• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Diddy Kong Social Thread

Zeke78

Smash Rookie
Yo guys I'm Zeke. You probably recognize me from discord or something.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Surprised to not see anyone commentating on Zinoto's recent performance at Midwest Mayhem 2. I must say it was overall a great performance as he able to get take it with Diddy alone and managed to overcome and the force of Troy's :4bayonetta:, something not even Abadango or iStudying could do and in the process gave a good demonstration of how well equipped Diddy is at handling her. Seeing how well Zinoto handles the matchup makes me wonder what ZeRo's Diddy will be able to do...

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Surprised to not see anyone commentating on Zinoto's recent performance at Midwest Mayhem 2. I must say it was overall a great performance as he able to get take it with Diddy alone and managed to overcome and the force of Troy's :4bayonetta:, something not even Abadango or iStudying could do and in the process gave a good demonstration of how well equipped Diddy is at handling her. Seeing how well Zinoto handles the matchup makes me wonder what ZeRo's Diddy will be able to do...
Because we all know Zinoto is a great Diddy also seeing Diddy win a tournament isn't a surprise to us most here think hes top 5 hands down. Also on Zinoto's Twitter he spoke often of how he thinks Diddy beats Bayonetta 60:40.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Congrats to our very own Player-1 Player-1 for finishing 7th at WTFox 2!

Not gonna lie, this was the first time I've seen you play since the Brawl days dude but I was impressed nonetheless and it's super good to see you still playing Diddy. Might have to start watching GA locals :colorful:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
god bless the monkey
Congrats on getting 17th! You played amazingly!

Hey, what percents would you like me to do? For kill combos. I am going to try to find the "true" Uthrow-Uair percents, but that is going to take time. I already have Dtilt-Usmash, so would you like me to do one with DI or another kill combo? What would benefit you the most?

Sonicninja115

Sorry guys. I focus on Mewtwo and do what I can on this board, but there just isn't as many Diddy mains willing to put in the level of work. No slight, lobbing isn't for everyone.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
@Megamang

Tagging you here because I'm like 6 pages behind on the Competitive Impressions thread (I'll catch up eventually, and probably address this there, because I see a lot of misinformation about the chimp in that thread) but I thought I should reply to something you said/asked about Diddy's upsmash.

Dtilt upsmash is basically mixups upon mixups for Diddy. First of all, the things Browny Browny said are true, you should be avoiding the upsmash (aside from potentially during a VERY small percentage window) if you're getting hit by close to max-spacing dtilt and airdodging, particularly if you successfully manage to DI the dtilt not-terribly (eg. stop running in to Diddy). Diddy-side counterplay to this is obvious (bait airdodge) but it's still a huge blow to his high-percentages endgame, and may affect his viability quite significantly if people start doing it consistently. Diddy Kong could go from Mr. Consistently Ends Your Stock At 140% (which as an aside is QUITE LATE) to a character that struggles to kill a little bit when his opponent avoids doing dumb things near either the banana or the ledge. This is the first, most obvious layer of mixups and counterplay from both characters, however if you get hit by dtilt at close range you're still dead, right?

The second and third layers of avoiding the dtilt upsmash kill confirm are very closely linked: DI and SDI. Firstly, dtilt is very quick, so it's not possible to always DI the move correctly, however there are a lot of subtle opportunities when you should be preemptively DIing in anticipation of the dtilt (endlag, landing lag, etc. particularly after hitting Diddy's shield) and one very important one - after getting hit by a banana unless you're right by the ledge or at very high percentages you should be able to react in time and DI the down tilt successfully. This is huge, because every Diddy alive goes for banana dtilt upsmash, and now you can neuter it. The conventional "good" DI for dtilt upsmash is up and away/away, however Diddy can still usually catch you by doing a "long" dash -> jc upsmash. This is where the final piece of the puzzle fits in.

The Diddy player doesn't have time to react to your DI after dtilt (not really), so he'll likely go for the "long" dash -> jc upsmash to cover the more likely escape option. If you DON'T DI away but the Diddy player thinks you will you've been handed a golden opportunity to escape the upsmash, by SDIing up and behind (through!) Diddy. It's relatively easy to react to being hit by dtilt and preemptively SDI out of the upsmash. If the Diddy player begins to catch on to this, he can do a "short" dash -> upsmash which (usually) beats the up and in SDI, but leaves himself vulnerable to up+away SDI, and if you manage to DI the dtilt not-terribly the upsmash will whiff entirely.

tl;dr diddy sux if you mix up your DI and actually attempt to SDI upsmash

Edit: I also like what you wrote about the Mewtwo MU Megamang, it's definitely not as bad as people think it is for M2.

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
I would like a diddy main to prove something for me, whether jc-usmash actually makes dtilt-usmash a combo from mid-tipper ranges accounting for the fact that it may not technically combo, but it may catch both airdodge or jump frames.

The best player in Australia said this and I am 100% adamant that it is not true because the jc usmash will add at least 1 extra frame to a combo that even when frame perfect, leaves a few frames of leeway. If a diddy main is frame perfect with the run and jc-usmashes I don't believe it will connect because of that extra frame, I may be mistaken though.

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Well I guess I'm officially "back" after a short break that turned into a 5 month hiatus, marked my return with a win at a local which was nice.

This place is dead as ever, would anyone be interested in a Diddy results archive where we can track the tournament placings of the (potentially) active posters + top Diddies?

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
This place is dead as ever, would anyone be interested in a Diddy results archive where we can track the tournament placings of the (potentially) active posters + top Diddies?
I'm biased for archived data and giddy for the idea, but curious if there would be a criteria. Specifically if by minimum should be monthly/regional results.

Then there's also whenever the need to find x player's result from a tourney months to years ago.
But at this rate, would we even use it? Even if pinned to the Diddy Discord?

Sonicninja115

I'm biased for archived data and giddy for the idea, but curious if there would be a criteria. Specifically if by minimum should be monthly/regional results.

Then there's also whenever the need to find x player's result from a tourney months to years ago.
But at this rate, would we even use it? Even if pinned to the Diddy Discord?
We could possibly do a big, top player results, and then a personal smashboards poster results. Like, one list is all top player results, and then everyone who wanted too could have a personal list in the OP as well.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Or give him the Old Diddy Kong Discord link and he'll make his way from there.

One who chases a launched opponent with a rocket barrel in doubles and proceeds to SD stylishly.
:phone:

Sonicninja115

Or give him the Old Diddy Kong Discord link and he'll make his way from there.

One who chases a launched opponent with a rocket barrel in doubles and proceeds to SD stylishly.
:phone:
I'm not part of that server, so I don't have the link.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Found something pretty cool tonight playing my roommate.

When cloud is recovering with the falling UpB to snap ledge, diddy can actually throw banana up from underneath and then smash or aerial to contest it. I can dig it

Top Bottom