• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did Ultimate change your main character?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Innitially, before release, we all kind of knew which characters we where gonna main. For me, it'll always be Diddy Kong, and am not let down with him in Ultimate. But I did have a hard time adjusting to a few characters at first (mostly Diddy and Ike). So I almost became a DK main, since he's also crazy good in this game.

But the changes in the gameplay of characters might've made more impact on others. So, did Ultimate change your main? Feel let down with some changes? Speak of them here.

Indecision

Smash Rookie
Yeah absolutely.

I play Falco in Melee and the minuscule amount of time I spent playing Tr4sh I play Captain Falcon. Falco seems good in Ultimate but doesn't feel the way I want Falco to feel and CF seems underwhelming but I'll probably still play him a bit.

I've since picked up Pikachu and Chrom as I like their speed and their aerials.

Brawl ruined Falco for me and Ultimate has done little to repair that

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I didn't really like SM4SH ganon but Ultimate's ganon is viable, he's fun to play.

Kobeskillz

Smash Rookie
I did a lot of captain falcon in smash 4 but here I’m looooooving Ness.

I’m no where near a pro but I beat up 10 straight people using Ness online the other day.

The Cap feels nurfed in this game. Hard to kill.

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
I still play Wario and im happy to see that he got his Wario Land dash attack back.

I gave up on captain Falcon and i have caught an interest on Simon Belmont.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Technically no, well Villager was my most used in Smash Four but Diddy was just nearly as used as she was. In Ultimate I've been using Diddy a little more than Villager this time around(probably cause I did a lot of theme matches with two of him along with Dk and Rool, I couldn't resist since I love Dkc) despite being nerfed he still feels like one of my best characters to choose along with Villager who I'm still good with too, I'm also pretty good with Isabelle since she's similar to Villager of course.

I've been using Jigglypuff a bit more this time too since she's actually quite valuable at least compared to her past two incarnations, I'm trying to get a little better with Wendy but the koopa car still feels somewhat janky so I use her for fun.

I loved using Wolf in Brawl but I'll admit he does feel a little bit odd in Ultimate since they made him lighter weight and his recovery is very short now so he's one of pocket choices nowadays but he's still fun.

Last edited:

Kadji100

Smash Cadet
Yes, I planned to play Ganondorf but I don't realy like him in Ultimate (his sword feels so much slower than his regular smash attack from WiiU).
But Yoshi on the other hand plays realy great, so I switched to him as my main Character.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I'm close to going away from ZSS and back to Link. She's just too light in a game that favors heavy characters a lot. Also, Link's bombs are incredibly fun to mess around with.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Mario looked pretty similar to how he played in Smash 4 and it seemed like he could pull off some of the same offensive shenanigans as in PM, but he just feels...lackluster. Would have gone to my secondary, but GnW feels drastically off too since they trashed his Box fair for what feels like a completely worthless bomb fair.

Switched to Yellow Inkling and never turned back.

What Ganon's Up To

Smash Cadet
I have barely played my traditional mains (:ultluigi::ultganondorf:) at all since there are so many others I've wanted to play, and still more I haven't tried yet.

Chances are I come back to them again after a while, nowhere near decinding on an actual main yet.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Jigglypuff and Zelda are even better in this game but I found myself playing Palutena A LOT. She was already a secondary of mine, but I'm considering maining her seriously.

Syntherios

#MasterChief4DLC
NNID
Syntherios
Switch FC
SW-0693-8607-4207
Ganondorf has been a fun pocket character of mine since Brawl but now that he's actually viable—borderline scary—he might be my new main from here on out.

Nepht

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4207 3323 3722
Been mostly a Kirby main since 64 I love Kirby games. Tried messing about with Mii's in 4 due to custom characters (I like that in games :3) but Mii's have been improved (Nia's wig on ALL the Mii's) Mii Swordfighter is all I use now ^_^

*Of course I did beat WoL with best boi Kirby though.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Unless they buff Little Mac :ultlittlemac: in patches, I will sadly have to find a new main. So far I am loving Simon :ultsimon:

himynameisruss

Smash Journeyman
Yeah absolutely.

I play Falco in Melee and the minuscule amount of time I spent playing Tr4sh I play Captain Falcon. Falco seems good in Ultimate but doesn't feel the way I want Falco to feel and CF seems underwhelming but I'll probably still play him a bit.

i mained falco in melee as well. they changed him so much in brawl and onwards it just feels awkward to play him now, so i won't touch him outside of melee (where i think he's perfect).

MarkedRaptor

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0233-0881-8840
Switch FC
SW-4669-5955-8279
Unless they buff Little Mac :ultlittlemac: in patches, I will sadly have to find a new main. So far I am loving Simon :ultsimon:
I used to main little mac as well because he was the highest risk highest reward character in 4. Now? Nah he has no reward, they neutered his combo game and gave him some measly recovery buffs (He still won't make it back). Doesn't help that this game reduced end lag on all ariels which buffs ariels(which Mac doesn't have).

In 4 I'd say his ground game was a 10 and air game was a 1. Now? 7 and 2. You can just pick someone like chrom who has a better ground AND air game then Mac.

newsuperhackboys

Smash Cadet
My Main in Smash 4 & 5 was Bowser Jr. His clown car is usually filled with weapons like the cannon ball and his Up B. Ultimate gives me Daisy which could be biased since I'm a big Daisy fan but I had fun playing as her. I guess I really like Peach & Daisy's movesets. Toad did get a little upgrade where it stands on the ground as opposed to being held by the princesses. However, Inkling is a close second since they have a decent recovery and a nice Side B. They were almost my main here.

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Not much. I still use Link a lot. Think I prefer Young Link overall though, aside from the weight difference.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I don't actually have a main in this one lol

I just use the characters I've mained in past games, like Wii fit trainer, Megaman, Pichu and Pokemon trainer.

aarchak

Smash Ace
Yeah, I went from maining Shulk and Cloud to Roy and Inkling. I still play the other 2, but Roy's way too fun to play.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
I still really enjoy using all the characters I expected to, but my main has actually shifted to Yoshi. K. Rool and Ike are as good as I hoped, but Yoshi's aerials and movement feel fantastic to use.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I usually adopt a policy of "main or at least secondary one of the newcomers" but none of them have been really clicking for me this time.

My previous mains were Rosalina and Sonic but Rosalina has been butchered in this game to the point where she isn't really fun or intuitive anymore and also suffers from bugs that make her inconsistent, and Sonic, while not quite butchered, definitely feels different and I am still trying to get used to him.

I've been trying more characters and surprisingly my best character might actually be Samus this time. Guess I should get on playing the Metroid franchise so I don't look like a poser. :drshrug:

Azura Ahai

Smash Rookie
I feel like Ultimate Palutena is nearly everything I hoped she would be back when Smash 4 came out. I was super excited for her but her attacks seemed so sluggish and easily punishable. So far it feels like she’s been improved across the board in Ultimate and I could see switching to her from Lucina.

Rexamillion

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
1397 4816 5105
I have not actually play many different characters, I've stuck with the one I'm tried and true with, but you do get me thinking maybe I Should try them more. Like I at first was thinking after every time I unlocked someone I would try them out, but...now that I'm as far as I am I fell from that promise....maybe after I beat the World of Light I'll try doing the Classic mode with everyone after I've unlocked everyone and THNE make up my mind. Cause I DO want to expand my personal roster. I'll get back to you on this.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I switch Bowser with K. Rool as my main in Ultimate as you can see on my profile. :)

I feel like Ultimate Palutena is nearly everything I hoped she would be back when Smash 4 came out. I was super excited for her but her attacks seemed so sluggish and easily punishable. So far it feels like she’s been improved across the board in Ultimate and I could see switching to her from Lucina.
I love how buff our girl has gotten in Ultimate, I'll definitely being playing with her more in this game. :)

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
People are sleeping on Kirby saying he was nerfed but if anything Ultimate buffed him a lot and I easily see myself maining him and him becoming C or B tier.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Been maining Link since N64 and this new Link is mostly the same, but the chamges are significant. Not enough to make me change, but enough that I am having a hard time coping, especially as I haven't had time to practise my fundamentals either.

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
Overall, I'm happy as a clam. My boy :ultsnake: is back and that's all I really need. I didn't play much of :ulticeclimbers: or :ultpokemontrainer:, but I'm really feeling them in ultimate. I didn't know I wanted :ultincineroar: and I adore him. my smash 4 mains :ultike::ultrob::ultlucas::ultkingdedede::ulttoonlink::ultdk::ultwiifittrainer: all feel much better to play, except two. :ultwario:'s bike got nerfed hard, and his dash attack is no longer a combo starter. Overall he got buffed, but his nerfs ruined how i play the character and I'm just not feeling him this game. It's sad, but I think I'm gonna have to drop him.

:ultlittlemac: might be the most irrelevant character in the game, :ultincineroar: and :ultchrom: do his gimmick better. I would say he is the worst or second worst, with :ultkirby:.

Aouzy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aouzy-Hitsuji
I was originally going to play as Daisy, Lucas and K.Rool; but Inkling, Isabelle and Simon really stole the spotlight for me. They're really fun to play and it feels like they were what I was missing all along

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Made him WAY better in the air.

Unfortunately... kinda neutered his ground game...
and made his only good smash, terrible.

Jumpinjahosavich

Smash Rookie
Yeah absolutely.

Yeah Falco has been a lost cause since brawl.. best to have been moved on at brawl. Been 2 games since and it's almost an afterthought for me now until I clip on melee and fall in love with that bird all over again.

I've sinced moved on to DK, dedede, and Mario.

Complex

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3122-7353-2151
Yeah I basically spent all of my time in sm4sh with my boi clout but as soon as i picked him up in ult he felt so much worse. I'm at a crossroads now. There's so many characters. I know I'll be a joker main when he comes out, but until then I just have no clue. I've played everyone. Got elite smash with incineroar but I hate playing as him. I just don't know anymore. Please send help. I don't have a main... I don't know who I am anymore

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
It sort of has. Marth has been one of my go to's since Melee, but I gotta say I just can't seem to get a good handle on Marth in Ultimate's engine.
I used shield breaker and dancing blade a lot in Smash 4, but the way they both work in Ultimate feel very different, and I can't seem to use them to their full effect anymore. I also feel like his jump is different as well, as I can no longer fair to dair consistently anymore in a single jump. I probably just need to practice with him more and adjust to his changes, but for someone who used him in over 8,000 matches in Smash 4, Marth just feels weird to play now.

However, my other main, Ike, remains at the top and I am loving every second of using him in Ultimate.
I'm also still using Link and Ganondorf and I'm actually getting pretty decent with Roy, who was my first Melee main, so I'm kind of coming full-circle in a way. XD

T3RT1S

Level Up!
NNID
pokeLogZ
I use to main Mario but his down throw got nerfed so I’ve lost a bunch of combo potential. I’m seeing how Dr. Mario feels and he’s feeling better then Mario

Uffe

Smash Hero
There are a number of things that they changed for Ness. His yo-yo is a good gimping tool, and his u-smash actually kills. They gave him his old dair back, so now he can spike with that. I was afraid of his new uair, but it's more of a blessing than a curse. PKF seems to do more damage, but it's easier to escape. PKT leads into more stage spikes than it did in Sm4sh. Bair seems deadlier, and nair feels like it has a tad more range. I'm liking the new Ness, but I'm afraid Nintendo is going to nerf him hard, which will upset me, because this might actually be the first time he's a good character for once.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'll always use :ultwario: no matter what, but :ultdoc: has been so much fun that I've been using him a bit more recently.

Top Bottom