• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
For the RPG fans out there (like #HBC | Joker #HBC | Joker ), I'm blitzkrieging a FFVI mod called A Brave New World. Two friends and I divied up the characters between ourselves and we're going to play through the recently released update. It is a rebalanced and remastered version of the original game and I love it.

http://twitch.tv/gsryker
I was familiar with Brave New World, but had never played it. The recent update popped up on my radar tho, and I was actually considering giving it a whirl myself.

Go with the "clean language" patch. It may not seem like it's necessary, since we're big kids who are allowed to use bad words, right? NOPE, the guys who made this are actually terrible at writing, even if they're wizards with game mechanics and balance! The amount of cursing they added is ridiculous. It was so bad, that tons and tons of people complained about it, so they made a clean version called Clean New World (which is included in their download). Just patch it over the default BNW game. Every single person I've heard from who played it without it, eventually added the patch because it's so, so terrible.

Last edited:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I've played through it before. I think Relm is hilarious in some places with it, but Kefka is ruined. They're by far the two that are most changed with the patch.

The changes to game play though. Holy **** ****ing amazing.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Hey guys, I've got a little predicament right now. I was playing trumpet in my church orchestra and got up at greeting time like normal, and a special needs kid I don't know super well comes up to me and asks if I could be his boyfriend. I say no because I'm not gay, but I'd be more than happy to be his friend. He seemed confused repeated the question, so I repeated my answer. After that he pulled out of his pocket a 2011 reprint of the 1881 Garfield dollar. He hands it to me so I could examine it, I look over it a little bit, and try giving it back to him.

Unfortunately, he refuses to accept it and says I should put it in my pocket because I'm poor. If it was a quarter I'd have no problem with taking it and saying thank you so much (since it would have been worth so little), but he talked about that coin like it was super valuable to him. I respond that I'm not very poor (I'm in a middle-class family) and offered him the coin again, but he responds with something to the effect of "take your time thinking about being my boyfriend." I correct him yet again saying that I'm his friend not his boyfriend and tried to give him the coin a third time, but he gets frustrated and tells me to put it in my pocket. I see no other choice without upsetting him, so I say thank you a lot and put it in my pocket. He smiles, says goodbye, and walks off to his seat. I still have the coin but I feel like it's a either a bribe to be his boyfriend, or he actually meant just being a normal friend and since I said no the first time from not understanding his intent he though he had to bribe me to be his friend.

I would be happy to be his friend, but I would feel immensely guilty if he thought he could (and had to) buy my friendship. If I go return the coin to him he could be offended because I'm returning a gift, if he asks me if I would be his boyfriend again and I have to turn him down he might start getting upset, and if I keep it I'll have to live with a guilty conscience of taking money from a nice special needs kid whenever I look at that coin. What should I do?

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
keep the coin and flat out ignore him for the rest of his life. that lil ****ers gotta learn the hard way that nobody actually wants to be his friend, and tell his mom buy him a dildo as a boyfriend.

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
I mean, probably don't do what Gorf said.

Just hang onto it for church days and give it back the next time he asks, if he does. Or don't, because it sounds like he wanted to give it to you. But don't feel that you're disadvantaging someone who forced something onto you, that's not how life works for any person.

Maven89

Smash Master
The guy probably doesn't understand what boyfriend even means, so I wouldn't worry about it, if anything give the coin to his parents if you see them, he might think it's an insult if you hand the coin back

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
I was looking through some old stuff and let this be a reminder that the stuff you put on the internet when you were 12 is almost always funny when you look back at it.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm going to host a melee house tournament prior to my twins arriving

but I can't decide:

Best of 1, 99 stock matches

or

Best of 3, 33 stock matches

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Definitely Best of 3, 33 stock matches. That way if one person is clearly better, it would only be 66 stocks instead of the full 99.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Cheerilee Cheerilee

No homo: I'm extremely touched by the thought. Did not expect that

The one saving grace of being accustomed to the exact edge of financial apocalypse is that while despair feels inevitable it really does hit you softer if it's old news.

Sho nuff, with my most recent tax interview and the glacier-paced incompetent HR people Ive been quietly despising have finally started giving me the time of day... Y'know a whole 3 months after but whatever lol

****'ll work out, just ain't gonna be easy. But that's coo. Never pans out easy for me; and :bigmuscles: are built by struggle after all. Or something I dunno

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Cheerilee Cheerilee No homo: I'm extremely touched by the thought. Did not expect that The one saving grace of being accustomed to the exact edge of financial apocalypse is that while despair feels inevitable it really does hit you softer if it's old news. Sho nuff, with my most recent tax interview and the glacier-paced incompetent HR people Ive been quietly despising have finally started giving me the time of day... Y'know a whole 3 months after but whatever lol ****'ll work out, just ain't gonna be easy. But that's coo. Never pans out easy for me; and :bigmuscles: are built by struggle after all. Or something I dunno
I think you're exceptional and it's unfortunate that you're going through hard times. I've always thought of you as being a type of Bruce Wayne: physically fit, well educated, and successfully wealthy. Albeit without the grim and dark personality and instead a very affable type of character. Basically you would be on the short list to be a leader in a zombie apocalypse scenario. To distill all this, I respected and still respect you. I don't extend that comment to many people and I genuinely believe you are an exceptional person in the world as far as I know of you within my limited view of the world.

I don't know how things fare in Canada. However, I know that in America we've burned through our contingency plans. We're working well over a 40 hour work week with people working min. wage jobs averaging around 60-80 hours a week, both spouses are now working, and we're burning a hole through the debt market via credit cards and our loan system. Everyone is hurting and trying to get a chance to succeed. And even when they are given small chances, they are expected to perform at such a high level that it's possible to fail and go back to Step 1. People aren't leaving jobs and are working later in their years meaning young people who graduate with debt don't readily have a position to fit into or fill for at least ten or more years.

All this just emphasizes that everyone is struggling and even the exceptional may not get the opportunities they deserve to shine. However, despite the struggle being real, it means it's even more important to stick together. Not necessarily to your family or your bros, but to other people who are really trying to get on their two feet. Because people are genuinely trying in this world and it's pretty messed up to pretend that it's not happening or to empathize with someone when you could be there the next day.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
.....I think I might have gotten a job, guys

One that will involve a lot of working, making serious bank. Serious bank.

And with the possibility of further training to further my career... including the possibility of moving into bodyguarding.

until I hear otherwise I'm deciding cheerilee's well-wishery and kind words are responsible cuz karma or something

also I was gonna like that post but somehow it seemed egotistical. There are no words for the flattery levels, though, and I'm sorry to hear about how things have gone. It seems (I say this hesitantly, because I count on nothing and no one anymore) like I might get some luck finally, but it was a long bumpy road and can still go wrong.

Here's hoping somebody tells Cheerilee they need someone to pay obscene amounts of money to for thoughtful social/interpersonal commentary and ask if he knows anyone that might be qualified or something

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Evil Eye Evil Eye Gain and maintain. Proud of you.

Hopefully I can find send out my resume by next week before spring ends and I'm competing with a mob of college graduates. Btw, I've been back for a week. I was able to structure a curriculum with three schools where I'm taking: Anatomy, Physiology, Medical Terminology, and Biochemistry over the summer for credit. It's funny how you try to get in touch with these people on a Monday with all the paperwork completed and they get back to you on Thursday trying to rush you to finish supplementary documents by Friday when they don't email or call you back for three days.

I want to emphasize this point. It's important to always quickly respond to these people no matter how latent they are when they give you an initial response because you're not sure how much they will lag or how congested the system is that they have to work within. When I quit the program, I waited a month and a half for a refund check and emailed the financial office, the coordinator, and was about to email the Dean that it had been 15 days and I still hadn't gotten any confirmation response on when the reimbursement was coming. I needed the money desperately because I had health complications that made eating very painful and 3/4 of the fee would go towards those bills. Then I had to schedule around 6-8 visits because there was a concern that I would develop tolerance to the anesthesia and be in extreme pain if they tried to do too much at once. Also, they can't just book you for an 8 hour appointment, so that took two weeks to get fixed.

It's not weird Evil Eye Evil Eye to not depend on other people, but at the very least I believe that people need to do the things in life that empower and enable them to believe in themselves.

Last edited:

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
I'm sure people already know about these sites. But if you're a student please try to google your required textbooks on Scribd or Google Docs. With Scribd site the books are all scanned in as a pdf file that you can scroll down in your browser if you are concerned about downloading viral software.

Last edited:

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Shortly afterwards I received a request to do paid tutoring for Biology. I also emailed my Biochemistry professor for an advanced copy of the syllabus to look at a month before classes, he gave me the syllabus and then informed me that I didn't have a registration. Funny because the admissions counselor told me over the phone, "No problem, I'll save you a seat." Which I took to mean, "I'll register you into the system." Which apparently was not the case. Lo and behold the professor gets back to me and informs me that I'm not registered for his course and leaking the syllabus to me as a non-University student is taboo.

Evil Eye Evil Eye It's true man. You can spend hours trying to deal with people, but you can never trust them to do their job for you.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Other people's incompetence has actually given me a serious D up the B-hole more times than I can count. Or just the sheer, unacceptably sluggish pace of bureaucracy....

Ugh mang. This time last year, I was writing a test for a job with the Justice Department I was so desperate to get I drove like 400 miles to another city. It had taken them months to even inform me I'd been selected to write the test. Never ended up getting it, but I also wasn't certain whether that was the case until about six months later, when I assured myself even government bureaucracy doesn't work THAT slow.

Now I'm liaising with three different companies that all do different kinds of security work and all gave me the footdrags for months and months and months and months. And I just know whichever one I end up dumping (as I can definitely only juggle two at most) is probably gonna give me some kinda crap for it, ignoring the fact that they've been... dragging their feet, for an unacceptably ludicrous length of time, and I got bills to pay.

It's weird because I'm more or less on the cusp of finally really fixing up my situation, and yet still have so much annoying BS to deal with ahead of me. But I can patch together a living while things stabilize and I figure out what exactly my life is gonna look like in the near future. I'm trying to plan for the company I just got hired with, the really great one, taking up to another 2-3 months to get back to me, despite that I'm writing up my paperwork for new hire. Which I was procrastinating too (got it yesterday), so I appreciate the reminder!

@Cheerliee that is some just ludicrous bogosity.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
EE, bureaucracy is your friend.

There are two groups of people: Skilled and Unskilled.

In any scenario, you want the "Skilled" in your employ whenever they have a positive result. This is most decent paying work.

Most people are Unskilled.

Bureaucracy serves as a roadblock -- this splits the two groups of people (Skilled and Unskilled) into four groups:

Skilled + Perseverance
Skilled + No Perseverance
Unskilled + Perseverance
Unskilled + No Perseverance

If you have to do ridiculous **** like wait 17 days to hear back, fill out 4 forms in triplicate, and drive in for an interview that should be done over the phone, this remove ALL of the "skilled + no perseverance" and "unskilled + no perseverance".

More importantly, it removes those people *first*. The "Skilled" and "Unskilled" is checked *second*.

This gives "unskilled" an advantage as long as they have perseverance.

Given that the difference between "Skilled" and "Unskilled" is relative (no one is universally "skilled", depends on who they are compared to), this is a very good thing for someone who has a chance for ending up in the "unskilled" category.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
My aim messenger keeps ****ing up and then I'm forced to use the aim web.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
OS I want to take your advice but I don't really understand it or how it applies to me, outside of "you can show MOXIE and GUMPTION"

I'm extremely skilled and educated in the security field, and I have all my silly little slips of paper to prove it. It's just a rough economy with a lot of meatheads competing for the same jobs as meatheads like me that actually have a brain to go with it. It's also a very general field that could be considered unskilled if you're thinkin in terms of your underpaid bar security dudes staring at their phones all night, as opposed to for example a small team needed to keep a labor dispute from erupting into a riot with a 20:1 ratio of dudes to guards

I've tried to do that stuff a lot, and bureaucracy seems intent on getting annoyed with you for not sitting quietly and waiting for them to give a damn. Phone interviews will be conducted over the next few weeks? Okay, well, maybe I can give her a call in some lagging late morning hour, just to check out the off chance that she is free, in which case why not get mine out of the way? I got gatekeepered up and down the block. Virtually every job I wrote a test for in a big room full of people had block letters in bold telling you not to call, email, anything whatsoever to follow up on your application because they'll only contact those they choose to hire, period. In the hypothetical you just mentioned, driving to an interview that was "supposed to be done on the phone" would in 99% of scenarios result in me being turned away and them feeling either minorly or majorly inconvenienced depending on how jerkbutty the individual I deal with is

Maybe it's different south of the border, I dunno, or different in certain areas of private sector. In Canada, bureaucracy is mud you swim through at whatever pace suits the density of it on a given day. No faster or slower.

Last edited:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Like I just read it over again and I"m actually a bit thrown by your grammar there... seems like the post is simultaneously written from the POV of HR bureaucracy and yet also my own at the same time. You mixin' metaphors bro???

Overswarm

is laughing at you
OS I want to take your advice but I don't really understand it or how it applies to me, outside of "you can show MOXIE and GUMPTION"

I'm extremely skilled and educated in the security field, and I have all my silly little slips of paper to prove it. It's just a rough economy with a lot of meatheads competing for the same jobs as meatheads like me that actually have a brain to go with it. It's also a very general field that could be considered unskilled if you're thinkin in terms of your underpaid bar security dudes staring at their phones all night, as opposed to for example a small team needed to keep a labor dispute from erupting into a riot with a 20:1 ratio of dudes to guards

I've tried to do that stuff a lot, and bureaucracy seems intent on getting annoyed with you for not sitting quietly and waiting for them to give a damn. Phone interviews will be conducted over the next few weeks? Okay, well, maybe I can give her a call in some lagging late morning hour, just to check out the off chance that she is free, in which case why not get mine out of the way? I got gatekeepered up and down the block. Virtually every job I wrote a test for in a big room full of people had block letters in bold telling you not to call, email, anything whatsoever to follow up on your application because they'll only contact those they choose to hire, period. In the hypothetical you just mentioned, driving to an interview that was "supposed to be done on the phone" would in 99% of scenarios result in me being turned away and them feeling either minorly or majorly inconvenienced depending on how jerkbutty the individual I deal with is

Maybe it's different south of the border, I dunno, or different in certain areas of private sector. In Canada, bureaucracy is mud you swim through at whatever pace suits the density of it on a given day. No faster or slower.
If everyone has those silly little slips of paper, you aren't skilled or educated in relation. If everyone doesn't have those silly little slips of paper and are getting hired before you, your slips of paper aren't relevant in that scenario.

The importance of perseverance is that if your odds of being hired are 1 in 12, you are likely to be hired by attempt 13 or 14. Those who take only 2 or 3 attempts fail.

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
People don't mind being bothered when you are going to give them money. People mind when you are requesting a job e.g. getting money from them.

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Anatomy
Physiology
Medical Terminology
Biochemistry
September/October GRE

500 hours clinical patient experience (not counting 90 hours of training + passing clinical testing)
Paid Tutoring Bio 102: Basic anatomy & Physio by Systemic Anatomy + Plant Biology/Systems

Actually kill me pls.

Last edited:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Anatomy
Physiology
Medical Terminology
Biochemistry
September/October GRE

500 hours clinical patient experience (not counting 90 hours of training + passing clinical testing)
Paid Tutoring Bio 102: Basic anatomy & Physio by Systemic Anatomy + Plant Biology/Systems

Actually kill me pls.
No, suffer. It builds character.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I was researching Dietrich Bonhoeffer and came across this:

"The whole world will vilify us now, but I am still totally convinced that we did the right thing. Hitler is the archenemy not only of Germany but of the world. When, in few hours' time, I go before God to account for what I have done and left undone, I know I will be able to justify what I did in the struggle against Hitler. God promised Abraham that He would not destroy Sodom if only ten righteous men could be found in the city, and so I hope for our sake God will not destroy Germany. No one among us can complain about dying, for whoever joined our ranks put on the shirt of Nessus. A man's moral worth is established only at the point where he is ready to give his life in defense of his convictions."

~ Hermann Henning Karl Robert von Tresckow, July 21, 1944

These were his parting words to a good friend right before committing suicide so he wouldn't be executed for the failed execution of the July 20th Plot (an assassination attempt on Hitler). Powerful stuff right there.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
whats this?!

http://youtu.be/HwFRFGSGv2M

oh snap its the intro to a television show pilot that gorf and garg are working on! whats that? gorf and garg created, conceptualized, and wrote it, garg animated it and gorf composed the music for it?! thats crazy! and GORF VOICED RODRIGO?! THAT'S HILARIOUS!!!

Top Bottom