• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Its weird seeing other people talk about dabuz. Good **** Dabuz you getting recognized.

Vult Redux

Smash Lord
NNID
Voluero
^ i KNEW I recognized the name!! seeing you guys talk about him made me remember

not relevant but w/e: if anyone wants the green room link for PYP lmk and I'll hook you up. it'll be a fun game to watch!

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
How can you guys browse SWF regularly and not know dabuz is one of the best players in smash 4? 0_o

:059:

Last edited:

Vult Redux

Smash Lord
NNID
Voluero
^ in my case i meant that I knew him as a smash player but I had forgotten that I'd played mafia with him before haha. I don't remember which game(s?) though, must've been forever ago

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Worked a stretch of nights at a plastic factory in the industrial ghetto

Felt like I was a character in Condemned: Criminal Origins exploring that spooky-ass place. which was worse... Never saw a security guard in those games that wasn't a dead body.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I'm unemployed again. Should be getting paid another dollar an hour and having to drive 20 less minutes in the mornings come next week.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Thinking about booting up another round of twisted fate mafia with some adaptations made to thw set-up. Probably not until Ran's game is running though.

:186:

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Running the TWEWY concept requires far more people than we have currently playing mafia. It's also not complete--I gave it up awhile ago when I realized I wouldn't have the numbers and I didn't want to downsize it. I could probably create enough of the roles and try again if I wanted to but it wouldn't come close to the idea I had in mind and that deters me from doing it.

Since you're probably curious: I wanted the game to be able to last 7 days a la a Reaper Game and in order to do that, I need 15 people at least, more if I were to include a Taboo Noise Independent or other killing roles in the game. That'd be pushing it in current DGames environment but it seems doable. The problem is, I didn't want 15+ people, I wanted 15+ hydras. I felt that the best method of capturing the spirit of teamwork and working with a partner was to force every slot in the game to become a hydra as a symbol of the pact between players. I don't think DGames has ever done a 30 player game before--hell, AiB only did at the height of mafia's popularity there and even those games were riddled with inactivity. While I could just axe the hydra part and run it, I still think it's too ambitious. 15+ seems too much for this place now.

I don't even remember the Neighborhood game. That was probably the Durarara themed one based on the concept of the gang wars in the show (Yellow Scarves vs Blue Square vs Dollars vs Izaya's Gang vs all the other ****ing new ones introduced in the second season). That one lasted for a day and then I scrapped it for being too unrealistic.

But, honestly, I just really like the set-up for Twisted Fate Mafia. It's easy to run, variable enough that you can run it multiple times and still not get the same thing twice, and I prefer the randomization system for it over any other variable open/semi-open I've seen off Mafiascum's open set-ups.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
What is it about Twisted Fate Mafia specifically that makes it interesting to run twice or more? I know I played it but I can't remember much about it Embarrass

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
It's PYP but with a randomization factor. scum pick from a variety of modifications (changes to the NK, changes to the traitor, power roles) and for every change mafia makes, town gers an additional PR.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I'm sure D1 starting over again in Time Travellers is a top moment. From my perspective. A game where everyone was a lyncher for marshy (which was very frickin interesting until it was revealed and I lost interest after).

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
also was going to mention a girl from NC is coming up to see me (from liking my FB photos) and I forgot you guys live in the south but not NC

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm sure D1 starting over again in Time Travellers is a top moment. From my perspective. A game where everyone was a lyncher for marshy (which was very frickin interesting until it was revealed and I lost interest after).
lol I totally forgot about that

http://smashboards.com/threads/time...nics-rarely-used.307357/page-77#post-13155576

3,080 posts until the end of D1. The entire game ended on post 3,771. 81.6% of the game was D1.

also, those roles

http://smashboards.com/threads/time...e-travel-mechanics-rarely-used.307357/page-95

Reading them now I'm laughing because of how complex time travel is AND I DID IT ANYWAY

what a nut I am

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I can't play mafia anymore.

I really want to but I'm just no longer capable of dealing with the same poor arguments over and over and seeing mob mentality beat solid arguing skills.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm telling you guys, the trick is to put money on it.

Solves all the problems.

$5 entry to play, roles known in advance but which you will get are unknown. 12 enter means $60.

Money is earned by mafia for winning the game (you win = $ earned / mafia members)

Money is earned by Town by gaining a high score. Score is determined by sending in your list of "who is scum" from most to least likely, with points being granted for each one that is correct. If there are 14 players and the first on your list is scum, you get 14 points. If the last person on your list is scum, you get 1 point. At the end of the game, the town members with the highest score win.

"Boo hoo, they didn't listen to my arguments" doesn't matter if you consistently do well with voting.

Mafia wins? Top 3 town members get their money back ($5 each), 3 mafia members get $45 split between them -- $15 each.

Town wins? Top 4 town members get paid. $15 each for doing well with town.

The game is still played, every town member is trying to figure out who scum is and is literally putting their money on the line each Night phase.

Only potential drawback is dedicated cheating, but that's not too hard to solve. Ban players found cheating and have a bounty for anyone who catches someone cheating would go a long way.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Yes that was a very fun game. You should host a new one and I might consider joining because you can never have too much mafia.
Working on too many projects.

VR development
Master's classes
real-world work
researching business ideas
twins being born soon

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Oh right. I'm unemployed and I need to do something but right now I'm going with the flow. I need to re-read some stuff Acrostic told me about jobs and stuff.

Good stuff OS

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
I can't play mafia anymore.

I really want to but I'm just no longer capable of dealing with the same poor arguments over and over and seeing mob mentality beat solid arguing skills.

str8 up play at a site where the quality of players are better. its not the game #trust

speaking of which, the mafia finale will begin in a couple of weeks, august 15th. ill be linking y'all to a thread once its made.

edit

I'm telling you guys, the trick is to put money on it.

Solves all the problems.

$5 entry to play, roles known in advance but which you will get are unknown. 12 enter means $60.

Money is earned by mafia for winning the game (you win = $ earned / mafia members)

Money is earned by Town by gaining a high score. Score is determined by sending in your list of "who is scum" from most to least likely, with points being granted for each one that is correct. If there are 14 players and the first on your list is scum, you get 14 points. If the last person on your list is scum, you get 1 point. At the end of the game, the town members with the highest score win.

"Boo hoo, they didn't listen to my arguments" doesn't matter if you consistently do well with voting.

Mafia wins? Top 3 town members get their money back ($5 each), 3 mafia members get $45 split between them -- $15 each.

Town wins? Top 4 town members get paid. $15 each for doing well with town.

The game is still played, every town member is trying to figure out who scum is and is literally putting their money on the line each Night phase.

Only potential drawback is dedicated cheating, but that's not too hard to solve. Ban players found cheating and have a bounty for anyone who catches someone cheating would go a long way.
implying reads are worth more than the ability to convince the majority that your read is right completely ****s on the point of mafia.

if i nail scum in 5 pages, gallivant about how i KNOW these people are scum, and do it in such a way that town is actually convinced IM scum, i played a ****ty game regardless of if town winds up winning. you honestly just need to play with players that dont ****ing suck, which realistically means people that arent ****ing stupid. sorry not sorry, thats what it boils down to.

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
if i nail scum in 5 pages, gallivant about how i KNOW these people are scum, and do it in such a way that town is actually convinced IM scum, i played a ****ty game regardless of if town winds up winning. you honestly just need to play with players that dont ****ing suck, which realistically means people that arent ****ing stupid. sorry not sorry, thats what it boils down to.
I'm aware -- I've said the same thing in the past.

The point still stands that you can only convince people to vote for scum when your read is correct in the first place -- and that gathering information allows you to have more accurate reads. The biggest issue with mafia is that people typically don't put in the effort. They enjoy the game, then take a brief break, have 30 pages to catch up on, and then miss out on a lot of the game. Many become inactive or just become followers. It becomes a mess dealing with it when you yourself are being an active player. My first game, TMNT mafia, I won in lylo as a solo scum after a guy got modkilled for being inactive for a loooooooooooong time (I would have won anyway).

The trick to making people care is to have them invest time into the game. Money does this.

You do need to convince people, this is true -- but if you can't and mafia win, top 3 town gets their money back.

If you can, and your reads are correct, then you get even MORE money. Because town wins, so top 4 get paid $15 each in the standard 12 man game.

Star players with perfect reads = guaranteed money back

Star players with perfect reads who are able to lead town to victory = more money than they entered

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
imo a person with wonderful reads who sucks the **** at convincing town of those reads (ie has worse social skills) played a worse game than the guy who was able to convince town of his wrong reads a couple of times while STILL being universally read as town. hell i find that the guy who listened to guy 1's message and carried it out in a way that gets everyone to lynch that scummy a better play than the guy with the original read.

"quality play" in mafia is so subjective once you get past the players that dont know how the game works and the players that are just less intelligent than what is necessary for a mafia game when it comes to social deduction skills. making it a money-based game is so ridiculously tough because when it comes to money, **** needs to be clear cut and objective. im not alone in the way i think. i know that for a fact. ee isnt better than kuz at reading players but hes the better player cuz he plays a better social game.

Top Bottom