• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Forum Rules DGames/Mafiascum Crossover Mafia

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
i only have 9 ppl from here willing to play and thats assuming theyre still interested. if the scummers are still down its not enough for a large. unless ppl wanna do a smaller but i did advertise this as an epic large

Maven89

Smash Master
I mean, why not tell those MS people to go make an account here to play wth us? If were waiting on some archaic mod to approve the thread, just move the thread here

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
oh so move it here and try to rally up 16 players?

you kno what else is worth a shot? hitting up xkcd and seeing if i can gather some of their ppl

the first step is get a headcount from dgamers which i just asked in the private chat

@Chaco

got time for a game boi?

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
im sorry guys but ima call this off for now. theres less interest and i dont want to scrounge for players. perhaps i can get the mafiascum man to give the setup the greenlight and we can give it a shot next summer

Last edited:

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
yo guys im hittin up xkcd and seeing if theyre down for a cross site game. right now i got

maven
kantrip
ran
ruy
spak
frozen

interested. we would play at their place and rajam would mod. if anyone is interested in joining this then say so. im talking to their people now

EDIT rajam we gonna need you to be flexible with the setup. not sure how many people we are going to get. hopefully a decent amount

Last edited:

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
  • Maven89
  • Red Ryu
  • Ranmaru
  • Kantrip
  • Spak
  • Frozenflame
  • heuristically alone
  • BoomFrog
  • Sabrar
  • Peaceful Whale
  • Bessie
  • Dark Horse
  • Znirk (traveling and semi-offline the last week of September)
  • jimbobmacdoodle (there will be a few periods in the September/October time when my activity will be very low, but I should still be able to handle a game)
  • moody7277
  • plytho
  • Madge (this looks like fun but if the email bug isn't fixed I might not be very active)

this is the playerlist so far. 17 ppl. game is best run with 24 but we can modify it as is. however id like more so this is the last call for dgames ppl to hop in. ive played with all of the names you see here minus heury and peaceful whale and can confirm theyre all good players. i think their styles will mesh well with us so if anyone wants to try out something new holla @ me

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
xkcd games over. i consider it a success. we can host a mafiascum game whenever. the mods there said so. we will see

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Thanks for hosting bro. I'll be taking a long break though. If there is a green room hit me up.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Sounds good I might be playing at that time then.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
You guys did so well. Definitely need to bump up Maven's stat values. Probably have enough for Frozen now. Still need some more data for Spak.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Ran, how the hell did you come up with that case on Sabrar? There was no evidence for your accusations, but you were exactly right!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Hosting that game makes me wish I had ran my Death Note mafia while people still played.

It was going to be... interesting.

Edit:

Basic premise was that the Death Note was given to someone in the game at random. Every player would be a real-life person from a certain period of time (100 year gap) with the appropriate age given where they are in the timeline.

E.g., if you're someone born in 1985 and your character is 20 with a birthday of January 1st, you could determine the year is 2005.

That means someone born in 1995 would be 10 years old. If the player playing the character born in 1995 was Noah Gray-Cabey, a hint for that player that could be discovered would be "Spent time with Steve Harvey on a sketch show" or "Plays piano" or "is currently filming a feature film written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan to be released next year".

Players would actively be using the internet to scour for clues to figure out who people were and could visit other rooms to gain a clue for anyone else in the room. Players could also write their own "red herrings" to try to throw off the killer.

The holder of the death note would have a few advantages -- the foremost being that he has the death note -- but also a strong disadvantage: he has to win the game under a certain time limit. After a certain number of days, he must have eliminated all opposing players. In the case of a tie, the holder of the Death Note loses.

The "currency" of the game would not be the number of players -- victory is binary, you win or you lose. Instead, it would be the Days available to the holder of the Death Note. As players gain advantages like Red Herrings, he gains time. As the DN holder gains advantages, he loses time.

It'll be interesting to run someday. Originally it was planned to be run with an entry fee and cash prize, though I don't know if that'd work now with less mafia interest.

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I think a cash prize would def pique some interest.
It would definitely make things more interesting and encourage involvement.

My ideal was something small - $3 to $5 entry fee.

Town would have a point system. I'm not sure exactly how I'd do it. Something like each Night town would submit their thoughts on who had the Death Note, for each Night you get it correct, you gain a point. This would continue throughout the game and then money would be divided amongst the top X townies. Would likely need other ways of getting points, like being on a vote for the owner of the death note or being on his lynch, etc. Would have to figure that out, because if I did like a 12 man game at $5 a person, that's $60. Splitting evenly amongst 11 would obviously not be worth it as everyone would risk $5 to gain less than $0.50, but splitting to top three would be $20 per player. So I'd want to narrow it down, but it's also necessary to consider that they might die mid-game due to the Death Note, which might complicate things! Even if you were right on the first Night, you'd lose to someone who got it right on Night 3 and 4 if you died on N1 and they didn't.

If the owner of the Death Note wins, he gets the majority of the pot. 10% would go towards "other", whatever that would be. Potentially towards mods if needed, likely towards Town players that have a certain score.

The current setup has a "shop" that allows players to spend in-game currency. You can buy walkie-talkies for hidden masonries, pen and paper to drop notes, masks to hide your face for a day, that kinda stuff, but town can't afford them individually and have to pool money to afford them. I could use that in some way to determine town point value.

Regardless it'd be a fun as hell game to play and the setup could be reused infinitely, so it could technically be a constant game.

I hope I could run it someday. The idea of town actually weighing if a lynch is a good choice or not would be a huge game changer. There would be no deadline -- Night only occurs after town lynches someone. Shopping at the store or visiting rooms only happens during the Night phase. Every Night phase, the holder of the Death Note would get more information and town would have one less member. During the Day phase, the holder of the Death Note can write as many names as he would like, meaning he could technically win D1 if town avoided lynches. This also means the holder of the death note can't lose to randomness, as when it gets down to 3 people there's a 33% chance that the holder could lose by chance... but he doesn't have to get there. He could just kill 8 people at once when he knows who they are.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Ran, how the hell did you come up with that case on Sabrar? There was no evidence for your accusations, but you were exactly right!
Like you said, it was merely speculation. I thought he was scum with Moody, turns out he was just second team scum. I didn't consider that.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Death Note game sounds pretty dope, definitely something I'd throw some cash at to play.

An idea I had to maybe approach a solution to the payout issues would be to require that whoever rolls Death Note Owner has to pony up a bet equal to the total bets of all the town players. This way, if Kira wins then he doubles up. If the townies win, they all double up using the big bet made by Kira. Or you come up with some way to pay out the town on a gradient with the "lowest scoring" townies just getting their money back and the top players getting something slightly less than double, with amounts decreasing toward money back as you go down the rankings depending on how many payout tiers you want. I haven't thought this through really but the idea just kinda popped into my head as I was reading OS's above post.

Also OS I appreciate the shoutouts you gave in crossover post game. Recognizing my strategy in the massclaim and calling it the best played claim means a lot. I also really ****ing appreciate the "your posts felt like a dog walker walking 12 dogs" sentiment soooo much hahaha I feel that so hard, just couldn't quite describe it that accurately. Unfortunately the way a lot of the XKCDers play frustrates me a bit and exasperates me when I try to read them or persuade them because it feels like nothing that should work actually does.

Sorry Ran, Xiivi, Maven, and Spak for having ****ty game, wish I coulda done better by you townbros instead of being pretty much THE critical mislynch of the game. RR I aint sayin sorry to you bruh, you played me so ****ing hard and rode that **** to victory lmao, gratz dude gg

OS and Marshy mad props on the setup and running that behemoth game. Well, behemoth by today's standards atleast haha. Liked a lot of the design choices even if I felt the town rope was a little thin after all the cuts that had to be made. Modkills always throw of the ability to really perceive how stable/volatile the setup balance was though so not getting hung up on that though. Was awesome to see so many "classic OS" mechanics make a return but with some neat new flavour. Just overall glad yall made such a great showing of the quality of modding that Dgames has to offer

Last edited:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Sorry Ran, Xiivi, Maven, and Spak for having ****ty game, wish I coulda done better by you townbros instead of being pretty much THE critical mislynch of the game. RR I aint sayin sorry to you bruh, you played me so ****ing hard and rode that **** to victory lmao, gratz dude gg
It's all good bro I made plenty of mistakes too I was too paranoid in the end I am wrong anyway even if I tried to re-evaluate. At some point I was like 'aight i have to just stick with it' you know. I kinda threw the game when I switched from boom to you. meh.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's all good bro I made plenty of mistakes too I was too paranoid in the end I am wrong anyway even if I tried to re-evaluate. At some point I was like 'aight i have to just stick with it' you know. I kinda threw the game when I switched from boom to you. meh.
Thinking back to the critical moment re: me vs. boomfrog as candidates, I definitely couldve done more to help myself than I did. I should have stuck with my guns from my earlier read on the slot. I had Boomfrog in my scummy pile all game he was just never my top pick. I just started giving him a town pass when LaserGuy started obnoxiously tunneling me and threw off my focus. Boom did step up though in the late game so he definitely helped his case in getting me to not want to pressure him but if I had been more willing to stick my vote on him I think I couldve kept the momentum that way. Funny how your "stick with it" sent you the wrong way and my refusal to "stick with it" because I got paranoid sent ME the wrong way. Just one of those funny things about how mafia can go. Boom also buttered me up a lot like RR did by telling me what I wanted to hear while I was feeling persecuted. Definite some strong scum play there from both of em.

Ultimately what I'm most disappointed about is how there wasnt a turn on Sabrar. I tried to highlight my growing suspicion of him as I was going down and the fact that Xiivi and I both flipped town I think was a great indicator of Sab scum. He turned on both of us over time ya know? Wouldve been so satisfying to atleast see him get the noose but alas

Just more salt to keep me hungry for next time ;)

Top Bottom