• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Dude walked in and sat on your homework/study material with no care at all.

Boss.

Also, hella points for cuteness.

Last edited:

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
19 days into 2019 I decided to start playing mafia again. 19 days into 2019 I was noticed and invited into a Discord server. 19 days into 2019 I discovered that they were role sharing in a mafia game as a small group. 19 days into 2019 I managed to inquire about the value of playing mafia when the roles are already known to a select group of people making it a game within a game. 19 days into 2019 I managed to get kicked out of Discord and feel like I wasted 19 days giving mafia a chance. 19 days into 2019 I have reaffirmed to not play mafia again.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
"What is this guy's problem getting so worked up over cheating. Everyone is doing it. It's just mafia."

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
"What is this guy's problem getting so worked up over cheating. Everyone is doing it. It's just mafia."
You shouldn't have to deal with that ****. It strikes me as the shared fridge of mafia problems. It's one thing if you all agree to pool your groceries, it's quite another when people steal your dinner without any shame. I hope you have more luck in the future.

Last edited:

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Would be neat if the new Spiderman movie plays on the meta trope of there being too many super hero movies therefore resulting in each super hero being a disposable entertainment outlet. Is your friendly neighborhood Spiderman disposable? I don't know, I guess it depends which one you are talking about. Sort of love the possible parallels with the new characters comic book origins and how it could play into how the recent Marvel movies have been pretty heavy on special effects to draw in the audience.

Last edited:

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
kingdom hearts 3 comes out TOMORROW but im stuck at a STUPID WORK CONFERENCE until FRIDAY and now i wont be able to save the WORLDS FROM DARKNESS for THREE WHOLE DAYS a lot can happen to the world in three whole days

ill be fine but i sad also punctuation is a social construct

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Really looking forward to fighting against Eeyorenort. Probably going to waste my time grinding the boss fight with seemingly endless trial and error, but I'll let you know how it goes.

Disclaimer: this is a joke

Last edited:

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
#HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu Disney/Square Enix basically pumping out games to make enough money to create high quality products like The Last Jedi & Final Fantasy 15. They are basically like your 15 year old who steals their dad's credit card in order to burn through money like it's nobody's business and then realizes they will get caught so they buy their dad a $5 gift to cover up a 5 figure credit debt.

giraffelasergun giraffelasergun Please let me know if there is DLC, microtransactions, or loot boxes in this game.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
#HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu Disney/Square Enix basically pumping out games to make enough money to create high quality products like The Last Jedi & Final Fantasy 15. They are basically like your 15 year old who steals their dad's credit card in order to burn through money like it's nobody's business and then realizes they will get caught so they buy their dad a $5 gift to cover up a 5 figure credit debt.

giraffelasergun giraffelasergun Please let me know if there is DLC, microtransactions, or loot boxes in this game.
I’m not a fan of pumping out movies or games like call of duty style, even if I give a pass to Pokémon doing it.

It makes it over saturated so it makes it less fun to pick up a new title. Though not always the case. If Pokemon does new gen into next year remake that is A-OK with me. What I don’t like is sun and moon into Ultra Sun and Moon even if I like the new content. Should have just been DLC imo.

As for last Jedi, eh. I was ok with it and still am but I totally get why people hated it. The one that made me dislike the newer movies was Solo because that didn’t feel like the other movies and gave me little worth.

Main problem with all of the newer star wars movies is that they want to roll with what they throw at you without explaining anything. Why is Darth Maul still alive? No idea and they never tell us why. Same with other stuff and just it not feeling like a movie I should care about.

With Kingdom Hearts, after the 3 I played I have no idea what is going on. Literally no idea what is going on with that convoluted plot. It wants to be complex but it’s needlessly confusing. Octopath Traveler has 8 short stories, technically kind of connect with each other. But it’s easy to understand. I’ll take that over what Kingdom Hearts has done. Keep it simple uniess that complexity adds something.

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
tbh I don't think I ever really paid attention to the story line in a lot of the Kingdom Hearts games. Part of it was I never got around to Chain of Memories, Dream Drop Distance, and the mobile game so I missed a lot of plot holes. I started playing DDD recently though and they seem to have a journal entry pop up after a cut scene that references something important that happened in a previous game, so maybe that'll be the case for this one? But the story is definitely too convoluted for a game where the 2nd most important character is Donald Duck.

#HBC | Acrostic #HBC | Acrostic The optimist in me has assumed that this game wouldn't have micro transactions, but I'm sure the trend of microtransactions in games is much larger than I think.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
It depends on the company with what they will do with microtransactions. Also the series, since sone directors don’t want to touch them while others embrace them.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Fingers crossed that I will be able to buy an ultra cool DLC Donald Duck costume for my own viewing pleasure at the small cost of $5.99.

What's that annoyed look on your face pointed at me for? Don’t be hatin’ just cause my parents can spoil me with munny and yours don’t.

Oh yeah, shamelessly plugging since I will be streaming ('cause why not) from now until 10:00pm CST if anyone wants to join the chat and make fun of me. www.twitch.tv/bardull

(I'm keeping commentary at a minimum for THE EMERSION but I'll speak up if you say hi in chat. :D)

Last edited:

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
guys it's actually just a regular plot told in a piecemeal way, with every single game being relevant to that plot (and bringing a handful of retcons to the first game that make it fall in line with the second game)

and in 3 (so far) it's been a completely straightforward affair that's very direct about every prior plot element and how they connect and why they matter

and there's going to be a single purchase for any extra playable content in probably a year from now, with any small things that do come out being cosmetic things like cat ears for your keyblades

not that acrostic is serious anyway

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Bard, you should play Daughters of Ash if you're not already planning to. It's a real good time.

Dude, I love DS1 and the randomizer mod (and good mods in general), so I will check it out and stream it.

(I don’t think I’ll ever get big on Twitch but I figure I may as well stream (albeit it’s embarrassing running with 1 concurrent viewer at all times LOL but whatever)).

Relevant: https://clips.twitch.tv/DeterminedPluckyAppleCorgiDerp

Last edited:

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
#HBC | Nabe #HBC | Nabe It wasn't a retconn because KH 1 came out in 2002, Chain of Memories (CoM) came out in 2004, KH 2 came out in 2005. A retcon would be if KH 2 came out earlier than CoM, therefore making CoM's purpose to tie the plot between the two games. That's not what happened. CoM likely came out as a financial decision as it is cheaper to make a GameBoy Advance game than a PS2 or PS3 release. Due to production costs and time investment, they knew that their flagship series e.g. titular Kingdom Hearts games couldn't be shipped out every 1 or 2 years which was undesirable because they realized the massive income potential that the games had cashing in on young adult nostalgia, children, and casual gamers.

With the success of CoM receiving a lack of backlash, they realized that they could more or less script anything without much narrative or character arcs. Pad the story out by throwing in Disney worlds and basically shill on people who are indentured gamers. People who commit more serious crimes are found to have had a prior history of committing minor misdemeanors before hand therefore making the act of committing more egregious offenses easier when they the punishment does not register to them. In a less severe example, test markets are there to introduce fringe products and basically assess how it's received by the public. When CoM didn't generate concern that the series was diluting its own plot with worthless crap B plots, the KH engine began to roll out more and more ridiculous ideas knowing that people no longer cared and they had a dedicated return on funds. Basically Kingdom Hearts at this point is a machine that generates dollar bills every time you press a button for it to eject a new game. When it doesn't matter whether the new game actually has any intrinsic quality to it, they are just going to press that money making button every chance they get until they ruin the series.

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
#HBC | Nabe #HBC | Nabe It wasn't a retconn because KH 1 came out in 2002, Chain of Memories (CoM) came out in 2004, KH 2 came out in 2005. A retcon would be if KH 2 came out earlier than CoM, therefore making CoM's purpose to tie the plot between the two games. That's not what happened. CoM likely came out as a financial decision as it is cheaper to make a GameBoy Advance game than a PS2 or PS3 release. Due to production costs and time investment, they knew that their flagship series e.g. titular Kingdom Hearts games couldn't be shipped out every 1 or 2 years which was undesirable because they realized the massive income potential that the games had cashing in on young adult nostalgia, children, and casual gamers.

With the success of CoM receiving a lack of backlash, they realized that they could more or less script anything without much narrative or character arcs. Pad the story out by throwing in Disney worlds and basically shill on people who are indentured gamers. People who commit more serious crimes are found to have had a prior history of committing minor misdemeanors before hand therefore making the act of committing more egregious offenses easier when they the punishment does not register to them. In a less severe example, test markets are there to introduce fringe products and basically assess how it's received by the public. When CoM didn't generate concern that the series was diluting its own plot with worthless crap B plots, the KH engine began to roll out more and more ridiculous ideas knowing that people no longer cared and they had a dedicated return on funds. Basically Kingdom Hearts at this point is a machine that generates dollar bills every time you press a button for it to eject a new game. When it doesn't matter whether the new game actually has any intrinsic quality to it, they are just going to press that money making button every chance they get until they ruin the series.
I'm referring to straightforward retcons of KH1 continuity made in subsequent games, including KH2. I wasn't referring to games themselves as retcons.

CoM GBA is a good game. The assets are all new and nice; the battle system is very enjoyable and designed towards the platform. It allowed Nomnom-chan to introduce the new group of antagonists prior to the second game, and they also used the ending to age the protagonist.

You can certainly look at game production from your sort of perspective, but I think it's more enjoyable and reasonable to like what you like.

Dooplissity

BRoomer
BRoomer
Any good games coming up soon? I'm thinking of trying Mafia again.
Can't speak for anyone else, but Vult and I have a PyP nearly done, and TK and I are mid-development on an inaugural Paranoia. Both should be really good. The PyP is focused on uncommon roles, and making sure the PRs are always good rather than being rock-paper-scissors-y, and nobody here has played this forum adaptation of Paranoia yet aside from TK and I, so it should be pretty novel to everyone here.

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
nobody here has played this forum adaptation of Paranoia yet aside from TK and I, so it should be pretty novel to everyone here.
How do you know what forum adaptations of Paranoia I have or have not played?????????????!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Dooplissity

BRoomer
BRoomer
How do you know what forum adaptations of Paranoia I have or have not played?????????????!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Were you on NS2 for the ones I ran, or on BGG for Sparky's? I don't recall you being on NS2, and I know MagMag referred me to BGG, so I guess it's possible you were there, but I was in those and don't remember you being in them...

Last edited:

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
KH3 Arendelle spoiler(not really a spoiler but it would probably be more fun to not know this scene was coming before it does)
I can't believe they just took the entirety of the "Let It Go" scene from the movie Frozen and stuck it into the game, with random shots of Sora, Donald, and Goofy in the background. It was both super lazy and really funny at the same time

I've been having fun sometimes with the game. The form changes are all really fun, and I like that they have essentially taken out backtracking. But the cut scenes are all really long and feel like they're about literally nothing at the same time. I probably had the most fun in Tangled. Also the game is really pretty.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
giraffelasergun giraffelasergun Not surprised, the Disney boardroom... I mean "Testuya Nomura" is just recycling the idea that the Disney arcs are useless padding to artificially lengthen game time without actually contributing to one of many, many B plots that each individually have close to no significance in closing out the overall story. Kind of hilarious though that I made my statement without having any exposure to this game and yet collective consensus among reviewers is that the format of the first 3/4 of the game contains little to no significant plot elements with the last 1/4 being heavily centered around developing elements tied into the B-plot. Also, I like how there was a rather blatant comment from Nomura that the Final Fantasy characters from KH-1 were there as a "kind of feature" stating that their purpose in the original series was to serve as bait so they could attract consumers and then switch them out with established KH characters once the series got running.

Last edited:

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Nobodies Meeting 358 Creatives/2 Companies: Maleficient's Floating Castle

Disney Creative A: You know Bob, we talked it over and the Disney team wants a change in how you guys do the Disney worlds.
Square Creative A: Oh hey Tim, alright, shoot.
Disney Creative A (pretending to be a human named Tim): Disney is a little concerned that we present this game in the most socially appropriate light. So we're not sure how "Keyblade bashing" some of our villains would come across to the public.
Square Creative B: That's a good point. We don't want to be seen as actually promoting villain bashing as that would be socially inappropriate.
Disney Creative B: So me and Tim actually want you guys to provide your own "heartless" villains instead of beating up on Disney villains. Because our intellectual property is well recognized, but we don't want it to seem that just because you're a villain you deserve to be beaten.
Disney Creative C: It might be taken as discrimination! Just because you're maliciously different doesn't mean you're asking to be abused!
Square Creative C: Oh of course not. That sounds awful and because your inappropriately framed argument sounds like a bad situation, I sympathize with your case and also it's a win, win because we have so many, oh so many disposable characters.
Square Creative D: Yes, they are all disposable. But, we have to make sure we don't throw away Organization 13 characters too soon because we could still recycle them for a later game or save them for end game content.
Square Creative E: The art department drafted so many, oh so many heartless designs that I'm sure we could just go through the "UNUSED HEARTLESS BOSSES" from KH1 and just use them in this game so we don't have to worry about paying them overtime and we can still meet the deadline once we head these designs over the graphics.
Disney Creative D: That sounds like a wonderful idea. Accounting definitely approves.
Square Creative E: With this game wrapped up, we have to talk about ideas for Kingdom Hearts 4 on the agenda.

Last edited:

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I apologize for my previous statement about Final Fantasy characters not being present within the game. Apparently they will be given a greater plot presence in the main storyline across three different DLC patches that are each going to be priced at $20.00 USD.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Wasn't the whole point of Kingdom Hearts that Disney characters were mixed with original and FF characters? Reducing Disney relevance sounds ridiculous, and I haven't even played any of the series.

Top Bottom