• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy & Dixie: What could have been~

X-DS

Smash Cadet
I did a general search for "Dixie Kong" and saw nothing about this, so if it's old please forgive me.

In the latest Famitsu (Did people stop caring since Brawl came out??), Sakurai is interviewed specifically about the newcomers (limited to those already shown on the Dojo) and mentioned that originally Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong were meant to be a pair character that tagged between each other, but the plan was changed due to difficulties encountered. Here is the actual Japanese text on the subject:

じつは、ディディーコングはディクシーコングとペアで出すつもりでした。タッチするごとで二人を瞬時に入れ替えるようなシステムをつもり。いろいろと難しい部分があって早々とカットしました。

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I am glad they did not go through with it, Diddy is such a cool character by himeself and Dixie will kind of ruin that.

Torchik

Smash Ace
I like Diddy, but this would have been SO much cooler. Probably because I LOVE Dixie. She's my favorite kong. Perhaps she'll make it into the next one. Do you think with and Action Replay, you could get to use her? >_>

T-major

Smash Champion
good thing they didn't do that. it's a stupid and random idea. Diddy is not only 8 times more important and iconic than Dixie, but making them a team character makes no sense, as they have only been teamed up TWICE... seriously.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I did a general search for "Dixie Kong" and saw nothing about this, so if it's old please forgive me.

In the latest Famitsu (Did people stop caring since Brawl came out??), Sakurai is interviewed specifically about the newcomers (limited to those already shown on the Dojo) and mentioned that originally Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong were meant to be a pair character that tagged between each other, but the plan was changed due to difficulties encountered. Here is the actual Japanese text on the subject:

じつは、ディディーコングはディクシーコングとペアで出すつもりでした。タッチするごとで二人を瞬時に入れ替えるようなシステムをつもり。いろいろと難しい部分があって早々とカットしました。
Well actually, Im glad that didnt come about. Im very happy with Diddy the way he is. Dixie may yet be a seperate character. If DLC IS still possible, Dixie may be able to be playable, if rumors are true, which I doubt.

So dont count out being able to play as them on a team yet (although not in the way imagined)

Ruggeth

Smash Journeyman
.. She could have made a good Diddy clone. There needs to be more female characters.

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
It's a very cool idea on paper, but as already said, it would ruin diddy's lone potential. Now dixie/kiddy kong that would work nicely.

okor

Smash Apprentice
From the first post, it sounds more like a PT idea than an IC idea.

If it was more in the PT fashion, it sounds like it would have been pretty cool to me.

Torchik

Smash Ace
I agree there needs to be more female characters. Dixie could have been very unique as her own character. Diddy's only been in a few more games than her. She's been in almost all of the random spin-offs (Mario sports games). She was in two amazingly popular games, starring as the main character in one. She was in the new Diddy Kong Racing. She's popular and a female.

There are plenty of reasons she should have been in. Diddy has been in 15 games (not counting SSBB) I believe. Dixie was in 10 games, if I counted right, and she should have been in DK64 (Tiny did NOT deserve that spot). Diddy really hasn't been in that many more games than her. Yes, he maybe a little more developed than her, thanks to DK64, but she is still a very popular character. *sigh* I really wish she made it in...she's one of my favorite video game characters...

Ruggeth

Smash Journeyman
Right. Which was why most of his moves originated from Doneky kong 64.

But they managed to capture most of his movements that he had in DKC & DKC2.

It would have been rather difficult to give Dixie her own moveset, or even a copy of Diddys rather, seeing how she was not in Donkey kong 64. So thats probably why the only possibilty she had of being a character was to be paired with Diddy; because Diddy makes up for her lack of moves.

They must have realized how much potential Diddy had as his own char, and decided to trash Dixie.

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
Right. Which was why most of his moves originated from Doneky kong 64.
Diddy only had one move in DKC: the cartwheel. Oh wait, he could jump and throw things too...

I played DK64 once, and was disgusted at what a sub-par platformer it was compared to Super Mario 64.

And that song....that horrible song! DKC's music was teh pwn.

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
I like Dixie, but I'm very glad it fell through. Diddy should be represented as his own character.

Dixie could still use Tiny's abilities from DK64.

Bensei

Smash Cadet
I'm glad it didn't happen, the SSE vid looks way cooler with only two Kongs, but Dixie could've been an AT where she follows any chara and uses Diddy's moves while you do your own ones like the Ice climbers (the same could have happened with Tails or with Ditto in Melee)

I'd welcome her if she's an own chara, but as far as I've heard now I think her Chara data is only on the disc because they wanted to test her as stand-alone Chara like they did with giga Bowser and Warioman

mickomoo

Smash Rookie
From the first post, it sounds more like a PT idea than an IC idea.

If it was more in the PT fashion, it sounds like it would have been pretty cool to me.
That's how it was in DCK 2. Man that brings back memories. I don't see why people say Dixie couldn't have her own moves. Solely based off of DCK 2, she'd have 2 B moves, her A moves probably'd be covered too. I love Dixie too, she seemed as if she could have been a fun and unique character...

Torchik

Smash Ace
I completely agree Mickomoo! Her bubblegum could have been in a few of her moves. Her hair spin could be her running A. She could glide. She could use her guitar.

SPECIALS:

B: Bubble Shoot- Dixie blows a bubble with her gum and shoots it at her opponent. Holding it too long would cause it to backfire. (Stole that from someone. >_>)

Forward B: Razor Hair- Dixie spins her hair around like she does in the air, but instead does it on the ground and moves forward. Anyone who gets hit by it gets caught, and takes multiple little hits. (Think Pit's Forward B)

Up B: Hair Helicopter- Dixie spins herself around so fast that she actually starts to float upwards. Covers good vertical distance.

Down B: Banana Throw- Same as Diddy's.

SMASHES:

Forward Smash: Dixie slams her hair into her opponent.

Up Smash: Dixie does a flip and hits the opponent with her hair. (Like Fox's up smash, but with her hair.)

Down Smash: Dixie flips onto her head and spins around, having her hair slice the ground all around her.

TILTS:

Forward Tilt: Dixie kicks her opponent. (Very similar to Pikachu's Forward Tilt.)

Up Tilt: Dixie headbutts her opponent.

Down Tilt: Dixie keeps low to the ground and spins around in a circle, having her hair hit an opponent.

Regular A: Dixie punches her opponent once, kicks them once, then slams her hair down.

Held Regular A: Dixie spins her hair around in front of her.

AERIALS:

Down Aerial: Does a flip in midair and meteor smashes the foe down with her hair.

Up Aerial: Spins her hair above her.

Back Aerial: Kicks backwards.

Forward Aerial: Spins forward and smacks foe HARD with her hair.

THROWS:

Grab: Grabs with her hair.

Grab Attack: Punches foe.

Forward Throw: Tosses foe forward.

Down Throw: Jumps up and slams foe onto the ground, then lands on them.

Back Throw: Rolls backwards with opponent, then releases them. (Pikachu's Back Throw.)

Up Throw: Throws the opponent above her head.

FINAL SMASH:

Guitar Solo: She can play two different songs.

1) Dixie plays a soft song and puts all enemies to sleep. She can then smash one of them with her guitar for an auto K.O. (Stole that from someone too.)

2) Dixie plays her little tune from DKC 2. All enemies are dazed and Dixie can smash one of them with her guitar for an auto K.O.

STATS:

Speed: 4

Jump: 4

Power: 2.5

ABILITIES:

Glide: Yes

Wall Cling: Yes

Wall Jump: Yes

Tether Recovery: Yes (With her hair. It's not very long, so using her up B would be better.)

There's her moveset. Easy.

Ruggeth

Smash Journeyman
I completely agree Mickomoo! Her bubblegum could have been in a few of her moves. Her hair spin could be her running A. She could glide. She could use her guitar.

SPECIALS:

B: Bubble Shoot- Dixie blows a bubble with her gum and shoots it at her opponent. Holding it too long would cause it to backfire. (Stole that from someone. >_>)

Forward B: Razor Hair- Dixie spins her hair around like she does in the air, but instead does it on the ground and moves forward. Anyone who gets hit by it gets caught, and takes multiple little hits. (Think Pit's Forward B)

Up B: Hair Helicopter- Dixie spins herself around so fast that she actually starts to float upwards. Covers good vertical distance.

SMASHES:

Up Smash: Dixie does a flip and hits the opponent with her hair. (Like Fox's up smash, but with her hair.)

Down Smash: Dixie flips onto her head and spins around, having her hair slice the ground all around her.

TILTS:

Forward Tilt: Dixie kicks her opponent. (Very similar to Pikachu's Forward Tilt.)

Down Tilt: Dixie keeps low to the ground and spins around in a circle, having her hair hit an opponent.

Regular A: Dixie punches her opponent once, kicks them once, then slams her hair down.

AERIALS:

Down Aerial: Does a flip in midair and meteor smashes the foe down with her hair.

THROWS:

Back Throw: Rolls backwards with opponent, then releases them. (Pikachu's Back Throw.)

FINAL SMASH:

1) Dixie plays a soft song and puts all enemies to sleep. She can then smash one of them with her guitar for an auto K.O. (Stole that from someone too.)

2) Dixie plays her little tune from DKC 2. All enemies are dazed and Dixie can smash one of them with her guitar for an auto K.O.

STATS:

ABILITIES:

Tether Recovery: Yes (With her hair. It's not very long, so using her up B would be better.)

Thats very dumb. Her hair spinning attack was the equivilent of Diddy's cartwheel, which was his running A.

Her bubblegum was chewed when you stood as her too long. She ocasionally blew bubbles.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
well I personally am happy that Diddy became a loner but the combination would surely have been interesting. I mean it wouldn't be an Ice climber match up per say because you could switch between the two and it would be a zelda transformation per say because they both would be on screen at the same time. So it would be like a shiek/zelda and Ice climber mix.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion

I made a post about this in another forum after I found out about the forbidden 7. Here are my iterpretations of what the forbidden 7 were going to be:

Dixie=Same moves as Diddy, like a Nana character
Toon Zelda/Sheik=Cheap late add ons like Toon Link
Plusle and Minun=Pichu replacement as an Ice Climber like duo
Roy/Mewtwo/Doc=Scrap data left over when coppying Melee

Anyways, I don't think I would have liked that. Diddy's moveset is really good right now. We probably wouldn't have had the Peanut Gun or Rocket Barrels if the two teamed up.

Chepe

Smash Lord
I KNEW IT! I knew it I knew it I knew it! People told me off for no proof, but I knew that Dixie's data meant that Diddy was supposed to be in a duo between them! And it looks like my guesses were correct: that Diddy and Dixie ran into some moveset differentiation and synchronization problems (both would not share the same moveset but had to move together) that saw the idea scrapped, and Dixie was unfortunately deemed unvaluable by herself...

Im sorry guys, but I always knew somehow that Dixie would not make it in without Diddy...

white_mage

Smash Cadet
I personally still regret the comment on needing more female characters and just ending up with Zero Suit Samus. I think I would have rather have Krystal with incorrect moves and be a clone, or have a semi-clone to Diddy, Ike, Peach, or whoever else than just end up with what we have---even if Dixie/Lyn/Daisy or whoever were just alt. costumes. I guess im just bitter.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Im guessing the concept would have been something along the lines of having a double attack using different appendages with A moves (ponytail/tail/etc) with the lead character having some benefit, and B moves using partner attacks that involved throwing each other and such. Down B would have had them high five each other and switch. It would have been neat now thinking about it...

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad they did not do that. They should have put Dixie in as her own char.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
well if it was like ice climbers than i am happy diddy is a lone character. but if it was a tag team kinda thing, where you played as one and the other could jump in, then that would be pretty cool. cuz you could still play as diddy if you wanted to, or switch up to dixie...peace

-hiro

Destructioncalls

Smash Cadet

SPECIALS:

SMASHES:

TILTS:

AERIALS:

THROWS:

FINAL SMASH:

STATS:

ABILITIES:

That move list sounds pretty similar to one I made on here on a Dixie support thread awhile back. I said the gum move would cuz the enemy to stick to the ground if fully charged for a few seconds... if used early before fully charged it would just slow down eneimes for like 2 seconds.

The Up and Forward B are the same, but the down B would be orange gernades(from dk64)prob a little similar to Links. Oh and her forward throw would be just like DK's wit her picking them up wit her hair, but she doesn't move as fast as dk does when carrying someone.

I really REALLY hope that Dixie will some how be playable. I'm not trying to get hung up on this DLC idea to much, but it's so hard not to.

Torchik

Smash Ace
Yeah, Dixie deserves it. I agree with white mage too. It really pisses me off how Sakurai was all like "we need more female characters!!" so he put in Zamus...I really can't help but to think that he favors male characters over female characters. There were SO many deserving female FE characters. It really is dissapointing...

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Guys, he never said he wanted to put in more female characters. He said he put ZSS in because she was female (which is quite odd to do considering in her suit, she is still a woman)

Top Bottom