• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did "Smashcord" kill activity on Smashboards?

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Most of you people probably already know of the existence of Smashcord servers, which are Discord servers dedicated for specific characters in Smash. There are a bunch of discussions going on in there, ranging from meta discussion to playful talk.

As someone who frequents the Palutena board in the Smash 4 board, however, I noticed that the place has been rather dead nowadays. In fact, it's been dead ever since discord became a thing. Sure, there are SOME discussions going on there, but it's nothing compared to what it was before discord.

My question is, has "Smashcord" killed off a lot of activity in other boards as well, or has it only affected a few boards?

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I sure hope not; I think Smashboards still has a use. Since it's not a chat, posts are more likely to be seen, so it's more useful for serious talk.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Definitely, especially in the areas of character/strategy/meta discussion, which is possibly the worst possible outcome.

Discord is **** for that kind of thing, but ah well what can you do?

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
The issue with this is that conversation about different strategies and character development is much more difficult to view and find when it goes on in Discord. With a forum like Smashboards, you can go back and reread anything at any time, and it's fairly easy to do, but with Discord the most you can do is sticky a post, and if those start piling up it can get difficult to organize.

I think a good solution to this, from an informational standpoint, is to keep discussion in the Discord, and continue to document things on Smashboards for easy viewing. This is what I do with my Melee Bowser Discord server and it's worked well so far.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
The issue with this is that conversation about different strategies and character development is much more difficult to view and find when it goes on in Discord. With a forum like Smashboards, you can go back and reread anything at any time, and it's fairly easy to do, but with Discord the most you can do is sticky a post, and if those start piling up it can get difficult to organize.

I think a good solution to this, from an informational standpoint, is to keep discussion in the Discord, and continue to document things on Smashboards for easy viewing. This is what I do with my Melee Bowser Discord server and it's worked well so far.
I agree that this should be a thing.

However, as a former member of one of the Smashcord servers, I can say with certainty that most servers do not wish to do that (some flat out do everything they can to avoid posting anything on smashboards for some reason). Instead, they make alternate text channels where they can store information in (like a link to a public google doc, vids, etc.). As time passes, this is becoming a bigger thing. The Palu board is anything but alive because of that.

Definitely, especially in the areas of character/strategy/meta discussion, which is possibly the worst possible outcome.

Discord is **** for that kind of thing, but ah well what can you do?
Discord good to have live and quick discussions. But, I do agree that this is bad in that it is hard to archive the discussions, since it's pretty hard to scroll through everything that has been discussed in the chat.

I sure hope not; I think Smashboards still has a use. Since it's not a chat, posts are more likely to be seen, so it's more useful for serious talk.
This is true imo, but people who migrated from Smashboards to Discord seem to think the opposite. A lot of people on Discord just like the fact that they don't need wait for a reply for hours, which is sometimes an issue on a lot of boards here on this website.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Concerning character meta discussion, yes. I've seen such a growth in smashcords lately that it's unreal. However, I'm still gonna be a member on this site for a long time. The boards are nice for calmer, more serious talk, while the cords are better for specific matchup discussion and more casual meta discussion. Discord can still have some good competitive game discussion, but smashboards is better suited for competitive discussion. At the same time, discord is good at starting casual conversation apart from competitive smash discussion. I think both have their uses, and both are good for making the community closer as a whole.

Last edited:

sijon

Smash Ace
Pretty sure it has, I find myself using Discord more often than Smashboards nowadays. But Smashboards has this really chill, nostalgic feel to it that keeps making me come back, even if I don't use it that often anymore.

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
Smashboards has felt empty to me since P:M ended, honestly.

Of course, that's probably just because all I used to do on here was watch its development and lurk on the clone engine thread.

Last edited:

SlickJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlickJ95
The way Discord works though is it allows you to adjusts permissions so that people can read content in certain channels while assigning who can and can't post in those channels.

What smart Discord owners do is they create a channel called resources and post and document things on Google Docs for users to read and see.

It's not the most efficient way of doing things but the advantage is you have hundreds of users per Discord ready to play matches, give feedback, and answer questions. It's much more responsive that way, especially when it comes to matchmaking.

People that think Discord is becoming a problem towards advancing the meta have forgotten or have never tried joining character Skype groups. Aside from loads of technical problems, crashes, bugs, and only being limited to 100 people per Skype group, Skype only had one channel to share and post any info users wanted to share.
-
Unfortunately not all Discords are competent or popular enough to thrive. I receive a direct message from someone on Discord who wanted me to help make a character Discord tier list because he was a random main and not all Discords were helpful, welcoming, or active.

Last edited:

BagrB0y

Smash Cadet
I mean, Zelda melee boards seem to have been dead since ~2012ish, so I can't say from experience

Top Bottom