• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
No, but I do know that we all play games with one-sided reporting built in place that promotes frivolous behavior like passive aggressiveness.
It’s still a crappy situation when someone got overzealous and you did nothing wrong.

My mom works as a nurse and I know enough of how bad it can get when they handle situations like this.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
then they aren't bae!!!
I thought about this some, and the bottom line is, I'm not good at keeping friendships when situations change and I never have been. And when these are people that I don't know in person, and I really only know from playing mafia? I don't have the first idea where to start on getting in touch with someone like that. There are a lot of people I miss from back in the day. It's refreshing to see the occasional familiar faces. But I don't expect the past to come rushing back.

And on top of that, I'm a person who's either shy or private about myself in the first place. How many people on this site still mistake me for a woman? I expect most people don't know my age, or where I'm from. Who exactly is going to want to keep in touch with Kary, when Kary is only a username after all?

Basically, I feel like this community evaporated several years ago, and that's the end of it. As much as I might like to salvage parts of it, the thing that kept it together in the first place has gone. And I do miss people, but in a way, that's something that just happens in life.

Maybe, I don't want to try reaching out to people, because I don't want to fail, or be rejected. I still check this website on the regular, and no-one has reached out to me. Maybe I don't want to call up bae, because I don't think I'm really good enough.

In the end, I came here to play mafia. And that's where I'm comfortable because I understand how it works. Real life stuff? I have no idea.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I thought about this some, and the bottom line is, I'm not good at keeping friendships when situations change and I never have been. And when these are people that I don't know in person, and I really only know from playing mafia? I don't have the first idea where to start on getting in touch with someone like that. There are a lot of people I miss from back in the day. It's refreshing to see the occasional familiar faces. But I don't expect the past to come rushing back.

And on top of that, I'm a person who's either shy or private about myself in the first place. How many people on this site still mistake me for a woman? I expect most people don't know my age, or where I'm from. Who exactly is going to want to keep in touch with Kary, when Kary is only a username after all?

Basically, I feel like this community evaporated several years ago, and that's the end of it. As much as I might like to salvage parts of it, the thing that kept it together in the first place has gone. And I do miss people, but in a way, that's something that just happens in life.

Maybe, I don't want to try reaching out to people, because I don't want to fail, or be rejected. I still check this website on the regular, and no-one has reached out to me. Maybe I don't want to call up bae, because I don't think I'm really good enough.

In the end, I came here to play mafia. And that's where I'm comfortable because I understand how it works. Real life stuff? I have no idea.
I think you just need a big ol’ hug.

Everyone, we must defeat Kary’s cynicism with love! :love::love::love:

<3 Kary!!! :love:

Last edited:

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
wow bro i thought what we had was special

but Asdioh Asdioh is a crazy sleeper pick, i remember picking him up from green room mafia and being cool as ****. good times

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
Tag Evil Eye Evil Eye and you might get lucky on that one. I miss Circus a bunch though.

Asdioh too, I wonder what he has been up to?
Same with Frozenflame, Camo-man, mentos man, and McFox

Edit: I bet I could get Spam_Master back in here for a game too.

Last edited:

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
somebody gotta get McFox and the whole McFam to stop in and say hi
I remember playing that zombie Agame with McFox, and dude was known as McRambo from then on, cause dude was so trigger happy. lol

How do you tag people? He doesn't seem to be showing up with just the @ sign.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Flynn is the protagonist of the 1982 science fiction action-adventure film TRON

the grid is a digital frontier where people can do cutting edge research and or ride dope light cycles

i am bad

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
Flynn is the protagonist of the 1982 science fiction action-adventure film TRON

the grid is a digital frontier where people can do cutting edge research and or ride dope light cycles

i am bad
I am worse.

I was like...”how much has changed since Gideon left?!”

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
damn yo the mayling family

this subform has mad history

lets throw in tblock, praxis, and edreecespieces too

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I feel so nostalgic right now reading this.

All I am doing so far is trying to save as much money as possible on my end while working as I do.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Sup old timers.

I know a lot of you are Mega Man fans -- I've been running some speed running events on my discord (link here: https://discord.gg/62qsW9r ) and am now hosting a Mega Man Maker level design contest + race.

If you're interested, here's the rules for the contest: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Zbkz3zZ_BxoD0X-uh_7EibmGZNgRrN1kgqSvErBn6kI/edit?usp=sharing

Life updates:
I've basically continued speedrunning in my free time on twitch.tv/Overswarm. I just recently got sub 30 in Zelda and am getting random WRs for fun in tiny games and categories at the moment. I play a few modern games when I can, but generally don't stream them. (Just started Sekiro and it is great). I had a goal of getting a check from Twitch in 2019 and received it a while ago and am somehow up to 25 subs, which is fantastic and more than I thought I'd ever get given my streaming schedule and game choices.

I've been hosting "Learn Fast" races for a several months now on Sundays at 9 p.m. EST where I reveal a hidden game, people practice for an hour, then race that game. It's been fun. Challenging due to the massive skill disparity and game preference between entrants, but fun. Has been getting a few people more into speed running.

My twins are a bit over 2.5 and they're a nightmare and also great depending on the day. Wife and I will be married 5 years this Friday, have our finances all on track for being debt free in a year or two if we want.

Still do gamedev on the side in my spare time when I *can*, but it's very difficult to find time. My quickly made and mediocre VR game made about $3k in profit, but games in general are hard to profit off of unless they're good or polished so it's difficult to find motivation. Working in teams has resulted in a team member disappearing the moment the work gets difficult or requires responsibility 100% of the time, so it is a solo fly now. I've thought about trying for crowd funding to get more reliable team members, but that's a job in of itself and I'm not super interested in it.

I set up a business plan for a mafia-like detective game that would involve being sent a box of fake police reports, real satellite imagery / coordinates, video recordings of "suspects" and incidents, etc., with the intent of solving a murder / theft mystery. I'd like to work on it more but I have a habit of not wanting to spend significant money (see: paying someone to record themselves reading a script and creating physical materials to ship) when I'm not 100% confident on something and I don't have the time to devote to it that I'd like. I also hate marketing and that would be 90% of the success of a product like this. It's a tough nut for me to crack as marketing involves spending money and, in general, being openly deceptive in order to take people's money. I can be deceptive in mafia, but for taking money generally a no-no for me.

I played Ultimate a little bit but Ultimately didn't buy it for the Switch. Smash isn't that fun for me casually unless I'm playing IRL with friends and they all own it anyway. Plus I'm too old to be beating up on 15 and 16 year olds in tournaments nowadays. :D

Hope everyone else is doing well. I was the "old guy" when we started this in my mid-20s and now we're all old so that's funny to me.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Nice to see you, Old Timer! Good to see you're as busy as ever and that you're deep in that family life.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
If I've got a game that's not mafia that I'm kicking around hosting, do I have to sign up for a queue?

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Wow DGames is like a snapshot of Smashboards' past, cool that this place retains people so well.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Feels like Smashboards is super into Mafia though. Like outside of Mafiascum, where on the internet is there such a dedicated and long standing community for it?

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Feels like Smashboards is super into Mafia though. Like outside of Mafiascum, where on the internet is there such a dedicated and long standing community for it?
Theres hundreds. Theres a thread now about choosing the Smashboards rep for a tournament repping 169 communities.

The community where you play becomes the main draw of the game, really. DGames is home.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
That tournament sounds like an awesome concept.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I think that part of it could also be that in Mafia, you have to closely read and understand the people you are gaming with. You have to wrap your head around their personality.

So it probably creates a special, subconscious closeness compared to most forum activity.

Top Bottom