• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Controller Mapping Discussion

The Hoo Hah

Smash Rookie
With a lot of advanced tech flowing around, we need to share opinions on controller mappings, which make some tech easier to perform while making other techs harder:
  1. Share how you map your controller with :4diddy:!
  2. What are your opinions on Tap Jump, and C-stick set to Attack?
  3. Have Fun!

A Case for Tap Jump ON:

Up Smash out of shield and Up B out of shield are easier to perform with Tap Jump on. Also, you can input an aerial during your jump squat frames by jumping with :GCU: and quickly moving :GCCN: which makes the aerial come out on frame 1. (This technique is called "Double Sticking" and BengalsRZ has a YouTube video on it here, so check it out!)

Let's say you have Tap Jump off. Then using :GCX: or :GCY: to jump means you have to hold a direction on :GCN: and press :GCA: to use aerials since pressing :GCX: or :GCY: then quickly moving your thumb to :GCCN: is not optimal. In this situation whenever you want to Forward Air, you have to hold :GCR:, so you have less control over your momentum. Therefore, Tap Jump allows you to have your right thumb on :GCCN: so you can jump with :GCU: and control your momentum in any direction while using any aerial.

Now one of the main arguments against Tap Jump is that it's harder to Up Tilt:
  1. You can get used to it if you practice.
  2. You can use :GCCN: for Up Tilts. Regarding :4diddy: , using :GCU: + :GCA: for Up Tilts isn't necessary since his Up Tilt isn't as fast as other characters which require you to mash :GCA: like :4mario:.
So Tap Jump isn't bad, and in some cases is better than other jumping methods, especially for :4diddy:. His Short Hop F-air game is really important and Double Sticking perfects his short hop F-airs, guaranteeing they come out frame perfectly.

A Case for :GCCN: set to Attack:
  1. Regarding doing a Monkey Flip to the right and then doing the Super Crawl to the left, if you have :GCCN: set to attack then tilts are easier to perform while you're doing the Super Crawl.
  2. If you have :GCCN: set to Smash Attack doesn't this somehow mess up your momentum in the air when doing aerials???
  3. Doing Instant Popgun Cancels (IPC) is extremely easier with :GCCN: set to Attack.
  4. If someone hits your shield, you can turn around and buffer a Down Tilt easier.
A Case for :GCLT:/:GCRT: as Special:

This is a must have if you want to perform Instant Popgun Cancels (IPCs).

My Current Controller Mapping:

:GCN: Tap Jump On
:GCCN: Attack
:GCA: Attack
:GCB: Special
:GCX: Jump
:GCY: Jump
:GCLT: Special
:GCRT: Shield
:GCZ: Grab

Important Videos and Sources:
Diddy Kong Tech Video by fyazkoSSB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFJp0Flcb2Q
Controller Mapping Discussion with ZeRo and D1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnRLY4AqANY
Double Sticking Tutorial by BengalzRZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHnTF4GQQDA

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
:GCA: Attack
:GCB: Special
:GCCN: tilts, easier for Dtilt strings and IPC. Plus, I don't have much trouble with smashes.
:GCLT: Shield
:GCRT: Special, makes it way easier to IPC and B-reverse MF
:GCX: Grab, was originally there because R was jump, but after switching R to Special I found that it is still very useful for Z-Catching and IPC smashes.
:GCY: Jump
:GCZ: Grab

D

Deleted member

I have a really simple control scheme with my :4diddy:.
:GCN:Tap Jump usually off, but it's nice to have fast Up-Airs, I'm trying out the Tap Jump:drflip:

:GCA: /:GCB:What would you expect?

:GCX:/:GCY:Jumping, lol.

:GCCN: Tilts, it's really good, sometimes I use Smash attack too.

:GCLT:/:GCZ:Grab, because 3DS just got me used to it.

:GCRT: Shield.

My thoughts on :GCU: Tap Jump and :GCCN: set to attack?
Not bad really, this looks and feels really nice, but you need to get used to, great, actually!

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
hing R to Special I found that it is still very useful for Z-Catching and IPC smashes.
Can you elaborate on this a little bit? Are you using your grab button (X) as the shield input in the IPC or are you using it as the attack input in the smash?

Our control schemes are identical. Tap jump forever.

@ everyone who has both X and Y set to jump, change one of them. Experiment. Changing one to shield gives you a digital shield button, changing one to grab makes doing aerials with bananas simple (and a face button for grab is always nice), you can probably change one to special and see if it helps you get more out of IPC (by sliding your finger between X and A), just don't waste that button.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Can you elaborate on this a little bit? Are you using your grab button (X) as the shield input in the IPC or are you using it as the attack input in the smash?

Our control schemes are identical. Tap jump forever.

@ everyone who has both X and Y set to jump, change one of them. Experiment. Changing one to shield gives you a digital shield button, changing one to grab makes doing aerials with bananas simple (and a face button for grab is always nice), you can probably change one to special and see if it helps you get more out of IPC (by sliding your finger between X and A), just don't waste that button.
I use X as shield, so it is basically the same input as JCIT, just sideways. And the smash is pretty easy with this method. C stick is def best for tilts.

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
Standard unless described otherwise:

L-Trigger - Jump - Recently switched to it - use it in Melee / PM only for wavedashing so was an easy switch. Really helped me with Metaknight up Air Strings and allowed me to be far more consistent with my OoS options.

Tap Jump Off - With L trigger to jump, feel like I am getting some of the benefits of having tap on, without the negatives I didn't like.

X Button - Grab - I don't hate Z - but since I use Y (and now L Trigger) - a part of this was because of disliking the shoulder button on 3DS so transferred that over.

With the C-Stick I don't tilt with Diddy, but I have a set up for Ryu and MetaKnight that I will use tilt stick.

Jaylowww

Smash Cadet
NNID
thatdudejono
3DS FC
5086-1719-4466
I use a Wii U Pro Controller, and mine are standard controls except for the following:
  • Tap Jump off
  • ZR set to shield (to mimic the 3DS controls which I learned to play the game from)
  • L to Special (for IPC and neutral B wavebounce)
  • Right Stick to tilts (for tilts, and retaining aerial momentum during SH aerials)

Conti

Smash Ace
I play Bidou ;3 on a GC Controller, while clawing to jump with y with my pointer finger.

L Special, Z Attack, X Grab, C Special, no rumble, no A+B, no tap

Akzomp

Smash Cadet
NNID
AKG_Akzomp
I use this config for every character (although Diddy helped me choose this layout):

Tap jump - ON (It makes short hop up-air easier and gives me more control options in situations and it is just something I think is worth learning to use)

C-Stick - ATTACK (I like to be able to use tilts - mostly down tilt - as efficiently as possible for combos and kill confirms. This also makes short hop aerials easier in some scenarios, since no jump-cancel-up-smash can come out on accident or anything)

Rumble - OFF (just a comfort thing. Also, rumble worsens your controller over time in theory)

AB Smash - OFF (although I may start using it since I heard that it makes turn around smash attacks easier)

Last edited:
Top Bottom