• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Appreciation Thread: From Dinky to Diddy, From the Jungle to the Brawl.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
He's back again and about time too

And this time he's in the mood...

He can fly real high with his jetpack on

With his pistols out he's one tough kong!

HUH!

Diddy Kong made his debut into the video game scene in 1994's Donkey Kong Country, his character was initially just a second hit so you wouldn't die straight away but he became so much more with new moves and stats from DK allowing a fun experiance. He was originally an upgraded version of Donkey Kong Jr however Nintendo insisted that DK jr either be put in his original look or the character be given a new name, Rare employees suggested names such as Diet DK, DK Lite and Titchy Kong before they finally settled on Dinky Kong, however due to legal complications the name was changed to Diddy Kong.
Several redesigns, some character development, a few developers, some rounds of golf, his turn on the go kart tracks on several occasions, running around on a rhino, swimming on a swordfish, jumping into the sky on a snake and dating a fellow Kong Dixie. Diddy Kong has made his way to the Wii's biggest title.

Diddy's game Appearances
SNES, GBC, GBA and Wii - Donkey Kong Country
SNES, GBA and Wii - Donkey Kong Country 2
SNES and GBA - Donkey Kong Country 3 (NPC)
GB - Donkey Kong Land
GB - Donkey Kong Land 2
GB - Donkey Kong Land 3 (NPC)
N64 - Donkey Kong 64
N64 - Diddy Kong Racing
GC - Donkey Konga
GC - Donkey Konga 2
GC - Donkey Konga 3 (Japan Only)
GC - Mario Power Tennis
GC - Mario Golf Toadstool Tennis
GC - Mario Kart Double Dash
GC - Mario Superstar Baseball
GBA - DK: King of Swing
DS - Mario Hoops 3 on 3
DS - Diddy Kong Racing DS
DS - DK Jungle Climber
Arcade - Mario Kart GP (NPC)
Wii - Super Mario Strikers Charged
Wii - DK: Barrel Blast

Confirmed Future Appearances
Wii - Super Smash Brothers Brawl
DS - Mario Party 9

Where he SHOULD appear next
Wii - Donkey Kong Wii
Wii - Mario Party 9
Wii - Mario Tennis Wii
Wii - Mario Golf Wii
Wii - Mario Kart Wii

And here is a picture of Diddy Kong's proposed specials drawn by the very talented FlipTroopa so thanks for that Flip =] Allthough a bit pointless now because we know that he has different moves to this, it's still really nice too look at =]

Music
Diddy's Winning Music
Diddy's Theme 1
Diddy's Theme 2
Diddy's Theme 3
Diddy's Aztec theme

ShAdOMaN

Smash Cadet
yeah, i was suprised he wasnt in ssbm. I see no reason why he wont be..... other than rareware being idiots lately

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
xianfeng, are you familiar with the site Donkey Kong Universe? (The website formerly known as Donkey Kong's Jungle Vine.) They're trying to raise playable Diddy awareness too. Right now, they're upgrading the forums, but I'll let them know of this thread when it's back up.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I'm totally for Diddy in Brawl. I think he deserves it by now ^^.

Of course, I'd expect him to be an annoying, lightweight character with a high-pitched monkey voice and a jetpack... :smash:

Gonzales

Smash Journeyman
He was my favorite Kong in Donkey Kong 64. He would be a good addition, if not the best. (coughCaptainOlimarcough)

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
i respect all requests for Diddy in SSBB, but i must say that i don't have the love that you guys have.

i'd much prefer Donkey Kong Jr. ;) i mean, what happened to DK's son?! ;)

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
If I remember correctly, DK Jr. is DK, the DK from the original Donkey Kong arcade games is Cranky Kong (I mean, he is always talking about how he was able to do things without advanced graphics and such).

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
Yes exactly but there's dispute amongst people regarding that. Probably due to Nintendo trying to mess up that part of the continuity.

Kelp Plankton

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to see Diddy Kong.

Though, moreso, I'd like to see Nintendo have Miyamoto get a runthrough of all of Rare's character designs so he can make them look less like the work of an armless man with crippled feet which he uses to draw.

I heart the original DK design from Donkey Kong. Not so much this DKC redesign. And Diddy could look cool in the old style.

Etra

Smash Cadet
Diddy Kong would be OK. But he would probably be a clone of DK, and Nintendo needs to get away from the clone stuff. lol

xianfeng

Smash Hero
ShAdOMaN said:
yeah, i was suprised he wasnt in ssbm. I see no reason why he wont be..... other than rareware being idiots lately
rare couldn't do jack**** nintendo owns diddy kong

I have seen the DKU and I am considering joining

i'd much prefer Donkey Kong Jr. i mean, what happened to DK's son?!
DK jr. has little to no fan base his last appearance was on the N64 he enjoys maths and he is nothing more than DK when he was little and would be a DK clone.

It's good to see that we are gaining momentum DIDDY KONG FOR SSBB, (I was also suprised that he wasn't in SSBM)

Diddy Kong would be OK. But he would probably be a clone of DK, and Nintendo needs to get away from the clone stuff. lol
Diddy would be anything but a DK clone clearly you know nothing about him he has no moves the same or even close to those of DK's

Etra

Smash Cadet
xianfeng said:
Diddy would be anything but a DK clone clearly you know nothing about him he has no moves the same or even close to those of DK's
Gogo assumption power? I've played every Donkey Kong game from the SNES on. (Yes, Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2, etc.) So, I feel I'm pretty knowledgable about what Diddy can do.

I still feel he would be a clone. That's my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Freeze 'n Burn

Smash Rookie
he is tiny and weaker than DK, he wont be a clone. he wouldnt have a charged up punch or be slow

possible attacks

Up + B jetpack boost
Down + B maybe be similar to the slap on the ground, but he would have a stomping rage
Dash +B ?
B peanut popgun, or a banana?
Running + A cartwheel kick

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Gonzales said:
He was my favorite Kong in Donkey Kong 64. He would be a good addition, if not the best. (coughCaptainOlimarcough)
Same here, especially in the vs mode. He'd be pretty cool and would have no problem with a move list. I miss those peanut shooting pistols and the crazy jetpack :) .

Nite

Smash Champion
Yea, I think that Diddy Kong deserves to be in Brawl because he has been in Donkey Kong's shadow for so long, and I think that it is about time that they let him shine a little. He was pretty awesome on Mario Power Tennis though. :)

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
XZero BeatX said:
Same here, especially in the vs mode. He'd be pretty cool and would have no problem with a move list. I miss those peanut shooting pistols and the crazy jetpack :) .
Diddy also has his guitar from DK64. That could work as a Super Move or his Down + A Smash move if implemented correctly.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Nitemare said:
Yea, I think that Diddy Kong deserves to be in Brawl because he has been in Donkey Kong's shadow for so long, and I think that it is about time that they let him shine a little. He was pretty awesome on Mario Power Tennis though. :)
I never played Mario Power Tennis>_<. Now I do agree that he needs to get out of Donkey Kong's shadow and feel as acknowleged.

Bowser85 said:
Diddy also has his guitar from DK64. That could work as a Super Move or his Down + A Smash move if implemented correctly.
Oh yeah, like the soundwaves from the guitar would extend to a certain(BALANCED) radius. Good point.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
I don't see what you're trying to achieve here...But whatever. I support Diddy's inclusion, and I'm to taking up any more room on the Brawl Discussion Hub.

Maybe it is possible that the devs have people scanning this site now and then...maybe.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Resting_Fox said:
I don't see what you're trying to achieve here...But whatever. I support Diddy's inclusion, and I'm to taking up any more room on the Brawl Discussion Hub.

Maybe it is possible that the devs have people scanning this site now and then...maybe.
You probably work for Nintendo and just want us to be quiet and stop leaking info. :p

I don't see what you're trying to achieve here.
We're discussing simple outcomes if Diddy was to be in SSBB. I don't see anything wrong with discussing on Diddy, he's not the only character that has a thread of his own I believe and he appeals to everyone so why not. :)

RoadsArePoison

Smash Cadet
Maybe he could whack opponents with his tail or throw orange grenades, or do whatever he does in DK64 when you charge B and then let go and it kills all the bad guys. I think that's about all he can do, actually.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
Gamingboy said:
If I remember correctly, DK Jr. is DK, the DK from the original Donkey Kong arcade games is Cranky Kong (I mean, he is always talking about how he was able to do things without advanced graphics and such).

really? interesting. that could make me look at DK in a whole new way now.

well then, diddy all the way. =) but what about dixie? does she get no love?

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Diddy is to DK what Luigi is to Mario. The two latter ones started off as the stars while the two first ones started off just as alternate characters. Add in 20 years of gaming history and the alternates now have their own names, story lines, games, and fan bases. The latters are now equally popular with thier "leaders" and will soon pass them on the charts.

Here's my moveset for him:
Button combination - Name - Description - (Similar Effect)

Up + B - Jetpack - Launches Diddy up very high while any opponents that are too near get hit by the launching flames. (Fox's Up + B)

Down + B - Chimpy Charge - Gathers up friction (classic cartoon running legs) until he launches himself at his opponents.

Dash +B - Silent Song - Pulls out his guitar and hits a note that stuns all opponents within range. (Jiggy's Sing)

B - Peanut Popguns - Pulls out his two popguns and unloads rounds of peanuts at the opponent. (Fox's Blaster)

Running + A - Cartwheel Kick - Kicks his opponents in style, hehehe.

Ax3 - Tail Spin - Swings his tail to the right; uses the recoil to swing it back to the left; again, uses recoil to make a complete 720 degree spin.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head at 4:30 am. Night ya'll.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I made a moveset somewhere in the old SSBB spam topic. Lemme see if I can find it.

And ofcoarse Diddy would be the best for SSBB, but hey if you see my forum name and my siggy (xianfeng I'll remove it if you think its only yours) you'd know I support this 100%.

Also why tf would someone want DK Jr instead of Diddy? Diddy actually replaced DK jr already in the DKC games. DK jr was playable in Mario Tennis 64 but now Diddy has been in far more Mario sport games than DK jr ever had.

And just to make sure, Diddy CANT just end up as a clone of DK, it's just not possible.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
Diddy Kong said:
I made a moveset somewhere in the old SSBB spam topic. Lemme see if I can find it.

And ofcoarse Diddy would be the best for SSBB, but hey if you see my forum name and my siggy (xianfeng I'll remove it if you think its only yours) you'd know I support this 100%.

Also why tf would someone want DK Jr instead of Diddy? Diddy actually replaced DK jr already in the DKC games. DK jr was playable in Mario Tennis 64 but now Diddy has been in far more Mario sport games than DK jr ever had.

And just to make sure, Diddy CANT just end up as a clone of DK, it's just not possible.

because DK Jr. was here first and i've already bonded with him. ;) plus he can do math. ;)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DK jr is the current DK. The old skool DK who fought Mario/Jumpman is now Cranky Kong.
DK jr would end up as a clone with more speed and less power. Do we need a clone from one of the more unique characters? I don't think so.

Im NOT gonna say anything defending Diddy right now cuz im tired of saying the same shiit all the time, why Diddy is a better choice stands all in my last posts. <__<;;

Master_Sheik

Smash Journeyman
I'm right on board with you guys, but I wouldn't mind if diddy and dixie kong were Ice Climber style characters. The only difference would be that you can actually switch out between them.

Master_Of_Puppets

Smash Cadet
I don't think Diddy would be really suited for Brawl, I'm a big fan of Donkey Kong but I seriously doubt Diddy will be in.

Master_Sheik

Smash Journeyman
Master_Of_Puppets said:
I don't think Diddy would be really suited for Brawl, I'm a big fan of Donkey Kong but I seriously doubt Diddy will be in.
I have to disagree with you. I’m almost positive that Nintendo will be expanding upon all of the franchises in the game, for example….we can expect to see something new from the Mario Universe such as Baby Bowser/Shadow Mario, Geno, and perhaps Toad if he is as highly acclaimed as Nintendo Power suggests. In the Link Universe, Younglink will probably be given a windwaker do-over, and Pokemon will of course gain yet another one. LOL. Kirby’s has gained metaknight, and I’m sure King Dede will be a much needed heavy-weight. I could go on, but my point is this: the DK franchise will be expanded. I’m sure King K Rool (Forgive me for my spelling), and Diddy will make the cut. My only question is will Diddy be his own character or partnered with Dixie. I’m gunning for the latter.
~~Master Sheik Out.

ArichTheViking

Smash Apprentice
I think it would be dumb if Diddy and Dixie were Ice Climbers style. Both of them, especially Diddy, deserve to be in the game of their own right.

The Donkey Kong Country series is Nintendo's third best selling franchise of all time (tied with Zelda.) Between SNES and Game Boy, DKC has now sold over 13 million copies, making it one of the 20 best-selling games of all time. Games where Diddy is THE PRIMARY STAR (DKC 2, DKL 2 and Diddy Kong Racing), have combined for over 13 million additional sales. He was also a main character in the 5 million selling DK64 and 4 million selling DKL. (Across all these games, Diddy Kong has only been paired with Dixie twice.)

I know Sakurai has stated characters will be chosen for being unique and suitable, not for being popular, but at the same time, 3 of the new characters announced so far are among the very most popular suggestions. (Meta-Knight, Pit, and Wario.) And Diddy is certainly unique and suitable. It wouldn't make much sense for Diddy to be a DK clone (can you imagine Diddy doing the hand-slap or charging up a punch? With his tiny arms he'd be worthless as a DK clone.) He would of course need the cartwheel, and he has a plethora of moves from DK64 which would suit the game perfectly.

With the inclusion of Wario, Diddy Kong is now the elephant in the room. He is the single biggest Nintendo character not known to be in the game. He is the one character that I would actually be a little upset to see miss the cut.

Master_Of_Puppets

Smash Cadet
Master_Sheik said:
I have to disagree with you. I’m almost positive that Nintendo will be expanding upon all of the franchises in the game, for example….we can expect to see something new from the Mario Universe such as Baby Bowser/Shadow Mario, Geno, and perhaps Toad if he is as highly acclaimed as Nintendo Power suggests. In the Link Universe, Younglink will probably be given a windwaker do-over, and Pokemon will of course gain yet another one. LOL. Kirby’s has gained metaknight, and I’m sure King Dede will be a much needed heavy-weight. I could go on, but my point is this: the DK franchise will be expanded. I’m sure King K Rool (Forgive me for my spelling), and Diddy will make the cut. My only question is will Diddy be his own character or partnered with Dixie. I’m gunning for the latter.
~~Master Sheik Out.
Lol, I was expecting someone to disagree. Im happy you did!

Master_Sheik

Smash Journeyman
ArichTheViking said:
I think it would be dumb if Diddy and Dixie were Ice Climbers style. Both of them, especially Diddy, deserve to be in the game of their own right.

The Donkey Kong Country series is Nintendo's third best selling franchise of all time (tied with Zelda.) Between SNES and Game Boy, DKC has now sold over 13 million copies, making it one of the 20 best-selling games of all time. Games where Diddy is THE PRIMARY STAR (DKC 2, DKL 2 and Diddy Kong Racing), have combined for over 13 million additional sales. He was also a main character in the 5 million selling DK64 and 4 million selling DKL. (Across all these games, Diddy Kong has only been paired with Dixie twice.)

I know Sakurai has stated characters will be chosen for being unique and suitable, not for being popular, but at the same time, 3 of the new characters announced so far are among the very most popular suggestions. (Meta-Knight, Pit, and Wario.) And Diddy is certainly unique and suitable. It wouldn't make much sense for Diddy to be a DK clone (can you imagine Diddy doing the hand-slap or charging up a punch? With his tiny arms he'd be worthless as a DK clone.) He would of course need the cartwheel, and he has a plethora of moves from DK64 which would suit the game perfectly.

With the inclusion of Wario, Diddy Kong is now the elephant in the room. He is the single biggest Nintendo character not known to be in the game. He is the one character that I would actually be a little upset to see miss the cut.
Hey, don't get me wrong. I think it would be awsome to see them each with their own character slot, I'm just saying don't be shcoked if they appear in that style. Either way, I would still love to play as each of them.

Master_Sheik

Smash Journeyman
LOL! I haven't played Pokemon in so long that I totally forgot about Missingno! Anyway, Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong should definately make the cut. In my eyes, they're already primed for battle. The reason that I wanted to see them together in the game though is because they work so well together in the series. Having those two seperated is like seperating the Ice Climbers T_T; but, alas, this is a war I will not win in this room. I think that now would be a great time to focus on.......you know what?!?! I'm going to start a thread for that!
~~Master Sheik Out.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Master_Of_Puppets said:
of course original, fighting, popular characters arn't suited for SSBB

And sperating Diddy and Dixie is not like seperating the ice climbers, The ICs are weak withoiut the other but Diddy and Dixie are stronger apart than they are as a team because if they were a team Diddy couldn't use his guiter or his peanunt popguns or jetpack and Dixie couldn't use her spinning hair, because these are moves that are for that character only (with the exception of the spinning hair which was plundered by Tiny a rip off of Dixie) This being said they should be and most likely will be sperate

95% chance they are separate
5% chance they are an IC like team

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think Diddy is already made as a character in SSBB. He's just not yet showed because he lacks "contact" with Mario, Link, Kirby and Pikachu. For example, Metaknight was showed because Kirby was in the trailer. Same goes for Mario and Wario. Zero SUit Samus was just to show off some uniqueness I think and the Kid Icarius game was just as populair as Metroid on the NES. Snake was there because Nintendo just wanted to show us he's in before the game is released and fans are all like WTF.

If DK was in the trailer instead of lemme say... Pikachu I think Diddy would make a apperance. But Mario and DK are related to each other so it would be better he was not in the trailer.

And I'd like Diddy and Dixie as IC duo but that would make Diddy too much secundary.Also lot's of his DK64 moves couldn't be used and thats kind of a waste. Still I'd like Diddy, Dixie and Diddy&Dixie IC duo as seperate characters but that's sort of lame.

SmashnTendo

Smash Apprentice
Diddy does deserve to be in this next smash. He has fought alongside Donkey Kong with so many games. and Diddy won't really be a clone to Donkey because I bet everyone can think of Diddy specialty moves. Banana peel anyone?
Dixie would be a longshot but would be a clone of Diddy in a way.
Too bad they couldn't put the whole Kong family........nvm, that's either an awesome idea but probably a horrible one that will never happen.
King K. Rool has a good chance as he's on Sakurai's poll...

Top Bottom