• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Diddy Kong MU Discussion!! Week #5 Mario!!

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Jumpman jumpman jumpman jumpman jumpman jumpman!!

So here are the rules:

• Your post must be descriptive about the matchup just saying "I think Diddy loses this matchup" is not beneficial and will not be tolerated.
  • Posting videos of why you think a matchup is bad/good is a great showcase along with a post giving details in the matchup
  • We will be going off of the ratio numbers 10:90 being the worst for Diddy and numbers like 60:40 being considered an advantage for Diddy Kong.
Discuss :4diddy:

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
I find this MU interesting. Mario has pretty good tools to gimp Diddy, but only from a certain angle, which is the fireball angle. My advice recovery wise is to MF in usually, and then Rocket to the stage from below, or try to recover high and risk getting an Uair.

On stage Diddy wins. Diddy has his overpowering Neutral, and out spaces Mario on many moves. Fair is disjointed enough that it should be able to beat Usmash, though don't quote me. Diddy has the speed and options to keep up with Mario, plus extra. Mario cannot easily pick up Banana without using the landing variant or using Jab. DA is far too laggy to use to simply get banana unless Diddy is on the other side of the stage.

Diddy can use his ledge traps against Mario.

Cape seems rather viable, as it isn't super punishable unless purposely baited.

Good examples of this MU would be Ally vs. Zinoto. They have played many times, and their sets are up on GooshiGaming's youtube.

I don't want to say more as I am not super families in this MU.

Did you tell the Mario boards that we are discussing this MU? thank you! This looks great!

Last edited:

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115
Yeah I did hopefully they'll drop some knowledge from their POV

Heres what I found from Zinoto's ask.fm link:

"Wall him out early with falling aerials to avoid taking 70% off of one grab. Then make sure you get all of your grab confirms."

"First, the fireballs can be power shielded and it's the easiest way to avoid his follow up. As for the mu, wall him out at low percents. Falling aerials make it really hard for him to approach since his range is so poor. Once you take about 50 damage (or give him enough rage) then you can start to try and grab him. Anything before there's no point in risking it since he can combo you to 70% off of one grab."

Last edited:

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Mario main here. I feel Diddy beats Mario slightly, mainly because of his better neutral and kill setups. Banana can backfire if Mario capes it on reaction though.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
I hate this MU :(

Monkey flip loses to everything including the ever so safe upsmash, fireballs condition shielding, if I try and play the spaced aerials on shield game I get upsmashed and if I try to play more grounded I get grabbed for 40-70% (SERIOUSLY?). Even having stage control in this MU is scary because Mario's backthrow is dangerous near the ledge. Cape makes banana (and MFK) risky, if any of my shorthops get called out (including SH fair/bair/double bair/tomahawk) I get upsmashed while if the reverse happens and I call out a jump from Mario I only get 8-10% from a fair. I don't know what to doooooooooooo... please help me lmao.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Another Mario main here, I'll make some bullet points. Let's start with what Diddy has to watch out for:

• Watch the hell out for his Smashes. If Diddy doesn't AC stuff like F-air and Monkey Flip he will be eating one for sure.
  • Diddy is pretty easy for Mario to combo since he doesn't really have any reliable combo breakers so avoid grabs obviously.
  • Fireball wrecks Diddy's U-special if he isn't careful. Just try to recover out of range of them.
  • Mario doesn't have any super consistent ways of getting Banana but if he does... LOL. Seriously, letting him get it is really bad since he can then confirm into pretty much anything if he hits with it.
  • When Diddy actually dose lose neutral to Mario, it can suck for him because Mario is good at keeping him offstage. Be wary of getting 2-framed by D-tilt and B-aired.
You just really have to be careful of Mario's combo game because Diddy is sort of perfect for it, to be honest. Another thing is that Mario has some kill options that can catch you off guard. Namely B-air which will kill around, like 130% and even earlier with rage. Also, like they said in the Beefy vid, D-throw to F-air can really murder you if you aren't on the lookout for it around 80% - 120% or so depending on rage.

Now for some things Mario has to watch out for that Diddy has:

• F-air since it's disjointed and can keep Mario out.
  • Banana is just as annoying for Mario as it is for any character without any reliable way of destroying it (no, Fireball is not reliable for that).
  • Mario is also quite perfect for Diddy's combos the same way Diddy is for his.
  • While Diddy can't dropzone Mario, he has some scary edge-guarding tools that Mario must respect (F-air, B-air, thrown Banana, etc).
  • Diddy definitely has the stronger neutral and that's just something Mario has to accept.
Diddy is good at comboing Mario and hitting him with Banana so that helps a lot. I think where he shines is simply keeping Mario out with his disjoints and good item game as well as racking up damage despite his low overall damage output. The thing is, he definitely nets kills a lot later than Mario percent-wise but Banana confirms are super useful so it kind of balances out.

In my opinion, the MU is 50:50 because both characters can easily abuse the others' weaknesses and both are easy for the other to combo. They also can exploit each others' recoveries quite well. I think it's one of those MUs that is determined by which player outplays the other in that particular game/set.

This is pretty much what I know from my experience with the MU so far. Hope this helps!

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Be very careful offstage and around fireballs. If you're really good at spacing fair and stuffing Mario's approach options, some Marios might resort to a less aerial-oriented playstyle (ie more shield grabs, grounded fireballs, tomahawking, etc), which is good for you bc Mario's ground game is awful. Grounded Mario can also help you land banana setups easier, which can lead to kill confirms. To see this at a pro level, watch Ally vs. Zinoto in Michigan. These two go at it very often, and it's a really good showcase of the mu.
Quoting for truth/future reference/etc (ty for your help and input I greatly appreciate it!)

Top Bottom