• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did Inkling turn out to be an underwhelming addition or something?

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
we all recall a few videos and comments where people were hyped for the inkling and saw them as a potentially amazing character that was gonna get some work done and not only be a fantastic addition to smash but fun as hell for fans of splatoon

fast forward to today and inkling is....not really setting smash on fire like many thought they would but what happened?

sure the inkling didn't have the crazy hype train that ridley and k.rool had but she/he still had some level of hype from those who got to play them at pre-release events

yet it now seems like everything's changed and inkling is just a...dud

KatKit

Smash Lord
They're fairly strong, and I've ran into them more than most of the other newcomers online. Regardless, not everyone sticks to the characters they like; some Inkling fans might prefer characters with a different playstyle in Smash.

As the game develops, and people grow more familiar with newcomers, we'll see even more of them being used down the road.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I can't say about how strong the Inklings are. I am so so terrible with them it is unreal. But I am glad they are added, they are BY far my favorite fighter in the game. I will keep playing them no matter what tier placement or whatever they decided to fit them into.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
They're fairly strong, and I've ran into them more than most of the other newcomers online. Regardless, not everyone sticks to the characters they like; some Inkling fans might prefer characters with a different playstyle in Smash.

As the game develops, and people grow more familiar with newcomers, we'll see even more of them being used down the road.
i hope so because to see Inkling and K.Rool fail to meet the expectations people had for them on the competitive scene it's kinda sad

Last edited:

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
I don’t play this character myself but the “radio silence” you’re feeling from the competitive front is literally just the fact that they’re not quite #1 best character in the game settling in, especially with all the other flavor of the week characters like Ike and Peach popping up after every big tourney. I have no doubt in my mind that Inklings have Top 10/5 potential (I’m sure a lot of other people feel the same way), they just haven’t won a big tourney to prove that yet, that’s all.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
I personally love the Inklings. Inkling is my main along with Skull Kid Mii and Mewtwo. They're adorable, they're fun to play, and I bought Splatoon 2 thanks to loving them in Smash (Splatoon 2 is so fun! Though I still want to get Nintendo Switch Online to play online with my friends)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can't say about how strong the Inklings are. I am so so terrible with them it is unreal. But I am glad they are added, they are BY far my favorite fighter in the game. I will keep playing them no matter what tier placement or whatever they decided to fit them into.
This.

They are far from my best, but I am determined to learn, and I'm slowly getting there. I'm gonna keep playing these squid kids no matter what!

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Now if only we had Sakurai as a Squid Research labman like Nogami....'s "cousin" is one.

Inkling is good, but all the good players play them for fun, and the good ones dont go to many tourneys so there arent the statistics to back it up yet, but they are a solid character

D

Deleted member

jeez what happened to this section?....place is super dead
Despite being really good, no one seems to actually be playing Inkling.

They aren't getting the same results or as much talk as Wario and the swordies are because of this. They're a great character, but the skill ceiling for them is super high, so not a lot of people seem to want to learn them.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
Despite being really good, no one seems to actually be playing Inkling.

They aren't getting the same results or as much talk as Wario and the swordies are because of this. They're a great character, but the skill ceiling for them is super high, so not a lot of people seem to want to learn them.
isn't Peach's Learning Curve/Skill Ceiling even higher than Inkling? yet we still see her show up in tournaments

think about it this way
peach is a super technical char kinda like melee fox in some way with less broken shenanigans, smash 4 shiek , and has stupidly good punishes
inkling is like diddy from smash 4 in a lot of ways: a super neutral based char

one of them is highly execution based while the other is more movement/neutral based
peach just has to learn how to do combos and can potentaill get a kill in one neutral exchange while squid has a harder time doing so, but has better movement and neutral options

honestly, this isnt super precise, thats jsut my thoughts on why people chose peach over inkling, adn the references to the prev games are kinda general
you can disagree, and im not even 90% sure this is why

Top Bottom