• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Hey any tech peeps out there?

My computer has an issue where if I give no input for EXACTLY 5 minutes, my FPS will drop like a rock. Think 2-3 FPS. This is especially obnoxious when watching videos, as you might imagine. Audio remains fine though. Drivers are up to date. Help?

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1751418/framerate-drop-minutes-interaction.html

google op

other things it could possibly be:

gpu performance downclocks automatically after 5 minutes of idle

a virus (rember.exe will randomly max out gpu usage and significantly lower frame rate during idle)

temperatures randomly rising for no reason

background applications ass ****ing ur comp for no reason

power supply not having enough output or perhaps it stops putting out as much energy after 5 min of idle

also if you recently changed hardware you may need to install new drivers or change additional hardware to accommodate new hardware

run some anti virus stuff too

worst case scenario, reset your PC to manufacturer conditions to solve the problem

Last edited:

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Ive ran antivirus stuffs. I've kept Speccy open to monitor temperature. I've monitored background applications. It might be my battery? :(

Ashemu

Smash Ace
man i was just thinking about diddy king and then realized potassiums name is probably potassium because of bananas.

huh

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
and the symbol for potassium on the periodic table is K, which is the first letter of his old name

Dixie confirmed

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
on the subject of Kantrip, I recently learned that "cantrip" is a word, which got me wondering if that's what Kanty derived his original name from.

I always figured it was a cheeky super contraction of "can't trip" or something. Because Brawl and Diddy and bananas and so forth.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Things like that remind me that I have a large vocabulary gained from reading voraciously from elementary school through highschool. Tolkien books and several others that capture the same essence have served me well.

Maven89

Smash Master
on the subject of Kantrip, I recently learned that "cantrip" is a word, which got me wondering if that's what Kanty derived his original name from.

I always figured it was a cheeky super contraction of "can't trip" or something. Because Brawl and Diddy and bananas and so forth.
i thought "cant trip" was a reference to the tripping in Brawl

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I don't know where else to put this, so I guess I can just put it here. Also wall incoming, so I'll just put it in a spoiler so people that don't play mafia/aren't interested can just scroll by.

Long version: I've been talking with other DGamers both current and retired, and we all agree that there is a pretty big problem with the DGames community, and it's ruining the game for both new and old people left and right. We don't get nearly as many new faces as we have DGamers either taking a long hiatus or just quitting mafia altogether because of how they're treated in games, how games here work in general, or just because they got tired of how the community acts. Where the community stands currently, I'd recommend any smashboards user that comes up to me and shows any interest in mafia to play their games on MafiaScum instead of DGames, because the community here is not suited for newer people (especially with people that just signed up on the forums thanks to the alt situation).

Here are MY thoughts on this after talking to a few people:

1) Nicknames: Xonar/Ramses, Kantplay/Kantrip, Bardull, Alex, PJB, etc. When a new player joins games, they see these names and just get confused. It's a simple fix. Just put the Username next to any nickname in parenthesis or viseversa. Potassium (Kantrip) would work wonders for newer players. This will become especially important if DGames as a whole transitions out of the #HBC names, as this was way more of a problem when people like me were using names like Masquerain but being called Joey. Fixing confusion is part of making newer players feel welcome.

2) Meta: I've talked to others about this, and the games we play involve a lot of meta. A majority of the reasoning we use to town read or scum read someone is based on meta, which of course is expected considering how our community is at the current time. This is especially daunting for a new player. They come into a game, post their thoughts on my slot, and are told that it's wrong because regardless of how right the new player would be if it wasn't me, flip flopping multiple times is something I normally do as town. I'm not saying that we should lynch every person that did one thing bad, but at least put more pressure on them for it and ask questions in order to find the true motive behind what they're doing instead of just saying "meta town" on these types of things. It takes more effort, but at this point we need to start doing things to progress the community instead of just taking the easy way out. Not only does this make things better for newer players, but when people like me actually start improving because we can start playing as better townies instead of learning how to play to our already developed meta, we can feel satisfaction in getting better.

3) Inside Jokes: I didn't think about this until other people brought it up, but this is a thing too. #HBC and how we generally treat each other in games (calling each other idiots/****ing morons/stuff like that) amongst others. Some of these things we all think are hilarious or they're just normal for us, but that's not the same for newer players coming in. They see the #HBC wagon forming on them, and they claim straight up instead of asking questions because they're suddenly at L-1 at the beginning of the day expecting to be lynched. They think we all really dislike each other because of how aggressive we are to one another in-game, or they assume that our personality in-game = our personality out of game, which is a huge turn off for joining the community as a whole. Why would I want to talk to someone that spent the whole game calling all of those people ****ing morons? If inside jokes are going to be such a huge part of our games, than they need to at least be explained to newer players (Props to Laundry for explaining Gova face to SmashFox. Stuff like that helps people feel like they're welcome in a community).

4) Critique and Explaining Things: We don't critique one another anymore regarding our play. People joked about how Ranmaru would ask people to give him advice on how to improve constantly, but the reality is that he shouldn't have to ask. Considering how small our community is, we should be going out of our way at least every few games to improve one another's play so that we feel like we're improving and have a desire to get better and stay devoted to games instead of feeling like we're being read the same way in every single game and we can't figure out why. If there is any critique at all in our current game, it's in shout outs, but shout outs tend to have a very small/general focus on one bad thing or they're just focused on late-game. Things are forgotten pretty easily if they're smaller (but smaller things still important to a newer player and even more-so for older players). You have people that are playing horribly but all they get is "Why do you think THIS is townie again?" or "Vote: Player #HBC". Laundry stated this nicely, but regardless of what your opinion is of x or y, we probably need them in order to keep signups going at the pace they're currently going (which is still way slower than desired). If someone is playing horribly, tell them in a non-mocking or sarcastic way how their play seems scummy and let them argue it out with you. Not only will you get a better read on the player, but they'll take something away from it and it makes us look better as a community.

5) Social Thread/Out of Game Community: The trolling and the really socially heavy discussions we have here just go on for too long. The problem isn't that we're having these discussions in general, the problem is that the discussions go on for 5-6 pages of 40 ppp, making the social thread be most active during these discussions. I've talked to old and new DGamers that don't post in the social because they can't chime in due to awkwardness/being uncomfortable or due to unfamiliarity with the topic at hand, and that includes me sometimes. Due to how heated the topics get, it's awkward for a new player to come in and post something about themselves as an introduction, and as a new player, I definitely wouldn't want my first social post to be my opinion on the sexualization of Bayonetta. It'd be fine if they had to wait a few hours, but these discussions can go on for days! Also, if you hate a fandom/group of people, don't try to start arguments with why their fandom/group of people is weird in the social thread of all places, but if you do, don't take it far enough to where you're offending anyone that is anywhere near close to that fandom/group of people. That should be really straight forward, but for some reason it's not. We're trying to get new personalities into our games, not segregate people out of DGames.

6) Advertise: Any advice on this? I'm too tired to think of ways to advertise because it's 4 am and I've spent way too much time writing this, but we really need to start advertising DGames as a whole. Not too many people know that we exist, and if they do, they have no idea what this actually is and they just stay away from this because it's not a smash-related board. Maybe linking our games that are in sign-ups in our signature if we post on other parts of Smash Boards?

7) Introduction Thread: My last thought is that we need an introduction thread for newer players to talk about themselves a bit. It doesn't take up too much space, and considering how we use our social thread at the moment, I really don't feel that it's consistent enough for newer players to post introductions in here. I'm honestly not sure why we don't have one to be honest considering the fact that we're just as much of a community (maybe more) as all of the other boards here that have introduction threads.

I wouldn't be bringing this up at all if I didn't feel if it was a big problem, but we've lost some really cool people from our community (not just mafia games) because of how our community acts. The amount of newbies we're getting is small, and I honestly doubt many of them are going to stay because of how our community is. We have problems filling sign-ups for 14 man games. I feel that we would much rather attempt to fix this than attempt to make our community as closed as it is now. New people are a good thing, and considering the fact that the console version of Smash4 is right around the corner and games like Town of Salem are gaining popularity, this is our chance to get some people into our community.

FWIW This isn't a "LETS FIX THESE THINGS" post. This is a "Lets bring attention to this major issue. I'll start with my opinion" post. 100% my opinion. Could be wrong, but this is meant to start discussion.

Tl;dr version: Put nicknames next to usernames on vote counts, stop giving bad meta a free pass, explain inside jokes to newer players so they will understand how we create reads on one another, turn down the insults in-game a little bit, explain your thoughts on why a newer player is scummy to you, stop trolling the social, turn down the intensity of the super srs discussions, find ways to advertise our community or some specific games (Smash4 mafia, anyone?), and an introduction thread would be nice. All my opinion obv.

Obligatory I wrote this at 2-4 AM, so sorry for typos.

Last edited:

Maven89

Smash Master
I was definitely confused my first game and it took me a while to realize Kantrip, Kantplay, Potato, and Potassium were all the same person. Only way I kept track was because Mac had what you suggested, and in his "modbot" configuration he had all the names of Potassium listed.

For #2, that at least never bothered me but I'm use to conversations were friends insult each other, dudes just do that. lots of people don't though so I can see where that'd cause problems.

For advertising: I'd suggest a SSB4 mafia game, maybe heavy on the flavor to ease new people in. They know the characters, and they know what the characters do, so it'd be easier to understand what's going on. Maybe only allow a few (1-2) veteran players in who you know who would be kind/helpful and not just insult people (no Gorf, sorry man). Maybe the Admins of this site could be convinced to have an announcement for this place? A 'Hey everyone in case you didn't know, we got bad ass mafia games here!"

I'm not sure about critique, people did critique me in my game, but I guess if I wasn't so strange with it they probably wouldn't have said a thing.

Meta is a thing I noticed, and honestly I feel like it just shouldn't slide. 'I always do scummy things as townie" should just get the person lynched every game until they stop doing that.

edit: Also I'd suggest a real Newbie Guide thread. Not links to Mafiascum, since you guys play differently. Something explaining common roles, set ups, and guides to playing those roles. That way you don't have a situation where a new guy gets an investigation role then just claims immediately d1 to stop himself getting lynched, everyone ******* and kills him and the guy leaves having no idea what just happened.

And if you are going to have Meta, I also suggest a (gasp) Meta thread where we just list it and update it. I feel like if people actually just had their meta posted for everyone to see they'd be way more likely to change up. And if not, at least new players could come in and instantly understand what's normal for a person or what isn't

Last edited:

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
For #2, that at least never bothered me but I'm use to conversations were friends insult eachother, dudes just do that. lots of people don't though so I can see where that's cause problems.
#2 should be #3, right?

Outside of that, I agree completely! Especially with Smash4 themed mafia. The easiest way to get newer players involved in a game is to make a game revolved around a strong common interest!

I may accidentally gloss over critique comments altogether when I read through games honestly. That could be me and I could be 100% wrong. I just don't see nearly as much critique as there used to be. We used to have a thread dedicated to critique, but I don't think that worked out well in the long run for one reason or another.

Maven89

Smash Master
Yeah I got those numbers mixed up.

I feel critique is best left for the end of the game, so the details are still fresh, instead of a critique thread where I feel it'd just be ganging up on a few people and generally insulting them. Also, at least for me, when I was critiqued in my first game it was only by one guy, who I thought was mafia, which made me way less receptive to what he was saying. After the game when there's no reason for trickery is the best place for critique.

Last edited:

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Part of the meta issue is newer (by now older) players seeing experienced players use it correctly and then copying it without knowing proper application, then experienced players quit and the meta mechanic became a cesspool. Introduction thread is cool if you make it fun (think those stupid faceboob surveys). Also I was surprised when I was the first thing mentioned in ur list of **** gone wrong LOL

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I was gonna wait to talk, but since the subject has been broached, I'll say my peace.

The community we have right now is trash garbage compared to the one we used to have and I think it's mostly our faults for just letting it happen. What happened in the AnonCo thread is absolutely disgusting and I agree fully with Raz's post at the end of it. That should serve as a wake-up call to everyone with a shred of decency. The number of people we've had quit due to the atmosphere of this place and the treatment of the players here is waaaaaaay too high for a community complaining about low member count. The difficulty we've had in member retention and the fact that I have encountered resistance to play based on simply the reputation DGames has garnered is astonishing. What's the problem? Look around you. In both our games and our social thread, we create an environment in which people do not feel welcome.

First, let's look at our games. We have disregarded rule number one for a long time now, and that needs to stop. Laundry, Zen, Gheb, Marshy, Soup, Gorf, and myself all need to stop treating other players like dirt. However, beyond that, think about how we treat new players. What I've noticed is that it goes one of two ways. Either we ignore them or someone baits them into a furious post to test their reaction. This used to work, but DGames has become a mostly inhospitable place to the truly nice players and there are no longer those players who used to work to make sure new players felt welcome and to help and advise them through their games. The environment is not one that makes people want to stick around with all the ad hominem and constantly telling people they should stop playing or that if this is what they believe that they have no reason to post their reads.

So how do players become plugged into our community? It's obviously not through games that so often become seething pits of malice. It should be through our social thread. So let's just pop in and see "What the ****?" Our social thread spends very brief periods between mostly dead and heavy topics that are off putting to people new to the community because the only people left are the DGames politcal crew. I've long since quit refreshing DGames Social on a regular basis because it's no longer become a place where I want to interact (and I think others would mirror this sentiment). Nowadays, I have no inclination to look to DGames to form my competitive Splatoon team when doing so means I have to navigate an ongoing conversation about whether or not objectification of women for the sales of video games is morally wrong.

I highlighted a couple of specific problems here, but the real issue is that DGames as a whole sticks its head in the sand when **** happens. Gorf says some stupid **** and some people enjoy his brand of trolling and join it. Someone gets offended and fights back and proceeds to get made an utter fool out of while the bullies are laughing. What's the rest of DGames doing? They're looking the other way. They're not Mods or anything. The same **** happens in games as well. I would ask, can we please stop doing that? The next time someone does something stupid, can we make sure it isn't tolerated? This might be a little odd coming from me as I used to be a major offender, but the degree to which this place has deteriorated is not okay. Let's try sticking up for one another instead of just leaving.

@#HBC | Zen @ #HBC | Laundry #HBC | Laundry @Jdietz43

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I have ideas on how to attract new players. I could probably increase this place's active player count by three right now if it weren't for the fact that we have major issues we need to correct before attempting to retain players.

We need not worry about attracting new players until we have enacted some kind of official or informal community reform on our own.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I'm not kidding. If he continues as he has been, good riddance. He's long since stopped being funny and I would love to see him banned if he doesn't shape up. I've talked to the guy often and I don't have a problem with him so long as he isn't posting on SWF.

Maven89

Smash Master
Ok then. I'll pose as a drug dealer, Marshy will be the lookout. Jex can be our getaway driver. When I met up with him to sell him walrus Ryker can bash his head in with a hammer. Then once we're done playing with his body and toasting his stash we bury it in Rake's backyard and have him be the fall guy.

Dgames saved

Handorin

Smash Hero
Meta is a thing I noticed, and honestly I feel like it just shouldn't slide. 'I always do scummy things as townie" should just get the person lynched every game until they stop doing that.
Just wait until this guy plays a game with me.

EDIT: But really, on top of me not playing because I'm often busy, it's because the games aren't enjoyable all the time. Mafia is about debating and not bickering, crying, name calling, etc. Want to know why I often skim the thread? I straight up say it when I play: Because it's mostly garbage. I don't have time to read walls of it.

I rarely come into the social anymore because it's almost an extension. The topic has extended for the past 1-3 pages and I don't want to catch up to say something relevant.

@ #HBC | Ryker #HBC | Ryker Hit me up with that splatoon. I'd like to get it too.

Last edited:

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Heavy topics being discussed is one of the few reasons i even bother coming back here. That said, there should be more room for other topics imo

Maven89

Smash Master
I agree, I like the serious conversations. I don't think there'd be enough activity to warrant a serious/non serious social thread. Guess next time there's a serious conversation people could make a thread about it in Debate Hall and link it here so we can just cross over and post there

JeXs

Smash Champion
The new daylight saving time thing is really going to screw up my perception of time....

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
My turn I guess.

[collapse=story time with papa laundry]@ #HBC | Ryker #HBC | Ryker pointed this out to me when he prompted me into the discussion with him but this place reminds me of a ****hole I ran into the ground awhile ago. It ain't a well kept secret that a bunch of us originated from General Silliness on AllisBrawl and migrated here after that place went to the ****ter. What is something that's not frequently discussed is we were at one point very similar to this place, except the quality of games was significantly worse than it was here (way worse players and hosts imo). So a bit of backstory:

GS used to be very heavily into mafia, thanks to a certain @Vult Redux (then named Sprite or Dr. Sprite) introducing us to the game during a summer. It blew up out of control after he ran a second one and then I ran a third one because enough of a demand existed for it. At one point GS had a couple of 30-man games run, that's how many players we could pull into a mafia game. For awhile, we were managing around 20 players per game. It got so big that it drove our community. It wasn't the only thing we did, as we were still by and large an off-topic community, but it was a very heavy draw and we certainly had a few members there that came solely to play mafia.

What happened?

Well, me, for one. I was very poorly equipped to be a mod at the time and I had no idea of this, so I gladly took the position when Dacidbro decided to vouch for me to get it. My ineptitude and general insecurity and problems spilled out because I was moderating an off-topic community that loved to take potshots and push the line. That wrecked my weak mentality further and eventually I had to quit because I just couldn't handle it anymore. The problems that occurred were before I quit. I was sentimental when I shouldn't have been, constantly needed to be reassured that I was doing a good job, and was constantly making tighter and tighter rules that struck the place down, half the time probably because I just didn't like what I was doing. I didn't really infract people too often outside of usual **** (i.e. cancer dodging, spamming a ****ton, inappropriate ****, the like) but the idea of me making things against the rules was something that group didn't care for.

Mafia fell off a cliff too--we constantly ran games for awhile and then everyone on it just left. We pushed games into a specific subforum just for them and the old adage "outta sight, outta mind" proved true. People didn't check as frequently, other things preoccupied people from playing (the great plague known as "League of Legends" came out right around the time where we declined), people vanished, people stopped caring, and people stopped coming. Mafia became less fun and people stopped playing. We could no longer fill games anymore.

It also severely did not help that we had a group of consistent trolls that made everyone for the most part miserable. This didn't stop others from befriending them because, as far as I'm aware of, a bunch of them still hang out and associate. The fact that they had friends made community pull to keep them around stronger and it made them harder to remove them as a result. Their behavior just drove people away while playing the system just enough to avoid getting permanently banned. I contemplated and requested bans for them a few times but I could never secure them because they weren't overt enough to get infracted yet still questionable enough to warrant the inquiry. The whole time they were obnoxious assholes that made some people very, very miserable.

Does that sound familiar to you? Because it sounds familiar to me.

No, our moderators aren't insecure power-hungry dip****s but they are causing problems because they're too lax. GS was intensely more problematic to moderate because the mods had specific instructions to go light on certain infractions, and thus that created a lot of gray area. DGames doesn't have that same affinity. The only thing we should get off on is double posting. Yet, we allow Gorf to absolutely **** on people like Badwolf and make him feel completely unwelcome here, players are rampant assholes in game, and we're hemorrhaging players as a result. While the whole blame doesn't fall squarely on their shoulders, better moderation, if only to say "hey knock that off" whether that be in-game or out and hand out punishment when the problem persists (either due to flagrant dismissal of the mod's warning or through habitual pattern over a period of time), would help a lot. It may curb some of the assholish behavior that had gotten out of hand before. If Marshy, Ruy, and Raz aren't enough, get another mod. We've had three before.

The other two points are obvious. We've lost players so mafia games are getting staler and this makes games less interesting so people want to play even less and we lose even more. We're down to the few diehards and the other occasional players we've forged to handle this ****hole that we can coerce into playing every now and again. I don't need to talk about assholes playing the system, we all know who they are.[/collapse]

That's what I see. That's what I think. Correct me if I'm wrong or if I missed important details, but we put this **** in the blender too long and I want things to finally be made right. I'm trying to do my part by being way less condescending in games. I'll be adding in a line or two into my signature to advertise the site wherever I post outside DGames. But I'm just one man. We need all of us to do something or else we're facing a very dire and very slow end.

Top Bottom