• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong AT Compilation

Heart of Ice

Smash Cadet
I actually "discovered" <- (I sincerely doubt I'm the first) a sick new Diddy Kong technique. You can actually grab a banana OoS. And just so were clear I'm not talking about plucking or tossing the banana, but grabbing a banana on the ground next to you.

How I discovered this was playing a match against an underwhelming Sheik (PSA: Sheik isn't a click-to-win button, just because she's top tier doesn't mean you are). (The total timelapse of these events is roughly 3 seconds) They were trying to cross me up and I had a banana next to me. I remember really wishing that I was holding the banana, but I got over it and decided to use a Nair to prevent them from successfully crossing me up. Then something unexpected happened, I ended up picking up the banana OoS. I was really shocked and could hear deafening MLG horns, next-level Diddy tech, and #TopTierDiddy echoing non-stop in my head. But I went with it and instantly tossed it behind me with a F-Smash follow-up to end the match.

The input is pretty simple: Have banana close to you -> :GCZ: -> :GCX:-> :GCA:

Obviously, you can also use the Y button to jump if you prefer and be sure to adjust these inputs if you have customized your controls.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
I actually "discovered" <- (I sincerely doubt I'm the first) a sick new Diddy Kong technique. You can actually grab a banana OoS. And just so were clear I'm not talking about plucking or tossing the banana, but grabbing a banana on the ground next to you.

How I discovered this was playing a match against an underwhelming Sheik (PSA: Sheik isn't a click-to-win button, just because she's top tier doesn't mean you are). (The total timelapse of these events is roughly 3 seconds) They were trying to cross me up and I had a banana next to me. I remember really wishing that I was holding the banana, but I got over it and decided to use a Nair to prevent them from successfully crossing me up. Then something unexpected happened, I ended up picking up the banana OoS. I was shocked, but I went with it and instantly tossed it behind me with a F-Smash follow-up to end the match.

The input is pretty simple: Have banana close to you -> :GCZ: -> :GCX:-> :GCA:

Obviously, you can also use the Y button to jump if you prefer and be sure to adjust these inputs if you have customized your controls.
so this is like a JC pickup? Interesting! I like it!

Also, I agree. It is hilarious playing a bad shiek. They just get destroyed and you can say, "You're playing the best character in the game?"

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
I think this guide should have a 'what' section if the move, so everyone knows what it is besides the title. Good work put into this though :) .

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

.. Then what's the point of this thread? Shouldn't it be Locke if you have all the info in the other one?
Technically. This place is more of an area to discuss AT's as well as learn about them. The guide has them for people who don't know how to navigate the boards easily. And I have to tell you, it is stunning how often people glance over stuff in guides. I had someone criticize my guide because it didn't have a terms section, which it did... The saddest thing is that I even have a quick search option, and it says I have a terms list.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Technically. This place is more of an area to discuss AT's as well as learn about them. The guide has them for people who don't know how to navigate the boards easily. And I have to tell you, it is stunning how often people glance over stuff in guides. I had someone criticize my guide because it didn't have a terms section, which it did... The saddest thing is that I even have a quick search option, and it says I have a terms list.
Ahh, I see. I guess I'd favor a single thread but I see your reason. And im sorry people can be lazy/dumb.

Sonicninja115

Ahh, I see. I guess I'd favor a single thread but I see your reason. And im sorry people can be lazy/dumb.
Another reason is that this thread outdated the other one by a month or two.
I'm having a lot of trouble with the popgun reverse cancel, so I made a gfy from a My Smash Corner video with a handcam. Thought I'd share here
https://gfycat.com/WhirlwindAssuredCub
Are you having trouble with the MF-b reverse popgun?

If you are, to cancel popgun, hold shield during the MF. This will buffer shield, so as soon as you land you will shield, but for some reason you won't airdodge. After buffering shield, wait until the FAF is over, and then B-reverse popgun, which is rather hard. B-reverse banana is easier.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
My most common two mistakes are pressing B too early (flip kick to my death) and pressing B without returning the stick to neutral (do nothing).

That gif is really good, if people are still having trouble there are a few minor things like making sure they hold B long enough for the popgun to cancel and something that everyone should start doing is letting go of shield before landing so you can go into a super crawl or dtilt or something like that.

The Hoo Hah

Smash Rookie
Monkey Flip Banana Reverse

How- Instead of using standard B, use down B and then immediately hit the opposite direction Diddy kong is facing. This will reverse his direction as well as throw out a banana.

Use- mix-up, free banana, enough said.

Button Input::GCR::GCB: + :GCD::GCB: + quickly after :GCL:

Monkey Flip-Down Special-B-reverse

Difficulty: Medium

Ranking::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy:
You should add this tech which is similar to the Monkey Flip Banana Reverse. The difference is that you always face the same direction while having the same trajectory as if you did the normal Monkey Flip Banana Reverse.

Inputs: While Monkey Flipping to the right hold :GCDL: then when the monkey flip animation completes do :GCD: + :GCB: then :GCDR:
While Monkey Flipping to the left hold :GCDR: then when the animation completes do :GCD: + :GCB: then :GCDL:

Also what should this be called? It's like a Peanut Popgun Wavebounce out of a Monkey Flip but with a banana. So should it be called "Monkey Flip Banana Reverse Wavebounce?"

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

You should add this tech which is similar to the Monkey Flip Banana Reverse. The difference is that you always face the same direction while having the same trajectory as if you did the normal Monkey Flip Banana Reverse.

Inputs: While Monkey Flipping to the right hold :GCDL: then when the monkey flip animation completes do :GCD: + :GCB: then :GCDR:
While Monkey Flipping to the left hold :GCDR: then when the animation completes do :GCD: + :GCB: then :GCDL:

Also what should this be called? It's like a Peanut Popgun Wavebounce out of a Monkey Flip but with a banana. So should it be called "Monkey Flip Banana Reverse Wavebounce?"
Yeah, it is a wavebounce, so taking it on the end would make sense. However, you don't have to have reverse in there. I will try to add it soonish.

The Hoo Hah

Smash Rookie
Yeah, it is a wavebounce, so taking it on the end would make sense. However, you don't have to have reverse in there. I will try to add it soonish.
Ah Okay. I meant "reverse" in the sense like you reverse your momentum but preserve your direction.

Last edited:

Lylo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chompypy
3DS FC
0490-8557-3079
The Hoo Hah The Hoo Hah Could you post the inputs for the MK flip - Peanuts wavebounce please?

Your post for the MK flip - Nana wavebounce helped me to master it on first try. Thanks!

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Ok I've finally had some lab time, mostly just practicing IZAC stuff (my fingers and wrists hurt, but I think I've decided foxtrot -> y short hop -> c-stick fair is the best way for me personally to do it) but I also had a bit of a look into jump cancel item tossing. Some of these are quite obvious, but the first one in particular slipped my mind for so long.

1. JCIT is the only (?) way to throw a banana in the opposite direction to the one that you're running in. You will continue sliding in the direction you were running so while it doesn't allow for superb followups it can catch opponents that are chasing you and if they shield it you'll likely have slid outside of their punish range.

2. You can JCIT "tilt" or "smash" throws in any direction. Smash throws do more damage, go further, and travel faster.

3. You can JCIT without sliding if you do not initiate a run before the JCIT, although I do not think there is any reason for us to do so.

And since every new Diddy player asks this question I tested it just to be certain:

Banana toss IS an out of shield option, you do not need to drop shield or jump cancel it. Forward throw hits on frame 7, and I believe the frame data is the same regardless of whether you smash or tilt throw it. Back hits on frame 9, down hits on frame 6 (I think), up hits on frame 11 and dashing item toss hits on frame 4. http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Attributes

Sonicninja115

Ok I've finally had some lab time, mostly just practicing IZAC stuff (my fingers and wrists hurt, but I think I've decided foxtrot -> y short hop -> c-stick fair is the best way for me personally to do it) but I also had a bit of a look into jump cancel item tossing. Some of these are quite obvious, but the first one in particular slipped my mind for so long.

1. JCIT is the only (?) way to throw a banana in the opposite direction to the one that you're running in. You will continue sliding in the direction you were running so while it doesn't allow for superb followups it can catch opponents that are chasing you and if they shield it you'll likely have slid outside of their punish range.

2. You can JCIT "tilt" or "smash" throws in any direction. Smash throws do more damage, go further, and travel faster.

3. You can JCIT without sliding if you do not initiate a run before the JCIT, although I do not think there is any reason for us to do so.

And since every new Diddy player asks this question I tested it just to be certain:

Banana toss IS an out of shield option, you do not need to drop shield or jump cancel it. Forward throw hits on frame 7, and I believe the frame data is the same regardless of whether you smash or tilt throw it. Back hits on frame 9, down hits on frame 6 (I think), up hits on frame 11 and dashing item toss hits on frame 4. http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Attributes
For number 1, the only way is to pivot. which sorta falls out of the requirements you set, but it technically counts. Good write up.

NonJohns

Smash Cadet
NNID
NonJohns
It's possible to PP, shield, and then shield drop but it's a lot easier to PP and drop down

Top Bottom