• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Chaco

Never Logs In
Night action heavy games get so tiring as a mod, and chasing activity, etc. I think one of the best games I played role wise was Adumb’s FF game and EE’w Soidermanfia that I replaced into

Rajam

Smash Champion
Random question: does someone know how (and if it is possible) to insert line breaks in posts? Something like:

but nicer?

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
I don't think they have that option on here. I use underscore:

Edit: oh I see that's what you used as well, it's just harder to see the breaks when it's white

Last edited:

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Some thoughts I shared on Discord to do with attracting new players:
you know i checked the front page of smashboards for once
when i was looking for details on the maintenance
and i saw they have a list of 'hot' threads or whatever
and my mafia game was on there
which i think goes some way to explain
why sometimes theres a lot of people viewing the game thread
even some names i dont recognize at all
because people are randomly seeing it on the homepage?
Im wondering if in future
it would be worth including a kind of explainer / intro to dgames
in the op of mafia games
so that people who just see the game thread
(often our most active threads)
can figure out where to go next or how to sign up etc
I mean, I kind of like how close-knit the feeling is in dgames
but its hard to argue that we have been not been taking in new people from a long time
outside of the influx of people from other places that were already playing mafia
I mean, I think I like a lot of the newer people we have
which I understand is broadly the xkcd refugees
they seem to be committed to the game and are thoughtful, well-spoken
maybe it's a mistake trying to attract the wider smashboards audience, I don't know
I just thought it was something worth a discussion
I think this idea was generally well-received, but I'm posting it here for reference and in case of further discussion.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
As a follow-on from the above, I wanted to re-write and update the OP for the introductions thread to make it clearer and more relevant.

So I would like you guys' feedback on the following:
Welcome to Decisive Games

This sub-forum is for more serious strategic games which take place over many days. Most games require you to sign up beforehand. The main game which we play is Mafia, aka Werewolf. If you have any interest in these type of games, feel free to introduce yourself or ask questions in this thread.

What is Mafia?

Mafia is a social deduction game where two teams try to eliminate each other. Mafia players know who their team-mates are, and can freely talk with them in private. They are also able to kill one player during each Night phase. Town players only know that they are town, but they have the advantage of superior numbers. By talking and debating during the Day phase, Townies will look to find the Mafia, while Mafia aim to blend in and avoid suspicion. During the Day phase, all players may vote on who they think should be eliminated; with enough votes, a player will die and their alignment (Town/Mafia) will be revealed. Day and Night phases continue to alternate until one team is the winner.

For more general information about the game of mafia, the mafiascum.net wiki is a good resource.

Joining a game.

If you wish to join a game, please look for a thread asking people to sign up. If you cannot find one, you can express your interest in this thread or the social thread, as there can be gaps between different mafia games. New players are welcome, but please understand that most games last multiple weeks, and signing up is a commitment. If you are undecided about joining a game, asking questions here or browsing some of our completed games can give you more information on what to expect.

Hosting a game.

We currently use an informal system for hosting mafia games. If you are interested in running a mafia game, we would prefer if you suggest the theme or idea you have in our 'upcoming games' thread or in the social thread so that other players can know what to look forward to, and to avoid conflicts with existing plans. If you wish to host a non-mafia game, first please check whether your game is better suited for the Forum Games section. If not, then we would be happy to hear about it! Games such as Ricochet and Diplomacy have been played here in the past.

Further Questions?

Just ask.

Last edited:

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
also spoiler tags seem to be slightly borked on smashboards, i tried to wrap a spoiler around bolded text and it got confused. details: I highlighted all of the text, then clicked the spoiler option, entered no title, ended up with two spoilers with the bolded text separated from the rest. you can manually fix the spoilers, but the option to insert them isn't working quite right. example result follows.

Shopping List
French Dressing
Eggs
Cheese
Tomatoes
Basil
Salt

N.B. also having an issue where submitting a post/submitting an edit sometimes sends you to a blank page.

Last edited:

osieorb18

Smash Ace
Forums and forum mafia are on the decline, particularly in the second derivative.

That said, we may be able to advertise to a degree.

Last edited:

Chaco

Never Logs In
In my experiences it was people just asking others to join and try it out always, never really a wonder in on your own. Is anyone here active outside of DGames? If that’s the case they might be able to ask some people to join in on games if they think they’d like mafia. Tom got me playing and then quite a few others came from the part of the board that I was active in. But I think that could be a good way, and then run Newbie games as needed. Mafia culture is to hard to just jump into, around here, for new players I think.

I would mod a newbie game at any point it needed to be done. I think a lot of people would. But very articulate good players would have to be the ICs. I wouldn’t make a good one. Lol. Was never that type of player. But that way they get a good fundamental grasp before they go into all of our derivative styles

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Yeah, I remember Dastrn IC'd in my newbie game and I learned so much about scumhunting by how he picked apart the scumteam lol.

Chaco

Never Logs In
That’s the only problem we will run into with new players here is that most people here have at least played for a few years. Don’t get me wrong though, I’d love an influx of new players. Allows larger games, multiple to be ran, and just diversifies the player base.

Like I’m making a 14p game right now, and it’s like dang how long will that take to fill. Lol

Edit: If there isn’t enough interest in Newbie games to be filled, it also might do good to have Newbies hydra with a Vet. Might be the best alternative to allowing them to be coached and learn the game at the same time.

Last edited:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I was thinking of hydraing with a newbie to teach them the basics.

bessie

Smash Journeyman
Kary I like having new players they keep the game interesting and if they stick around they become veteran players.

I like the idea of having a newbie game once or twice a year. Like, a real newbie-friendly game. We had what was supposed to be a newbie game on xkcd that was like the second highest content level game I ever played, all the newbies were wiped out early, and one of the returning veterans that wanted a casual game to get back in to it couldn’t take the content level and he dropped out too (note to self, still need to make Newbie New Year my next project).

In my experiences it was people just asking others to join and try it out always, never really a wonder in on your own.
Chaco, interesting, I think on xkcd most players were forumites that wandered in to the mafia forum. We had a public spoiler thread like Xivii’s Oasis Green Room and following along is what attracted me to the game. I think that some of the flavor games also attracted people to the mafia forum. I want to say LaserGuy found us because we had a Wheel of Time themed mafia game but maybe it was plytho. (and LaserGuy LaserGuy , Xivii is fixing up my Brooklyn 99 mafia files those should be ready soon).

I don’t have any experience with hydras so I can’t really compare, but we had a newbie mentor game on xkcd that worked out well. The mentors were there to advise and discuss the game with their mentees but didn’t actually play, like do analysis or anything like that (they were also available to replace because unfortunately newbies replace out a lot). Mentoring is also a great for people that don’t want to commit to playing a game themselves to still be involved with the forum, since there is no public spoiler thread.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Right. Mentoring is something that could definitely be done, and something I’ve noticed that is probably needed around here as well. Not only does it get them acquainted to the game, but also the community as well.

But yes, when I first played mafia I was recruited by Tom to play. In 2008-2009 I was heavily active in one of the largest sub forums on the board which was Online Tournament Listings, and it had a “social thread” that was basically birth of all the social threads here. Quite a few OTL regs ended up playing Mafia but most have faded out now, I think the only one I see active now is Xivii, who was Zen then. But back to the point, DGames members came into the social and made friends and basically how we got intertwined. I wanna say that Tom was basically the boost that got the community at it’s largest here.

#HBC | marshy #HBC | marshy What was the other forum that J, you, and I played on about 6 years ago? We intertwined communities with them as well, much like I hear with XKCD?

But yeah if we could get enough volume and interest newbie games are definitely the move to boost the community and get everyone acclimated. But mentor sign ups until then would definitely be great.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
But yes, when I first played mafia I was recruited by Tom to play. In 2008-2009 I was heavily active in one of the largest sub forums on the board which was Online Tournament Listings, and it had a “social thread” that was basically birth of all the social threads here. Quite a few OTL regs ended up playing Mafia but most have faded out now, I think the only one I see active now is Xivii, who was Zen then. But back to the point, DGames members came into the social and made friends and basically how we got intertwined. I wanna say that Tom was basically the boost that got the community at it’s largest here.
Yep, first game I played was with KevinM and Junglefever in the Disco Room. They were the scumteam and raked over town. I was hooked right away and Jungle informed me there was a whole subforum dedicated to it. Then I did the same thing with J who was Jbandit at the time and a wee little thing.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Yep, first game I played was with KevinM and Junglefever in the Disco Room. They were the scumteam and raked over town. I was hooked right away and Jungle informed me there was a whole subforum dedicated to it. Then I did the same thing with J who was Jbandit at the time and a wee little thing.
Dang Jungle, has he been active at all in years?

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
i randomly bumped into jungle on some website or client like 5 years ago. we were like holy **** long time no see, then i left. was a flash

chaco i remember playing on serenesforest with you, gorf, soup, and jexs. i am actually hopping into an upcoming reunion game with them set to start in a couple days

Chaco

Never Logs In
i randomly bumped into jungle on some website or client like 5 years ago. we were like holy **** long time no see, then i left. was a flash

chaco i remember playing on serenesforest with you, gorf, soup, and jexs. i am actually hopping into an upcoming reunion game with them set to start in a couple days
It was JeXs not J, that’s why I was confused. but yep, it was sereneforest. That’s wild, bro. Good on you though for keeping up with em.

bessie

Smash Journeyman
BoomFrog BoomFrog Do you have the dog avatar you used in Newbie New Year? I have the Ultimate BoomFrog Genius avatar but I'd like to sub in the dog since it was discussed in the game.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
also spoiler tags seem to be slightly borked on smashboards, i tried to wrap a spoiler around bolded text and it got confused. details: I highlighted all of the text, then clicked the spoiler option, entered no title, ended up with two spoilers with the bolded text separated from the rest. you can manually fix the spoilers, but the option to insert them isn't working quite right. example result follows.

Shopping List
French Dressing
Eggs
Cheese
Tomatoes
Basil
Salt

N.B. also having an issue where submitting a post/submitting an edit sometimes sends you to a blank page.
Still having this issue with formatting, and also having other issues with formatting doing weird things while writing role PMs. It seems to be automatically inserting extra BB code tags for font/size etc. for every paragraph/line, even when the formatting is the same for consecutive lines, is I think what is happening?

edit: i will try and elaborate/explain it again.
If I wrap a whole post in one formatting tag, say a font, then later I edit that text, add a few line breaks or similar, when I check the BB code again, I will find the tags have multiplied themselves excessively and redundantly, making the BB code obnoxiously hard to read or edit.

Is this potentially something that has changed/broken during maintenance Strong Badam Strong Badam Pokechu Pokechu or who should I be asking? Thanks very much.

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Still having this issue with formatting, and also having other issues with formatting doing weird things while writing role PMs. It seems to be automatically inserting extra BB code tags for font/size etc. for every paragraph/line, even when the formatting is the same for consecutive lines, is I think what is happening?

Is this potentially something that has changed/broken during maintenance Strong Badam Strong Badam Pokechu Pokechu or who should I be asking? Thanks very much.
I think this is mostly an administrative problem, that's why I didn't respond before. Apologies!

Really I think it's a Warchamp07 problem LMAO because he's the main one who keeps up the site I think. But code/formatting errors are out of the measly moderators' hands. So, I propose that we bark up the grey gang's tree together!!!!

Yeah, Badam!!! You too, Third!! WOOF WOOF. Fix the site!!!!!

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer

Its essentially real time mafia but instead of discrete "phases" you have kills and voting phases as cooldowns that players use to advance the game. Super simple summary is this:

Game is best played with 9-10 players for a 7 v 2 or 8 v 2, town to scum ratio. Scum are called "imposters", town are "crewmates." Scum are informed of each other's identity at game start. The crewmates win one of two ways: eliminate all imposters via voting them out (all players participate in a voting phase, where no lynch is an option, whenever a dead body is discovered and subsequently reported by any player, OR when a player uses the "emergency meeting" button which is usually only available to each slot once per game and can be temporarily disabled by scum using their abilities) OR by completing all of the little mini-game "tasks" that are assigned to each of them throughout the map. If all players complete all of their differently assigned tasks, town will win without having to eliminate all the imposters.

Imposters win either by achieving parity, OR by causing the crewmates to fail to complete a "super crisis" type task that they can cause to occur on a cooldown and which usually requires the cooperation of atleast two crewmates to avert. Imposters have the capacity to complete the "crisis" tasks that they generate (as a pocketing tool), but cannot actually complete the "normal" tasks that are assigned to the crewmates, so they must fake that they are completing tasks to avoid standing out. This is easily accomplished because where the tasks are located is easy to see and your character model doesnt actually do anything when you are completing tasks, all the interaction is done on the player's side only.

So basically if you're town you run around the ship completing tasks as fast as possible but also keeping and eye out for others and checking locations for dead bodies. The actual gameplay part of the game is like one giant night phase as all discussion is prohibited. It is only when a body is discovered or someone calls an emergency meeting that players can openly speak in voice/text chat and determine who to yeet. Plurality vote takes.

Also, and perhaps most importantly, it's 100% free on phones and is only $5 on steam. Totally worth the buy imo, playing with mouse and keyboard is such a better experience and obviously makes playing through discord way easier

Last edited:

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
generally speaking Im usually free wednesday nights and sunday nights, idk what others' schedules are like but yeah if theres a good day that works for a lot of people I'd be down to host some games this week or next

Handorin

Smash Hero
Oh hey, I just mentioned this in the Discord channel too. I'm in. Basically anytime other than Monday night I'm fine.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I misread that as

Maven has lost 50% of his Dgames right now.

Last edited:

Madge

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! It's me! The famous Madge! Bessie has bribed me with Survivor buffs to make an appearance. Is this the equivalent of Gojoe? I'm so lost. I'm working things out. I need an avatar! And a light theme!!!!

EDIT: okay, I have changed my avatar and changed to a light theme. I'm in the zone!!!!

Last edited:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Welcome Madge! I use dark theme. Therefore you are my nemesis. This isn't the equivalent to Gojoe, this is a general social thread. So it's not tied to any specific game. Yet Xiivi / Zen hosted a game with a similar mechanic!

Oasis Mafia
Oasis Green Room (Gojoe Equivalent)

Last edited:

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Hey Madge, good to see you! It is the equivalent to the Gojoe thread in the sense that it's the social thread.

Also, how does light theme not burn your eyes!?!

Last edited:

Madge

Smash Rookie
IDK, in the tradition of mafia players everywhere I play at work, and a light theme looks more work-adjacent than the dark themes do. If anyone has any suggestions for what themes most closely resemble spreadsheets, word documents, design drawings, or google maps, then I'm all ears.

Top Bottom