• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Diamond City Coffee - Wario Social Thread

Inexorable Doozy

Smash Rookie
Hey. I'm a Wario main who's decided to stop lurking, and that solely playing against the AI and randos on For Glory/Fun is agonizing.
I started with Brawl, but only got somewhat serious about getting better at the game when i got Sm4sh.

Unfortunately iv'e never had the pleasure of going up against a consistent human player, online or offline, and i'm hoping to rectify that assuming my internet connection is adequate. And iv'e only got the 3DS version, just in case anyone cares.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I didn't watch any part of Smash 4 EVO aside from the grand finals. Were there any notable Wario's there?

Inexorable Doozy

Smash Rookie
What's the Wario Discord like?

I've been considering giving Discord a try and figure as someone who's new to the community it might be good for me to try and overcome my reservations and get to know other Wario mains.

WRECK-IT MUNDO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
warionino129
3DS FC
4811-8008-0796
What's the Wario Discord like?

I've been considering giving Discord a try and figure as someone who's new to the community it might be good for me to try and overcome my reservations and get to know other Wario mains.
The Wario Discord is IMO a good place to stay. Unlike some other stupid "meme" discords, the Wario Discord is surprisingly more focused about his Meta game, Data, Combo's + Tricks and knowledge. I recommend Discord if you want to give your Wario a shine!

atticusfinch7

Smash Apprentice
Just tried using Wario for the first time in tournament. I won 5/8 games (it was round robin) and got 3rd out of 9 places in pools (unfortunately only top 2 get to advance in pools). I was surprised that I did this well to be honest. Could have done better but I wiffed a vital waft and it ended up costing me a set. Are you warios able to get Nair into Full waft frequently? I feel like I can only get it with half waft (as you probably know full waft comes out a few frames later). The opponent usually di's too far or has time to air dodge. Also, I have a hard time dealing with Ness' Fair. Luckily one of my other characters does pretty well against Ness, but if if you guys know anything useful to share with that MU I'd appreciate it.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Just tried using Wario for the first time in tournament. I won 5/8 games (it was round robin) and got 3rd out of 9 places in pools (unfortunately only top 2 get to advance in pools). I was surprised that I did this well to be honest. Could have done better but I wiffed a vital waft and it ended up costing me a set. Are you warios able to get Nair into Full waft frequently? I feel like I can only get it with half waft (as you probably know full waft comes out a few frames later). The opponent usually di's too far or has time to air dodge. Also, I have a hard time dealing with Ness' Fair. Luckily one of my other characters does pretty well against Ness, but if if you guys know anything useful to share with that MU I'd appreciate it.
Depends on the character but I'm pretty sure nair to full waft is guaranteed on the whole cast in various percent windows depending on hurtbox size and fall speed. Although I do sometimes have trouble landing it on some floaties, their % windows are smaller it seems.

Yeah you have those games where you lose because you missed waft. Every wario player has been there. It sucks, but that kind of variance is part of the character. But you'll also have those games where you win because you land the waft in one of those situations where you're at 130 and they're at 30 last stock.

Yeah, Ness's disjoints give Wario issues. I don't think it's un-doable by any means, but it's a matchup I'm confident Wario loses.

Last edited:

vertime

Smash Apprentice
I made a Wario background for 1920x1080 if any of your Wario Mains wants it. I made a bunch of others too but if ya'll don't want that here, that's cool I'll keep that link to myself.

WRECK-IT MUNDO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
warionino129
3DS FC
4811-8008-0796
I made a Wario background for 1920x1080 if any of your Wario Mains wants it. I made a bunch of others too but if ya'll don't want that here, that's cool I'll keep that link to myself.
This.... Is actually Great! He slightly reminds me of Wario's model in Brawl, thanks to the Urban style you gave to him. BUT the most important part is GO!
And this one has GOOO!!!

vertime

Smash Apprentice
This.... Is actually Great! He slightly reminds me of Wario's model in Brawl, thanks to the Urban style you gave to him. BUT the most important part is GO!
And this one has GOOO!!!
Hey thanks man. I'm trying to do one for every character. I've got Fox, Cloud, Lucario, Mario, Mewtwo, Wario, Captain Falcon, Little Mac, both Samuses and Lucas done.

I think the Wario and Fox ones are my favourite, Lucario's a close second.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So there was a Nintendo Direct today. Thoughts on it?

I'm actually semi-sort-of excited for Mario Party: Star Rush and Mario Sports Superstar. I doubt I'll buy them, but Mario Party is looking to be better than I originally thought. Sports Superstar looks nice since we finally have another Mario soccer game (though still not the same as strikers). Mario Maker for 3DS looks cool, though it's sort of pointless if you have the Wii U version.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So... uh... how has everyone been doing?

WRECK-IT MUNDO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
warionino129
3DS FC
4811-8008-0796
Waiting for the next Wario Land to come out of course. It's been 8 years and we still got no stupid clue.

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
The only Wario Land games I ever played were the first one and the second one, I never got the chance to play the others it would also be cool if they released a new wario land game for the switch.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
what do you think about wario in the current meta
Pretty irrelevant unfortunately. He's on the lower end of mid tier. Most high level wario players have been inactive or dropped him. Or are just struggling against DLC.

Cloud's emergence and popularity killed Wario's meta in my opinion. Atleast as a solo main. That MU is terrible and Cloud is the most popular tourney character by far. Hard to play Wario with so many Clouds around and everyone having pocket Clouds. DLC in general really hurt Wario. As well as him not getting any buffs during patches and falling behind other characters.

As it exists I feel like he's atleast viable in most matchups but they tend to be mostly evenish or slight disadvantage, and you need a secondary for some MUs.

Here's to hoping for buffs in the Switch version.

Last edited:
Top Bottom