• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did you stick with your first main?

Wolfy!

Indecisive
I used to main Kirby before I learned about the competitive scene. But I had always played Fox and Falcon along with Kirby, so the switch to Falcon was pretty natural.

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
Hell no! I started off playing Doc because he was a character recommended to me by a friend and I frankly hated the character. I was then watching some olf footage of Mango & DBR's The King and some newer HBox stuff and I was inspired to pick up Jiggs and now I can't get enough of that character!

SadColor

Smash Rookie
well, sort of
whenever I was like 3 I played Kirby
and then when I started playing again years later I played Jigglypuff and Ness (carrying over from Smash 64)
and now I play Kirby, Pichu, and maybe Mewtwo. But I'm also thinking about Luigi, G&W, Yoshi, Ice Climbers, and Ness again. Apparently even though I suck (when I can drive I hope to play more people to get better) I still can't stick with one person.

(irrelevant stuff: I play Jigglypuff, Ness, and Luigi in Smash 64.
I play Kirby, Jigglypuff, Lucas, and Ness in Brawl. Except I play that like never so that's even more irrelevant)

Metakill

Smash Journeyman
Started with Marth/Roy and since I started competitive I rotated a lot between Fox-Falco-Marth ... Kinda use the 3 in tournaments but I consider Fox as my main

Deathconsciousness

Banned via Administration
I used to play with Fox and Falco, but then I realized those characters sucked, and I've been using Pichu and Mewtwo ever since.

Toebex

Smash Cadet
I mained Marth and Link for ages. Kept switching between. Now I mainly play Marth but use link when I play against anyone other than fox, falco, or captain falcon. I love playing Link because he's easy to short hop and wavedash with plus he can combo so well with the hookshot + projectiles and the lovely nair. Marth just has pace and I love playing technical sometimes. Honestly, the main reason I started to use Marth is because I kinda got bored of playing Link all the time. Ive only been playing "competitively" for about 4 months so im not too bothered.

So basically, sort of :p

wizards64

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
VGTA#364
I started kirby to spam jab, then Mario and Young Link. Then I became a f-smash spammer and stuck to Mario, once I got into competitive Melee I switched to Falco cause the friend who 4-stocked me made it look flashy. However, the movement just didn't feel that natural and Fox felt like the real deal with more natural movement, better recovery, and other aspects that I prefer. Recently though as I've watched Mangopuff dominating the scene from 2009 I've gotten inspired to play Puff as well except I try to refrain from the campy style and stick to the Mango style. I don't know what's next Fox or Puff, with Puff sinking in the tier list probably Fox.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Sort of. I started off with Samus, but eventually started losing to my friend's Fsmash (aka his Marth). So I picked up Fsmash for a while, too. I kept up with my Samus a little, but not as seriously. A little bit after I learned about competitive play, another player informed me that he had more trouble against my Samus than my Marth, so I switched back.

As I've gone on, my dedication to Samus has actually increased. She's such a neat character, and she plays so many different ways depending on the match-up. She's also a character just rewards reads so decisively.

milligraham

Smash Apprentice
Probably the first character I mained was Young Link, I remember also maining Falco, Falcon, and even Ness for a short period of time. But when I started watching competitive melee videos on youtube about 5 or 6 months ago and started seeing the crazy combos people were doing with C. Falcon I was hooked.
Falcon had always been one of my top favorite characters, but that's what caused me to want to main him and try to improve. That's also the reason why I wanted to change my ways from the basic playstyle of casual smashing to using more advanced techniques.

Senortesta

Smash Apprentice
First I went samus as a noob, then marth as a scrub, then doc as a beginner, then peach as an amateur, then shiek averagly, then back to marth so kinda.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Started playing at a friend's house, went through every character until I found Mewtwo, who I kinda liked. Really sucked as him though (even worse than the other 90% of the cast) so I eventually moved on. Then I found Kirby. All his moves were highly distinct and his specials really did look special. He matched my childish nature and the two of us immediately hit it off. Suddenly, I was taking stocks off people who'd been playing for over a year.
Then I went home and forgot about the game. Forgot who Kirby was even. Somehow, though, when I saw the game again, he just happened to be the one I chose and, while I've played G&W and Yoshi on the side, with an odd phase of trying to main MH, Kirby and I have always gone hand in hand.

His games suck though.

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
I probably didn't have an actual main for my first 2 years of playing this game, that or I don't remember. My first real main was Link for about 10 years, but then I decide I wanted to try something else 2 months ago and picked Sheik. Needless to say, I'm better with Sheik now than I was with Link after 10 years, did lose originality points though.

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
I only recently started playing (year and a half ago) so.... I'm going to switch mains a hundred more times till I find someone that fits :p Started with Falco, switched to Mewtwo, and now currently playing Fox and Yoshi because they just feel more comfortable

MrHazuki

Smash Ace
I have been through every character except IC and Zelda since I started, probably with Doc being the first true main. I can't get enough of Yoshi right now. :D

Professor Ian Bean

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
CHLZ#688
I use to main fox and marth, then I thought they were too good, so I switched to Link to give myself more of a challenge, and I've played as him ever since.

Meccs

@Meccs_
I used Luigi from Melee's release until Brawl came out. When I went back to play Melee I just couldn't use Luigi anymore for some reason so I changed to Ganondorf.
edit: after messing around a bit, I think it's mainly cause there's something about his jump I'm just not comfortable with.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
I guess it sort of depends on what you call a main. Back when I first got the game and had no idea competitive Melee existed, I played Sheik and Samus. I stopped playing for the longest time and picked up Link. I stopped playing for an even longer time, found out about the competitive scene, and picked up Falco so I could look flashy and awesome for doing the things that I'm simply supposed to do.

Toon Link 99

Smash Cadet
I have used Link since I started the game for the first time, before I knew about tier lists. I don't regret it, I used to be good with him.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Started with Link. Felt really limited in what I could do. Most skills I learned with him felt kinda unfulfilling, such as wavedash. And he wasn't that much of a combo character. Seriously...his bread and butter is nair. And it combos into more nairs. Sometimes some other random stuff, but it's usually really situational and random.

Switched to Flaco. Combos and lasers stun people. And he has shine. Which looks cool. Would rather play Fox, but he was too fast for me noob fingers.

Soon after I actually do switch to Fox, because of the promise of shine combos, infinites, shinespike gimps, etc. And he looks cooler than Flaco IMO. I saw vids like Perfect Control and Perfect Control 2. And videos of people hardcore waveshining Link players across stage into upsmash. Looked hella tight.

And I found the Fox bible (CunningKitsune's Fox Guide). It was hard at first, and it took a good while, but I'm pretty proficient with Fox now.

While I was training Fox, I also tried to learn as many other characters as possible (or at least the ones I thought were cool. I learned Flaco, Link (and Young Link), Samus, Shiek, and Marth. Somewhat learned Puff (mostly just bair spamming and rest out of shield lol). Could never learn Captain Falcon. lol

These days I just stick to Fox. I'm out of practice with my other characters, so they all look like trash compared to him.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I took a liking to Kirby when I first played Melee. (I had no clue who Kirby was at the time XD)

I've been maining him for years. Though, I started using Sheik, Capt. Falcon, and the Jiggs after a while, Kirby is still my first main.

Jan 2009 - July 2009 = Falco
July 2009 - December 2009 = Fox
December 2009 - current = Peach
There were a few very short spans where I'd play Zelda more often than I'd play Peach. Idk if that counts as maining her much

Peach just fits me amazingly well, far better than any other character in this game. I thank ARmada just for playing this character at Genesis 1. I was there

AP Renekton

Smash Cadet
I started by playing Samus before I knew how the game worked and just played it like a buttonmasher.

Captain Falcon taught me the game could be really fast and fun. Then I switched to Falco because he has a gun.

D

Deleted member

i started on roy, and the last time i played, i used roy.

SonOfTheNorthe

Smash Rookie
I don't have a main. I change who I use all the time. I alternate between Pichu, Pikachu, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, Luigi, Link, and Ness. But then again, the only people I have to play against are my brother and my little sister, so I have to change a lot to keep things from becoming stale.

Top Bottom