• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy has been buffed!

tuck :)

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
TUCK#214
incase you guys missed it, diddy got buffed a bit it 3.0!
Diddy Kong Down Smash Attack Extended launch distance.
Diddy Kong Up Air Attack Increased attack power and maintained launch distance.
Diddy Kong Neutral Air Attack Increased attack range.
Diddy Kong Dash Attack Increased attack speed.
Diddy Kong Side Tilt Attack Increased the amount of time hit detection lasts.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Last edited:

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
It's a help. The buff to nair's range alone feels so nice, but I'm also really glad about the f-tilt buff. So often, I'd find myself using it in response to a spot dodge, only to find out that the hitbox didn't last quite as long as I thought it would for when the opponent would be coming out of their invulnerable state... Down smash's range still feels slightly lacking to me, but maybe I want too much; whatever the case, at least it'll KO a bit better. More damage for up air is always nice, and of course, dash attack already being a more viable move than it was in Sm4sh, more speed is a totally welcome thing! :)

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
TUCK#214
I pretty much feel the same way. I use nair at mid percents to ladder up platforms on battlefield and PS, so having it hit more reliable is a bit plus. i love doing turnaround cancel f-tilt as a somewhat silly approach option, so while the hitbox duration doesnt affect me too much, using it to punish rolls/spotdodges seems smart. It seems that Dsmash is better than fsmash at percents like 90-110 on the ground, since the angle it sends can lead them not to be able to recover. on platforms and most other percents, fsmash is still the way to go.

Leap of Faith

Smash Cadet
any difference i havent played much diddy in ult but i did in the other games so would love to move back if hes actually playable now

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
TUCK#214
any difference i havent played much diddy in ult but i did in the other games so would love to move back if hes actually playable now
well i think he was 'playable' before the buffs, but these buffs arent game changing or anything. i still highly recommend you give him a shot.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hoo-Hah Nation will rise again!

Am happy with these small buffs. N Air range buff makes it easier for us to throw the move out and follow up with combos.

I am kind of upset the recovery hasn't been touched, but I'll manage.

BlueJaySSB

Poggers my Doggers
Good changes, good changes. Haven't really been able to use Diddy a ton in this game so far cus I really didn't like the way he felt. Time to revisit my boi. Also, is HOO HAH back???????

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
TUCK#214
Good changes, good changes. Haven't really been able to use Diddy a ton in this game so far cus I really didn't like the way he felt. Time to revisit my boi. Also, is HOO HAH back???????
d-throw -> upair is definitely in this game, but it isnt ridiculously overused like in early s4. at low percents i usually go for dthrow->dair and react after that

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
U Air is still only good for follow ups whenever F Air or B Air isn't a viable option due to the opponent being send up far too high. I did manage to get a regular kill with it against Wolf around 140%, but it was with added rage as I was at least over 100%. It'll help whenever we fight on Battlefield like stages though. D Smash is quite good now however! It really helps to have another kill option out of Banana if F Smash is growing stale (which it sometimes does, because after all even at low %s I often feel it's one of the better options out of a banana trip confirm). N Air's added range is really helpful for landing and starting combo's as well, especially if we don't hold a banana.

Overall it are great buffs. Yet our weaknesses haven't really been adressed too much. It just added to Diddy's strenghts, which is always nice. But I still think his disadvantage combined with his horrible recovery is still a real glaring weakness. We get rushdowned too hard for how fragile we are. And his lack of air speed is also an issue. I don't get why DK's airspeed is amongst the Top 10, and ours is amongst the Bottom 10. Real weird design choices. It also really shows in the DK vs Diddy matchup.

BTW!! You can break shields with D Smash! I did a banana throw into F Smash and then into D Smash on Wii Fit Trainer's shield, and it broke! It's the very first time I ever had this happen with Diddy! Abuse this!

Last edited:

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
TUCK#214
Overall it are great buffs. Yet our weaknesses haven't really been adressed too much. It just added to Diddy's strenghts, which is always nice. But I still think his disadvantage combined with his horrible recovery is still a real glaring weakness. We get rushdowned too hard for how fragile we are. And his lack of air speed is also an issue. I don't get why DK's airspeed is amongst the Top 10, and ours is amongst the Bottom 10. Real weird design choices. It also really shows in the DK vs Diddy matchup.
Yes. 10000% agree with this. a lot of buffs, not just on diddy, seem to not address the character's actual weakness. having a stronger dsmash is nice, and i'll have to try using it to try and shield break, but at the end of the day we still have no vertical recovery in a game where every character seems to have massive recoveries.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes. 10000% agree with this. a lot of buffs, not just on diddy, seem to not address the character's actual weakness. having a stronger dsmash is nice, and i'll have to try using it to try and shield break, but at the end of the day we still have no vertical recovery in a game where every character seems to have massive recoveries.
Late reply, but Mewtwo has been getting weight buffs since the very first time he’s got patched. And that’s since Smash 4. I think we just need to complain more. Because Diddy is almost 0,0% competitively represented. If he could just recover, all would be well. But we have an extremely weak AND exploitable recovery.... and that’s just bad. Diddy also got his weight nerfed and it’s just a real big bummer because he used to be able to take a beating in Smash 4, and especially Brawl. In Brawl, Diddy even had great recovery. Shame to see this being changed so much. If we could take stocks easier I would’ve gotten it, but no. I’m kind of starting to see why Diddy is so unpopular.

Top Bottom