except for Up B right? First of all, she doesn't even has Peanut Popguns :/ could see her do the Monkey Flip and throw bananas but that's about it.

At worst it'll be like Wolf-Fox, but with still different enough B moves, if not totally different. Dixie also would be slower, floatier, would be able to glide, would be able to grab with her hair... Lots of things to make her stand appart from Diddy. I could see them having similar aerials and smashes yeah, but that's really about it... Especially considering Diddy could use his tail still to stand appart from Dixie.

EDIT: Found my moveset:

B: Hair Grab. Basically think of DK's cargo grab. Dixie grabs the opponent with her hair, and is able to slam them into people. The heavier the character, the higher the damage. Though, she cannot jump and move as well carrying heavier characters like DK could.

Side B: Kong O'Nine Tails (based on the Cat O'Nine Tails enemy in DKC2). Dixie spins her hair around for a few seconds and releases an sliding hair spinning attack that can trap enemies in them and toss them around. A risky attack which does low damage (or better yet, none) but can send a foe flying far and high. Fixed knockback, but can be used as a finisher.

Up B: Hair Copter. See above animation. Combine DK's Spinning Kong with Peach's ability to float and you have a recovery rivalling Pit's. Easily.

Down B: Kinda hard to think of something but I'll just go for: Barrel Throw. A barrel or crate item appears and Dixie can use it as a projectile. Can only spawn a barrel or crate once a stock though, as it's a rather heavy attack.

General playstyle: A glass-canon character with slightly lesser offensive abilities than Diddy due to lower speed, lower strenght in general, less weight and less priority, but has a better recovery (than Diddy and than most characters in general) and quite a few tricks under her sleeve with the Barrel Throw and her Side B. She's a more grab orientated character than Diddy, and has slightly stronger throws than him as well. She has problems finishing of with her regular attacks, and doesn't have very strong Smash attacks, but her aerials are on par with Diddy's, though she doesn't have his F Air so even airbone she is a little weaker. Her aerial speed is also not as great as Diddy's, but due to her floatyness she's less likely to get combo'd than him. Her range on her moves involving her hair matches that of DK's arms though, even if her arms are still a little shorter than Diddy's. Her combo game is similar to Diddy's in style, but she may rely on grabs more for safety as even though her A attacks and aerials are fast, they don't really do too much damage on their own. She's a little bit of a trickster character, but with a few good strong points going for her as her grabs, specials and especially recovery.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
She cannot 'really' glide as in flying how MetaKnight and Charizard to it, but more like a combination of Peach's floating and gliding, but she's only able to proppeler herself downward, like in DKC. Am just saying gliding cause I'm lazy. :teeth: And, Dixie's ability should really explain itself.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
They play pretty similarly in DKC2. There's a few differences, but they're generally the same. The mechanics in the game aren't very deep. The ponytail twirl is the main difference, things like speed and how the hold barrels aren't really a big deal.

I can't think of another duo apart from Mario Luigi where the characters are more alike. Even then, Luigi has had a lot more game-time to distinguish himself.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy had better roles in game than Luigi though, so it's not just about what Dixie would be able to do, it's also what Diddy himself can do. Luigi is basically always Mario #2, as he was litterally invented to be Player 2 in a character (being overshadowed by Player 1, Mario and all). And at worst, yeah, Dixie would be a Luigified Diddy clone. But even then, characters can be highly unique from each other.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Yeah if she gets in she'll most likely be an inferior luigified clone. I'm not sure whether I want them separate or as a tag-team though.

In reality, it's not as if you'd switch between them frequently (unless it's forced) because Diddy is likely to be superior in most situations, like Sheik or Squirtle. The tag button would also most likely be downb, which would remove Diddy's nanas and nerf him massively.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He wouldn't need to be nerfed if they add in new abilities and buff him in other areas. Just look at Brawl Falco, he can't do pillar combos no more, and is he much worse than in Melee in comparision?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I think he will ultimately end up being nerfed if they remove his nanas despite what buffs they give him. I can't see what they could give him that's as good as nanas.

You'd expect Dixie to be slower, but then again she was quicker than him in Sluggers.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Never played Sluggers, but DKC is canon while Mario spinoffs are not. And likely, they won't draw on Mario spinoffs for inspiration. His new Down B could be like the attack from DKCR, Popgun Pound as seen here: http://donkeykong.nintendo.com/#/abilities/ . It could have a stunning / tripping like effect, and would be able to help him keep a similar playstyle. Attacks with the tail could also add on his range, and he could have better kill moves (or moves that won't stale so quickly) and he'd be buffed enough. Who is to say Diddy could still Glide Toss in Smash 4 anyway? His banana game is hugely relying on Brawl's shield mechanics and defensive playstyle, so it imo shouldn't be considered a nerf to remove the bananas for him.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
He wouldn't need to be nerfed if they add in new abilities and buff him in other areas. Just look at Brawl Falco, he can't do pillar combos no more, and is he much worse than in Melee in comparision?
Actually he is. He was #2 in a fast-paced game where he could play as defensively or aggressively as he wanted. He's not even top 5 in a much more defensively oriented game, even though he has arguably the best projectiles in the game.

Never played Sluggers, but DKC is canon while Mario spinoffs are not. And likely, they won't draw on Mario spinoffs for inspiration.
The very concept of entire themes and characters is based off spin-offs. See: Waluigi.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Brawl has more characters than Melee though, and it has Meta Knight ;) Though I do see your point, just clariying. Let's just say, Falco didn't drop THAT MUCH cause the loss of the pillar. He's still a top tier character and remained quite powerful. Just as Marth.

Waluigi isn't playable in Brawl either. :reverse:

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
I'm surprised there has not been any discussion regarding Diddy since 2012. There are plenty of options for tweaking his already unique moveset, so it's surprising no one has interest in his return.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah same here. Was tired of bumping the thread all the time!

Honestly, I think Diddy will have some changes in his moveset as well. I really, really hope he gets his Neutral Air attack power from Project M for example. That move looks so damn sexy, and really improves his playstyle. Am also hoping on more tail based attacks, as to increase his range on some moves. Also hoping for Peanuts to work much like his P:M self, cause they looking mad sexy there as well.

Seeing as DK has had an early reveal, am sure we'll see Diddy being confirmed quickly down the line. And DK's design already looks badass, so I'm having high hopes for my main this time around to! :awesome: He could use a little bit more kill power on his Forward Smash, Down Smash, Up Air and Back Air though I feel.

Maybe Diddy will carry his backpack with Barrel Jet from DKCR to? I think they will, seeing as it explains A LOT where he gets his Rocket Barrels from :laugh:

Anyways, am hyped as **** to see Diddy! :diddy:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I honestly hope he keeps the original rocket barrels; I found the Retro design really dull in comparison. It's like a missile!

However, I hope his fur is as shiny as DK's is. My GOD!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I hope for his Brawl Rocket Barrels to. And again, the P:M version of them. And yeah, the fur! Oh that sexy ass fur! :cool:

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
I hope they don't, but I could see them change his barrel jet to a Returns style similar to ROB's Up-B.

grizby2

Smash Lord
I think his moveset is just fine as it is. I enjoy playing diddy and ive never really complained about him when I do.

though, I WISH he would juggle those white and orange balls as an idle animation like he has in DCK2.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wish Diddy had a little more KO power, aerial speed, tail attacks and range. Other than that, he's completely fine. I'll look forward maining him again! :diddy:

Sashimi

Smash Ace
I really hope they keep the Bananas. They're what made Diddy Kong so unique. The only thing I didn't like about Melee was all the clones. The one thing I loved most about Brawl was the wealth of playstyles we had! Aside from your regular characters, ZSS had the stunner, Diddy Kong had bananas, Olimar had Pikmin, Lucario had his aura, etc. Removing bananas certainly won't make Diddy Kong a clone of any other character, but it will prevent him from being quite as unique as he was in Brawl!

Also, a tag-team with Dixie Kong would be really neat, as long as they don't replace one of Diddy Kong's moves with the character switch. I hadn't thought about using them together!

As for glide tossing, it looks like the trailer had Brawl shields. Glide tossing will probably be returning if they don't change shields/rolls.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If glide tossing returns, I hope the Bananas stay to. ^^

Why?

I like my Top Tier Diddy. Thank you.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Even if Diddy isn't top-tier next game, I hope we keep the banana mechanic. It's just so fun!

That being said, being top tier was nice.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
Yes.

3rd Donkey Kong spot is up for grabs between Dixie Kong and another character in the series.

Just don't clone. kthxbai

Top Bottom